IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Countdown to disaster part 2

STEVE IN SO CAL

Mats-

Absolutely!  Ive had a station reporting to weatherunderground since last May and this is a great site.

The weatherunderground feature you metioned with Google maps is excellent.  I use it all the time as it sums things up with once glance and more detailed info is easily obtained for each station by clicking on it.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

0600...31 by the pool, 22 front yard, 17 in my field. I'm sure I lost at least $10,000 worth of plant material last night. At least I should get a FEMA house trailer out of this....

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

The problem I have with weatherunderground is that a LOT of the stations are not accurate.   For example, most of the weatherunderground readings in Altadena are 2-4C (4-8F) warmer than me for morning lows and 2-4C (4-8F) cooler than me for afternoon highs.  I have a fair amount of confidence in my stephenson screen set up, so the only explanation for those other readings is that the sensor is located a) under an overhanging roof on the north side of the recorder's house or B) under dense overhead canopy.  For example, I'm edging slowly towards -3C (27F) while a weatherunderground sensor up the street is still above 1C (34F)??

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Steve,

I'm about the same as you

6:30

19.6 at the house

17 down the hill

No Frost

not a breath of wind

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Jack-

You do bring up a valid point.  Since these are, by and large, amateur stations, one doesnt know exactly how the sensors were installed and where.  Its possible some are sitting at high elevations above the roof (to make installation of the entire sensor package easier), or they could be under roof overhangs, etc as you suggested.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

0600...31 by the pool, 22 front yard, 17 in my field. I'm sure I lost at least $10,000 worth of plant material last night. At least I should get a FEMA house trailer out of this

Steve,

That's horrible.. I would never have imagined that kind of cold in SoCal.... I really feel your pain - I'd be freaking out...  We're due for some of those temps in the next couple days.. They're saying 19f on Wednesday night

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Steve,

Can only hope it's not as bad as it looks.

I'm still laying on the bottom 0700 at an ALL TIME LOW of 26F  Damn breeze let me down. We had wind until at least 2200 and 42F.  Then nosedive....

Hoping for the best.

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

Pretty sacary when Wunderground shows both Del Mar and Mission Beach at 24

Wonder how Kevin is doing in Lake Elsinore?

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Wow, I guess i had no clue about the cold you guys get out in cali.   This thread is certainly teaching me alot.  

Good luck with the thaw out guys.  

I suppose the good news, if there is any, is that last night should have been the worst of it if the forecasts are correct.

Over here, were currently bracing for the nastiness yall just had.  inland areas probably wont come above freezing for 2 days!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Not as bad as I had feared it might get, but it was the coldest night I've had here (over 5 years) by 3 degrees F.  Bottomed out at 33F.  At least now I know my thermometers are not reading artificially high as there was liquid water all around so it definitely did not hit 32.

Phil I'm amazed you stayed that warm.  Friday night my low was basically the same as yours.   Did you have some wind?  I had none.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

(Matt in SD @ Jan. 14 2007,10:48)

Not as bad as I had feared it might get, but it was the coldest night I've had here (over 5 years) by 3 degrees F.  Bottomed out at 33F.  At least now I know my thermometers are not reading artificially high as there was liquid water all around so it definitely did not hit 32.

Phil I'm amazed you stayed that warm.  Friday night my low was basically the same as yours.   Did you have some wind?  I had none.

Matt

I hit 28.8, 5.2 degrees colder than my previous all-time low of 34.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Out front got down to 30 @ 5:50, some light frost on grass.  Backyard is a differnet story, pipes frozen solid, water in fountain solid, ice on plants.  Hopefully the sheet on the cycads and palms did the trick.

This is a bad freeze though I don't think it is worse than what occurred in 1998 [in NorCal] & certainly less cold than the "grand daddy" of all freezes in 1990.  Hate to be even referring to those past dreadful arctic outbreaks but "baby it is cold outside."

Recorded 37F for lowest minimum in many years [will look thru past data to identify exact date of last 37F minimum.

It appears the "official" sites [uSC/Lindbergh Field] of Los Angeles/San Diego/San Francisco stayed above freezing but nearby areas didn't fare so well.  Many 20's recorded in the valleys  :o

Tonight the wind will kick in so freezing temps will be unlikely except in sheltered areas.

Anyone know who long it takes for banana to show cold damage?  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

32F at midnight

26F at 6am

28F at 8am

I only had 30 palms yesterday. I've probably lost half of that. The weather for tomorrow and beyond isn't exactly a recovery.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Low here was 32.2F.  It was 37F at 10:45 pm, so it was very cold all night.

An inch of water in the birdbath frozen solid.

Ice in a few bromeliad cups, but most stayed unfrozen.  Since they are all over the garden, it gave me a good measure of where the cold spots are.  The only obvious damage is some discoloration on the leaves of the heliconia next to the frozen birdbath.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

(Kim @ Jan. 14 2007,11:28)

Ice in a few bromeliad cups, but most stayed unfrozen.  Since they are all over the garden, it gave me a good measure of where the cold spots are.  The only obvious damage is some discoloration on the leaves of the heliconia next to the frozen birdbath.

Not so fast, Kim...sometimes it can take weeks to show itself.

It's ugly down there...200 Rav Glauca that tlook like frozen lettuce. Sabal Mauritioformis, too. Parajubaeas have that ugly wierd green color. Thank God for the Yucca Rostrata in my portfolio.

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Jan. 14 2007,11:47)

(Kim @ Jan. 14 2007,11:28)

Not so fast, Kim...sometimes it can take weeks to show itself.

Yup.  That's what I mean by "obvious".  I saw your photos.  Heartbreaking, my sincere condolences.  Hope you get that FEMA trailer, you could put your palms in it next winter. :(

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Well,  It got as cold as it ever has here at my home since I have been here (94) I hit roughly 27F in the cold spot of the yard about 3:00 AM.  Was out taking sheets off this morning, etc and a 1 gal Cycas Multifrondis came up with the sheet (out of the pot)  Hope it does ok. Moved it to the green house. which got to 37F with the "halogen light heater".  Sounds tropical!  my shadecloth area with a bigger light, touched 32.2F.

I went to hose down the palms in the back corner, the coldest part.........water frozen in the hose...with the water off! (resididual I'm sure).  The interesting part is by the greenhouse the hose I have near there, I leave the water on all the time, just the wand handle shuts it off. It worked fine.  Maybe leakage and slightly warmer was just enough.

And to really top of the aggravation, as I was walking up to the house from down back, I saw fresh dirt and a friekin' gopher popped his head up!  If I had dynamite he'd be dead....I hope.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 14 2007,06:06)

(K_Palm @ Jan. 14 2007,02:38)

It is 45 degrees here in Burbank, just before Midnight...why are Orange County and San Diego cooler?

I am learning alot about California's various climates as part of this freeze.  I had no idea there could be such huge changes over short areas with all these costal slopes, canyons, etc).  Obviously, it would have better for me to have remained ignorant  :(

The official Burbank station is reporting 28F a little before 6AM.

Yes Larry, I'm a little sceptical of anyone that stayed in the 40's overnight in So Cal. I suspect sensors or placement.

(No judgement on you K_Palm, just your equipment! :D )

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(happ @ Jan. 13 2007,19:23)

Steve

Sorry to write that I agree with you.  This evening into tomorrow morning will be the worst unless winds kick in.  

Read & weep the NWS-LA discussion :

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd....rsion=0

NWS forecast temps :

SAN FRANCISCO 41F/5C

LOS ANGELES : 35F/1.6C  ( record low is 38F/3.3C)

SAN DIEGO : 38F/3.3C

THE SAN DIEGO LINDBERGH FIELD CLIMATE NORMALS FOR TODAY [01-13-07]

>>>>>>>>>>>>NORMAL> RECORD                    

MAXIMUM>>>>(F)   66        83      

MINIMUM>>>  (F)   50        31                          

Don't think San Diego will break its record but inland just a ways could be bad news  :o

San Francisco is amazing.

Jan 12- 51/39

Jan 13-48/39

I think those were the readings when I went to the Giants game in July!   :P

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

(BigWaveDave @ Jan. 14 2007,08:33)

27.5F low in Lake Forest out in the open.

Hey Dave,

My lowest temp gauge read 25.8 F at approx 0700, others were 29 and 30 under some protection.  You're likely a few feet higher.  Early damage, Foxy Lady looks bad, Dypsis lanceolata too.

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

24º in shadehouse last night, 30.5º in jungle above house.  I walked around at 10:00 this morning, didn't see any obvious damage, but I know these things take time to show up.

Gary

Steve and Bruce...

sorrry to hear about the extreme lows at your places....It held here at about 30F in the open backyard area due to the fact that a VERY slight breeze kicked in about 2AM...don't have a clue as to how cold it got under the shadecloth, but the large plumeria up near the house under the patio cover still has a few good looking blooms on it, so that is a good sign.

The only cycad that looks like it got hit at all was the C. hildae that i forgot to bring in the house...the Z. roezlii's took some cold damage even at 42F inside the heated coldframe last month, so they definitely were some of the first plants i brought inside the house ( i bought my first one from Bruce and Suzi two years ago!). All the other cycads seem fine...but time will tell that tale.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon dragging all the 7 gal kentias down the hill into my Dad's unheated coldframe, and putting the 15 gal C. gigas and all the other 5 gal palms underneath the cover of the already browning allspice trees...they got hit two nights ago, and I'm hoping they will not end up on the "pile"...I spent a good part of the last summer helping my Dad bump them up to 20 gal tubs and staking them.

Hopefully we will have some wind tonite and it won't get nearly as cold as last night.

29.8 degrees in the Penasquitos area of San Diego in my yard just after sunrise.    This is under the eave of my house next to the patio window.  I don't even want to think about the temperature in the exposed areas.

Some cannas got fried, angel wing begonia leaves fried, but the palms seem OK.   Plumeria stalks didn't turn to mush.

How long does it take for the damage to show up in palms?

-Bob-

Woodland Hills, CA

Oh, I forgot that the forecast low according to noaa.gov for Lancaster, California last night was 9°F.    This is in the northern part of Los Angeles County in the high desert.

-Bob-

Woodland Hills, CA

Bottomed out at 29 degrees in open yard and 31.8 in protected areas last night which isn't much better.  Took the most tender things in the garage last night.  My ensetes look like they took a toll with the leaves looking a little limp. Don't see much damage on anything esle yet except for some burning on the highest leaves of my C gigas which I didn't expect, and my C hookeri which leaves look terrible but some of the damage on it is the strong dry winds we've had over the last two weeks.  I hope nothing paid the ultimate price, only time will tell, but it will be heartbreaking if anything big bites the dust. :( .  This is turning out to be the worst that I can remember in a long while.  Just sitting here contemplating what my losses might be.

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

I got colder below the house last night than I did in the 1990 freeze.  In 1990 it got down to 26º, last night was 24º.  I went down and looked at my 12' C. gigas closely.  It appears to have no damage.  However, many of the 15 gallon Wodyetias, Caryota gigas and some Dypsis baronii in the lowest part of my growing area have damage.  Also a few 15 gallon Zamia furfuracea have damage.  Interestingly not all of a given species are damaged.  Some right next to burned ones show no damage at all.  I'm guessing the duration at 24º was short as the solenoid valves all seem OK, although a garden hose crinkled, full of ice.

I don't see much damage in the shade house except where last week's winds tore it open.  The Dypsis lutescens exposed to the sky have damage, others not under the torn part show no damage.

Gary

Dave,

You have my sympathies as I'm sure I have yours.  I have never as much had anything suffer cold damage before now, I feel reely helpless now and its really frustrating.

Frisbee,

that looks terrible, this whole thing is terrible.  Are you sure you bottomed out at 19,I would think that has to be some kind of record.  Those foxtails looked so nice too, my condolences to you.  So far my kings and foxtails look ok but time will tell.

Steve,

Like wise I hope everything works out well for you, your cold was much worse than mine which surprises me because I would have never guessed seeing your in San Diego.

All of this just gives me more incentive to make the move to the big island

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

(Greg in Lake Forest, CA @ Jan. 14 2007,13:43)

(BigWaveDave @ Jan. 14 2007,08:33)

27.5F low in Lake Forest out in the open.

Hey Dave,

My lowest temp gauge read 25.8 F at approx 0700, others were 29 and 30 under some protection.  You're likely a few feet higher.  Early damage, Foxy Lady looks bad, Dypsis lanceolata too.

My temp gauge is not exactly in the open.  It is under my shade cover at about 24" (sitting just above the palm benches.  My other guages that were in around the house we all about 5F warmer.  My royals got owned along with my biggest king among others, and I think that my newest chambeyronia that I got may be on its way out.  I'm going to go take some pictures, maybe I'll start a Damage Report thread.

David

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a