IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Crazy LA Weather-2

NM_PALM_BOY

Howdy ya'all,

Ok...what the %#$@ is going on here in So. Cal! A few days ago we were discussing record heat...NOW record cold! 35 F here in Westwood (W. LA) this morning. Not bad compared to some of you folks inland (although my basil growing on the patio looks a bit squirrelly). What were some of your lows this morning?

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

Oceanside - 34f

Thanks to the clouds. It was forecast to hit 29f.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Ditto on the coast of O'side. The scary part was that it was 37F at 10:00PM!!!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

39F just before sunrise.  :o

We essentially dodged the bullet this morning w/ many coastal areas remaining just above 40F/4.4C and/or above freezing, even well inland in places due to the wind overnight. San Francisco/Los Angeles/San Diego & surrounding areas did not experience frost but wind-sheltered areas were hit hard.

According to the LA Times, citrus/avocado growers have already taken big losses but used wind machines & irrigation in order to save the trees if not the crop.

Recorded a minimum of 39F even w/ wind but expect some damage due to extremely low humidity.

Tonight may be the worse of this outbreak that some are comparing to 1990. But even if it is calm tonight the likelihood of frost/freeze is slightly less than this morning since the overall air mass continues to modify as the worse of the arctic cold moves into Arizona & eastward.

Today will be much like yesterday with most areas barely reaching 60F/14.4C. Sunday afternoon into next week should warm to near seasonal norms though it will stay chilly at night [30's/40's].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Hey So. Cal'ers!

Ya know....I work in LA in the winter so I can GET OUT of the cold! The temps here lately feel like a normal day in ABQ! 52 F and raining here!

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool: