IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea Sunkha pollen processing for hybrids

TimHopper

I wonder why they are taking so long. Do Parajubaea Sunkha seeds take a long time to mature compared to Syagrus.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I wonder why they are taking so long. Do Parajubaea Sunkha seeds take a long time to mature compared to Syagrus.

Tim...

Can't help with sunkha but cocoides takes ages...They don't change colour like queens either.

Congratulations on your efforts so far..

kind regards...

If Tim has cut them open and found them to be normal they should germinate. This should be something quite special.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Just an update to let everyone know that these Syagrus x Parajubaea Sunkha hybrid seeds are taking an extremely long time to ripen. Reqular queen seeds the same age in my garden have ripened and fallen to the ground weeks ago. Let's hope that they are worth the wait. They are contiuing to plump up, but are still green and none have fallen. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Keeping our fingers (& toes) crossed for a bountiful & viable harvest!!!!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 1 month later...

These Queen x Parajubaea Sunkha seeds are finally maturing. I am hoping to start cleaning some seeds next week.

001-7.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Nice, I can't wait to see seedlings.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Just an update to let everyone know that these Syagrus x Parajubaea Sunkha hybrid seeds are taking an extremely long time to ripen. Reqular queen seeds the same age in my garden have ripened and fallen to the ground weeks ago. Let's hope that they are worth the wait. They are contiuing to plump up, but are still green and none have fallen. Tim

You began to pollenate the queen inflorescence in August 2011, so the ripening of the hybrid queen fruits took only 7 months. My normal queens fruits here ,take +- 9 months to ripe

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

You began to pollenate the queen inflorescence in August 2011, so the ripening of the hybrid queen fruits took only 7 months. My normal queens fruits here ,take +- 9 months to ripe

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

These Queen x Parajubaea Sunkha seeds are finally maturing. I am hoping to start cleaning some seeds next week.

001-7.jpg

Congratulations Tim!

I'm sure your hard work and dilligence has paid off.

Best Wishes,

Rich

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

001-7.jpg

Tim the seeds look good,I hope you have a good germination

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

Great news Tim!!!! Thanks for the update!

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

I wonder if you got round to using any of the Parajubaea sunkha pollen on butia or Jubutia yet? I'm keen to get in line to buy the seedlings as and when they become available!!

Cleaned a few hundred of the ripest seed today and decided to build some new germination beds as my older ones ar starting to fall apart. I germinate all of my seeds in beds on top of the ground outdoors. I have tried lots of other techniques, but this works best for me. I usually put them in the beds in March-April and germination usually occurs before July with most seeds. Here are a few photos of my work today. These photos are of the bottom half of the bed. I use wire mesh and weed cloth on the bottom to keep out weeds and critters like moles. The weed cloth still allows good drainage.

001-9.jpg

002-13.jpg

003-6.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Here is a photo of the Syagrus R. x Parajubaea Sunkha seeds that I harvested this week. I have quite a few to work with, so I made a new seed cleaner too.

006-2.jpg

005-6.jpg

008-2.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I put two inches of course sand in the bottom and five inches of premium potting mix on top of that. I place the seeds and then cover with about an inch of potting mix. I have to cover the top with wire mesh to keep out all of the neighborhood squirrels.

007-3.jpg

011-1.jpg

009-3.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Today I only cleaned the very ripe seeds shown above in the ziplock bags. I have to wait about a week for the others to get ripe enough. The rest of the vacant seed beds shown in the photos will be used for other hybrids. I hope to attempt Jubutia x Parajubaea Sunkha soon if possible. Just waiting for my Jubutia to produce an inflorescence.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I forgot to mention that I usually populate my seed beds with hundreds of earthworms. I also buy a beneficial fungi from a hydroponics supplier, and pour it onto moist soil right after sowing.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Great update and pics Tim!!! Nice set up for your germination efforts! I'm looking forward to seeing these babies develop! And being a proud owner of one in the future... Jv

Nice looking germination setup, good luck.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Nice looking germination setup, good luck.

