IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who grows palms inside, and what kinds?

The Silent Seed

whats your biggest palm?

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Vincent - I can only imagine!

Joe - Almost none :) If it is hardy, it is outside already - have just as many out in my yard :)

My biggest Palm? I'd have to say my Rhapis, at about 3 feet, or my ancient Ponytail, it is too big for its 14 inch diameter pot (The caudex is right at the edges) - It's only about 1 1/2 feet tall though. I really have not had Palms for that long - 4 years is almost nothing, for them height-wise.

My biggest plant in there is a 9 foot Norfolk Island Pine (Or columnaris)

Erik - are those seedlings in one huge, huge tray? Or are they in cells?

The ones in the green house are just beds with seeds planted. The ones in the shade house are 3.5 x 5.5 inch containers.

One bed in the green house is 30,000 seeds.

post-1930-056312500 1312243801_thumb.jpg

Erik - are those seedlings in one huge, huge tray? Or are they in cells?

The ones in the green house are just beds with seeds planted. The ones in the shade house are 3.5 x 5.5 inch containers.

One bed in the green house is 30,000 seeds.

Here is the whole bed. Mr. Mark Lynn owner of Mule Palm Nursery watering them down.

post-1930-066823500 1312243927_thumb.jpg

Erik, better diversify or you will be putting yourself out of business with those numbers!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

There was this dude growing under artificial lights in Cape Coral. The cops raided his house and arrested him. He had quite a garden as they said his plants were worth almost a million dollars. That is some collection.

HAHAHA

awesome pics erik... where's yours santoury...

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

Jude, many members of our Ukrainian/Russian palm forum have large indoor collections with years of experience. Between them they grow probably over 100 different species of palms. Most of the palms in these collections were grown from seeds, majority of which are regularly collected in popular vacation spots mainly Thailand. The forum is mostly in Russian so if you have questions about a particular species I could find out the indoor success/failure stories.

This is an example link to an indoor collection in the heart of Siberia http://myflora.org.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=735 (there are 11 pages there, the numbers for scrolling is at the top on the right)

Wow - thanks for sharing - those palms are gorgeous - and the palms look extremely healthy - almost TOO healthy! I'd be interested in hearing about the lights and heating systems that they are using.

I'm also curious about the yellow flecks on the palm that is about 4 or 5 photos down from the first page?

Thanks, Jude

awesome pics erik... where's yours santoury...

Yes! This thread means nothing to me without pics!

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

In four years of growing Palms like this, I have not had one single failure - except for ones that I watered too much, or let dry out

So besides rotting or drying out your palms don't die. That's great optimism. I think I'll adopt that for myself. If you don't count my heart stopping and all the tissues in my body decaying, I'm immortal.

Exactly! Me too! I've had nothing but success with palms except the ones that are overwatered or dry out, or too cold or too much sun, other than that, every palm I've tried has been a slam dunk!

Matty, what's with the new avatar? Did you snap a headshot for an audition for the Green River Killer? Twisted!

-eric

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Lytocarium sp are great indoor palms.

BTW were and what is ´´MA´´ ????

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto - thanks for the suggestion of Lytocaryum. I just did a group order from Floribunda Palms (Best seller ever!) and one of the guys got some Lytocaryum. They are gorgeous. I'll have to try one next time!

"MA" stands for Massachusetts, which is in the Northeastern part of the United States. If you have seen the movie "The Perfect Storm" - that is 40 minutes south of me. I, too, live on the coast, but closer to New Hampshire and Maine, than Gloucester (in the movie.)

You guys are good.

I know about all that stuff plus a bit:

Too much fertilizer, bad soil, not enough light, bad chemicals (pesticide/?herbicide), trampling under foot, and neglect.

But never bad judgement on my part in selection of species that shouldn't grow here.

In four years of growing Palms like this, I have not had one single failure - except for ones that I watered too much, or let dry out

So besides rotting or drying out your palms don't die. That's great optimism. I think I'll adopt that for myself. If you don't count my heart stopping and all the tissues in my body decaying, I'm immortal.

Exactly! Me too! I've had nothing but success with palms except the ones that are overwatered or dry out, or too cold or too much sun, other than that, every palm I've tried has been a slam dunk!

Matty, what's with the new avatar? Did you snap a headshot for an audition for the Green River Killer? Twisted!

-eric

You guys are good.

Too much fertilizer, bad soil, not enough light, bad chemicals (pesticide/?herbicide), trampling under foot, and neglect.

But never bad judgement on my part in selection of species that shouldn't grow here.

-eric

Mine always die from loving them to much :lol:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Any luck with the pictures Santoury?

Very very curious since I am also a palm nut in a rather disadvantage location (Colorado).

Also, not sure if you mentioned this, but what kind of power bills do you have (especially during the winter)?

You guys are good.

-eric

SutterBob! Easy big guy. Considering you've never had bad judgement on your part in your palm selection, I'm curious as to why your judgement of my remarks was so off? I shall impart a small suggestion for your tirade...breathe in, breathe

out, move on. And if trampling palms underneath your feet is a problem, I suggest start with a bigger palm! Who knows? Maybe one day you'll kill a palm due to bad selection, or even less likely, develop a sense of humor.

--FINS UP FOR ME!!!!---

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

Still working on photos - will be out of town for a week though!

I find pointing a camera at subject and pressing the "take picture" button highly helpful.

Takes 30 seconds.

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Still working on photos - will be out of town for a week though!

I find pointing a camera at subject and pressing the "take picture" button highly helpful.

Takes 30 seconds.

:floor:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I'd like to defend santoury here. Posting photos is sometimes a challenge for me as well. This is what I usually go through to post a picture. First I need to get it over onto my computer. This usually involves hooking the camera up and running the software that's going to help me organize my photos on the computer. I take on average over a thousand photos every month (not just of palms of course) so keeping them organized is key and things easily become unmanageable. The next step is re-sizing. My photos are about 12MB each and cannot be uploaded to palmtalk without first getting their size reduced. I don't reduce the originals to preserve their quality, so I need to make a copy of a file and place it in another folder, or actually a structure of folders because things need to be in order there as well or I would lose track. Then the file needs to be renamed, so I won't mistake it for the original. Then I re-size. I found that the software that can just be told to make a file be of a certain size does a pretty crappy job re-sizing. So I use software where I explicitly tell the program what the pixel size should be and make it an exact fraction of the original for best quality. Well a lot of the times I'm off with my math and files come out to be 2.01 MB. Too big. Re-sizing that some more is not going to come out right, so I would have to go fetch the original again and do this all over.

The iPhone did make it easier for me to post photos, but when I really want to tell the story I have to go with my camera. And I am a trigger-happy photographer. Yesterday I went up to St. Pete to the GK Palm Arboretum. Took about 700 pictures. Now imagine what I have to go through to not only post them, but to also pic the best 100 out of 700 to post. So I begin to procrastinate.

You might say: "All this pain is self-inflicted Alex!" And you would be absolutely right. You might also say: "This sounds like an OCD man!" And there is some truth there. But I is what I is, and this is how I roll.

I guess all I'm trying to say is - Easy on santoury! wink-1.gif

Let's just say that my life does not revolve around taking pictures of my plants, but rather working :) All in good time -patience is a virtue!

Eric,

Just kidding earlier. My palm graveyard is full of tropical stuff that never had a chance here.

I'm working on the humor next - bear with me.

Let's just say that my life does not revolve around taking pictures of my plants, but rather working :) All in good time -patience is a virtue!

With all that work it should leave you plenty of money to buy premium palms. Anxiously awaiting the photos as well.

Jude,

You mentioned in Eric's post where he was selling his mule palm lot that you sell plants for a living. I'm sure we'd all love to know what types of plants you sell. Please post pics of your operation.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I believe he ran a company called the silent seed. Then shutdown his shop and moved all his plants into his garage.

I could not tell from this picture:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=29608&view=findpost&p=479452

:)

Even if you threw in a fish tale on the number of plants you have, you should be commended on your commitment to this hobby considering you live in a tough place to grow tropical's.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I had a stamp collection once. There were about a thousand stamps. I lost my job and had to start using them to mail out resumes. I am still unemployed and have run out of stamps. I mailed out 500 resumes. I guess I did not have a thousand stamps.

Erik, better diversify or you will be putting yourself out of business with those numbers!

You may be right. Total seed count planted on butia x syagrus seed this year over 60,000. And those numbers are not garage numbers. Which is why we are resorting to selling off some seed again. I guess with me spending the summer there and learning the pollinating game it got out of control. Hopefully we get these other hybrids to germinate.

Mark does contract grow other seedlings as well.

You may be right. Total seed count planted on butia x syagrus seed this year over 60,000. And those numbers are not garage numbers. Which is why we are resorting to selling off some seed again. I guess with me spending the summer there and learning the pollinating game it got out of control. Hopefully we get these other hybrids to germinate.

Mark does contract grow other seedlings as well.

This is what I've got at home in VT at the moment"

8/9/11

Plants

1 T. fortunei 'Naini Tal' sold to me as takil but discussion here suggests it's T. fortunei 'Naini Tal'.4ft

1 Rhapidophyllum hystrix 5ft

1 Cycas revolta

Seedlings

2 Adonidia merrillii) seedlings left

1 Ptychosperma salomonense

1 Coccothrinax borhidiana

1 Coccothrinax miraguama

2 Chambeyronia macrocarpa,

2 Latania loddigesii seedlings

2 Sabal ursesana

1 Chamaerops humilis cerifera

1 Dypsis sp 'Andavakaka'

4 Sabal palmetto

1 Cycas panzhihuaensis

They are all scattered around with some in & some out so I don't have up to date photos. I do plan to do a group photo sometime soon.

Susan

What I'm growing inside the conservatory during the cold winter months (most moved outside during the warm summer months):

Adonidia merrillii (Manila Palm)

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (King Palm)

Areca triandra (unknown)

Bactris gasipaes (Peach Palm)

Butia odorata (Jelly Palm)

Caryota mitis (Fishtail Palm)

Chamaedorea adscendens (unknown)

Chamaedorea arenbergiana (unknown)

Chamaedorea cataractarum (unknown)

Chamaedorea elegans (Parlor Palm)

Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti (unknown)

Chamaedorea klotzschiana (unknown)

Chamaedorea metallica (unknown)

Chamaedorea oblongata (unknown)

Chamaedorea pinnatifrons (unknown)

Chamaedorea plumosa (unknown)

Chamaedorea radicalis (unknown)

Chamaedorea seifritzii (Bamboo Palm)

Chamaedorea tepejilote (unknown)

Chamaerops humilis (unknown)

Chuniophoenix hainanensis (unknown)

Coccothrinax argentata (Florida Silver Palm)

Copernicia alba (Caranday Palm)

Cryosophila warscewiczii (Rootspine Palm)

Dypsis decaryi (Triangle Palm)

Dypsis lutescens (Golden Cane, Areca, Butterfly Palm)

Howea forsteriana (Kentia Palm)

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii (Spindle Palm)

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons (Joey Palm)

Licuala triphylla (unknown)

Licuala mattenensis ('Mapu')

Linospadix monostachya (Walkingstick Palm)

Livistona chinensis (Chinese Fan Palm)

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Miniature Coconut Palm)

Phoenix dactylifera (Date Palm)

Phoenix roebelenii (Dwarf Date Palm)

Pritchardia hillebrandii (unknown)

Pseudophoenix sargentii (Buccaneer Palm)

Ptychosperma elegans (Solitaire Palm)

Ptychosperma waitianum (unknown)

Rhapidophyllum hystrix (Needle Palm)

Rhapis excelsa (Lady Palm)

Rhapis humilis (Slender Lady Palm)

Roystonea regia (Cuban/Florida Royal Palm)

Sabal maritima (unknown)

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto)

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto 'Louisiana')

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto 'McCurtain')

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto 'Emerald Isle')

Sabal palmetto ('Lisa')

Sabal uresana (unknown)

Socratea exorrhiza (Walking Palm)

Syagrus romanzoffiana (Queen Palm)

Thrinax radiata (Thatch Palm)

Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill Palm)

Trachycarpus fortunei ('Naini Tal')

Veitchia joannis (unknown)

Wallichia disticha (Wallich's Palm)

Most pictures are somewhat dated, so palms are generally larger now. I've also added some new ones, but generally the list is up to date. Pictures can be found my Potted Palms site.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

That's impressive.

I thought I was bad.

My wife would kill me.

What I'm growing inside the conservatory during the cold winter months (most moved outside during the warm summer months):

Adonidia merrillii (Manila Palm)

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (King Palm)

Areca triandra (unknown)

Bactris gasipaes (Peach Palm)

Butia odorata (Jelly Palm)

Caryota mitis (Fishtail Palm)

Chamaedorea adscendens (unknown)

Chamaedorea arenbergiana (unknown)

Chamaedorea cataractarum (unknown)

Chamaedorea elegans (Parlor Palm)

Chamaedorea ernesti-augusti (unknown)

Chamaedorea klotzschiana (unknown)

Chamaedorea metallica (unknown)

Chamaedorea oblongata (unknown)

Chamaedorea pinnatifrons (unknown)

Chamaedorea plumosa (unknown)

Chamaedorea radicalis (unknown)

Chamaedorea seifritzii (Bamboo Palm)

Chamaedorea tepejilote (unknown)

Chamaerops humilis (unknown)

Chuniophoenix hainanensis (unknown)

Coccothrinax argentata (Florida Silver Palm)

Copernicia alba (Caranday Palm)

Cryosophila warscewiczii (Rootspine Palm)

Dypsis decaryi (Triangle Palm)

Dypsis lutescens (Golden Cane, Areca, Butterfly Palm)

Howea forsteriana (Kentia Palm)

Hyophorbe verschaffeltii (Spindle Palm)

Johannesteijsmannia altifrons (Joey Palm)

Licuala triphylla (unknown)

Licuala mattenensis ('Mapu')

Linospadix monostachya (Walkingstick Palm)

Livistona chinensis (Chinese Fan Palm)

Lytocaryum weddellianum (Miniature Coconut Palm)

Phoenix dactylifera (Date Palm)

Phoenix roebelenii (Dwarf Date Palm)

Pritchardia hillebrandii (unknown)

Pseudophoenix sargentii (Buccaneer Palm)

Ptychosperma elegans (Solitaire Palm)

Ptychosperma waitianum (unknown)

Rhapidophyllum hystrix (Needle Palm)

Rhapis excelsa (Lady Palm)

Rhapis humilis (Slender Lady Palm)

Roystonea regia (Cuban/Florida Royal Palm)

Sabal maritima (unknown)

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto)

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto 'Louisiana')

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto 'McCurtain')

Sabal minor (Dwarf Palmetto 'Emerald Isle')

Sabal palmetto ('Lisa')

Sabal uresana (unknown)

Socratea exorrhiza (Walking Palm)

Syagrus romanzoffiana (Queen Palm)

Thrinax radiata (Thatch Palm)

Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill Palm)

Trachycarpus fortunei ('Naini Tal')

Veitchia joannis (unknown)

Wallichia disticha (Wallich's Palm)

Most pictures are somewhat dated, so palms are generally larger now. I've also added some new ones, but generally the list is up to date. Pictures can be found my Potted Palms site.

That's impressive.

I thought I was bad.

My wife would kill me.

We all must be having the same wife :lol:

It become Global, man.

That's impressive.

I thought I was bad.

My wife would kill me.

It become Global, man.

Global Palming?

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

That's impressive.

I thought I was bad.

My wife would kill me.

I'm a sick man. :indifferent:

I need to add these (seedlings):

Areca vestiaria (Maroon)

Dypsis baronii

And I'm expecting:

Brasselinia pancheri (Any tips on getting these to germinate? Seeds still look good, but no action yet.)

Chamaedorea costaricana (Thanks Colin!)

Chamaedorea hooperiana (Thanks Colin!)

Chamaedorea woodsoniana (Thanks Colin!)

Tom

hardiestpalms.com

That's impressive.

I thought I was bad.

My wife would kill me.

It become Global, man.

Global Palming?

More like a Global Marriage :lol:

:greenthumb:

BTW Im not fare away from Your list either :wacko:

very interesting topic..... I've tried to grow cocos nucifera (coconut tree) indoor without sunlight, this is for interior pot plant purpose

post-6033-092701300 1313191527_thumb.jpg