IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Most Prized Palm

Daryl

I can't remember if this has been asked before on a previous thread, but:

If you were forced to leave all of your palm collection, but could only take one palm from your collection with you, what would it be?

No modesty here folks...c'mon!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

For me it would be a tie between Brahea decumbens and Butiagrus.

I'd say one of my Coccothrinax, Copernicia or Attalea.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Kentiopsis Piersoniorum. Still in a 5 gal bucket so its portable!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My Mighty Bismarkia Nobilis. Proud and blue!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

I think I would consider death before I had to give up any palms but if I had to keep just one, after much thought, it would probally be my 18' clear trunk Teddy who is soon to be  the proud new daddy to some beautiful baby Red Triangle palms. He is a great pollen donar.   :)

• Like 1

Give me palms, or give me DEATH!!

Click-click!

Oh, my, well, I guess negotiations have ended, hmm.

I love them all.  Each is wonderful.  Hmm.  A toss-up between the R. oleracea, the D. lepthocheilos, the D. oniliahensis and majanga . ..  

Oh, please, Mr. Hun, can I take, like ten . . . .

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Daryl,

You didn't tell us what yours is.

And if I remember correctly, on the old forum the question was asked, "What is your favorite palm?" Which may result in a different answer.

To answer your question, I thought what would be the hardest to replace. And since I'm fairly certain I could replace my smallish Lemurophoenix and Voanioala, I would have to say it would be my Dypsis 'Madagascar Foxtail'.

And in California I have a larger Dypsis OCWS which would be impossible to replace.

Here's a couple of pics of the Mad Fox.

post-11-1152476986_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Derek,

It was a odd seed several years ago in an otherwise named batch of Madagascar palms from a small nursery. I have no idea where to get another. If I knew I would grab it in an instant. There are some plants here in Hawaii that are flowering. However, it seeds only sparingly. But hopefully there will be seedlings available soon.

Kona, on The Big Island

Thought about this for 5 minutes, so after 5 minutes I would say.....................yes, the green "Foxy Lady".

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

For me, it would be my new 5-gallon, 4 foot tall snakeskin fishtail.  Tough to replace:

7.2.062.jpg

6.19.06 0042.jpg

Good question Daryl but just a little worrying as to what sort of scenario could cause this dilema........ but to answer your question my Juania australis.

IMGP9170.jpg%20re.jpg

Kev

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

Dean,

This is always a difficult choice! And it changes from day to day...

I guess I get most enjoyment out of watching my Pigafetta grow, but it is way too big to move, and besides, it is relatively easy to replace...

When it comes to taking one with me...I have three finalists:

I love my Lemurophoenix halleuxii, and these are getting much harder to obtain now. When I do move this will definitely be coming with me..I just hope it survives the transplant.

I love my Dypsis '215' as It is such a unique palm, and is different to any other Dypsis I've seen. Plus, I grew it from seed, and I don't know if I will ever see another one.

I really like my Astrocaryum murumuru as it is a real 'statement' palm and has a special beauty to it. Unfortunately it is much too large to move so will stay. If anybody knows where I can obtain seeds of this (the form which used to be called A.ulei) please let me know!

And so from my three finalists, the real choice comes down to the Dypsis and the Lemuro. I'd probably say the Dypsis as it's the only plant I know of. I think Ian Edwards may have a small one too.

Fortunately for me, I think these are both still movable!

I'm currently assessing my collection to see what I can take to my next garden. The only question for me is transplant success rates of some palms such as Lemurophoenix, Borassus, Kerriodoxa etc..I can't leave them behind!

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wow Kev. Is that outdoors? If so, how long has it been growing for you? Looks very happy. I've never seen one that stayed alive for long.

Kona, on The Big Island

I'd probably say D. carlsmithii (courtesy of Dave Hughson, Deezpalms).  It's new to me but I just love it.  Thanks Dave!  It's small to so I'd cary it and sneak my D. onilahensis weeping seedling in my pocket!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty, I thought for sure you were going to say your Geonoma undata.

Kona, on The Big Island

Well, my most prized palm at this point in time is the little roystonea I have growing. I only have one roystonea and I don't even know what type it is. It was a walmart $10 special in a 1 gallon pot. I think I should have many more roystonea getting started!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

My most prized palm is either my Hedyscepe canterburyana or my  Dypsis onilahensis.I'm with Daryl though it's really hard to narrow it down to just one or even two.I feel I chose each palm for the same reason and each and every one is special.Which could lead  to a new thread which palm do you regret planting and still have it growing in your garden?

Shon

San Marcos CA

Eh - that's a difficult choice.  You sure I can only take one?

(whines) But I have so few.

Okay, it's hard picking between my triandra, the Dypsis Fine Leaf, and my beloved glauca.

Today - probably because I spent a few hours planting near them (and ogling them) - it'd be the Fine Leaf.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Sunny,

I haven't heard of that D. 'fine leaf.' Do you or anyone else know if this is known by another name? Or better yet, anyone have a pic?

Kona, on The Big Island

(Daryl @ Jul. 09 2006,18:31)

I love my Dypsis '215' as It is such a unique palm, and is different to any other Dypsis I've seen. Plus, I grew it from seed, and I don't know if I will ever see another one.

And so from my three finalists, the real choice comes down to the Dypsis and the Lemuro. I'd probably say the Dypsis as it's the only plant I know of. I think Ian Edwards may have a small one too.

Daryl,

If it was yours that I saw a picture of on the old forum, I'm with you, that is a special palm!!

Can you post another picture? (Dypsis 215)

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi Bill, Perhaps it is this photo...

dypsisnoidea2.jpg

Palm is about 7ft tall (still small enough to dig up!)

Daryl.

Thats the one!   (Although I think you posted a closer photo so you could really see the color!)

Thanks-!

Bill

I'm just being careful with posting photos after what happened to the old version of this forum!

dypsis215.jpg

Daryl

After losing my D. scottiana, I guess my little D. sanctaemariae is my most prized. I am pampering it like there's no tomorrow. It's starting to push out its fourth leaf. Most of my seedlings are only 2 - 3 inches tall so I guess I can smuggle the rest and noone will notice!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

For me It's a very hard decision. I'd say it's a toss up between my Dypsis mahajunga, Hyophorbe indica and my Dypsis "orange crush"

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

(MattyB @ Jul. 09 2006,15:44)

I'd probably say D. carlsmithii (courtesy of Dave Hughson, Deezpalms).  It's new to me but I just love it.  Thanks Dave!  It's small to so I'd cary it and sneak my D. onilahensis weeping seedling in my pocket!

No worrie's bro!!! I'm glad you enjoy it so much! By the way, the calocasias are doing great. There's a picture of the big one you gave me in my thread I started in the tropical looking plants forum.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

for me i would be BisMarkia(Silver Form) &

If allowed one more it would be lipstick palm(C.Renda)But it

died of root rot recently.

here is the Bizie baby photo_

post-108-1152548401_thumb.jpg

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Hi Dean

My Juania is outdoors, here in the UK, but has been grown on in  a cold greenhouse for a couple of years to see how it coped.

It kept growing through out winter and so is now planted outside.......fingers crossed for a not sooooo cold winter.

The palm seems to be Ok with a cool root run as when in its pot it visibly wilted with high temps.

I have had maybe 6 +30 C days so far this summer,which is good for us, still growing no wilting....fingers crossed!!

Kev

Zone 8b

Central UK

Average min over last 5 years -5.1 C

No worrie's bro!!! I'm glad you enjoy it so much! By the way, the calocasias are doing great. There's a picture of the big one you gave me in my thread I started in the tropical looking plants forum.

Yeah I did see that...on the left?....Nice.

Dean:  In regards to the Geonoma undata....If I had to only take one I'm stiff afraid that the Geonoma might not do so well for me in the long run.  So then I'd be left with nothing.  I think I can grow a good Dypsis carlsmithii here in LG.  Although, I'm starting to suspect that my Geonoma undata is the lowland form because it seems to grow pretty fast in summer and slow in winter.  This is the opposite I'd expect from the high elevation form.  Plus there's no red emergent leaf.  Whatever,  it's too confusing...I quit playing this game...I'll take em alll...and all of yours too....Mooahhahahahaha!!!  Did I spell that right Dave?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

That Mad Fox, Dypsis marojejyi, does not seem to tolerate Florida's climate at ALL. I have had palms die in my day, but getting two from different sources and neither lasting a week convinced me I shouldn't touch any more of this already rare palm.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

(Dypsisdean @ Jul. 09 2006,21:52)

Sunny,

I haven't heard of that D. 'fine leaf.' Do you or anyone else know if this is known by another name? Or better yet, anyone have a pic?

Hi Dypsisdean,

The "fine leaf" is the dypsis formerly-known-as-ambositrae - but it really wasn't.  I was told that this particular species had been frequently sold as ambositrae, but it was then found that the real ambo was decidedly different.

Someone on the board said it was now being called "fine leaf."  I ran into the grower I bought them from - who had previously thought they were ambositrae - and he told me this particular palm is actually what's being called "fine leaf" - don't think there's a name yet.  I gotta take a pic of them, they're very nice.  I have 2 in the ground, one still in a pot.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(Daryl @ Jul. 10 2006,09:28)

I'm just being careful with posting photos after what happened to the old version of this forum!

dypsis215.jpg

Daryl

Thank you Daryl! Its beautiful and has to be one of my favorite palms!    (are there more than two? ??? )

If I had one, it migh tbe fighting my Kentiopsis for favorite!!!

Bill

Daryl,

If there's a waiting list for seed off your Dypsis, put me on it. If there's no list yet, start one---with me at the top.  :)  This is of course after you move it successfully, and have more seed than you can use yourself. We'll work a trade. I should have some Mad Fox seed by then.

Kona, on The Big Island

Bill, I actually have two if these. One I grew from seed and the other was given to me by Ian Edwards. I believe Ian has another plant too. So I guess that makes three!

The seeds were sourced from Ed Saloner, an IPS member at the time who was based in Israel. We all used to participate in the IPS email list before they started the web forums. Ed sent seed to a few of us in OZ a few years ago. I have some very different Dypsis thanks to him.

This palm is a tough little guy, and tolerated full sun as a very small palm. It is really starting to look good now.

I don't know whether it is a hybrid or not, the seed was labelled as Dypsis sp 215 and was supposedly 'a new species from Madagascar'

I think it's a little ripper, and as stated before, my most prized palm!

Dean, I sure hope it sets seed soon!

Daryl.

Hey Dean! I showed more early interest, I should be at the top!  :P

Daryl,  I'm glad to know there is a possibilty of more!....

(Dypsisdean @ Jul. 11 2006,01:24)

Daryl,

If there's a waiting list for seed off your Dypsis, put me on it. If there's no list yet, start one---with me at the top.  :)  This is of course after you move it successfully, and have more seed than you can use yourself. We'll work a trade. I should have some Mad Fox seed by then.

Dean, please put me on top of your list for Mad. Foxtail, I have wanted that palm for a long time.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet