IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Say hello to my little friend.

epicure3

......first you get the warmth, then you get the power.

I'm not giving in without a fight.

Imported from the sidelines at Lambeau Field, Green Bay.

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

250 000 BTUs of power baby.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

What a handsome little devil......and so active!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

(JBa3Fan @ Jan. 13 2007,21:08)

this makes my decision not to move to Cali  so much eaiser

there are so many reasons better than the weather......we'll talk....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I bought a bunch of those as an insurance policy myself.   Like most insurance policies, I hope to never use them...but suspect the time may come.

Heaters.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

John, do you have an enclosure you are putting it in? or just firing into the night air...?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Jan. 13 2007,22:11)

John, do you have an enclosure you are putting it in? or just firing into the night air...?

I have 3. One is firing down the side of the house where my mangos, spindle, seagrape and others are planted.

One is firing up onto a royal, a ptychosperma elegans, and a foxtail. The last is firng on the slope just hoping to hit a veitchia.

Patio heater heating up clusia rosea, dypsis lutescens and key lime tree.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Epi-

How did the heaters work last night/this AM?  If the winds were light, I suspect they were effective?

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 14 2007,09:02)

Epi-

How did the heaters work last night/this AM?  If the winds were light, I suspect they were effective?

It's a little too early to tell. The propane fueled heater is still cranking, the kerosene heaters flamed out about 630AM. The patio heater is still going ever so slightly. I really don't know what good it did, but I had to at least try.

Things still look good out there, but it is really too early to tell. In an area with no heat blasting I had a low of 28.8.  In an area with heater influence (not right next to it obviuosly) I had a low of 33.8.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Larry and John,

How much for one of those puppies?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray-

I bought all of mine during the summer months on Ebay.  The market for these is low then (especially used ones)....so prices are cheap.    I paid between $20 and $70 for them and they range in output from 36,000 to 150,000 Btu/hr.

Larry 

Ray,

What he is not telling you is how much the PROPANE to run those 150,000 BTU unit will cost! :;):

Plus forget those 20 gallon barbecue tanks,they might last  45 minutes on high! :D

Yes I have some too,but not as many! My disease is not terminal ,YET! :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(Ray @ Tampa,Jan. 15 2007,15:55)

Larry and John,

How much for one of those puppies?

Ray,

You don't want to know and I don't want to tell you. When it shows up on the AMEX bill at the end of month, I may have to come live with you or my wife might end up in jail on homicide charges.

Seriously, they were bucks. The small one was $199 (150000 btu). The medium one was $299 (200 btu) and the large on was $449 (275000 but).

I thought long and hard about it before I pulled the trigger. I'm sure the folks at The Home Depot could have arrested me for loitering as I stood in front of these things for an eternity. My rationale was that I could save the money but potentially lose 20X that in plants and palms. The trees and plants they were protecting were of significant size. In addition, just for my own mental health, I thought they were a good idea.

I used kerosene instead of propane on 2 out of the 3. Yes, add anouther $250 in kerosene to the bill. Those heaters suck it up like it was Schwarzenegger's Humvee. Even sleeping in the house it sounded like I had put my bed on runway 25R at LAX.

Did they work? I will say that they did their job and I was not disappointed. It didn't save all the palms and tropicals from damage, but it could have been a lot worse than what it was. I don't think (knock on wood) that anything will croak. At this point, That's all I care about.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

(gsn @ Jan. 15 2007,17:42)

What he is not telling you is how much the PROPANE to run those 150,000 BTU unit will cost! :;):

Roughly $5/hr  :D

Doesnt sound like much.....but add it up for the whole night (if the freeze is bad enough), and then multiply it out for all the other heaters....and its easily a $200 night :P

As such, these things are for doomsday use only.

But, my yard has enough "value" in it now ($ and otherwise) that I would not hesitate to run these heaters if I thought they might be of help.

Larry 

(gsn @ Jan. 15 2007,17:42)

Plus forget those 20 gallon barbecue tanks,they might last  45 minutes on high! :D

If its cold enough....they wont last 15 minutes....they will freeze up :D

As such, I have ensured I have hoses long enough so that the tanks can be placed about 6-8 ft downwind of the heater discharge so that the bottles stay warm.  trying to draw 150,000 Btu/hr out of a standard BBQ tank isnt going to happen at 20-25F ambient temp.  

I also plant to be able manifold 2 or 3 tanks together as well to help with icing up and run time.

The ideal situation is probably using a very large (underground) tank, or converting the heaters over to natural gas (as I have gas at my house) but Im not that ill with the disease yet :D

Larry 

(gsn @ Jan. 15 2007,23:04)

Larry,

They do have 100 gallon propane tanks! :;):

Where the heck am I going to be able to store those things!?!??

I have a dozen 20 pound tanks......so I can have about 240 lb on site at a moments notice as the Ace Hardware 2 minutes away can fill them at 15 bucks a pop.......

And...I can also easily carry these 20 lb'er around the yard, and fit them in my car  :D

Larry 

I guess in a doomsday freeze, this is an option.  Thanks for the info guys.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Larry,

When  EPICURE3 recovers from the onslaught of  the artic weather out there.

I would like to talk to him and find out if he felt they REALLY made a difference ,where he used them! Whether there were noticeable postive effects on palms where the heaters were, and where he they weren't?

Looks like unfortunately he got hammered again last night! :(

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Jan. 16 2007,12:59)

Larry,

When  EPICURE3 recovers from the onslaught of  the artic weather out there.

I would like to talk to him and find out if he felt they REALLY made a difference ,where he used them! Whether there were noticeable postive effects on palms where the heaters were, and where he they weren't?

Looks like unfortunately he got hammered again last night! :(

Before I put them away................in August...........I will take some pics of where I had them. I didn't put thermometers in their sphere of influence as I only have 2 and thought that would be a waste of use.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter