IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons

Caribbean Palms

We are offering Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, also known as the 'Joey Palm' in 3 gal. pots for $65.00.

These beautiful palms are from Malaysia and Thailand were they grow in the mountainous rainforest. The undivided diamond shaped fronds grow up to 10 feet long and 6 feet wide.

Available at Caribbean Palms Nursery, 1584 F Road, Loxahatchee, Florida.

Office:561 792 0333

Cell:305 905 2939

e mail:palmz@gate.net

3 gal. 'Joey Palm'

000_0280.jpg

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

I LOVE these! What are their lighting / watering requirements ?

Santoury,

These like indirect shadehouse light and to be kept moist at all times.

Mike

Mike Harris

Caribbean Palms Nursery

Loxahatchee, Florida USA

Man youre killin me with all these awesome palms and no shipping! Pretty much every one you've had for sale is on my wish list. Great looking palms though!

Joeys can take down to 32F with little if any damage.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Yeah, but lets not let anyone think this is an easy palm to grow--anything but easy for this one! Someone has a huge green thumb...

Yeah, but lets not let anyone think this is an easy palm to grow--anything but easy for this one! Someone has a huge green thumb...

Do you think you could keep your negative comments off Mike's thread? Jeeeez! Growers are having a hard time in the plant industry these days. Not everyone has troubles growing this palm!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Do you think you could keep your negative comments off Mike's thread? Jeeeez! Growers are having a hard time in the plant industry these days. Not everyone has troubles growing this palm!

We lost some of our newly planted palms this winter in oz, but Joey altifrons didnt even get a blemish. I planted it out of the pot(iwas told to leave it in the pot when planted inground)its just opened a new leaf. i want MORE. Yours look great Mike, mine is pretty much same size. Snap em up guys, certainly not a hard grow. post-5709-021835800 1314365111_thumb.jpg

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons perform well out of habitat. A suitable indoor plant with only basic care and attention required IMO. They aren't fickle like so many other tropicals that damp off, stall or go into reverse in the wrong climate. So I disagree that a "huge green thumb" is required to look after a Joey palm. It's something of a misnomer that the biggest, most beautiful tropical palms require the greatest skill to grow. If I could grow and sell only 3 palms in Europe, I would choose Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Pelagodoxa henryana and Kerriodoxa elegans. I regard them as "iron clad" tropicals, whilst being amongst the most desirable of "showy" species. I say this, because I've personally experienced growing around 160 species imported from Hawaii, and I can tell you that Joeys are not among the faint-hearted palms.

• Like 1

I've never had a problem growing Joey palms. My larger one has been around for 10 years and it's been potted up once. It didn't even really need that since the rootball is small compared to the plant size. Obviously in Tampa, I have to protect mine below 32F but agree with John that otherwise it's an easier tropical to grow. The one thing I have noticed is it does not like its roots disturbed.

I've watched this plant for a while - I'm thinking I will be getting one very soon :) They are just so awesome. I can't believe they aren't sold out!

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons perform well out of habitat. A suitable indoor plant with only basic care and attention required IMO. They aren't fickle like so many other tropicals that damp off, stall or go into reverse in the wrong climate. So I disagree that a "huge green thumb" is required to look after a Joey palm. It's something of a misnomer that the biggest, most beautiful tropical palms require the greatest skill to grow. If I could grow and sell only 3 palms in Europe, I would choose Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Pelagodoxa henryana and Kerriodoxa elegans. I regard them as "iron clad" tropicals, whilst being amongst the most desirable of "showy" species. I say this, because I've personally experienced growing around 160 species imported from Hawaii, and I can tell you that Joeys are not among the faint-hearted palms.

John,

Sounds like you know your stuff. Although I have to say, that as one who has tried the Joey in Miami, it is a tough one. I think the biggest problem is our soil, or lack thereof, as most who live down here would tell you. Regardless, as a general rule, would you say that the altifrons are easier than the magnificas ? Or even some of the other species ? Perekansis etc.....

How would you rank them from toughest to easiest ??

Thanks.

Manny

We are offering Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, also known as the 'Joey Palm' in 3 gal. pots for $65.00.

These beautiful palms are from Malaysia and Thailand were they grow in the mountainous rainforest. The undivided diamond shaped fronds grow up to 10 feet long and 6 feet wide.

3 gal. 'Joey Palm'

000_0280.jpg

IF anyone in the Miami area is thinking of going to Mike's place, please PM me. I am too busy to get over there and would really like to buy a few of his plants. Mike sent me a picture of a Marojejya he has which is also looking as good as his other posts.

Thanks.

Manny

John,

Sounds like you know your stuff. Although I have to say, that as one who has tried the Joey in Miami, it is a tough one. I think the biggest problem is our soil, or lack thereof, as most who live down here would tell you. Regardless, as a general rule, would you say that the altifrons are easier than the magnificas ? Or even some of the other species ? Perekansis etc.....

Thanks.

Manny

Manny,

I want to mention that with tropical palms here in Europe I refer to "container culture" and not the challenges of planting out, with native soil conditions and all. In most cases, that's just not possible for us. Joeys however, can enjoy a relatively stable existence compared to a plethora of tropical species that would require extraordinary acclimatisation and care grown indoors, or under cover.

I'm picking up on the broad-sweeping notion that Johannesteijsmannia altifrons may necessitate a "huge green thumb". I'm sure you're well aware that you could grow this palm indoors in Florida and it would be a "cinch", or at least it should be. The same would no doubt apply to other tropical species grown indoors in Florida. If you took those same indoor-grown palms from Florida to Europe, the Joey would certainly out-survive the majority. This is my case in point. I know Mike does not ship these Joeys, and in Florida you naturally talk in terms of survivability in the ground, since you're able to grow so many species. In this case a "huge green thumb" would be a bonus with such variety going on. As for Joeys though, I think it's really just lucky that if you can avoid the root disturbance issue, they pretty much look after themselves when grown in a pot.

Having said that, I don't consider myself qualified to comment in the way you probably imagine! smilie.gif I've grown a lot of tropical species, but I'm a grower and seller too, so rare palms such as Johannesteijsmannia don't sit in the greenhouse for very long.

John,

Thanks.

Manny

Manny,

I want to mention that with tropical palms here in Europe I refer to "container culture" and not the challenges of planting out, with native soil conditions and all. In most cases, that's just not possible for us. Joeys however, can enjoy a relatively stable existence compared to a plethora of tropical species that would require extraordinary acclimatisation and care grown indoors, or under cover.

I'm picking up on the broad-sweeping notion that Johannesteijsmannia altifrons may necessitate a "huge green thumb". I'm sure you're well aware that you could grow this palm indoors in Florida and it would be a "cinch", or at least it should be. The same would no doubt apply to other tropical species grown indoors in Florida. If you took those same indoor-grown palms from Florida to Europe, the Joey would certainly out-survive the majority. This is my case in point. I know Mike does not ship these Joeys, and in Florida you naturally talk in terms of survivability in the ground, since you're able to grow so many species. In this case a "huge green thumb" would be a bonus with such variety going on. As for Joeys though, I think it's really just lucky that if you can avoid the root disturbance issue, they pretty much look after themselves when grown in a pot.

Having said that, I don't consider myself qualified to comment in the way you probably imagine! smilie.gif I've grown a lot of tropical species, but I'm a grower and seller too, so rare palms such as Johannesteijsmannia don't sit in the greenhouse for very long.

John,

Bottom line is your input is very informative and helpful. Joeys are problematic when one tries to put them into the ground here in Miami. I have been to a number gardens that belong to serious collectors and you just don't see much, if any ( Dr. Block is a notable exception ). Having said this, I think what I will try next is the following: I will get my hands on one of these Joeys, either altifrons or magnifica ( by the way you forgot to mention which one of these is easier for you as "potted" specimens ) and re-pot into a MUCH bigger pot ( of course I will be VERY VERY careful ). Maybe a 30 or 40 gallon pot. Then I will dig a very big hole and stick the pot in the hole with the Joey in it. I have been told by some reputable people down here that the soil has to be especially well draining for the Joey, so I'll probably have it a bit elevated, but not much.

I am encouraged by the comment someone made on this thread, I think it was you, that they don't have huge root systems, so theoretically, she should be able to grow quite a bit in her pot in my ground ! :D

Thanks again.

Manny

Manny,

I've grown J. altfrons and J. perakensis side by side, seeing little difference in performance, save for the latter being slightly smaller in scale. With only 4-5 leaves from germination though, that's not a lot to go on.

J. magnifica are a rarer find these days than J. perakensis, aren't they? J. altifrons is probably the easier species, or perhaps the seeds are just more widely available. Still, I'd love to find seeds or plants of J. magnifica for shipping. Your idea for pot planting is tried and tested, and not just for root-sensitive species. Here's an article I book-marked a long time ago which you may like: http://www.raingarde...les/palmpot.htm

I think your plan sounds viable. Once set up correctly, Joeys shouldn't need too much frequent care.

Manny,

I've grown J. altfrons and J. perakensis side by side, seeing little difference in performance, save for the latter being slightly smaller in scale. With only 4-5 leaves from germination though, that's not a lot to go on.

J. magnifica are a rarer find these days than J. perakensis, aren't they? J. altifrons is probably the easier species, or perhaps the seeds are just more widely available. Still, I'd love to find seeds or plants of J. magnifica for shipping. Your idea for pot planting is tried and tested, and not just for root-sensitive species. Here's an article I book-marked a long time ago which you may like: http://www.raingarde...les/palmpot.htm

I think your plan sounds viable. Once set up correctly, Joeys shouldn't need too much frequent care.

John,

Wow, excellent article. What's most interesting is that he argues that you should just put the palm in the ground whatever the size pot it finds itself in ! My idea was to move up the Joey and then plant in the ground pot and all. He says just put in the ground at whatever size its bought. Although he thinks that a 5 gallon may have a better head start than 1 gallon ( unless the 1 gallon is root bound ).

I am going to try this with a few Palms that I believe 100 % die a slow death in Miami if planted in the ground: Marojejya, licuala var sumawongi ( sp ? ) and of course the Joey.

Thanks !

Manny

I wasn't trying to be negative; I am sorry if I came off as so. Maybe this is an easy palm for some. I was giving Mr. Mike a compliment on his growing skills, I thought...

• 3 weeks later...

3 gal. 'Joey Palm'

000_0280.jpg

I had the pleasure of going to Mike's place earlier this morning. I want to thank him for his hospitality and help. Mike has a very nice, well organized and pretty nursery.

I purchased some of the Joeys, a morojejya, and a few dypsis'.

Thanks again Mike.

Manny

Marojejya is a difficult palm to grow at best in Florida. Between the lack of sufficient rainfall and our poor soil, this palm often languishes and dies a slow death. I've actually found it does better in containers but even then, it is a short term palm for Florida.

Marojejya is a difficult palm to grow at best in Florida. Between the lack of sufficient rainfall and our poor soil, this palm often languishes and dies a slow death. I've actually found it does better in containers but even then, it is a short term palm for Florida.

I hear you, Ray, but why does Bo-Goran say he would choose Marojejya for SoCal over a joey? Shouldn't SoCal have less rainfall and less humidity? What I mean is wouldn't we have a better chance at it than they would?

That's a good question but not one I can answer. I think it's more a soil problem than temperature or humidity. The soil must be very acidic and our soil here, even under an oak, may be more alkaline than it likes. In addition, California and Hawaii have fewer temperature extremes than Florida. I don't know how many 90+ degree days California gets over the summer but I can bet it's a lot less than here. The proof is out there. Are you aware of any large Marojejya in Florida? I know it's not from lack of trying. Even Fairchild doesn't have a large specimen growing outside. I've tried this palm a few times and actually got it to grow for a year or so before the decline began. It actually seems to prefer the cooler time of year. Many growers I know have given up with this one.

• 2 years later...

Just bought a nice small one from Steve Stern in Florida. Will always be a indoor palm and currently have it in master bath where humidity should suffice, and only natural light is north facing skylight. Palm was shipped in it's 4 inch pot with what appears to be 100% black volcanic pebbles.

Looking for others growing theirs inside the home in containers for tips and advice.

Scott/Omaha

post-9928-0-17005400-1410387131_thumb.jp

Edited by sashaeffer

Mike it looks nice sitting there in the red pot. Just be aware of it's potential for drying out quickly due to being grown in the volcanic rock. These palms from Steve came out of Hawaii where Floribunda Palms gets huge amounts of rainfall.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the advice. Steve gave me very detailed instructions on how to repot it and have soil/mix ready but I want to wait a bit so it gets used to it's new environment before adding any new stress since Steve told me how touchy the roots can be.

Sure wish poster would offer shipping on those..........bend the rules a little! ;)

• 5 years later...
On 9/22/2014 at 2:48 PM, sashaeffer said:

Thanks for the advice. Steve gave me very detailed instructions on how to repot it and have soil/mix ready but I want to wait a bit so it gets used to it's new environment before adding any new stress since Steve told me how touchy the roots can be.

Sure wish poster would offer shipping on those..........bend the rules a little! ;)

I finally received long searched silver Joey palms   and  really need to know the soil mix you used for yours. and how you did your repot and how yours did after all that. Mine are in a 0.7 gallon nursery pot with 2 leaves and I want to put them in a bigger pot to avoid root damage. Any info is highly appreciated.