IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who grows palms inside, and what kinds?

The Silent Seed

How are those pictures coming Santoury? I think all of us in the colder regions are really interested to see how you fit 24,000 plants in the area that you mentioned. Am always looking for ideas on how to overwinter tropicals.

I noticed he posted some photos on Daves garden. Still patiently waiting myself.

Hi guys

Just got back from being out of town - the pics are coming.

Erik - those Dave's photos are from a long time ago.

Yes your last post with photo was June 15, 2011 of a pink lady slipper orchid. That was a little over two weeks after this post started. I can share the photo for you. If you do not have time.

I keep coming back to this thread thinkin' there's loads of pics in here... :angry:

TightenUp Santoury. We all want to know how its done up there in Mass...

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

i say we get an unruly mob together with torches & pitchforks & storm the castle! :lol:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I have a dragon we can use. I'll post a pic of it, someday.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

matts telling the truth... i saw its fruit!!!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Let me guess you will post a pic this weekend......

I just got back from a trip to Santoury's house. I went into the bathroom and look what I saw. This bathroom was only 5' x 5'. You should see what he has growing in his garage!

post-126-008428600 1313533096_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

heres a well deserved "ROTF," matt:

:floor:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Matt wake up wake up! It was just a bad dream, or maybe a dream come true.

I'm thinking about getting a dragon too, just waiting for them to go on Sale.

Can you imagine trying to water all those palms, yikes.

Edited by Palm crazy

I keep coming back to this thread thinkin' there's loads of pics in here... :angry:

TightenUp Santoury. We all want to know how its done up there in Mass...

No cameras are allowed in the Provincetown Sanitorium :unsure:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

This is slowly becoming my favorite thread.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Santoury, you now have the chance to make fools of us all...don't waste this opportunity

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Maybe by next April. We can be April fools.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

This thread is a train wreck in the making. The making, I might add of yours, Santoury. I hope to heck that you are not out there trying to accumulate 24, 000 plants right now-that would be the grand finale of this crash. Why don't you just gracefully admit that you got way carried away with the bragging and we can all let it go-hopefully as gracefully.

I suspect that you are fairly new to plant growing/collecting, so what you need to realize is that we plant people are very forgiving people when humility leads the way in communication-esp when you dont know much about growing. Its alot harder than it looks, and takes years to accumulate knowledge-esp because most of that knowledge gained is hard fought from personal experience. Everyone screws up, and everyone knows it-so hence the humility. But people that come to the growing world and have little to back up their bragging really do rub people the wrong way. I hope you take this in the spirit that I am offering it-so that you don't have train wreck threads like this in the future. As entertaining as it has been, at least for me, it has also been kind of painful to watch.

Kahili!!! "plant people"??? i dont know if thats P.C.... :mrlooney:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

lol whatever the heck we are-crazy is how my friends would look at me as. There are literally rooms filled with plants, big plants mostly-but not 24,000 if them-thank god!, in my house in the winter. I have to put plastic down for the whole room in one room and usually just say "f..k it" and drag an hose in from outside to water on occasion. I will willingly say that I am one of the crazies in this regard.

They must be as thick as hairs on a cat's back so I think he is growing them as "Chia Pets"

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Guys, let's stick to the thread topic and not get carried away.

The photos are coming.

There will always be disbelievers among us plant people (sic) but I started this thread to see if anybody else is doing what I am doing, and it just so happens that I have managed to cram that many plants in a relatively small space.

Jude

:bemused:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

1.The film may be soaked in water to swell the gelatin layer.

2.The developer converts the latent image to metallic silver.

3.A stop bath, typically a dilute solution of acetic acid or citric acid, halts the action of the developer. A rinse with clean water may be substituted.

4.The fixer makes the image permanent and light-resistant by dissolving any remaining silver halide salts. Fixer is sometimes called hypo, a misnomer originating from casually shortened form of the alchemist's name hyposulphite. Neither hyposulphite, hyposulfite, nor hypo is used to mean thiosulfate in modern chemistry.

5.Washing in clean water removes any remaining fixer. Residual fixer can corrode the silver image, leading to discolouration, staining and fading.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I had a collection of 25,000 baseball cards. I never counted them all. I was sure there was 25,000. Then I got a ruler. There were 700 cards to 24 inches. I started stacking and measuring, stacking and measuring It went on for a while.

I'm not trying to steal Santoury's thunder, but I am guessing he has 23,999 more plants just like this one all stacked up real high and real low and everywhere inside that converted garage.

DSC00835.jpg

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

Finally somebody is catching on. Yes, quite a few are on the smaller side, and I do use smaller pots when possible, to conserve space. But, yes, they do grow.... And to reclaim the thread.... is there nobody else who grows a majority of their plants with an indoor setup?

Finally somebody is catching on. Yes, quite a few are on the smaller side, and I do use smaller pots when possible, to conserve space. But, yes, they do grow.... And to reclaim the thread.... is there nobody else who grows a majority of their plants with an indoor setup?

The average 2 car garage is a little under 1000 square feet. If you used 3 inch by 3 inch containers. That would be 16 plants per square foot. You would be able to cover the whole floor with no walking room with 16,000 plants. This is assuming they are small plants. Now take out the plants where you would need the walkways and stack them up on shelving. Lets assume the walkways in between plant shelves is two foot. 2 feet x the 25 foot length of the garage is 50 square feet. I would assume you would need at least 2 walkways in between so that is 100 sqare feet gone. Which brings you down to 15,000 plants. You can stack them anyway you prefer with shelving and what not. I assume you have proper ventilation. Proper lighting. How on earth do you keep down the mold that you are going to endure from watering in your garage? How do you keep down on the bugs you are going to encounter by having so many plants in a crammed area? In my opinion if you have 24,000 plants stuffed in your garage you are setting yourself up for failure. This is why we would like to see photos of your operation. It is as easy as click and shoot Santoury. I know you can do it I see the photos you post on Daves Garden and ebay where you are selling your plants.

The average 2 car garage is a little under 1000 square feet. If you used 3 inch by 3 inch containers. That would be 16 plants per square foot. You would be able to cover the whole floor with no walking room with 16,000 plants. This is assuming they are small plants. Now take out the plants where you would need the walkways and stack them up on shelving. Lets assume the walkways in between plant shelves is two foot. 2 feet x the 25 foot length of the garage is 50 square feet. I would assume you would need at least 2 walkways in between so that is 100 sqare feet gone. Which brings you down to 15,000 plants. You can stack them anyway you prefer with shelving and what not. I assume you have proper ventilation. Proper lighting. How on earth do you keep down the mold that you are going to endure from watering in your garage? How do you keep down on the bugs you are going to encounter by having so many plants in a crammed area? In my opinion if you have 24,000 plants stuffed in your garage you are setting yourself up for failure. This is why we would like to see photos of your operation. It is as easy as click and shoot Santoury. I know you can do it I see the photos you post on Daves Garden and ebay where you are selling your plants.

Sorry the average garage size is 22ft by 22ft. So you can cut that number in half to around 8000 3 inch containers that would completely cover the floor.

lol Erik-you just described a puppy factory that I heard about on the radio not too long ago...makes me cringe.

Santoury-since you are sticking by your story here, all the plants will be alive-right?? I don't even care about brown edges.

And I don't know if you read what i wrote above, but I did say that i did grow a lot of plants inside during the winters-so yes, I am one. But I believe in light and space while growing them. Just from a grower's perspective, your setup (should there really be that many plants) sounds like a growers nightmare-for many reasons-lack of space, air circulation, light, uncontrollable humidity etc

lol Erik-you just described a puppy factory that I heard about on the radio not too long ago...makes me cringe.

Santoury-since you are sticking by your story here, all the plants will be alive-right?? I don't even care about brown edges.

And I don't know if you read what i wrote above, but I did say that i did grow a lot of plants inside during the winters-so yes, I am one. But I believe in light and space while growing them. Just from a grower's perspective, your setup (should there really be that many plants) sounds like a growers nightmare-for many reasons-lack of space, air circulation, light, uncontrollable humidity etc

I am amazed.. That is why I would like to see a photo. I would assume most palms / plants would prefer being in a 1 gallon after being a year old. Here is a photo of 1200 palms 1 gallon. 4 rows. 6 wide. 50 deep. The path ways are just wide enough to walk through. The spacing it took for these more represents a large 3 car garage. Even if I stacked them up to the ceiling 5 shelves I would still only have room for 6000 plants at the small 1 gallon size. So I would assume with in a year most of those plants in Santourys garage are going to become compost.

post-1930-067181800 1313607853_thumb.jpg