IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beccariophoenix Breakdown

MattyB

Chicka Chicka Breakdown! :mrlooney:

We periodically have Beccariophoenix threads where people often ask for clarification regarding the three different species. I'm lucky to have all three growing in my garden so I thought I'd take some pics and share what I've learned. This isn't from the books, so I may not have all the correct terms or descriptions. This is just my observations.

Here's all three from closest to farthest:

B. alfredii

B. madagascarensis (formerly known as 'no windows')

B. sp. 'windows' (does this thing have a real name yet?)

They are all growing in full, all day, 9 miles inland SoCal sun. Soil is rocky. Watering is done by hose, approximately 5-10 gallons each, once a week.

This pic was taken at 7:45am, just as they start to see sun, and they will be in full, unobstructed sun, on this west facing slope, until sunset over the horizon; this time of year is well after 7pm.

post-126-031902100 1314385136_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

soooo what have you learned? :interesting:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Beccariophoenix sp. 'windows'

This has been in the ground approximately 3 years from a 5 gallon pot. It's base is no more than 3" in diameter and it stands about 3' tall. This is the first year that the new leaves are coming out sun acclimated. This is the least sun tolerant Beccariophoenix, at least when young, here in the low humidity of SoCal. My infrequent watering schedule and some earlier battles with gophers probably don't help with sun acclimation either. It also seems to suffer from yellowing due to lack of nutrients, especially in Winter. I've gotta stay on top of fertilizing with this one but once I do throw down some fertilizer it helps noticeably. No cold damage, or even minor spotting, whatsoever at several nights in the upper 30's. All brown tips and general crispiness is due to lack of water and sun. Hopefully I can get this thing looking good once I get the drip irrigation down here.

Identifying this palm is very easy due to the distinct 'windows' in the leaves. I love how the compact sun grown leaf almost looks like a fan palm.

post-126-062318700 1314385472_thumb.jpg

post-126-096592800 1314385476_thumb.jpg

post-126-079865800 1314385482_thumb.jpg

post-126-004506700 1314385488_thumb.jpg

post-126-040647400 1314385496_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Beccariophoenix madagascariensis

This has been in the ground approximately 3 years from a 30 gallon pot. This is the largest palm I've ever planted. I usually have trouble digging a 5 gallon hole but somehow I managed to excavate a very large hole in this spot, which was comprised of mostly large, basketball sized boulders that I could pry out. Bill Sanford helped me slide this thing down my hill on a sheet of cardboard. Paul and I planted it, and Paul has the scar on his head to prove it. :unsure: The palm was mad at Paul and pile drove his head into a sharp jagged rock. "Stupid palm! (squirt squirt blood blood)" It's base is about 6" in diameter and it stands about 7' tall. This palm originated from a grower in Florida and all the Florida grown leaves brown tipped. All the new, California grown leaves, approximately 5 of them, are sun acclimated and have minimal to no brown tipping. No cold damage, or even minor spotting, whatsoever at several nights in the upper 30's.

Identifying this palm when young is the same as when it's older: upright, shuttle cock appearance in habit. They have a small heel as well if I remember correctly. When young this is the slowest Beccariophoenix. Also, the leaves are held in more of a 'V' than the other, flatter leaved Beccariophoenix. Notice the terminal leaflets, like a lot of other palms, are smaller in length than the other leaflets. This is especially important when comparing to B. alfredii which as very long terminal leaflets.

post-126-076422300 1314386038_thumb.jpg

post-126-043952600 1314386045_thumb.jpg

post-126-007248600 1314386053_thumb.jpg

post-126-099112600 1314386059_thumb.jpg

post-126-085794400 1314386070_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

lookin good !

Wont be long before the Alfredii will start looking like a cocos ! :D

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Beccariophoenix alfredii

This has been in the ground approximately 3 years from a 3 gallon pot. It's base is about 2" in diameter and it stands about 4' tall. This palm came from Ortanique originally, sold as 1 leaf seedlings. Unfortunately I learned the hard way that they require a very open, well draining mix when young, because I rotted all of mine out. Luckily Matt Patricelli had my back and hooked me up with another one...or two maybe I killed some more. :blink: Once past the seedling stage, which happens very quickly as this is the fastest Beccariophoenix for us here, it can root out a pot in no time and demands to be planted out. No cold damage, or even minor spotting, whatsoever at several nights in the upper 30's.

When young this palm looks similar to B. madagascariensis but it's not as upright. Also, unlike B. madagascariensis it does form 'windows' in the leaves, but not anywhere near as pronounced as B. sp. 'windows'. The leaves are very flat and wide. Notice the terminal leaflets; they are almost the same size as all the other leaflets, leaving an open space at the end of the frond. B. alfredii is unique in the lower petiole color, which has a speckled purpley/brown color, similar to what I've seen on Livistona decora and Queen palms; sort of like a ripening passion fruit shell.

post-126-050725500 1314386693_thumb.jpg

post-126-016644500 1314386704_thumb.jpg

post-126-054733500 1314386711_thumb.jpg

post-126-084898100 1314386721_thumb.jpg

post-126-006314300 1314386727_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Great pictures Matt! All 3 look really good; the new leaves on the "windows" look perfect. I was wondering where you got such a large madagascariensis from; thought maybe Phil had a secret stash..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Can you imagine how long that would take to grow here in CA? It was a trade with a friend.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Great info matt. i just planted a tall one gallon alfredii out. ive been drowning it 3 times a week as i was told they LOOOOOVVEEEE water. i hope mine doesnt rot. looking good...

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Destined to become a classic reference thread...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

THESE ARE THE BREAKS . . . .

Clap your hands everybody

If you got what it takes

'Cause I'm Kurtis Blow and I want you to know

That these are the breaks

Breaks on a bus brakes on a car

Breaks to make you a superstar

Breaks to win and breaks to lose

But these here breaks will rock your shoes

And these are the breaks

Break it up, break it up, break it up!

If your woman steps out with another man

(That's the breaks, that's the breaks)

And she runs off with him to Japan

And the IRS says they want to chat

And you can't explain why you claimed your cat

And Ma Bell sends you a whopping bill

With eighteen phone calls to Brazil

And you borrowed money from the mob

And yesterday you lost your job

Well, these are the breaks

Break it up, break it up, break it up

Throw your hands up in the sky

And wave 'em 'round from side to side

And if you deserve a break tonight

Somebody say alright! (All right)

Say ho-oo! (Ho-oo!)

And you don't stop

Keep on, somebody scream!( Owwwww!)

Break down!

Breaks on a stage, breaks on a screen

Breaks to make your wallet lean

Breaks run cold and breaks run hot

Some folks got 'em and some have not

But these are the breaks

Break down!

To the girl in brown, stop messing around

(Break it up, break it up)

To the guy in blue, whatcha gonna do?

To the girl in green, don't be so mean

And the guy in red, say what I said

Break down!

Brakes on a plane, brakes on a train

Breaks to make you go insane

Breaks in love, breaks in war

But we got the breaks to get you on the floor

And these are the breaks

Break down! Yo!

Just do it, just do it, just do it, do it, do it!

You say last week you met the perfect guy

And he promised you the stars in the sky

He said his Cadilac was gold

But he didn't say it was ten years old

He took you out to the Red Coach grill

But he forgot the cash and you paid the bill

And he told you the story of his life

But he forgot the part about...his wife!

(That's the breaks, Huh! Huh! that's the breaks)

Well, these are the breaks!

Break down!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I believe alfredii is the hardiest and is not as needy of extra nutrients as the other two. It can also take periodic inundation, during summer.

Matt, I concur. Can you do an A-Z breakdown on Dypsis as well this weekend?

Bret

Matt, I concur. Can you do an A-Z breakdown on Dypsis as well this weekend?

And my Tax return is due...... :mrlooney:

Excellent, MB! I have some alfredii coming and now know exactly where to put them and am really going to lighten up the soil.

More!

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Okay I have one in the ground that looks nothing like any of the above. When it stops raining I will get a photo to post and see what all the clever people have to say about it. btw Adam, it was planted straight into the ground in an non amended area with none of my usual little time of planting additions and its thriving. Meanwhile the one with amended soil, good drainage and blah blah looks like something that survived a nuclear attack.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Okay I have one in the ground that looks nothing like any of the above. When it stops raining I will get a photo to post and see what all the clever people have to say about it. btw Adam, it was planted straight into the ground in an non amended area with none of my usual little time of planting additions and its thriving. Meanwhile the one with amended soil, good drainage and blah blah looks like something that survived a nuclear attack.

