IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Most Prized Palm

Daryl

I guess my most portable prize palm is a one-gallon Jubaeaopsis caffra . . . .

(Over my dead body!)

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow, thanks to those who have responded so far. It is great to see so much variation in your tastes!

However, there are still a lot of you out there, including some who have magnificent collections, who have not nominated their most prized palm yet...

C'mon guys and girls..'fess up!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hey Daryl, why don't you tell everyone what your avatar palm is. Especially me, because I forgot and I'm using it on our next newsletter. Isn't that one of your prized jobs ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

My most prized palm is probably a nice 5-gallon size Brahea moorei.  I purchased it about 1 year ago when it was on the verge of death, but it's recovered nicely and is starting to look spectacular.

The most impressive palm I own is definitely my largest Bismarckia, which is now at least 250 cm tall...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Hi Wal, OK, yes, I do love them, but they are too large to move now. I have already transplanted one of mine from garden number 3 several years ago, so know that they transplant easily, but may just have to source a couple of smaller ones again...

What? Chambeyronia macrocarpa 'hookeri' of course! Definitely a 'must have' for any palm garden I think.

hookerimay406.jpg

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

My right palm...So sorry could not resist.

I would say my Phoenicophorium borsigianum.  (I hope I spelled that right, did not cheat and look)

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

• 5 months later...

Has anybody purchased newbies and now changed their opinion on most prized palm yet ?

I haven't, it's still green foxy lady, but as other palms grow , this could change. For example I have a Satakentia and a Neovietchia, now if they grow better, then the foxy lady may be relegated. I have a Roystonea violacea which too rates high in most prized because of it's outstanding growth this past year.

Here's update pics, taken 10 minutes ago.

The Foxy Lady

FoxyLady1Dec2006.jpg

Here's her chunky trunk base with my footware as perspective.

FoxyLady2Dec2006.jpg

Here's the Roystonea violacea front centre which has doubled in height in about 12 months. The adage, you grow well for me boys and girls, you get the prizes.

Royviolacea.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

For example I have a Satakentia and a Neovietchia, now if they grow better, then the foxy lady may be relegated.

Here they are as of now.

The Satakentia

Satakentia.jpg

The Neoveitchia

Neoveitchia.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bump !

Has anybody purchsaed newbies and now changed their opinion on most prized palm yet ?

anybody not in this thread want to nominate there most prized palm ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Daryl's Dypsis sp215 is more colourful when viewed personally than the pictures show, it certainly is different to any other species seen so far, a very beautiful palm. we offered to take it of Daryls hands but for some reason he declined the offer

guess we will just have to wait for the seeds :-)

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

I think I'll change my most prized palm... now it would be my

1 gal xLytoagrus dickensonii

or 3 gal variegated Bismarkia nobilis

The XLytoagrus would be replaceable but the variegated Bizzie wouldn't.

This is a very interesting thread you started Daryl (a long time ago I might add)..

JD

Oh, well let's see.......I think my Pseudophoenix ekmanii will have to get bumped up.  Or Euterpe precatoria......ahhhhh this is hard.

post-126-1166221947_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(palmsforpleasure @ Dec. 15 2006,14:11)

Daryl's Dypsis sp215 is more colourful when viewed personally than the pictures show, it certainly is different to any other species seen so far, a very beautiful palm. we offered to take it of Daryls hands but for some reason he declined the offer

guess we will just have to wait for the seeds :-)

regards

colin

I told Daryl I'm waitin too!!

I think my K. Piersoniorum is still there,but I have a lot of fans that like my Magnifica better.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(MattyB @ Dec. 15 2006,14:32)

Oh, well let's see.......I think my Pseudophoenix ekmanii will have to get bumped up.  Or Euterpe precatoria......ahhhhh this is hard.

Matt....you'll have to come visit soon....Picture a "Jabba the Hut" version of that Eckmanii you posted.. I picked up one with a Trunk as big as your thumb!!! :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Don't forget to let us know when the P. ekmannii looks like this! (In the Dominican Rep. when we flew out to a remote location in helicopters).

post-22-1166248016_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo- in another 40 years you'll be the first to know!! :D

Bill,

you're a real optimist! :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hmmm, my most prized palm? Well, I guess it would be my Trachycarpus fortunei Greensboro, as its is my largest palm. Pics will follow with me after Christmas, as I am finally getting a digicam. Its almost as tall as I am and maybe a bit taller than myself.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Mine would have to be same as Kev's - my Juania australis.  It has had one winter outside so far, planted out with plenty of high overhead evergreen cover, and is looking good.  Scratch that it is looking FANTASTIC.

Potentially, my most prized palm would be a 3 x hybrid Jubutyagrus.... IF.... it is the real thing.  At the moment it still looks like a plain old butia, in which case it was the most expensive butia anyone ever bought....

'The Essex Riviera'

Southeast England, UK

winter min usually -5C

Summer max usually 35C

Rainfall usually 20" (500mm)

I may have a "most expensive Butia anyone bought also..."  :(  ($650. for a 24" box...when I first started this hobby/obsession)

This is a great post...we all want to talk about our favorites!

This 18 ft. Trachy "wag" is not rare but was one of my first "non Queen palms..."

post-376-1166290689_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

....but my one gallon Butia archerii sits in a guarded position next to my "soon to be germinated" Jubaeopsis caffra seeds!

post-376-1166290832_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

I have been looking at this thread off and on. It's very good and interesting what everyone has listed. I'm trying to think what I would list, so here goes.

Probably some of the rare, hard to replace would be,

Dypsis bonsai

Pholidocarpus maidum

Dypsis dransfieldii

Syagrus petrea

Licuala sp. "Ahi"

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I'd have to go with one of my Lodoicea maldivica:

post-22-1166310654_thumb.jpg

OK this is quite hard, Let me first say that all of our palms are special in one way or another,so I will have to go with the ones that are hard to replace so here goes!

no1 Pritchardiopsis

no2 Burretiokentia Dumasii

no3 Medemia Argun

no4&5 both Lemurophoenix

There are 5 all ready I must face the fact that I could not just pick 5 sp its way to hard to leave out so many others that should also be on this list!!!So sorry I just cannot do it, Looks like I will never be moving! I could not part with any of these great palms. :o  :laugh:

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

After some thought I would have to say I could not live without my plain old ordinary Foxtail Palm. Wodyetia was my first garden addition. It always looks stunning whilst garnering me compliments from visiting friends and neighbors. Although I can't take all the credit,  I often do...

• Upvote 1

My list!

1  Dypsis manajarensis [ meally bug palm]

2  Dypsis St. Luce

3  Dypsis marojeya       [ Madagascan foxtail ]

4  Dypsis "Big Red"

5  Lemuirophoenix         [ Red lemur palm]

Thanks, Ron

That's a toughie. But, if I had to choose one, I guess it would be my hyophorbe verschafeltii. It's a marginal palm around here and I have a real beaut. I am going to post some updated pics shortly.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

#1 (Jubaea chilensis x Butia capitata) x S. romanzoffiana

#2 Dypsis decipiens

In my "ask me in 20 years" category:

#1  Jubaeopsis caffra

#2  Pseudophoenix sargentii

In my "I hope they will be hardy" category:

#1  Attalea cohune

#2  Corypha umbraculifera

#3  Various Copernicia and Cocothrinax

many more....

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I noticed a couple of you mentioned (Jubaea X Butia) X Syagrus.  I have one in a 5 gal container and it looks like the "real thing."  It looks something like a mule palm but it has a heavier texture.  It grew so fast I moved it up from a 4" liner into a 5 gal container, and now it's saying "Plant me"!

If some of you have one that looks like a Butia....then you may own a very expensive Butia.  You have to realize that when dealing with hybrid seeds, there is always the possibility of contamination from unwanted pollen.

All of the hybrid plants I've seen are a nice green color, and have none of the blue/gray color of Butia or Jubaea.  The exception is Jubaea X Butia.....It's grey/blue.

My current favorites, and that could change like the weather, are Parajubaea T V T and the Butia X Parajubaea, both exposed to 23.5 F night before last. Also my Bismarkia.  We shall see how they fair.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I have to say I couldn't part with my:

1 Moratia cerifera

2 Chambeyronia lepidota

3. Kentiopsis magnifica and Kentiopsis piersoniorum

4. Basselinia pancheri

5. Veillonia alba

Too hard to choose apart, and too hard to find again and too hard to part with!

Newcal

I'd love to find a Lepidota!

DEAN- HOWS THE WEATHER OVER THERE?WHEN ARE YOU COMING HOME TO YOUR REAL GARDEN?

DARYL-IF I COULD ONLY CHOOSE 1 PALM,IT WOULD BE THE B.HAPALA,THE ONE THAT DEAN WOULD CHOP DOWN BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE A KING.

MATT-MY GEONOMA IS KILLING IT,TWO LEAVES THIS WINTER!

RUSTY

• Upvote 1

coastal San Diego 10b winter(39f-75f)summer(60f-85f)

I gotta say without a doubt, my favorite is probably due to it being my very first . Bought at Phil's suggestion at Jungle Music,  I asked him that very question after being completly blown away by all of his palm inventory, if I could afford to buy only one (which was true at the time, wait, it still is true today) which one should I buy.

My most prized is the Hedyscepe canterburyana.

Which some might remember I was without up until about a month ago, when the most gracious new owner of my old house, allowed me to come over and dug it up.

It's back on my front porch in a pot and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it lives through the transplant.

I'm calling it an early Christmas present.

Whaaaaa hoooo ya all.  Merry Christmas!!  :laugh:

Has to be my Dypsis florencii but my Dypsis kingaly is running a close second by being in the coldest part of my yard and coming through these last couple days green as ever one tough palm.

Shon

San Marcos CA

I would have to say without a doubt my most prized and hard to replace palm would be my Dypsis That looks like the one in Jeff Searles "true Ambositrae" in habitat post. Next would be my Geonoma Undata's and my Psuedophoenix Sargentii.

post-351-1166677893_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Close up of white trunk.

post-351-1166678000_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Love that palm Steve.

Rusty, did you get your G. undata from Phil?  Does it throw a red leaf, or just have red petioles?  I think mine is the lowland form because it does not have a new red emergent leaf, only red petioles, and it jams faster in the summer.  It still grows fine during winter though.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Dec. 21 2006,01:37)

Love that palm Steve.

Rusty, did you get your G. undata from Phil?  Does it throw a red leaf, or just have red petioles?  I think mine is the lowland form because it does not have a new red emergent leaf, only red petioles, and it jams faster in the summer.  It still grows fine during winter though.

Thanks Matty, When It seeds I got one with your name on it :D . As far as the G. undata's go I'm not sure what I have. They almost croaked in the hot part of summer when we were away as they like to be misted and watered daily but are recovering nicely in our cooler weather now. They have red petioles and a hint of red in the new frond. I believe I got one from Phil and one from Jerry. I will be planting at least one this coming spring. Steve