IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"coconut queen"

mike-coral gables

I've seen these in person, maybe after 2 six packs of beer those things might begin to ressemble a kentia.

Do they resemble the pictures posted on that link from the website?

Yes. Lots of variability in this cross. The ones at Legoland actually look better. None of them look like kentias to me.

Jim Denz has one, his spots every Winter. I got lucky with mine, no spotting and looks promising form wise.

I've seen these in person, maybe after 2 six packs of beer those things might begin to ressemble a kentia.

Do they resemble the pictures posted on that link from the website?

Yes. Lots of variability in this cross. The ones at Legoland actually look better. None of them look like kentias to me.

Jim Denz has one, his spots every Winter. I got lucky with mine, no spotting and looks promising form wise.

Axel, Mine spotted in 2007 and hasn't spotted much at all since. It's such a slow grower for me, however, that those spotted fronds you saw last summer are actually fronds that are six years old. Mine is about ten feet tall and has been in the ground since 2006 from a ten gallon container that I bought at the Palm Patch in Los Altos Hills.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

You can also buy these Quentias........er, ahem, Coconut Queens by mail order from www.seabreezenurseries.com in Florida, among other hybrids available. However, the Seabreeze site seems to indicate that they are cold-hardy down to 25 degrees Fahrenheit. The salespitchy site which Keith cut and pasted implies that that they suffered no damage at all at 24 degrees Fahrenheit. I wonder how cold-hardy they really are. There doesn't appear to be a consensus on this.

Jungle Jack, are you out there?

• Like 1

You can also buy these Quentias........er, ahem, Coconut Queens by mail order from www.seabreezenurseries.com in Florida, among other hybrids available. However, the Seabreeze site seems to indicate that they are cold-hardy down to 25 degrees Fahrenheit. The salespitchy site which Keith cut and pasted implies that that they suffered no damage at all at 24 degrees Fahrenheit. I wonder how cold-hardy they really are. There doesn't appear to be a consensus on this.

You can consult the freeze hardiness thread for this palm: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3160-syagrus-schizophylla-x-romanzoffiana/. There you will see one 21F kill report and several reports with no damage in temps 27F and above. I suspect this palm could probably take 24F but not much lower, I'd give it a 9b rating with a guaranteed kill temp of 22F, probably on par in hardiness with a bismarckia.

Axel's right. Mine spotted up in the '07 freeze when in went down to 26.5F here one night. It looks robust now but it is actually a pretty slow grower.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Axel's right. Mine spotted up in the '07 freeze when in went down to 26.5F here one night. It looks robust now but it is actually a pretty slow grower.

Yours is probably not getting enough water, that's all. The trick with all syagrus is water, water and more water. They're drought tolerant in that they go dormant when there's not enough water but unlike a truly drought tolerant palm, their roots aren't good ground water seekers. I grow both parents, queen and shizophylla, neither do anything without water.

You can consult the freeze hardiness thread for this palm: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/3160-syagrus-schizophylla-x-romanzoffiana/. There you will see one 21F kill report and several reports with no damage in temps 27F and above. I suspect this palm could probably take 24F but not much lower, I'd give it a 9b rating with a guaranteed kill temp of 22F, probably on par in hardiness with a bismarckia.

In my experience Bismarkia was much hardier than this hybrid. Edited by krishnaraoji88

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

My be worth a try in 9a, in the right microclimate. I have a spot to try one, for sure, and I just may.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My be worth a try in 9a, in the right microclimate. I have a spot to try one, for sure, and I just may.

Keith, save yourself the headache, it's not a 9a palm, but maybe you are a glutton for punishment.

A nice syagrus for you to try where you are is s. picrophylla and s. kellyana, both are cold hardy like a queen and both make large, edible fruit.

I'd be interested to experiment with one of these. It looks like they are not yet available from Seabreeze. Anyone know where to get one mail order or local to Norcal?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Actually, by sheer coincidence I was emailing with Seabreeze this week about the Coconut Queen (seabreezenurseries@gmail.com) and was advised that they are currently low on stock, but not totally out of stock. I was told they they could sell either a one-leaf Coconut Queen seedling or else a 3-gallon size Syagrus xMontgomeryana 'Super Nova' which he described as "super rare; pollen parent was a Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Super Nova' which is a fast, gigantic cultivar."

I know that Seabreeze does mail orders because that is how I obtained my beccariophoenix alfredii from them.

Good luck!

Axel, you just suggested syagrus picrophylla and syagrus kellyana as a cold-hardy alternative. Are they really as fast-growing and cold-hardy as the usual syagrus romanzoffiana? (Does anyone know?) There are regular queen palms all over town here. They seem to do well in our odd climate.

Thanks.

Also, I am trying to find photos of Syagrus Kellyana and Syagrus Picrophylla online. Based on the few pictures that I was able to find, it appears that one has a heavily-ringed trunk (stunning!), but perhaps not the other. Not to diverge too much from the original thread topic, but if anyone has info about these two palms -- including availability -- I would be eager to know.

Many thanks.

Actually, by sheer coincidence I was emailing with Seabreeze this week about the Coconut Queen (seabreezenurseries@gmail.com) and was advised that they are currently low on stock, but not totally out of stock. I was told they they could sell either a one-leaf Coconut Queen seedling or else a 3-gallon size Syagrus xMontgomeryana 'Super Nova' which he described as "super rare; pollen parent was a Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Super Nova' which is a fast, gigantic cultivar."

I know that Seabreeze does mail orders because that is how I obtained my beccariophoenix alfredii from them.

Good luck!

I received a TriBear and a darth vader billbergia from seabreeze and they are still performing well. Great guys. While doing the cross of the coconut queen we also did the Butia Odorata x syagrus schizophylla that we are still awaiting germination.

Yours is probably not getting enough water, that's all. The trick with all syagrus is water, water and more water. They're drought tolerant in that they go dormant when there's not enough water but unlike a truly drought tolerant palm, their roots aren't good ground water seekers. I grow both parents, queen and shizophylla, neither do anything without water.

Axel, I wish that were the reason but this palm gets three thorough waterings per week during the warm months. The soil is never dry. Heck, I give it more water than my royal. Also, it gets fed the way my queens get fed. If it were a queen, it would be double its current size. I love it either way. Not every palm has to be fast.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Axel, I wish that were the reason but this palm gets three thorough waterings per week during the warm months. The soil is never dry. Heck, I give it more water than my royal. Also, it gets fed the way my queens get fed. If it were a queen, it would be double its current size. I love it either way. Not every palm has to be fast.

"If it were a queen, it would be double its current size. " that is not incosistent with what the hyrbirzer report on the website.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hi Eric, I joined the forum. Hope that you had a nice holiday. I have an S. Kellyana that I grew from seed and it has seen 27 in a pot with no spotting or damage. It is a small plant and is not ready to go in the ground yet, but perhaps it will turn out to be fairly cold tolerant. There is very little information on it really any where on the interent; I found info on Toby's site and the morphological description in an article with one picture. It is allot like Picrophylla from what Toby told me. This is really all that I can offer my experience with it is still somewhat limited. Syagrus botryophoa is a super fast grower and really one of the nicest syagrus to me. I have really wanted to try to find a Syagrus Comosa but seed is very difficult to find and seemingly unreliable to germinate as well. Hope you all you guys had a nice day and your palms had plenty of sunshine.

Daniel

We state 25f because we know their safe to 25f. If we stated lower and our customers palms die, it gives a bad rep so, 25f is safe. Its possible the can take a tad bit lower.

Good luck!

The "Super Nova" hybrid is going to be awesome! We only had 3 of these and wish we had more. Much faster growing than the regular "coco-queen" and will be much larger! Should get LOTS of silver on the undersides unlike regular "coco-queens".

Axel, you just suggested syagrus picrophylla and syagrus kellyana as a cold-hardy alternative. Are they really as fast-growing and cold-hardy as the usual syagrus romanzoffiana? (Does anyone know?) There are regular queen palms all over town here. They seem to do well in our odd climate.

Thanks.

Syagrus kellyana may be another form of picrophylla, it's just a bit bluer. It's a cool weather grower on par with a catarina queen. Picrophylla is hardy as a regular queen from what I read.

• 6 years later...

Old thread revisited.  I went to Jungle Jacks yesterday and took some photos of their Coconut Queens.  They looked great.  Other palm photos too.

4072A12F-BD2A-4374-9E30-DB660097F862.jpeg

• Like 4

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999

7 years old from a 15 I was told.  Schizolobium 

AC3CA0EE-AEF5-4C55-8EBD-DFCA77516B40.jpeg

• Like 1

Dana Point Tropicals - C-27 License #906810

(949) 542-0999