IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Around the Yard... I mean Garden

putu enjula

I think I have a new favorite palm!!!

Bentinckia condapanna :drool: there's three of them. We think it was three years ago that they were planted and they weren't trunking yet.

On your Dictyocaryum lamarckianum post I said that they were one of 2 stops that I had to make on every visit to you and Dean. Now you know the other compulsory stop.

Here is one of your condapanna babies from Fall 2009 - compare to your post above and see how much growth you have had in just 2 years.

post-3609-084093100 1313457161_thumb.jpg

gmp

WOW! Thanks for posting that! That's insane that they grew that much.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I think I have a new favorite palm!!!

Bentinckia condapanna :drool: there's three of them. We think it was three years ago that they were planted and they weren't trunking yet.

What a garden Dean and Angela! Absolutely serene and green! Now where in da heck can I get me wanna those Bent Condopans?! :drool:

You could try posting something in "plants wanted." Or check out the end of this thread. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=23671&st=0&p=393928&hl=+bentinckia%20+condapanna&fromsearch=1&#entry393928 Jerry Andersen might have some again soon.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Here is a cute little Dypsis! It gets lost in the second pic. The fourth pic was taken eight days after the first.

post-1234-066134700 1313490922_thumb.jpg

post-1234-093817100 1313490990_thumb.jpg

post-1234-079707900 1313491216_thumb.jpg

post-1234-056074700 1313491523_thumb.jpg

post-1234-055350400 1313491587_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

We have a coco palm that we banished to the edge of the property. The poor thing is my experiment to see how slow they grow at a little above 2,000 ft. It hasn't gotten much water there either... palm abuse. :huh:

post-1234-080454000 1313492602_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Maybe this is why Neoveitchia storckii isn't exactly one of my faves ...

I must admit that's very sad, and I'd bet it has an even sadder story to go along with it.

But fortunately, not all are like that:

post-3609-011886500 1313498999_thumb.jpg

gmp

Wow Dean, incredible growth since I was there maybe 4 years ago. Love that Anthocleista grandiflora!

San Fernando Valley, California

Wow Dean, incredible growth since I was there maybe 4 years ago. Love that Anthocleista grandiflora!

Well it's here because of you Peter. I think that's the first thing you asked me when you arrived. And as chance would have it, there was that one in my neighbor's garden - the only one I've seen on the island. I never would have known what a cool tree that is. The other one I owe you for is the Amerherstia, now about ten feet tall and ready to do it's thing. I also have tracked down some of the others you told me were on your "Holy Grail" list. When are you coming back?

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Well it's here because of you Peter. I think that's the first thing you asked me when you arrived. And as chance would have it, there was that one in my neighbor's garden - the only one I've seen on the island. I never would have known what a cool tree that is. The other one I owe you for is the Amerherstia, now about ten feet tall and ready to do it's thing. I also have tracked down some of the others you told me were on your "Holy Grail" list. When are you coming back?

photos!!!! please... what 'holy grail' list??????? Come on..... from one tree lover to another....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

photos!!!! please... what 'holy grail' list??????? Come on..... from one tree lover to another....

Most still in pots Ari - not ready for PrimeTime on PalmTalk. :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Most still in pots Ari - not ready for PrimeTime on PalmTalk. :)

Great to view more of your Gardens Dean and Angela, Stunning. Yes, Anthocleista grandiflora ( African cabbage tree) is an eyeopener at Juvenile stage but be prepared for 1000s of these popping up in your gardens in the next few years. Your Neovietchias are a Knockout, love em, great work Dean. Pete

Ah I thought that tree looked familar .

Anthocleista grandiflora , I downloaded a copy of that.

Mine was spared in Yasi , and I just mowed up to it .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Great to view more of your Gardens Dean and Angela, Stunning. Yes, Anthocleista grandiflora ( African cabbage tree) is an eyeopener at Juvenile stage but be prepared for 1000s of these popping up in your gardens in the next few years. Your Neovietchias are a Knockout, love em, great work Dean. Pete

Ugh. I hope you're wrong about "1000s" of those trees popping up... we have enough weeding to do already! :unsure:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

But wait! There's more!!

This is an ouchy palm. Roscheria melanochaetes... a big one.... and a baby one.

post-1234-086741300 1313644458_thumb.jpg

post-1234-084411100 1313644627_thumb.jpg

post-1234-009931200 1313644682_thumb.jpg

post-1234-092321400 1313644844_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

A wild, late blooming nun's orchid... we must have hundreds of these growing wild in the garden... you can see about four or more other plants in the photo..

post-1234-018590300 1313753685_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

While out in the garden, I spotted a ferocious animal...

Doesn't look native fauna to me :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ugh. I hope you're wrong about "1000s" of those trees popping up... we have enough weeding to do already! :unsure:

Yes Angela, even in the cool subtropics here they are dynamite at self propagation, but they are easy to pull out...but, In your year round warm wet climate one would have to say they would easily get the upper hand. Stunning gardens you guys have created and are creating. Pete

While out in the garden, I spotted a ferocious animal...

Doesn't look native fauna to me :huh:

Born in Hawaii but not indigenous. He showed up at our house totally feral as a 4-6 month old... not sure exactly how old he was. He has pellets under his skin in three different places. Poor Smudge!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

A newly opened hibiscus... and a Pinanga something er other... nice crown shaft but the fronds could use a little TLC. Sometimes I think Dean should be called Pinanga Dean :lol:

post-1234-069714200 1313930841_thumb.jpg

post-1234-041328800 1313931069_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Angela,

To you and Dean, I wish to add my congratulations for such an outstanding achievement in your garden. And, an extra HURRAH :):) for such professional photography. You really captured the esseance of that beautiful garden. Keep up the great work and of course do find more to post. I see all are really enjoying same. :)

Karolyn

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Thanks Karolyn!

Here's a couple more random photos.... I'm going to save the Dypsis controversial pics for last.

post-1234-096011400 1314099577_thumb.jpg

post-1234-022099700 1314099677_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Look at that huge hibiscus bloom, wow. Everything there is LUSH!

I think those kind of hibiscus are known as "Cajun" because they were hybridized in Lousianna. The blooms are huge. Hawaii also has a history of hybridizing hibiscus.

Here is a cajun I bought that was mislabeled oops.

post-1234-075106500 1314183192_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Calyptrocalyx albertisianus and I thought I'd throw in a heliconia... that I couldn't stop taking pictures of!

post-1234-020399800 1314582351_thumb.jpg

post-1234-066229400 1314582434_thumb.jpg

post-1234-054697400 1314582500_thumb.jpg

post-1234-042273700 1314582595_thumb.jpg

post-1234-043962600 1314582629_thumb.jpg

post-1234-012828700 1314582738_thumb.jpg

post-1234-099567200 1314582792_thumb.jpg

post-1234-007299900 1314582844_thumb.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Just picked up this thread again; you're welcome Dean, although I certainly didn't know about all those potential seedlings. I hope it's not too bad or you may change your opinion about my recommendation! No plans to come out there anytime soon, but if that changes I'd love to come by again. From the photos I can tell you've really done a great job-lots of diversity, looks fantastic :-)

San Fernando Valley, California

No guesses on the Pinanga ?

As usual, I have no idea. However, I'd certainly like to know so I can add it to my wish list! Lovely!

Cindy Adair

Beautiful garden you guys! I bet its so relaxing to work in your yard.

Dean doesn't find chain saws to be very relaxing.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia