IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Countdown to disaster part 2

STEVE IN SO CAL

Well, time for another fitfull night. NWS has offered up this little tidbit to make us all feel better:

MINIMUM TEMPERATURES TONIGHT ARE EXPECTED TO FALL TO THE LOW TO

MID 20S WITH A FEW UPPER TEENS POSSIBLE AT THE COLDER LOCATIONS.

TEMPERATURES AT THE COLDER LOCATIONS COULD FALL BELOW 32 DEGREES

SOON AFTER SUNSET WITH THE LOWEST TEMPERATURES OCCURRING AROUND

SUNRISE. DURATIONS OF TEMPERATURES OF 32 DEGREES OR LOWER COULD BE

AS MUCH AS 12 TO 13 HOURS.

Adding to all this BS, my fireplace insert(which I heat my house with) is belching smoke into the house everytime I open the door. Must be some kind of inversion going on...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Steve

Sorry to write that I agree with you.  This evening into tomorrow morning will be the worst unless winds kick in.  

Read & weep the NWS-LA discussion :

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/fwd....rsion=0

NWS forecast temps :

SAN FRANCISCO 41F/5C

LOS ANGELES : 35F/1.6C  ( record low is 38F/3.3C)

SAN DIEGO : 38F/3.3C

THE SAN DIEGO LINDBERGH FIELD CLIMATE NORMALS FOR TODAY [01-13-07]

>>>>>>>>>>>>NORMAL> RECORD                    

MAXIMUM>>>>(F)   66        83      

MINIMUM>>>  (F)   50        31                          

Don't think San Diego will break its record but inland just a ways could be bad news  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

1715...42 degrees, light wind. Yesterday was 35 degrees at this time, but calm.

6:10, 38.8F, clear skies, no wind, ahhhhh crappppp.  Pohonkelapa has informed me that there's nothing to worry about.  I don't feel better. :(

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

45.3 degrees right now here. Slight breeze through the heliconia leaves outside. I've dropped 5 degrees in the last hour. Not a good sign.

:angry:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

38f in riverside, 6:30pm.   Still pretty windy. High stress level.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

40 degrees now at my house and it's only 710pm. :(

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

7:20 - down to 34... in Riverside. That's 4 degrees in the last hour.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

39F and 30% RH in back, and 42F and 29% in front at 7:30 PM in coastal Oceanside.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

46F @ 7:50PM

Already colder than it was last night at this hour.  Light wind.  

Expect to lose something, probably bethelnut  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Jan. 13 2007,22:46)

Expect to lose something, probably bethelnut  :(

I suspect it will make it fine Happ.  Mine saw middle 30's last winter and while it spotted up and didnt exactly look its best, other than that it got through fine.  And, its probably doubled in size since then as well.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

2030 - 2C (36F) in Altadena.  This is quite a bit colder than at the same time last night when I bottomed out at -1C (30F).

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

8:30 and 38 in back and 37 in front.I actually covered everything small tonite and hoping for the best but not looking good right now.

Shon

San Marcos CA

2030...33 degrees light wind

37F in back, 39F in front, 9 PM  slight breeze.....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here we go again with the hourly thermometer data; waiting & watching as the cold air does its damage  :(  Sunrise can't come fast enough.

9:00PM Pacific

SAN FRANCISCO : 44F/6.6C

SAN JOSE :38F/3.3C

LOS ANGELES : 44F/6.6C

BURBANK : 40F/5C

SANTA ANA : 46F/7.7C

SAN DIEGO : 46F/7.7C

PHOENIX : 38F/3.3C

My reading : 44F/6.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

9:20 pm...  the thermometer on the pool equip, protected, says 38. The NWS surface obs. for March Air Force Field, 1 mile away, says 36, the max/min on the south facing fence unprotected says 32.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

If it makes anybody feel better, I'm at 27.3 @ 9PM, a degree plus LOWER than last night an hour LATER, when too bad for me the wind DIDN'T come up, and my low was a stunning 14.7 -- the worst since 1990, and the first time I've "left" 9a since 1998.

All of those 9b palms that have grown so trouble free for nine years are mostly toast -- parajubaeas, d. decipiens, you know.  I never thought I'd be reduced to only chamaerops, b. armata and butias...maybe the jubaeas, hybrids, and other braheas will make it.  Most everything is covered, but it will take magic to save much if it drops to an all-time-low of 12 by dawn.  

