IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix (no windows)

doubravsky

15 gal... planted spring '06.

Covered with a sheet... no damage at 24 degrees. This palm is turning out to be truly hardy!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

My three Beccariophoenix are four to eight feet tall and are in the coldest part of my grove, hit 25F and the Beccariophoenix were not damaged.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

20 gallonish size in ground. No damage after 29 with no frost.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hmm.

Mine, no cover, about 29 FF, serious damage, though I might be off on the temps.  

(Covered tonight!)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Four solid nights of 28-29 F(-1 C) out in the open, this guy looks like toast.  :(

post-208-1169347505_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

rapped up like crazy in the ground at around 3 feet tall ish. 30% burn at about 23 in that part of the yard.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

OUCH!

Four nights of 28-29 F.

But, growing again . . . .

post-208-1170011846_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

One two-gallon plant (character leaves) planted out last year under evergreen canopy in a wind-protected area, with leaf-mulch. most exposed leaf-tissue was killed in a 15-hour freeze, to 23.3F, on 3 January 2008. The plant is still very much alive, lower leaf-areas and spear still green. As with alfredii, am hopeful this will gain hardiness with size.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 2 weeks later...

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 28 2007,13:17)

OUCH!

Four nights of 28-29 F.

But, growing again . . . .

Dave, did you ever find out what happened here.  You seemed to have uncharacteristic damage.  Was it new?  Did you get more frost? Was it a strange psychic force :-)?

I am thinking of growing this palm.  Other experiences make me enthusiastic, yours scares me.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 1 year later...

I have 2 Beccariophoenix, madagascariensis and alfredii. Both have taken 3 weeks of sub zero temps with at least 2 excursions to -4c/24.8v and 2 lower dips to -5c/23f. very minor damage but generally both looking good.

They were covered in a 4 tier mini g along with a Jubaeopsis caffra which has taken substantial damage.

both Beccariophoenix are in pots the Jubaeopsis is in the ground.

Regards Andy.

Edited by AJQ

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

• 4 weeks later...