Sign in to follow this  
The Silent Seed

Can you ID this ?

The Silent Seed

A friend gave me this palm a while ago - any idea what it is ? He did not know. Pardon the background - my fiancee just moved to this place and is still unpacking!

post-5700-090184400 1312401698_thumb.jpg

MattyB

I'd say Arenga possibly A. engleri

The Silent Seed

I took this photo in the turn of a hat, with Photo Booth, and can very easily take more, if you want to see certain angles, or the trunk, or whatnot, if it would help with closing in on the ID.

Alberto

Also,probably Arenga engleri

stygiana

I agree with Matty and Alberto, I would also say it's an Arenga too, and most probably A. engleri because of its look as a seedling and because engleri is a fairly common species of that genus. But to help us to narrow the ID (as actually there are some engleri relatives which can look quite like yours, although there are less common) could you please tell us where did you find the plant or seeds?

Anyway, good luck with this baby, Arengas and allied are such nice (and fragrant) palms... I love them all.

Edited by Sebastian Bano

The Silent Seed

A friend gave it to me last fall - no background on it - he grows uncommon plants, (He is the one who gave me my Manila Gold Veit, so it may or may not be a more uncommon Arenga - but I'm glad to have it narrowed down to at least Arenga. Fragrant? I wouldn't know - I cannot smell! :)

How might one determine which Arenga it is, definitively?

It will take a couple years, but I have some sprouted Arenga engleri and tremula seeds, that I could compare down the line, if nothing better comes up before then.

tank

Looks like a dude sitting in his house shirtless holding up an arenga.