IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Monday "mourning" quarterbacking

tropicalb

6:30 am and it's 33F in the coldest part of my backyard.

Going over to Dad's place a little later to uncover the damaged kings, and hope not see any more newly damaged plants, given the effort put forth to protect them last night...I can bet you that it got down into the low 20's over there again last night. I'll post photos on this thread later.

due to a combination of location and cold-hardiness I believe, species there that showed only slight damage as of yesterday include :

Brahea armata

Brahea nitida

Livistona chinensis

Livistona decipiens

Livistona australis

Dioon spinulosum

Cycas taitungensis

Cycas revoluta

Trachycarpus fortunei

Chamaerops humilus v. cerifera

pic just taken at 7:20 am in San Marcos:

therm1.jpg

you can see the thermometer leaning up against the dead king palm (oh and the king palm has been dead for a long time now...it wasn't killed by this cold spell..)...this is pretty much one of the coldest spots in my backyard:

therm2.jpg

Those King Sagos sure look unfazed by the cold.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

My biggest regret is not covering more plants Saturday. Like Greg, I think I was lulled into denial by Friday nights non-event. My bad...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve...also my only regret.

As promised, here are some pics of the devastation. this is what 22 degrees fahrenheit did to our palms at my Dad's place last night:

Crispy kings:

king1.jpg

and the group of about 150 kings NOW under a tarp (a day late...):

king2.jpg

Crispy C. gigas:

gleaf.jpg

the only reason for any hope for these poor gigas is that the trunk area still looks good:

gtrunk.jpg

Here is a little study in microclimates...notice that in this area at the top of the hill and a little more protected, there was almost no damage at all:

chin.jpg

yet just behind the chinensis, here are the guava trees:

guava.jpg

and less than thirty feet to the west of the chinensis, the allspice trees got hammered (notice to the right the big black bulge of the 15gal triple kings that also got covered a day late...crispy critters are they:

allburn.jpg

yet another oddity:

the big butia on the lowest corner of the property:

butia.jpg

and less than 10 feet away, a C. urens:

urens.jpg

I know that the butia is WAY more cold hardy than the urens, but you would think that there would have been some damage to the butia given the fact that the cold nearly destroyed the urens less than 10 feet away.

ending on a bright note...the plants that I had given some coverage to did very well:

bizmarkias under the allspice trees:

biz.jpg

L. saribus protected by 80+ year old pepper tree:

saribus.jpg

the area just below the pepper tree was least affected:

micro.jpg

and here is a Cycas thourasii pushing new leaves in 22F winter weather:

thor.jpg

Bobby...

yeah, the revolutas and the big Macrozamia moorei that you see on the far left in the picture did really well...none of the stuff at my house got hit at all.

Same with me Steve and Burt I would have covered  everyting. In hindsight a couple of more sheets would have saved me many palms.My only solace is I have many palms to take the place of the ones I loss.

San Marcos CA

(tropicalb @ Jan. 15 2007,18:21)

yet another oddity:

the big butia on the lowest corner of the property:

butia.jpg

and less than 10 feet away, a C. urens:

urens.jpg

I know that the butia is WAY more cold hardy than the urens, but you would think that there would have been some damage to the butia given the fact that the cold nearly destroyed the urens less than 10 feet away.

Burt:

My guess on the butia/caryota question is that the butia is waaay hardier than pretty much any caryota. Also, the butia is a lot older looking in that picture than the urens.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Yes...all that is true, but you would think that given the fact that the butia is at the very bottom of the cold drain on the property, it would have had at least some cold damage to the foliage...i was surpised it showed no damage at all.

You have to hand it to the blue palms....the butias and braheas i have growing at my Dad's were the only palms left out in the open that showed very little to no damage.

Just gives you a knot in the stomach seeing this kind of damage. What a shame and sorry for your loss.

You mentioned you had some slight hope the C. Gigas might pull through, as it had green trunk still, but the kings, pandanus, and even that large Howea, looked in really rough shape. You wonder if they will make it or not.

Your observation about the stuff under the pepper tree canopy, was least affected. We also find this often in our area, where we get the occasional frost, and the plants under live oak canopies show no damage or ill effects at all. Those large trees really moderate the climate in a big way.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

(tropicalb @ Jan. 15 2007,10:24)

pic just taken at 7:20 am in San Marcos:

therm1.jpg

you can see the thermometer leaning up against the dead king palm...this is pretty much one of the coldest spots in my backyard:

therm2.jpg

32F killed your king palm??????

If they are that tender, then I might as well forget ever getting one.

NO no!!!

should have explained that one...that king has been dead for a while now....

i edited the original post at the top so no one else thinks that 32F killed that poor palm.