IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What do the QUEEN X JUB look like when they get huge?

trioderob

It's twice the size, growing like a madman.

Gary-

is that jub x queen doing anything over this long hot summer we have had ?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary. Not cool. You can't make a statement like that and not show a picture. What about the 'ole A. dubia? Any pics of that?

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Gary. Not cool. You can't make a statement like that and not show a picture. What about the 'ole A. dubia? Any pics of that?

Sorry Buffy, i'll have to get a photo when I'm home. I don't even like to talk about this, but my Attalea dubia is dead. It got fried in a heat wave. I had a shade tent over it but the sun early and late in the day got under it and fried it, and I didn't notice until it was crispy. It is still a painfull thought to think about it. How is yours doing now?

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

chirp . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

sure is a good year for growin QUEEN x JUB's............ :mrlooney:

Gary thanks for taking the time to shoot a new photo.

cant wait to see what it did over this hot summer

that thing is a rocket

Edited by trioderob

Sorry Buffy, i'll have to get a photo when I'm home. I don't even like to talk about this, but my Attalea dubia is dead. It got fried in a heat wave. I had a shade tent over it but the sun early and late in the day got under it and fried it, and I didn't notice until it was crispy. It is still a painfull thought to think about it. How is yours doing now? Gary

Such is the life of a palm junkie. Mine are just going bifid with the current leaf. Very slow. I think the slow growth would be a bit of a hindrance in marginal climates for recovery after damage. I'm gonna wait until they're fully pinnate before I take the plunge. I'm definitely planting mine in shade.

My Jub X Queen is tiny in comparison to yours. It's fully pinnate and growing very well, but it doesn't get a lot of full sun. I have some massive Saba bananas that are creating quite a bit of shade in that area.

My real screamer has been the Yatay x Queen. I planted it as a barely pinnate seedling in the Spring of 2010. It was defoliated and I trimmed it to the ground to stop the rot in the Spring of 2011. It has grown from ground level into a 9 foot screamer in two growing seasons. It's reacted very similar to your Jub X Queen in growth. I'm starting to really understand that hybrid vigor is quite variable.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gary, That is truly a magnificent specimen, unbelievable growth, I have one of these Patric hybrids also here in north central Florida and its about 3 feet tall with about 5 pinnate fronds. I was wondering if anyone is willing to speculate whether the seeds of a Jubaea x Syagrus will be self sterile or fertile. Also what are the lowest temps anyone has had this palm come through with not a significant amount of damage, thanks in advance

Craig

• 8 months later...

Here is Jubaea x Syagrus from July 2009

DSC_2356.jpg

Here it is today, just 3 years later with standard rake leaning on it for scale.

DSC_3266.jpg

OK, I drooled enough over this picture that I finally got one of these, it's pretty darn small, I sure hope it turns out like this one. I was actually more excited about this cross than the cocoides cross. The palm above is just an absolute beauty. My new little seedling has the same beautiful reddish-maroon coloring at the base, a promising sign.

Gary, what size was yours when you got it, and how soon did you plant it?

• 1 month later...

Here is my queen x jubbie planted this Spring, about 2' tall

DSC_6910-XL.jpg

and my jub x queen

also planted this Spring

DSC_6909-XL.jpg

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

• 2 months later...

I'm considering planting my one out in the Spring 2014 but as I live in England I was wondering what it the lowest temperature that anyone has exposed one of these to? I would like to hear about successes and any failures that there might be so I know what the limits are please.

Mine has seen 16F with a blanket. Probably a little lower than that.

Mine has seen 16F with a blanket. Probably a little lower than that.

That's great news, thank you. Mine will definitely be going into the ground in the Spring now after hearing that.

• 11 months later...

here we go again-

Gary can you post an updated photo -end o summer '14 of your world renown Queen X Jub ???????????????????????

Never try to teach a pig to sing.
You waste your time,
and you annoy the pig.

-Mark Twain
Edited by trioderob

• 6 years later...
On 7/6/2012 at 1:48 AM, Gtlevine said:

Here is Jubaea x Syagrus from July 2009

DSC_2356.jpg

Here it is today, just 3 years later with standard rake leaning on it for scale.

DSC_3266.jpg

Just reading over many of the numerous hybrid threads, and I know Gary hasn't been on the site in several months, but I'm really wondering what this palm looks like now, nine years later, if it's still around.

If it grew that much in three short years, I'm thinking it's got to be huuuuuuuge!

• Upvote 1

@Scott W there should be some updated pics of @Gtlevine JxS in some other threads for sure. I'm pretty sure you can Google it actually. I'll see if I have a pic on file. 

T J 

20191029_081759.jpg

T J 

12 hours ago, Scott W said:

Cool, thanks!  I was looking but didn't see anything so figured I'd ask.

Yeah I saved that picture cause it is one stunning palm for sure. I'm still trying to get me one from Patric 

T J 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Yeah I saved that picture cause it is one stunning palm for sure. I'm still trying to get me one from Patric 

T J 

Yeah, it's on my list for sure!

I think you need to keep in mind that this is a F1 hybrid and there will be different phenotypes, some wont look like Gary's palm.  Consider the different mule palm phenotypes, you have to grow it to see what you are going to get.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

24 minutes ago, sonoranfans said:

I think you need to keep in mind that this is a F1 hybrid and there will be different phenotypes, some wont look like Gary's palm.  Consider the different mule palm phenotypes, you have to grow it to see what you are going to get.

Yes I completely understand that, thanks.  

1 hour ago, sonoranfans said:

Totally agree , actually if I could get one that looked like @meteorologistpalmguy that would be awesome. I really wish we knew if his had made it thru the freeze. He sold that home so I doubt we will ever know =/ 

T J 

T J