IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Around the Yard... I mean Garden

putu enjula

:drool: The Marojejyas are spectacular! Always love Hawaii threads...

Thanks for sharing,

:) Jonathan

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

We already lost one of these... lol we need one of those cold hardy ones. Poor thing is struggling...

post-1234-066391300 1312840504_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I whined about how much I would like a pond so Dean gave me one for Christmas :yay: . He did the hard part, he dug the hole. I did the easier part, putting plants and rocks around it. It is only a few feet across.

post-1234-051910200 1312841194_thumb.jpg

post-1234-093066600 1312841273_thumb.jpg

post-1234-035278200 1312841340_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Spectacular!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Thanks everyone for the comments! I like to do these threads as an exercise to keep up with my photography skills!

Here is something that Dean almost stepped on! I released him onto a monstera. He is dark because he is upset!

post-1234-018513000 1312841959_thumb.jpg

post-1234-092332800 1312842100_thumb.jpg

post-1234-065573500 1312842135_thumb.jpg

post-1234-002836900 1312842183_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

You guys don't have a garden, you have a plant sanctuary!! WOW! I'm seriously considering your offer: hard work in the garden for a stay in such a place :)

Patricia

Angela,

Thanks for the tour. You did get inspired. The garden and the pictures are great.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I thought I would sneak in a pic of the lady behind the lens. :)

post-11-098281400 1312851931_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Angela,

Outstanding photos, and it would be a bit of an understatement to say that the garden is coming along nicely! Every time I stop by I'm impressed by the changes and the growth. I'm sure Dean can take the rest of the year off and just watch the stuff grow! :lol: And I would have to disagree on the Neoveitchias! :mrlooney:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

You definitely need that woman touch to bring a garden together, hey.... Very nice texture & colours... Love it!! Good job both of you.... BTW, where are the interesting tree collection??? My pentagonia just decided to commit suicide. That would be the last time I tried one for a while.....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Great thread, Angela, and I have to agree with Ari about a woman's touch in the garden. :) It's interesting that certain photos transcend the garden itself and take it to a higher art form, not simply showing "what is there" but finding and expressing the essence of the tropical garden we all yearn for, wherever we may be. Palm lovers around the world can't help but feel an emotional response to, say, the light coming through the Licuala fronds in post #25, and the angle of the shot, with the viewer looking up into the palms, it puts us right on the spot. Um, yeah, I'm a sucker for great palm photography. On top of that, anyone who has visited Dean's will recognize there is so much more in the garden beyond what is shown in the photos, and it becomes hard to wrap your mind around the beauty and complexity of it all.

On a more practical note, admiring the Kerriodoxa, I think the spacing is just exactly perfect to get that slight overlap of the giant fans, and wonder if you could share that number with me? 15 foot on center? 10? Several await placement.

Cheers

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wow, what a beautiful series of pictures. It makes me wonder (again), "why exactly don't I move there?". Thanks for taking the time to share.

BTW, the "monster Dypsis" hybrid you show (post 12) looks identical to one that Matty B. refers to as the "clumping ambositrae" that some folks are growing here. If that what these turn in to, wow. What do you think Matt?

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

We already lost one of these... lol we need one of those cold hardy ones. Poor thing is struggling...

Wow Angela, was that due to that rare frost you had up at 2,100ft. elevation? At 2,000ft. should be safe but 2,100ft. is just too risky!!!

Hey your garden looks great! Such a variety of all kinds of plants adding color and texture to all the palms. Makes me feel I need to get out in our garden and do some major work to even look half as good as you guys place.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

This Licuala cordata almost got eaten by a pig. Dean trapped the pig and our neighbor put a bullet in his head. He deserved it. I'm reposting the Dictyocaryum lamarckianum in case y'all missed it.

post-1234-010196800 1312977470_thumb.jpg

post-1234-072249000 1312977532_thumb.jpg

post-1234-031963500 1312977654_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to post such nice comments!! :)

What is funny is that by taking the camera out and trying to come up with interesting shots, I have discovered plants tucked away that I didn't even know that Dean had in the garden... it's not like he keeps a list around the house!! :lol:

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Your comment about whining for a pond made me laugh. Wish that would work for me, but I'm the only one who can hear me whine.

One of these days.

I found one of those Jackson's chameleons about a year ago wandering the backyard, but haven't seen one since.

Oh, those Kerriodoxa are stunning.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I have been whining for years too, Tim.... but the other half has other priority... So yes... it is down in the list of things to do....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I guess I wasn't exactly whining but I would say (quite often) that I missed having a pond. :rolleyes: I just thought it was so thoughtful of Dean to get me one as a gift! The best part of the present was that he dug the hole for it!!

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Dean's hard work...

Dean's hard work....??? And I thought all along that Dean didn't do anything outside in his garden and just paid someone to do all the maintence. :D

One of these days I'm coming out for a stay, I hope the offer is still in good standing. I'll bring all my hand tools and give Dean a little schooling! :lol:

Angela, I really enjoyed all your pictures, the garden has really come along nicely. I always enjoy seeing all the other tropical companion plants that are used along side the palms too. I just wished you guys didn't live on the other side of the world. :(

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

:)

:huh::)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

On a more practical note, admiring the Kerriodoxa, I think the spacing is just exactly perfect to get that slight overlap of the giant fans, and wonder if you could share that number with me? 15 foot on center? 10? Several await placement.

Thanks for noticing and appreciating the placement. As you are realizing, there is a lot of consideration given to the placement and selection of plantings when you are blessed with a large "canvas" to work with, and such an array of available colors, textures, sizes, and species. The duo you were admiring is exactly 8 ft apart. Each plant is 16 ft. wide, so they could actually be a little farther apart as are the other 5 in that area. There may not be a more beautiful fan palm - IMO.

One of these days I'm coming out for a stay, I hope the offer is still in good standing. I'll bring all my hand tools and give Dean a little schooling! :lol:

I'll believe it when I see it. But if you can get your butt out here and teach me how to garden, I've got the downstairs ohana for you and Andrea to call home while you're here.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Well I wish I could take credit for the women's touch thing, but most everything in the photos so far were planted already. As far as seeing through the lens, I guess that's where I add my touch. But I do bring a lot of orchids home and Dean attaches them to the Hapu'u, the Hawaiian native fern. I bring a lot of tis and anthuriums home too... I think I am an addict!

Here is an example of my adding my touch... :mrlooney:

You walk down the trail in the first pic down to a hidden away area.

post-1234-069790400 1313052096_thumb.jpg

post-1234-001449500 1313052185_thumb.jpg

post-1234-067470900 1313052278_thumb.jpg

post-1234-007242700 1313052361_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I bet not all of you have one of these in your garden!

Dean built the trap... nice to see that it worked!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Wait... the last pic looks like Actinokentia... the entire leafed Palms ?? dunno something from PNG? Calytrocalyx?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wait... the last pic looks like Actinokentia... the entire leafed Palms ?? dunno something from PNG? Calytrocalyx?

Yes the last one is Actinokentia and I was saying that the crown shaft is weird.... the others are Asterogyne martiana. Sorry I wasn't specific! :)

• Upvote 1

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Very Nice!!! I wish I could grow 10% of the palms/plants from your garden. Big bonus to all you ladies with bontany knowledge. BTW, my old lady does not know very much about plants let alone naming palms. She can differentiate between palms and trees though. :unsure:

I know some names of palms but I get lazy sometimes... Dean is like a walking palm encyclopedia so when I forget a name, I just ask him!

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I love a little surprise post pic every day or so... :drool: