IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who grows palms inside, and what kinds?

The Silent Seed

Your also doing a disfavor to your customers if you are growing that many plants indoors under those condition. Weak plants don't live long my friend.

Are you sure you don't want to bow out gracefully now, and then show pic of what you do have which is probably more like 2,400 plants.

Trust me its a good deal and, no one will think the worst of you for it.

Oh to be young and foolish again!

We were able to cram 500 1 gallon palms in a 20 foot by 8.5 foot trailer with 1 shelf.

post-1930-054512000 1313608511_thumb.jpg

This here I believe the count was around 35,000 give or take 5000. Most of these are in cell trays very small or 1 gallon size.

post-1930-032517400 1313608942_thumb.jpg

First of all - I use photobooth on my Mac laptop, so it's not so easy and quick as point and shoot. But, due to this thread becoming ridiculous on so many levels, I just went out and took a load of pictures to share.

I didn't come here to, and don't need to, defend having 24,000 plants. But, here are some pictures of my set-up. It works for me. True, I can't keep every single plant happy 100% of the time, but I'm happy with it.

Also, regarding square footage and all that - that reminded me, that I also put bunches of seedlings in the same pot, which also saves space. Unlike most people, I'm not trying to get them to grow as big, as fast, as possible - so that doesn't concern me.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the plants in the picture. I've also included my largest / oldest Palm - which will be self explanatory. (I know how old it is - but can you guess?)

As for heat / lighting / etc - I installed some large windows that open with a turning knob (not sure what those are called) - and use fans to help ventilation. Bugs are bugs, and when they get out of control, I resort to a generic spray maybe four times a year. More lights are going to be added, as well as some type of foam sheeting for the walls that have a R value to improve heating efficiency in the winter.

It really doesn't have to be fancy - as I've found, through trial and error.

post-5700-005498700 1313610344_thumb.jpg

post-5700-057833700 1313610355_thumb.jpg

post-5700-029018200 1313610364_thumb.jpg

post-5700-070382700 1313610371_thumb.jpg

post-5700-065174900 1313610464_thumb.jpg

post-5700-046748500 1313610472_thumb.jpg

post-5700-027790200 1313610483_thumb.jpg

post-5700-080888400 1313610491_thumb.jpg

post-5700-041024300 1313610500_thumb.jpg

post-5700-046515900 1313610508_thumb.jpg

post-5700-081021600 1313610515_thumb.jpg

Well thanks for showing us Santoury! That didn't take that long-and I personally admire that you were able to figure how to post the pics as I still haven't been able to.

Is that var. hala in the second picture? I was picturing a lot of seedlings, but you actually have quite a few in gallons or 6" azalea pots, and its not as crowded as I was picturing-probably because you have nowhere near 24,000 plants there. Not even close to 2400 plants. But you do have alot-enough to make you a crazy plant person!

By the way, I did not see any large palms there-what am I missing?

oh boy... i think this thread is going to be 24,000 pages long :blink:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Say what you want to - on another thread - in the "off topic" please - but this isn't half of the plants. I'm not going to take hundreds of pictures of all the different angles, shelves, etc - but I promised pictures, and fulfilled my promise.

You guys can argue how many plants I have, but the fact is, yes, there indeed are 24,000 give or take a few. (Why is it such a big deal, anyway? It is what it is. If you are jealous, then by all means, grow more!!!)

Variegated Hala ? Are you talking about a Pandanus? I think in the picture you may be seeing a variegated, and "reverse variegated" Pineapple. I do have a variegated Pandanus, but do not know the species.

The Palm is the one with my hand in the picture :) We always talk about the more unusual / rarer Palms on here, so this is a blast from the past, as it were... it's a good old Ponytail, and it is 38 years old. Older than I am! That reminds me, I have to show you guys my 50+ year old "mutant" Ponytail. I'll post it in a new thread shortly!

ponytail palm isnt a true palm tree. i was looking for something else then...

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Thanks santoury for the pics!

@ErikSJI - have you ever thought of exporting to Australia? You'd find a ready market in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide - that's a population of about 11 million people in those southern cities.

Best.

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

@ErikSJI - have you ever thought of exporting to Australia? You'd find a ready market in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide - that's a population of about 11 million people in those southern cities.

Best.

Adam

I just sent Peachy some in Australia. I have already checked with some nurseries with no luck. Maybe you can provide me with some nurseries that might be interested. They never replied. Getting ready to send some out to NZ. I heard it is hell to get stuff in there.

Ok Guys,

The pics got posted, so it's time to give Santoury a break. I was tempted to delete this whole thread, but Santoury is being a good sport and rolling with the punches, so please don't add anything more that would make me do it.

Personally I think he deserves some credit for his perseverance. And if the purpose of this forum is to expand an interest in palms, then he should be encouraged, not ridiculed. It's time for a little more PalmTalk aloha spirit.

• Like 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

You're very welcome - I'll add some photos of the actual PALMS soon - yes, yes, another short wait!

agreed Mr. Mod. I was going to suggest to Santoury that he post some close up pics of the palm seedlings that he is having trouble with and maybe we can help him, given that he did ask for help in another thread, but without showing us pictures. Pictures help a lot.

Best.

Adam

I just sent Peachy some in Australia. I have already checked with some nurseries with no luck. Maybe you can provide me with some nurseries that might be interested. They never replied. Getting ready to send some out to NZ. I heard it is hell to get stuff in there.

Not too sure how you could export plants into Oz as they have to do at least 6months in a licensed quarantine facility. I was just quoted $200.00 per plant for the quarantine PLUS inspection and treatment fees.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Dude you have an addiction! Welcome to the club. :lol: You can never have to many plant I always say. :mrlooney:

Edited by Palm crazy

Best.

Adam

Not too sure how you could export plants into Oz as they have to do at least 6months in a licensed quarantine facility. I was just quoted $200.00 per plant for the quarantine PLUS inspection and treatment fees.

Bruce

They do not have the same restrictions on seeds. That is what I sent them out there. Not only that the Mule Palm being what it is a Mule that puts off no offspring. Is not invasive. Most plants are restricted from entering another country because they are invasive and of course other reasons.

We all ready in the United States have a problem shipping palms from state to state for several different reasons. However this palm is not on any of those lists.

We are also working on shipping seedlings as well to OZ. We are cleared for Europe. Now we are working on Oz as well as NZ.

I know there are big importers there in Australia. Maybe you are getting charged per palm because you do not have an import license? Big Brother always wants his cut.

Best.

Adam

Bruce

They do not have the same restrictions on seeds. That is what I sent them out there. Not only that the Mule Palm being what it is a Mule that puts off no offspring. Is not invasive. Most plants are restricted from entering another country because they are invasive and of course other reasons.

We all ready in the United States have a problem shipping palms from state to state for several different reasons. However this palm is not on any of those lists.

We are also working on shipping seedlings as well to OZ. We are cleared for Europe. Now we are working on Oz as well as NZ.

I know there are big importers there in Australia. Maybe you are getting charged per palm because you do not have an import license? Big Brother always wants his cut.

Here is the AQIS Post Entry list of charges you have to contend with,

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/import/plants-grains-hort/fees-charges

So for the six months of quarantine required you would be charged $720 AUD for each square metre of greenhouse space PLUS all the testing and inspection fees.

The last container load of plants which I shipped out of Australia I had a bill of $1120.00 for inspection and phyto fees. The Australian Government LOVES to charge $$$$ for their services.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Best.

Adam

Bruce

Seeds to NZ is doable with a phyto. and any hybrids would be a welcome addition to our palm landscape. Plants do get imported too but we have six months quarantine and fees galore like Oz. Maybe with a large batch of barerooted seedlings it would be economic. I hope you are successful!

This import / export stuff is fascinating, but can you guys start a new thread for that? This thread is for sharing experiences with growing Palms indoors. Thanks! Jude

post-3847-018968000 1313591022_thumb.jpg

:D

Seeings I'm one of the ole dogs around here(cough,cough), I was very happy with just seeing where this thread was going,BUT, that picture was just hilarous(!!!).

Not really interested in seeing all these pictures of palms(20,000+), I look at enough of my own everyday. :o the drama continues......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jude,

I think you hit a sore spot a while back referring to some palms as "expensive", and the offended wont soon forget. But "expensive' can mean you just dont have the money(expensive for you). But calling someone a "cheapskate" is a direct personal insult, not everyone is wise enough to know the difference. One thing about being a businessman is that -IF you deal with people- you always win taking the high road and lose by going low. Stooping low just makes you look bad in the eyes of those who dont know you. Not everyone knows this, but you apparently do. Happy growing, and good luck with that garage! :)

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

All emotions and opinions aside, I think the MOD did a great job in spelling this out for you. There's no reason for this to be a personal dialogue between anybody.

This thread is for people to share experiences growing Palms indoors - No, I don't have 20,000 palms - that's obvious from my photos. I only have about 100 palms at present.

Jeff, if you are not interested in seeing Palm pictures, then maybe this isn't the place for you? I always love seeing pictures of other people's palms, and as promised, I will be posting photos of some of mine on here soon.

Let's stick to the spirit of what this forum is all about, which is PALMS.

First of all - I use photobooth on my Mac laptop, so it's not so easy and quick as point and shoot. But, due to this thread becoming ridiculous on so many levels, I just went out and took a load of pictures to share.

I didn't come here to, and don't need to, defend having 24,000 plants. But, here are some pictures of my set-up. It works for me. True, I can't keep every single plant happy 100% of the time, but I'm happy with it.

Also, regarding square footage and all that - that reminded me, that I also put bunches of seedlings in the same pot, which also saves space. Unlike most people, I'm not trying to get them to grow as big, as fast, as possible - so that doesn't concern me.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the plants in the picture. I've also included my largest / oldest Palm - which will be self explanatory. (I know how old it is - but can you guess?)

As for heat / lighting / etc - I installed some large windows that open with a turning knob (not sure what those are called) - and use fans to help ventilation. Bugs are bugs, and when they get out of control, I resort to a generic spray maybe four times a year. More lights are going to be added, as well as some type of foam sheeting for the walls that have a R value to improve heating efficiency in the winter.

It really doesn't have to be fancy - as I've found, through trial and error.

Jude, I don't see a single palm in those hectic photos! maybe there are some, but I don't have a magnifying glass to examine the photos. You should be nominated for one of those makeover shows where the most needy candidate is hooked up with an acre somewhere where you can actually grow those plants, you love, outside! Do they have one of those shows?.. :rolleyes:

There are indeed some Palms mixed in - but it would be impossible to pinpoint them in the masses - I keep most of my Palms in a room in the house, though, where they get more natural sun - and here are two photos - two of my "palm trays."

While your speculation about "needy candidates" is amusing, and based on an active imagination, I certainly would love an acre to grow on, in the South. I have an acre here, though. God knows the 24,000 plants could use more room. I never said it wasn't crowded. :)

If anybody wants more detailed photos, I'm happy to take them for you, or to supply names to go with them.

post-5700-048462800 1313700271_thumb.jpg

post-5700-043108400 1313700288_thumb.jpg

You look just as proud as we all are with our own plants--Keep growing them, Jude and I hope you win that makeover show I made up! :lol:

Jude,

I think you hit a sore spot a while back referring to some palms as "expensive", and the offended wont soon forget. But "expensive' can mean you just dont have the money(expensive for you). But calling someone a "cheapskate" is a direct personal insult, not everyone is wise enough to know the difference. One thing about being a businessman is that -IF you deal with people- you always win taking the high road and lose by going low. Stooping low just makes you look bad in the eyes of those who dont know you. Not everyone knows this, but you apparently do. Happy growing, and good luck with that garage! :)

Well if you are a businessman and you lie, most consider that low. Interesting you don't.

I just found the "pack of dogs" psychology exhibited here more distasteful than the hilarious claim of 24,000 plants/palms... I now have more appreciation for members that conduct themselves with more civility when involved in disagreements. :)

Tom Blank

Jude,

Well if you are a businessman and you lie, most consider that low. Interesting you don't.

I just found the "pack of dogs" psychology exhibited here more distasteful than the hilarious claim of 24,000 plants/palms... I now have more appreciation for members that conduct themselves with more civility when involved in disagreements. :)

I agree; arguing doesn't have to be part of an argument, and name calling means the name caller has forfeit the argument.

And... the best part of it, is I really do have 24,000 plants, and always enjoy discussing them with people of kindred spirit. Share pictures of YOUR indoor set-ups also!

I am making one last "request" - after deleting several more posts.

Santoury is doing his best to stay cordial and on topic. Please do the same.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I agree; arguing doesn't have to be part of an argument..

It's pretty essential, isn't it? unsure.gif

Well, I'm going to post some photos here later. That's a promise. biggrin.gif

I have indoors:

Chamaedorea angustisecta

Chambeyronia lepidota

Lavoixia macrocarpa

Ravenea xerophila

Pritchardia martii

Trachycarpus princeps

Keep up the good work !! Although I have an outdoor garden, the inside of my little house is full of seedlings on every level surface, the carport is now a shadehouse, the deck has a little track between the pots for me to get in and out, same story for the front porch and only 7 metres of my 33 metre concrete slab driveway is left vacant for the car. I wont mention the edges of the pathways or the shaded areas under the big trees. Baby you are officially a palm junkie.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I have indoors:

Chamaedorea angustisecta

Chambeyronia lepidota

Lavoixia macrocarpa

Ravenea xerophila

Pritchardia martii

Trachycarpus princeps

John,

Lavoixia macrocarpa ? Inside? Now that's saying something! I couldn't even spell the genus without looking at your writing. :D Hey, wait a minute, can you post a picture? I'm not even sure what one looks like.

At the moment, we have only 2-3 palms inside. A/C seems to be the root of the problem, I think.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have indoors:

Chamaedorea angustisecta

Chambeyronia lepidota

Lavoixia macrocarpa

Ravenea xerophila

Pritchardia martii

Trachycarpus princeps

John,

Lavoixia macrocarpa ? Inside? Now that's saying something! I couldn't even spell the genus without looking at your writing. :D Hey, wait a minute, can you post a picture? I'm not even sure what one looks like.

At the moment, we have only 2-3 palms inside. A/C seems to be the root of the problem, I think.

Jeff, the Lavoixia (Clinosperma) are brown-tipping. Not a lot I can do, but here they were taken 8 weeks ago: http://www.palmtalk....ndpost&p=471278

I was paranoid about root rot, although I think the roots may be too aerated. They're in humus and vermiculite. I'm keeping them on the dry side too.

Inside late fall/winter; outside in the early spring:

8 ft. bottle palm

8ft. foxtail

4ft. Sago

chamaerops humilis (green, blue & vulcano)

w. filifera (5ft.)

c. crinata

T. wagnerianus

ekmaniana

dwarf catechu

needle palm

bismakia

J. chilensis

B. Armata

Inside:

8ft. Christmas palms

6 varieties of variegated rhapis

6' foxtails (3 in pot)

2 sagos

7ft. Kentia

2 waggies

3 dwarf catechu (largest 3.5ft)

more c. humilis

lg. 7 gal c. borhidiana

T.ekmanii

4ft. variegated fishtail palm & three seedlings

8ft. Licuala Grandis

seedling lipstick palm & c.macroglossa

All indoor palms grown under 1000wts of Metal Halide lights.

My prized palms are the borhidiana that I've had for 4 years and my L. Mapu and Chamadorea Tuerckheimii. These last 2 grow in A 60 Gal. glass terrarium; high humidity with fan for air circulation.

I have indoors:

Chamaedorea angustisecta

Chambeyronia lepidota

Lavoixia macrocarpa

Ravenea xerophila

Pritchardia martii

Trachycarpus princeps

John,

Tom

Baltimore, Maryland

Inside late fall/winter; outside in the early spring:

8 ft. bottle palm

8ft. foxtail

4ft. Sago

chamaerops humilis (green, blue & vulcano)

w. filifera (5ft.)

c. crinata

T. wagnerianus

ekmaniana

dwarf catechu

needle palm

bismakia

J. chilensis

B. Armata

Inside:

8ft. Christmas palms

6 varieties of variegated rhapis

6' foxtails (3 in pot)

2 sagos

7ft. Kentia

2 waggies

3 dwarf catechu (largest 3.5ft)

more c. humilis

lg. 7 gal c. borhidiana

T.ekmanii

4ft. variegated fishtail palm & three seedlings

8ft. Licuala Grandis

seedling lipstick palm & c.macroglossa

All indoor palms grown under 1000wts of Metal Halide lights.

My prized palms are the borhidiana that I've had for 4 years and my L. Mapu and Chamadorea Tuerckheimii. These last 2 grow in A 60 Gal. glass terrarium; high humidity with fan for air circulation.

I have indoors:

Chamaedorea angustisecta

Chambeyronia lepidota

Lavoixia macrocarpa

Ravenea xerophila

Pritchardia martii

Trachycarpus princeps

John,

Looks like a nice collection, Tew. I'd say the 1000w metal halide lights are doing a nice job inside looking at some of the sizes and species.

Tom Blank