Thanks Matt

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Great update and pics Tim!!! Nice set up for your germination efforts! I'm looking forward to seeing these babies develop! And being a proud owner of one in the future... Jv

Thanks JV.... I have all of you guys in mind, and hope to have an all-new addition for everyones collection this year. Most of the credit goes to Gary LeVine for sending fresh Parajubaea Sunkha pollen and making this cross possible. Apparently Sunka offers the best of Parajubaea traits to this cross. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Thanks Tim! This should be an excellent hybrid and one that should work well for my zone. (BTW the BxS I got from you a couple yrs back, made the transplant to the new home/garden well and should really put some size on this year... thanks again for your hybridizing efforts!)

Ehi Tim, don't forget us, overseas people!!!

For many of us is more easy to import seeds than seedling.

Your germination tecnique is very interesting, I think I'll try it with species that need a sudden change of temperature.

Ciao

Giovanni

Noci (BA) Italia

350m a.s.l.

Zone 8b

Thanks Tim thats very interesting and informative stuff. Maybe thats really the better way to go , less damping off at cost of probable lower germination, but a healthier young seedling to start with.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Tim,

I am always looking for your next post to see what you are doing. You certainly should be commended for sharing information with the rest of us that might need to ride on your coat tails - nice seed cleaner!! The XJubutyagrus we purchased from you, called "Big Poppa," is mid-row in the first photo below and doing exceptional.

I thought that I would share something that has really worked well for my germination and seedlings growth to 1 year. I found a large landscaper in my area that had plenty of large 25 gallon of pots for sale cheap. I use those for my community germination pots and have had a high rate of germination. The pots are easily covered with chicken wire to keep out the varmits that enjoy eating seeds. The seedlings can stay in these pots for about a year since there is at least 24 inches of soil. The seedings go into a one gallon pot without any transplant shock - the very fine roots stay with the soil. I get about 200 seedlings per pot and have 30 pots planted with seeds that are just starting to come up 2012 - do the math and what was I thinking!!! Here are some additional photos of my nursery http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa359/backyardparadise/

IMG_2844.jpgIMG_2847.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have planted my germination bed three weeks ago, and hoping to see some germination by the first of June. I have some extra seeds if anyone is interested. I have them listed in the palm exchange forum here http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=32676

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report that the Syagrus x Parajubaea Sunkha seeds that I planted four weeks ago have begun germinating (in bed photographed post #98 above). I can never resist digging around in the corner of the bed to check. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I am happy to report that the Syagrus x Parajubaea Sunkha seeds that I planted four weeks ago have begun germinating (in bed photographed post #98 above). I can never resist digging around in the corner of the bed to check. Tim

Thats great Tim, you have got this whole process dialed down to a fine art now, very impressive.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 1 month later...

These Syagru x Parajubaea Sunkha are germinating at a good percentage. These photos are 9 weeks after planting in the germination bed.

864b5092.jpg

4f29171d.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Tim,

Assuming you're getting the rain we're getting, those seedlings (and you) must be loving it. congrats on what looks like a success.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 month later...

thanks TIm.

i can´t wait to see what becomes.

post-1753-0-89838800-1343092716_thumb.jp

regards

Edited by sergiskan

Just an update to let everyone know that these Syagrus x Parajubaea Sunkha hybrid seeds are taking an extremely long time to ripen. Reqular queen seeds the same age in my garden have ripened and fallen to the ground weeks ago. Tim

hello Tim.

You said that your seeds took longer to ripe...

because in my hands have taken less time to germinate than a regular queen seeds... :mrlooney:

regards.

Edited by sergiskan

Tim,

I really want to try 1 or 2 of those here in the North Dallas area of Texas. My mule palms are doing very well so far for the heat and cold we have here. Only testing will we know what they will take for cold hardiness. Let me know what these would cost for some trials here.

Thanks,

Korey

• 3 years later...