• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis lafazamanga

jdapalms

This is the first seed set for this palm and I am not familiar with any others in cultivation. Are there any of these growing in Australia?

post-420-026937900 1313557216_thumb.jpg post-420-010331300 1313557220_thumb.jpg post-420-004252800 1313557224_thumb.jpg post-420-049540800 1313557227_thumb.jpg post-420-070698400 1313557231_thumb.jpg post-420-037792200 1313557236_thumb.jpg post-420-040871700 1313557241_thumb.jpg post-420-000961900 1313557246_thumb.jpg post-420-055095200 1313557250_thumb.jpg post-420-005470900 1313557255_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 6

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

That's a great looking palm! I've never seen any like it growing around these parts. Please put me down for some seed!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

That's great Jerry, thanks for all the pics! I can't say that I've seen that plant anywhere but your garden. The only thing that it reminds me of is a plant sold as D. psamophila. This is an old pic from Gary Michalis' place in Mission Beach, CA. It's very hard to compare plants across climates.

post-126-096855600 1313597970_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Jerry,

That's a pretty stunning palm! I've never seen it before, including in Madag. It's nice that it now has set seed for you.

Remember the crotons I sent you a couple years back? :winkie:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

That looks a lot like the dypsis black stem that Gary Levine had seen while he was on his trip to Madagascar, can't find the thread but there is a updated photo o what he sprouted somewhere.

You may be onto something Brett... :blink:

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nope

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Looks similar to arenarum??

No, Arenarum dosen't have all the black, or white. More of a silvery blue color.

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I like the name - "lafazamanga". :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Matty,

The plant at Gary Michalis old place is one he bought from me years ago from a batch of seed that came in as Dypsis Psamophila. This plant is different. I have the same plant here. I am not sure about the black Dypsis baronii that Gary L posted pictures of but I don't think this is that.

Jeff, I do remember the croutons you sent to me and the Florida mangos that we enjoyed so much at your place during are visit, which was very nice.

Thanks Jerry

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

Here's my Dypsis "black stem". Still another variation of baronii? The petioles aren't as yellow as Jerry's.

-Randy

post-1035-017330600 1313638431_thumb.jpg

post-1035-046574200 1313638450_thumb.jpg

post-1035-023404800 1313638472_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Jerry's palm is unique, never seen one like it.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

This is the first seed set for this palm and I am not familiar with any others in cultivation. Are there any of these growing in Australia?

post-420-026937900 1313557216_thumb.jpg post-420-010331300 1313557220_thumb.jpg post-420-004252800 1313557224_thumb.jpg post-420-049540800 1313557227_thumb.jpg post-420-070698400 1313557231_thumb.jpg post-420-037792200 1313557236_thumb.jpg post-420-040871700 1313557241_thumb.jpg post-420-000961900 1313557246_thumb.jpg post-420-055095200 1313557250_thumb.jpg post-420-005470900 1313557255_thumb.jpg

Absolutely beautiful Jerry, how many years has it been in the ground?

• Upvote 2

• 4 years later...
On 8/17/2011, 11:35:21, palmislandRandy said:

Here's my Dypsis "black stem". Still another variation of baronii? The petioles aren't as yellow as Jerry's.

-Randy

post-1035-017330600 1313638431_thumb.jpg

post-1035-046574200 1313638450_thumb.jpg

post-1035-023404800 1313638472_thumb.jpg

Looks like my friend Randy has unlocked the secret to the Dypsis Black Stem in Florida! :wub:

• Upvote 2

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/5/2017, 8:26:37, Matt in OC said:

Bump! Any updated pictures or notes?

Matt, I grew this palm close to 12 years ago when Jerry Andersen had a few for sale at his nursery. It was a slow grower and not an easy palm to grow. Mine died one winter. Fast forward to the Floribunda offering from seed off Jerry's tree posted above. I am convinced this crop are hybrids. They are fast, easy to grow, and most importantly, some are going irregular leafed - which you can see Jerry's palm is not. My guess is that floozy finder Dypsis madagascariensis got himself involved again.

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

39 minutes ago, LJG said:

Matt, I grew this palm close to 12 years ago when Jerry Andersen had a few for sale at his nursery. It was a slow grower and not an easy palm to grow. Mine died one winter. Fast forward to the Floribunda offering from seed off Jerry's tree posted above. I am convinced this crop are hybrids. They are fast, easy to grow, and most importantly, they are going irregular leafed - which you can see Jerry's palm is not. My guess is that floozy finder Dypsis madagascariensis got himself involved again.

Great observations, Len. Mine have been fast in pots and carefree but with very little coloring at 1 gal. size. I’ll pot up and wait and see. Thanks. 

So Len, based on your observations it would be safe to guess that these palms coming from Floribunda will ultimately be much larger than Jerry's tree from the pics above? I was sort of hoping this would turn out to be a smaller, colorful clumper like his appears to be.  I was thinking of putting one of mine in the ground, but may do the same as Matt and just pot it up and wait.

I just recently picked one of these up from Floribunda. Thought I would share pictures for people wondering what the plants look like that are available from Floribunda right now. 

Bought this as a 4", put in a 1 gallon pot for a couple months then planted out. It's now splitting into two. I confirmed that seed did come from Jerry's plant which I saw in person in October. I hope these stay true as it's a beautiful Dypsis! 

IMG_1095.thumb.JPG.6de96152d050bf4e05b69

IMG_1094.thumb.JPG.fb656386611d423ba7db4

Leaflets are staying regular so far, but bugs seem to like them! 

IMG_1093.thumb.JPG.e6beba0d1b3e0fb016aad

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Firepalm said:

So Len, based on your observations it would be safe to guess that these palms coming from Floribunda will ultimately be much larger than Jerry's tree from the pics above? I was sort of hoping this would turn out to be a smaller, colorful clumper like his appears to be.  I was thinking of putting one of mine in the ground, but may do the same as Matt and just pot it up and wait.

Not sure. Just a hunch mine are hybrids. Maybe others come out true. I remember another characteristic this palm had before when I grew it and that was the glaucous abaxial sides of the leaflets. This new crop is green. Still looks like it will turn out to be a killer palm, just maybe not what was intended. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

21 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

That’s super helpful. Thanks Jason!

Sure thing. I can always post updates down the road whenever you want to see new pics. Just let me know. 

• Upvote 1

Just got a few from Floribunda 

awaiting further developments

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 1 month later...

My "Laffas" have turned out to be pretty good so far. They rooted right in, didn't play fussy and hard to please. I'm going to stick one or two in some stronger light and see what they do.

@Matt in OC, they will get more color on them. I just auctioned one off for an obscene amount at the last PSSC auction.

This might turn out to be a winner.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Just now, Matt in OC said:

@DoomsDave Yes, very unfussy for me. I need to put one in the ground to see what happens, but I'm guessing it'll be a quick grower.

I think they'll love it down there in CM in the OC . . .

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2018, 11:37:52, LJG said:

Not sure. Just a hunch mine are hybrids. Maybe others come out true. I remember another characteristic this palm had before when I grew it and that was the glaucous abaxial sides of the leaflets. This new crop is green. Still looks like it will turn out to be a killer palm, just maybe not what was intended. 

Mine, too.

Sometimes, life has a nice surprise. Not nearly often enough.

That's what love about Dypsis

On 9/25/2018, 10:13:05, DoomsDave said:

My "Laffas" have turned out to be pretty good so far. They rooted right in, didn't play fussy and hard to please. I'm going to stick one or two in some stronger light and see what they do.

@Matt in OC, they will get more color on them. I just auctioned one off for an obscene amount at the last PSSC auction.

This might turn out to be a winner.

Dave, “Lafa” and “Lafazamanga” different plants. Marcus sells both. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

1 hour ago, LJG said:

Dave, “Lafa” and “Lafazamanga” different plants. Marcus sells both. 

Yes my penchant for abbreviations kills me again.

I mean lafamazanga; which rolls off the tongue and into the garden !

Just now, DoomsDave said:

Yes my penchant for abbreviations kills me again.

I mean lafamazanga; which rolls off the tongue and into the garden !

Ahh. Got it. Lafa is not easy to grow for me. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Here are a few updated pictures of  mine now that it has split. It was just starting to in my photos above from about 2 months ago. 

IMG_1290.thumb.JPG.bb39bd3b4ec2be632099e

IMG_1288.thumb.JPG.71e750a12c6982bc40c2d

IMG_1289.thumb.JPG.2175ffa98b56942ab6624

IMG_1291.thumb.JPG.d2ad7851661d260ec2648

• Upvote 5

• 2 months later...

So what's e verdict  on these as far as sun exposure in California. I have one i want to plant out in spring . Keep it in dappled light  or let it emerge into sun like baronii  any thoughts 

15469956493982368014554951642291.jpg

Well, I think this the same palm in this thread, and it sure is looking good lately. Nice color trunk and emergent spikes. 

Tim

P1060976.jpg

P1060978.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

1 hour ago, realarch said:

Well, I think this the same palm in this thread, and it sure is looking good lately. Nice color trunk and emergent spikes. 

Tim

P1060976.jpg

P1060978.jpg

Seeing yours helped me decide to buy another when I was at Floribunda a couple weeks ago.  So nice! 

On 1/8/2019, 3:01:51, akamu said:

So what's e verdict  on these as far as sun exposure in California. I have one i want to plant out in spring . Keep it in dappled light  or let it emerge into sun like baronii  any thoughts 

15469956493982368014554951642291.jpg

Hey Adam - I can’t say for sure about So Cal since I didn’t have any of these in my Fallbrook garden but here in Hilo I have it in full sun and it’s very happy. Granted full sun in Hilo is nothing like full sun in California. So I would say put it some filtered light so it gets a good amount of sun and heat at least for part of the day. Tim’s photo just below yours is pretty shaded so they can also handle shade here, but in California I imagine it would grow a bit slower in too much shade.  Yours looks great and ready for the ground.