IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Best mango variety for South Florida

Zeeth

Which mango variety is your favorite in terms of taste? I've only had whichever types that they sell in the store, but I went to the Fairchild mango festival this past saturday and tried a type called provost. I liked it as it was pretty sweet but had no fiber. I've heard good things about glenn, but I haven't tried it yet. I thought about buying a tree, but decided to wait until I had somewhere to plant it to spend the $35.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Keith, I went to FTG Mango Mania ~10 years ago & went through the tasting line. The Glenn really stood out, so I bought 2 Glenn trees, along with Keitt, Nam Doc Mai, Baileys Marvel, & valencia pride. Glenn is my favorite, & it has been a banner year for mangos. Glenn has the texture of firm butter & a mild sweetness. I have been gorging myself w/ mango smoothies (rum), mango salsa, chunks of fruit. I cut it up & freeze for future use. Pine Island nursery, in south Miami has the best selection for fruit trees. I highly recommend Glenn, Nam Doc Mai is a close second. Just remember, when the fruit starts to ripen, every rodent within a mile knows it. Prepare for the war.

Keith, I went to FTG Mango Mania ~10 years ago & went through the tasting line. The Glenn really stood out, so I bought 2 Glenn trees, along with Keitt, Nam Doc Mai, Baileys Marvel, & valencia pride. Glenn is my favorite, & it has been a banner year for mangos. Glenn has the texture of firm butter & a mild sweetness. I have been gorging myself w/ mango smoothies (rum), mango salsa, chunks of fruit. I cut it up & freeze for future use. Pine Island nursery, in south Miami has the best selection for fruit trees. I highly recommend Glenn, Nam Doc Mai is a close second. Just remember, when the fruit starts to ripen, every rodent within a mile knows it. Prepare for the war.

Prepare for the war is RIGHT!!! :rage: I found this year that if I went out in the morning,lunch time because I get to come home, and in the evening,and collect them when they fall, or pick them just before they fall, will allow you to stay ahead of the critters most of the time. You still do loose a few though. My favorite, Glenn, all the way. Great texture, absolutely no fibers and pretty sweet. We also have a few bags stored in the freezer too. GLENN!!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. In my research, I found this website

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/glenn-mango.shtml

Which ranks Glenn very well in all categories, one of the best in fact, so i had it in mind as the variety to get. You guys only confirmed what I was thinking.

Keith 

Thanks for the recommendations guys. In my research, I found this website

http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/glenn-mango.shtml

Which ranks Glenn very well in all categories, one of the best in fact, so i had it in mind as the variety to get. You guys only confirmed what I was thinking.

Zeeth,

Was not able to make it to the mango festival this year, but I usually make it out there. Keep in mind that the festival usually focuses on mango varieties from other places ( like this year it was mangoes of Hawaii ), so some of the varieties one tastes at the festival are not ones you can necessarily find in south Florida.

Having said this, the web site that Pine Island Nursery has is very good in that they give you quite a lot of info on most mango varieties that not only they sell but that are readily available for our area. They have the same helpful web page for avocados and sapote and lychees I think. Check it out. Another nursery that I like very much but that is a bit far for me is Excalibur. They are in Palm Beach. You can find pretty much any variety ( and some of the rarest ) and they have big trees !

As far as my favorite is concerned............there is a variety whose trees don't get huge at all and don't produce that many fruit. But boy are the mangoes delicious: Carrie

For a late season variety, Kents are probably the best.

Manny

• Upvote 1

We planted a 'Chokanon' ('Choc-anon') back in spring. This mango is supposed to have great flavor and scent with little fiber. But what makes it stands out is that it bears 2 crops of fruit. Often it has fruit in winter.

Our tree had flowered in early spring but set no fruit. It is now flowering again.

Another good source is Hopkin's Tropicals down near Immokalee.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Pine island nursery provides most of the mangos for Fairchild. Pine island rocks. Man doc mai is my favorite. Bailey's marvel is rumored to be most cold hardy when mature

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

I attended the Mango Festival as well and enjoyed very much a mango labeled Osteen.

The Fairchild Market in Homestead, not far from the Fruit and Spice Park, sells some cultivars grown at FTBG. The Cac mango was the best I've ever had.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I attended the Mango Festival as well and enjoyed very much a mango labeled Osteen.

The Fairchild Market in Homestead, not far from the Fruit and Spice Park, sells some cultivars grown at FTBG. The Cac mango was the best I've ever had.

Ever been to the Pine Island (Bokeelia) Mango Festival? I think its the end of this month and I was thinking of going.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I think it's called Mango Mania and yes went there about 7 years ago. It's a great time for sure if Mangoes are involved.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I am pretty sure it is this weekend, wish I weren't so busy with school or I would be there. Larry, got your PM, sorry I didn't notice it until just now!

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I am torn between Valencia Pride and Julie. The Julie is wonderful, almost has a coconut flavor and the trees stay relatively small. The Valencia Pride is large and has little fiber. But I also like the Glenn. So many mangos! And so yummy. I look forward to mango season each year.

If you have the room, plant 2 - 1 with elary fruit and 1 with late so you have fruit over a longer period of time.

This year, I've made preserves, frozen chunks for use later, mango bread, mango upside down cake, mango chutney, mango sorbet, and mango daiquiris. I love mangos!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

The most discussed and most recommended mango variety from GardenWeb's Tropical Fruit forum is Maha Chanook, a Thai variety that is new here in the U.S. It is available from PlantOGram, but quite expensive as can be expected.($100 for a 3g plant)

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Ever been to the Pine Island (Bokeelia) Mango Festival? I think its the end of this month and I was thinking of going.

July 30 & 31 at the German-American Social Club, Pine Island Rd., Cape Coral

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Wow! Lots more suggestions. I may have to order a variety of different fruits and taste them and see which I like best!

Keith 

Mangoes are flowering like mad here... It will be a great season for mangoes :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 1 year later...

Mango Maha Chinook is the best in my opinion. Great taste, beautiful color and shape, good looking tree.

• Upvote 1

post-1729-0-85604900-1368975547_thumb.jp

Love Mango season. Getting ready to cut these babies up :wub:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B