IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wodyetia bifurcata

PALM MOD

Damage began: 30 degrees

Severe damage/death: 27-28 degees

Ultimate damage after experiencing 21 F.

post--1168898039_thumb.jpg

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

30F (night one) - little or no damage

27F (night two) - 50% of leaves turned brown.  spear still green.

My palm is similar in size to the ones pictured, and has been in the ground for 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

No visible damage yet to either of mine. One under the fronds of a royal, the other partly covered by kentia and fiddle leafed fig. Low of 29 Sunday morning was the worst.

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

2 in the front... no damage at all which I was surprised by. It must be the proximity to the house.

(Edit 1/16) - now beginning to show damage, appears like it may get severe.  :(

next edit 1/30- one plant on the other side of the garage- 100% leaf damage, spear browning. Probably dead. The other two 15-20% leaf damage.

post-33-1168907343_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I have 59 foxtails ranging in size from 32 inches to 6 feet. They are all fried, but the spears still look good on most of them.  I also have 1 maybe 11 foot or so still in a 25 gallon pot that got some what fried but looks to be ok.  I had a temp reading of 25.5F on Sunday morining and a 27.6F reading This morining. I did clean out my garage on Sunday and got everyone of the other foxtails out of the cold.  I leave them there until thrusday nite.....Here is a pic of the larger foxtail

post-689-1168915427_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cypress, Ca.

26.5F and two of my foxtails, slightly larger than the ones in the pics. at the top, are fried except for their spears. One on my side yard near the house, no visible damage.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

(IPSPTModerator @ Jan. 15 2007,13:53)

Damage began: 30 degrees

Severe damage/death: 27-28 degees

Yup...these are my Foxtails after seeing 21F.

Edit by Mod: Thanks for the info Sam. I went back and edited. I used your pic to try and get the ball rolling for this freeze forum.

Diamond Bar, CA

Foxtail, 1 foot of clear trunk, stem diameter 3", in ground, 7 feet overall.

24.1F, no frost, no canopy

40%-50% leaf burn

(took 28F, no frost, night before w/ no immediate, dramatic damage.  Note: this palms normally shows minor leaf spotting/tip burning during winter but didn't show major damage until the night of 24.1F.)

post-126-1168921696_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Approx. 29 FF, large specimens, from fifteeners, no damage.

Three solid nights of 28-29 FF, -1 C.

dave

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Have two foxtails, one in the back fully exposed and on in front with some protection.  The lowest reading I got was 29 and neither showed any damage exept for perhaps some very minor spotting at worst.

• Upvote 1

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Several just-trunking individuals pretty fried here after 24F, nearly 80-100% burn, and maybe gone unless spears survive.  (What to replace them with?......)

• Upvote 1

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

I had 2 nights at 25F,5mph wind,8 hours exposure to minimum both nights,no frost,wrapped with a sheet.Total defoliation including soft brown spear into the trunk.Expect death on this one. :(

aztropic,

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1169257516_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Foxtail seedlings ...  Some totally fried,some barely have a scratch even though they are all side by side.Genetic variation?These were not protected.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1169258174_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

(aztropic @ Jan. 19 2007,20:45)

I had 2 nights at 25F,5mph wind,8 hours exposure to minimum both nights,no frost,wrapped with a sheet.Total defoliation including soft brown spear into the trunk.Expect death on this one. :(

aztropic,

Mesa,Arizona

Sorry about that one. If you got it at HD, bring it on back and pick out a new one. :)

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(epicure3 @ Jan. 20 2007,11:22)

aztropic,

Mesa,Arizona

Sorry about that one. If you got it at HD, bring it on back and pick out a new one. :)

Bought it from a private nursery.It's been in the ground 3 years now.I have anticipated it freezing eventually and if you look at the pic,it's replacement is already established.(Female "medjool" date palm grown from a cutting I took off a certified mother tree.)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

(aztropic @ Jan. 20 2007,12:27)

(epicure3 @ Jan. 20 2007,11:22)

aztropic,

Mesa,Arizona

Bought it from a private nursery.It's been in the ground 3 years now.I have anticipated it freezing eventually and if you look at the pic,it's replacement is already established.(Female "medjool" date palm grown from a cutting I took off a certified mother tree.)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Well that's cool. At least you'll get something edible out of it. dates in Phoenix sound like a good match.  :)

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Coldest minimum : 37F

P4220019.jpg

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

This is an update from an earlier post.  It has now been 10 days and my foxtails are a field of brown frownds.

post-689-1169766496_thumb.jpg

Cypress, Ca.

I have 3 small trees in my yard all planted out of 2 gallon pots 2005.  They were all covered with heavy duty garbage bags and 2 of them were in close proximity to warm fires.  The 2 that were next to the fires are almost completely chocolate brown but the third, located in a prime southeast facing location right up against the house, is shown in the picture.  It has lots of spots, minimal leaf damage.

post-376-1170042107_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 1 month later...

This is a second try at posting this - last try died due to image size.  The young foxtail in this image saw 32°F on Jan. 15 and 27°F on Jan.16 (for two hrs.) in Garden Grove, CA.  Since the fronds and new spears are above the level of the adjacent block wall just east of this palm, it was fully exposed to the elements.  Prior to the freeze, my only concern with this palm was that the spears were not opening normally (also observed on some small Phoenix roebelenii I have in containers in full sun).

post-764-1172951475_thumb.jpg

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

I know that this foxtail did not die, as the new spears are still growing.  I marked the spears on Feb.24 (7 days ago) and today (Mar. 3) the newest spear shows over a half-inch of growth. The spear over five feet (still unopened) showed almost no movement.

post-764-1172951723_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

So here's my question:  what to do about the unopened spear that has been closed for a couple of months, at a minimum?  Should I help it along in some manner, or let it open (or not) on its own?

post-764-1172951951_thumb.jpg

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Let the spear open on its own.If you try to open it up manually,the individual leaves tend to dry up.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

• 2 months later...

Four months later....the W. bifircata that "survived" in my above post has slowly deteriorated over the course of the the last four months and appears dead.

I have seen this plant survive freezing weather here...only to deteriorate slowly until it's dead by May.

I am convinced that its our months of cold, soggy soil rather than a specific low temperature that finishes these palms off.  

Are there examples out there that survived lower temperatures than my 24.9 F?

• Upvote 1

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 7 months later...

Went below 32F at 330am, went back above 32F by 830am. 5 total hours of freezing temperatures. Ultimate low of 29.7F with 7.6 "freezing degree hours" calculated as discussed in the weather forum. Moderate winds varying from NNW to NNE all night, dewpoints in low teens, no frost. No overhead canopy in my yard. No protection provided. Photos from 4 days after the freeze event.

Mimimal to no damage

South east corner of house:

IMG_4119Custom.jpg

Fairly open yard:

IMG_4151Custom.jpg

North side of yard:

IMG_4154Custom.jpg

Northeast corner of house:

IMG_4179Custom.jpg

• Upvote 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I have one that is about 20 foot.

29F for 2 hours

below 32 for 5 hours

The trunk was wrapped in Christmas lights and covered in insulation.  The fronds were tied together and wrapped in frost cloth.

No frost.

No damage!

• Upvote 1

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

26.2 degrees, 10+ below freezing, no frost, 50% frond damage.    Expect a full comeback, but had there been any frost at all, I suspect it would be dead.

• Upvote 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 7 years later...

4 nights below 40 a month ago, with lows around 35. This tree is about 12 feet tall to the top of the spear. One lowest frond completely died, some others are browning but hopefully they will make it. The upper most fronds look completely healthy.

• Upvote 1

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

4 nights below 40 a month ago, with lows around 35. This tree is about 12 feet tall to the top of the spear. One lowest frond completely died, some others are browning but hopefully they will make it. The upper most fronds look completely healthy.

Did you have any frost on those nights?

No frost. It was planted in november2014 from a 20 gallon. It is exposed with no protection

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

• 11 months later...

So it looks like 27F is 90-100% defoliation and 25F is death?

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Mixed results from 28f. This palm has a lot of variability in hardiness. Most local specimens had moderate damaged, some look perfectly fine, and at least one looks like it might die.

Additional info can be found here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/55520-2018-freeze-in-central-florida/&do=findComment&comment=834723

• Upvote 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b