Peachy

You mean to say you chucked an alfredii straight into your black muck?

This is one pic worth lurking for!

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Peachy

You mean to say you chucked an alfredii straight into your black muck?

This is one pic worth lurking for!

Well its still pouring here so it might be long wait. Anyhow, wozzen wot dunnit ya Onna, it were me mates from Siddanee. Brodklop brought it over as a post diluvian cheer up prezzie and had it in the ground before I had time to grab anything from my bags of tricks.

as always innocent of palm cruelty, Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I just checked the Brizzy radar - could be a bit of a wait...........................

MB, what do you use as fertiliser?

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Adam,

I use a brand called Vigoro - Palm and Ixora Fertilizer

It's the cheapest, well balanced stuff you can buy around here. It's not slow release but I've never had a problem throwing a handfull or two on each palm, two times a year.

Here's the breakdown!!!!!!

The Guaranteed Analysis 8-4-8 Plus Minors

Total Nitrogen----------------8.0%

1.56% Ammoniacal Nitrogen

6.44% Urea Nitrogen

Available Phosphate--------------4.0%

Soluble Potash--------------------8.0%

Total Magnesium-----------------1.1%

1.1% Water Soluble Magnesium

Sulfur-----------------------------2.1%

Boron----------------------------0.02%

Total Copper--------------------0.05%

Total Iron------------------------1.5%

Molybdenum---------------------0.0005%

Total Zinc------------------------0.05%

Just a few weeks ago, I started an experiment with some 2 year, slow release fertilizer tablets made for the forestry industry. My hopes are that I'll only have to fertilize once a year at the most. It's really a pain in the butt for me since I use drip irrigation and have to apply the fertilizer into a hole I poke at each drip emitter. That's hundreds of emitters burried in the mulch that I have to crawl around on my hands an knees to find on the slope. Back breaking in it's own way.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Adam,

It's the cheapest, well balanced stuff you can buy around here. It's not slow release but I've never had a problem throwing a handfull or two on each palm, two times a year.

6.44% Urea Nitrogen

Just a few weeks ago, I started an experiment with some 2 year, slow release fertilizer tablets made for the forestry industry. My hopes are that I'll only have to fertilize once a year at the most. It's really a pain in the butt for me since I use drip irrigation and have to apply the fertilizer into a hole I poke at each drip emitter. That's hundreds of emitters burried in the mulch that I have to crawl around on my hands an knees to find on the slope. Back breaking in it's own way.

Oy Matty, won't the bigger/older palms be satisfied with deep layers of mulch and get their happiness from just that ? (devil's advocate question)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks for all the great information, entertainment and photos! I have nothing to add except a photo of my Beccariophoenix windows as of last week. A great grower in full sun in Puerto Rico, never fertilized or had any care other than encroaching vines removed 3-4 times a year.

post-4111-040549900 1314403233_thumb.jpg

post-4111-095569800 1314403260_thumb.jpg

Cindy Adair

Great little thread demonstrating the differences well.

I've found that B sp windows absolutely demands acid soil. Without it, you get a palm that seems to have an unquenchable thirst for iron. Cameleas and Azaleas get the same issue when grown on neutral to alkaline soils. They become iron deficient due to the soil holding on to iron much stronger than the plant can extract it. I've changed my mix to an acid one with a pH in the 5's and they don't get the deficiencies at all. B sp windows is growing for me really well for the first time. I used to get iron deficiencies in the pot regardless of how much iron I applied in chelated and ionic form. B madagascariensis gets it slightly but on about a 1/4 of the scale to B sp windows, and B alfredii wouldn't care less about things provided the soil is free draining. It would be interesting to know what your soil pH is.

So where does Beccariophoenix "Pointy Seed" fit in? 4th species???????? So much for the monotypic genus just a few years back. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks for all the great information, entertainment and photos! I have nothing to add except a photo of my Beccariophoenix windows as of last week. A great grower in full sun in Puerto Rico, never fertilized or had any care other than encroaching vines removed 3-4 times a year.

Nice plant. Are you on humus rich acid soil?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Matty Bergman! Nice job. Please have some low 30/high 20 temps this year so I can have a USEFUL cold reference. Thanks!

Mike in Scripps Ranch

Zone 10a, 9 miles from ocean

Looking good Matt. I have found that BM and BA love water. I can't over water in my DG. Once I added additional sprayers they both started taking off.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks for the info Matt. I have 2 of the three & know now which one I need to get. :)

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Adam,

6.44% Urea Nitrogen

Thanks MB!

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

I've found that B sp windows absolutely demands acid soil. Without it, you get a palm that seems to have an unquenchable thirst for iron. Cameleas and Azaleas get the same issue when grown on neutral to alkaline soils. They become iron deficient due to the soil holding on to iron much stronger than the plant can extract it. I've changed my mix to an acid one with a pH in the 5's and they don't get the deficiencies at all. B sp windows is growing for me really well for the first time. I used to get iron deficiencies in the pot regardless of how much iron I applied in chelated and ionic form. B madagascariensis gets it slightly but on about a 1/4 of the scale to B sp windows, and B alfredii wouldn't care less about things provided the soil is free draining. It would be interesting to know what your soil pH is.

That would explain why they grow so well on the Big Island. Something about massive amounts of sulfuric acid in the rain...

In Vista, all my Hydrangeas are pink (with no chance of blue), and in Pahoa, all my Hydrangeas are blue (with no chance of pink).

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

The only one I've been able to get through the winters up here is alfredii.

Great little thread demonstrating the differences well.

I've found that B sp windows absolutely demands acid soil. Without it, you get a palm that seems to have an unquenchable thirst for iron. Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

Interesting perspective. If you're correct, it might be the "magic bullet" folks have been looking for regarding the "windows" form. Simple enough that even I can understand it. I've also had issues with some smaller ones yellowing, yet one in the ground is just getting really beefy & has no problems at all. I should measure the ph in the area it's growing; maybe it will confirm what you're thinking.

Bret

Bret

Madagascariensis.... This palm definitely takes some patience in Florida. This one has been in the ground 3 years from a 10 gallon. It looked like crap for 2 years even blowing over in 20mph winds. But this year it has taken off having already opened 4 new fronds, each one considerably larger than the last. I don't have a windows in the ground but there are plenty of large ones around central & south florida. So they can definitely be grown in alkaline soil with the right fertilizer regimen.

Classic post. Not only do we have a tutorial by MattyB, thanks, but we also had entertainment, thanks Dave!

I tried two Beccariophoenix this past year a madagascarensis and an alfredii only to see them destined for a slow death. Maybe we're too hot, too salty and too sandy down here.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Nice one Matt,

So where does B. High Plateau fit?

Is it the same as B.alfredii?

I think that we have B.no windows and B.high plateau here.

Both are growing well in almost full day sun on a well draining slope.

Ours are from seeds germinated in late 2008 from Jeff M. and are now close to 3ft tall.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Nice plant. Are you on humus rich acid soil?

Best regards

Tyrone

No idea since we've never had the soil tested. Looks brown (versus the red color not too far from us) and compares favorably to what we have in our Virginia Beach back yard and pretty much everything seems to grow that we've planted. The only plants that look deficient in something are the several Gnetum gnemons that have yellow leaves on each of the several small trees I've planted. They are alive, but NOT happy and I haven't figured out why. So whatever they need isn't in our soil...

Cindy Adair

Great thread. Are there not now 5 recognised forms? I think I read about a new form, in addition to Tyrone's pointy seed form, but I can't remember where! Maybe, it's just the 4. Mad and alf need heat, full sun and moisture for optimum growth rates. If I was starting again I would put sprouted seed of alfredii straight into the ground as germination rates are superb and they take full sun from the first leaf.

Has anyone ever heard of Beccariophoenix coastal form? Which one is this?

Maybe that's the 5th form I was thinking of though could be reference to windows (possibly to be named fenistralis?). Sorry, just adding to the confusion!

Yeomans work Matthew!! B)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matt,

Outstanding thread! :) We need more of these! I'm sure all three species will do extremely well for you in that location! And I'd love to come by one of these days and be impressed by everything you've done in such a relatively short amount of time! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, good Idea! I think I may do a Kentiopsis thread... complete with mini movies..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!