Oh, well. It's amazing how apprehension turns to acceptance.   First it made me feel  that I had just the tiniest clue of the panic you who've suffered hurricanes must feel. Finally, I realized that damage to a hobby is pretty minor compared to losing an citrus crop, or a home, or a loved one.  Though Hawaii does sound better all the time!

I'll let you all know when a week or so gives me the semi-final results on about 40 species -- could be interesting for Texans and North Floridians who have the same sword of Arctic eventuality hanging over them.

And for all my palmophile bros and sisses, I pray that the wind picks up for you!

Jon T

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

2210...27 degrees, winds lessening

22:30, winds constant 5-10 MPH, gusts 12-15 MPH, 44.2 degrees. Hang on to your butts, folks!

D_O

in Beautiful Mission Viejo

Grass is just WRONG, when you live in a desert!

2250...26 degrees up at the house... took a walk down to the field...already 21 degrees, 1/8 inch of ice in the wheelbarrow already. Looks like NWS was right, 12 hrs of below freezing temps.

32.9 degrees F at my house right now. Just got back from La Jolla where it was 45 degrees.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

It is 45 degrees here in Burbank, just before Midnight...why are Orange County and San Diego cooler?

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

11:40 pm and 34 degrees in open area of yard and 35 degrees in sheltered areas.  I couldn't take it anymore and even though I said I would not bring anything inside, I broke down and brought a few in.  This is driving me nuts, is this ever going to end?  This is the worst I remember in years, or maybe I just never paid attention untill I got infected with the disease.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

midnite and it's 29F in the coldest part of the open backyard...this is gonna be bad.

I don't even wanna know the temp under the shadecloth.

12:10 am and its 30 degrees out in the unprotected area.. the wind has pretty much stopped. It droppped a couple degrees in the last hour. I'm going to go throw some sheets over a few things and turn the pool heater back on. Then I'm going to bed.

Dave out- reporting from the arctic circle

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

12:20 AM and now is 33.3 degrees.  Last night it got down to 32.9, I'm sure it will be lower tonight unless a miracle of warm air arrives soon.  :(

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

1:05 am in Diamond Bar, CA

The thermometer in the backyard says 21F....there goes my

foxtails, Hyophobe Indica, A. Tukeri...so much for global warming.

Diamond Bar, CA

Im not sure what could have caused it but at about 1230 I noticed the leaves on a fan palm moving slightly...is it possible that there was the slightest, most imperceptible bit of wind?!

Kept up the vigil tonight, my "pooch pots" have been burning the midnight oil.  Added some fans to the mix of precautions.  Faced them to the North, and moved air slowly back from my shaded area.

For some reason my high/low thermometer is showing low readings at 28.6F outside of my greenhouse.  Front yard exposed areas are 25.6F right now.  Im still expecting lower temps.

post-376-1168778238_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

No FD calls made on me yet.   :P

post-376-1168778346_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

0500..21 degrees front yard, no cover...30 degrees backyard by pool, no cover but some radient heat. It must be around 15 degrees in the palm field, as it's usually 5/6 deg colder than front yard. Will give full instrument readings @ 0600 (too cold now...don't want to lose any digits)

0515....wind has started, too little too late?

Looks like my low may have been around 26 in the  unprotected areas...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

0600 - Just below -2C (28F).  Almost the same temp it was here in 1990 when it was 27F.  It was still just above 0C (32F) when I went to bed last night, but this will probably end up being 8-9 hours below freezing.

By the way, Friday night turned all my bananas completely black.  My cannas only had about 50% of the foliage turn black, but I think last night finished them off.  I'm even starting to worry about the hardy stuff like bangalows, triangles, foxtails, etc...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(K_Palm @ Jan. 14 2007,02:38)

It is 45 degrees here in Burbank, just before Midnight...why are Orange County and San Diego cooler?

I am learning alot about California's various climates as part of this freeze.  I had no idea there could be such huge changes over short areas with all these costal slopes, canyons, etc).  Obviously, it would have better for me to have remained ignorant  :(

The official Burbank station is reporting 28F a little before 6AM.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Just checked inside my cold frame.  It's 0C (32F), and about half of the condensation on inside walls is ice.  Maybe I should have put a heater in there....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles