IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"coconut queen"

mike-coral gables

I know this topic was discussed in the past but I wondered if anyone has checked out the inventory of these folks recently. They claim to have hybridized a queen and kentia, hence "coconut queen" .

http://www.junglejacks.com/

It looks to me to be a Syagrus schizophylla crossed with a queen palm.

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

think ill go pick up a couple. i called on them only 30" boxes or 1 gal. 20$ for the 1 gal.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

i dont see how they got "coconut" out of any of this :blink:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

i dont see how they got "coconut" out of any of this :blink:

maybe "Quentia" was already taken...

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Never heard of these guys. Looks like they carry about 6 species. And a little fast & loose with the terminology. Calling a Syagrus/queen a coconut and a Chamaedorea a queen.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

They are well known around the plant community. The old man introduced a lot of New Cal palms to the world as well as some Caryotas from Thailand. They have a lot of 'experiments' going on in Thailand where they also grow.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Jack I......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow what a clever company. This hybrid was created a long time ago and kept secret. A winner for sure.

Very smart to not divulge what it is. Queen with what ?

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Wow what a clever company. This hybrid was created a long time ago and kept secret. A winner for sure.

They say in a round about way that it's a queen and kentia.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Hmm, I wouldnt have thought that was possible. Arent they in completely different subfamilies?

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

No they say it has look of kentia.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I agree, it looks like Syagrus x montgomeriana.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I agree, it looks like Syagrus x montgomeriana.

Montgomeriana??? I believe it is Syagrus romanzoffiana X Syagrus schizophylla, aka the "Super parrot". Not so rare...

Thats exactly what Syagrus x montgomeriana is , S. romanzoffiana x S. schizophylla

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Yes, its the schizzy with.... :)

I have 2 yet to be planted... very slow to get height, but makes a regular queen look anorexic!! VERY Full..

And yes, open your New Cal Books to the beginning, and where you see Jack I. mentioned, Thats the Dad, son runs it now...

Palm Mountain used to be directly across the road!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yes, its the schizzy with.... :)

I have 2 yet to be planted... very slow to get height, but makes a regular queen look anorexic!! VERY Full..

And yes, open your New Cal Books to the beginning, and where you see Jack I. mentioned, Thats the Dad, son runs it now...

Palm Mountain used to be directly across the road!

Where these guys ever affiliated with Green Island Nursery in Cali. I recall them selling something also called the Coconut Queen but I do not see there website around anymore.

Yes, you and Erik are correct. I have spoken personally to this fellow and he told me that it is indeed a cross between Schizo and Queen.

I love this cross, pictured below is the palm in question w/ Ed Brown and his wife Nette when they were kind enough to visit me.

I have pollinated the inflorescence w/ Queen because i gave my buddy Ed all of the pollen i had from this palm. I am hoping that it is a little bit more cold tolerant w/ the newbies that i will have. I will let it self-pollinate next year now that it is holding seed.

post-518-037755600 1310500615_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Yes, you and Erik are correct. I have spoken personally to this fellow and he told me that it is indeed a cross between Schizo and Queen.

I love this cross, pictured below is the palm in question w/ Ed Brown and his wife Nette when they were kind enough to visit me.

I have pollinated the inflorescence w/ Queen because i gave my buddy Ed all of the pollen i had from this palm. I am hoping that it is a little bit more cold tolerant w/ the newbies that i will have. I will let it self-pollinate next year now that it is holding seed.

I had no clue the schizo x queen looked like this. I have seen some posts before here on the board. Any recent updates on it?

I had no clue the schizo x queen looked like this. I have seen some posts before here on the board. Any recent updates on it?

Also he mentions syagrus sp. on his website. Correct me if I am wrong maybe he is using the schizo x silver queen.

That palm came from seed off of a queen--it takes more after the mother than anything; I almost can't see any schizophylla...

That palm came from seed off of a queen--it takes more after the mother than anything; I almost can't see any schizophylla...

Nor do I.

Nor do I.

Just got off the phone with him. He indeed says it is a Syagrus R. X Schizophlla. He would not however tell me wich one is the host.

Nor do I.

Just got off the phone with him. He indeed says it is a Syagrus R. X Schizophlla. He would not however tell me wich one is the host.

I'd say it's obvious.

Nor do I.

I'd say it's obvious.

I would assume Syagrus R. X Schizophlla. However I found it kind of odd that he is selling them and would not tell me who the host was.

I'll have to stop by this guys place and take some pics. He lives 3 miles from me. He has some large ones that line the main pathway (like in the photos) but bigger. Whatever they are, they look great!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

• 1 year later...

This palm should be a winner out here. It carries that deep green coloration very well throughout, not unlike Dypsis prestoniana. My little 5g planted in May is kickin' somebut. Bill? I don't find it particularly slow? Schiz yes, this one no.

• 1 year later...

Bump. Germination has started on the syagrus schizophylla x Syagrus R. 2 months of pollinating 10 trees. 7 months waiting for the seed to mature on the trees. 3 months germination time.

post-1930-0-93331000-1391213272_thumb.jp

Erik, this one?--->"Syagrus hybrid schizophylla"<---great thread! I was just reading it yesterday.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Good read Shirley. Yes that is the one. I believe there is another post on this subject as well.

lol. Erik, I just noticed the date. Oh brother!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

http://www.junglejacks.com/browse-14084/Palms.html#P02

Coconut Queen® (Syagrus hybrid) - View Photos
We're palm people at heart, and have seen a lot of palms hit the market. In the early 70's it was the Seifrizii palm. Then Roebellini. Then Rhapis excelsa. Then Dypsis decaryii. More recently, it's the Mule palm (B. capitata x S. romanzoffianum). These were, in their time, very significant introductions, so we don't take it lightly when we say that the Coconut Queen® is at least on a par with these palms, if not better in its own way. I don't have a better way to describe it other than to say we've managed to combine the grace and elegance of the kentia with the hardiness and versatility of the Queen palm. We've had many visitors to our location who often remark that our 'kentias' (quotes added for emphasis) did not receive ANY damage from the worst freeze in California in the last 50 years, with temps under freezing for more than 8 hours at a stretch for 3 straight days, hitting a confirmed low of 24 F at our location. They're equally surprised when we tell them these are not kentias, but 'Coconut Queens'. It's a hybrid like the mule, but to compare them is akin to comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo... The Coconut Queen® is simply that much better.

Salient Facts about 'Coconut Queen'®
  • Cold hardy to within 1-2 F of Queen Palm (high teens)
Upon reaching mature size holds up to 40-50 fronds, compared to 15 or so for a comparable Queen palm
Digs and moves like a Queen
Slower growing than a Queen by about 30% - no instant beanpoles...
Because it's a hybrid, produces on average about 90% less fruit than a Queen palm, meaning much less mess and therefore less attractive to bats, rats, and tree-trimmers.
The first truly tropical-looking palm that's hardy - 'nuff said.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This guy sounds like a used car dealer - he sounds like a straight comission employee. What will he tell is next??? Does he have magic beans for sale too? Since when are "quotes" used for emphasis anyways?

I've seen these in person, maybe after 2 six packs of beer those things might begin to ressemble a kentia.

I've seen these in person, maybe after 2 six packs of beer those things might begin to ressemble a kentia.

Do they resemble the pictures posted on that link from the website?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages