IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dead Barn Owl found

MattyB

Thanks for posting this Matt. We also have lots of Barn Owls here our are a little lighter coloured. They like to fly alongside my car at night. Sometime I swear that they are looking into my eyes. Cheers Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Wow I missed all the action on the owl thread while I was sleeping.... I just woke up two hours ago. Lots of things were introduced to Hawaii... some ideas dumber than others... like the mongoose. (which kills ground nesting birds) The Pueo is the native owl and it is diurnal. We saw one flying one time while on saddle road. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueo

The barn owl was probably introduced to deal with the rat and mice.

That is so cool that you saw a great horned owl Matty. Not so cool for the owl to see a hawk since they prey on owls!! Just make sure the owl box is a good distance from your bedroom or be prepared to use some earplugs. They get really noisy!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Here's a really cool barn owl link http://www.burdr.com/2010/03/watch-molly-the-barn-owl-live-on-ustream/ (my mother, the PT lurker wanted me to post that link for everyone)

Here's a nice site to get familiar with the barn owl's different calls. I've heard the twittering call before and didn't know what the heck it was. It was really noisy.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

After all the discussion, I've decided to put up 2 kinds of owl boxes - one for barn owls and one for screech owls. I was only going to put up the one for barn owls bu when I cam home last night I spotted a screech owl flying and landing in one of my gumbo limbo trees. So now I will put up both boxes. As I have a barn, what better place to put a barn owl box?

I love owls, probably my favorite bird. An owl was Minerva's constant companion in Roman mythology. And she was the goddess of war and wisdom. My favorite of all the gods and goddesses in Roman and Greek mythology. I mean, what kind of woman can spring fully grown from her father's head? A very strong one!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL