IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What do the QUEEN X JUB look like when they get huge?

trioderob

anyone have a photo of a monster queen x jub ???

what do those babies look like when then they get trunking ?

I don't think there are any trunking sized Jub X Queens, but if someone has one I'd like to see a photo of it. The only ones I know of were done by Patrick Schafer some years back. The largest one I know of is in S. Calif. and it's about head high. The fronds are stiff and look more like a Jubaea than a Queen, but they grow much faster than a pure Jubaea. There is a picture of the one in S. Calif. in one of the threads but I can't find it.

My J X S grew very slowly in a container, but it was planted in the ground last summer and it's growth has speeded up considerably. Unfortunately it's planted to close to another larger palm and I may have to move it. I also have a Syagrus X Jubaea which looks entirely different from the Jubaea X Syagrus.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Here a pic of the biggest Jubaea x Syagrus in Europe

from Charles garden in Portugal

M@x

post-180-050569400 1310292439_thumb.jpg

post-180-030768300 1310292469_thumb.jpg

M@x

North Rome Italy

I saw Gary Levine's Jubaea x Syagrus last September , It is over 1m tall and is said a very excited Gary " Two years old from a strap leaf seedling " :drool:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hi Troy,

it was Gary's J X S that I was referring to. I think Gary's is the largest in the USA. Someone posted a recent picture of it on PalmTalk, but I can't find the thread. Patrick tells me J X S is his most sought after hybrid followed by Butia X Parajubaea.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Charles JxS was mine before I moved to Brasil.

I am not surprised it is the most sought after.

The last winter in the UK it didnt burn at all in cold when even JxB showed signs of damage.

It was growing very fast and robust.

It must have been a metre tall when Charles took it 3 years ago.

For me this plant has more potential even than BxP.

I would love to see a JxP.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Nigel,

Thus far Patrick has been unable to cross Jubaea with Parajubaea, but my B X P that was crossed with Jubaea is holding on to 20 seeds. Using Jubaea as the mother plant the B X P pollen may be compatible. We should know in a few more weeks.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Troy,

it was Gary's J X S that I was referring to. I think Gary's is the largest in the USA. Someone posted a recent picture of it on PalmTalk, but I can't find the thread. Patrick tells me J X S is his most sought after hybrid followed by Butia X Parajubaea.

Dick

How big is your Jub? That is quite a task to climb a jubaea to pollinate it. Or is he pollinating the syagrus with Jubaea pollen? Which would make it S X J correct? The Syagrus X Jubaea is another one we are going to try this year. The Jubaea we are getting the pollen from is way to tall for any ladder to get to and need a bucket truck to just get the pollen.

Erik,

Only two of my Jubaeas are blooming this year. One must have at least 25 feet of woody trunk. It is quite a task to climb the length of the ladder and then crawl around in the fronds to reach the flowers. Not only is it tedious work for Patrick, but very dangerous. I worry that one day I will hear a loud splat in my garden and it won't be a palm frond.

Patrick has crossed Jubaea X Syagrus and Syagrus X Jubaea.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Erik,

Only two of my Jubaeas are blooming this year. One must have at least 25 feet of woody trunk. It is quite a task to climb the length of the ladder and then crawl around in the fronds to reach the flowers. Not only is it tedious work for Patrick, but very dangerous. I worry that one day I will hear a loud splat in my garden and it won't be a palm frond.

Patrick has crossed Jubaea X Syagrus and Syagrus X Jubaea.

Dick

Very impressive. It may be time to put a large trampoline under the Jubs so there are no splats.

some explain this to me

why is a SXJ not the same as a JXS ?

The mother plant(the one who sets the seed) will have the more dominant traits--if the seed comes off of a Syagrus, it will look like a Syagrus with some of the pollen donor's characteristics. If the Jubea is the seeder, then it will look more like a Jubea, than the the pollen donor.

some explain this to me

why is a SXJ not the same as a JXS ?

The mother plant(the one who sets the seed) will have the more dominant traits--if the seed comes off of a Syagrus, it will look like a Syagrus with some of the pollen donor's characteristics. If the Jubea is the seeder, then it will look more like a Jubea, than the the pollen donor.

I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw

Nigel,

Thus far Patrick has been unable to cross Jubaea with Parajubaea, but my B X P that was crossed with Jubaea is holding on to 20 seeds. Using Jubaea as the mother plant the B X P pollen may be compatible. We should know in a few more weeks.

Dick

That would just be incredible!

Cheers,

Adam

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

I received photos of this palm last year that was suspected of being a hybrid because of the retained leaf bases and copious amounts of fiber. They thought it might be a J x B, but the fronds don't look right for that cross. I suspect it is an accidental J x S. Not like there is a shortage of Queens in S. CA to prevent it from happening. What do you all think? It would for sure be the largest one.

post-972-052730600 1310504991_thumb.jpgpost-972-026203700 1310505023_thumb.jpgpost-972-015659700 1310505201_thumb.jpgpost-972-089213600 1310505266_thumb.jpgpost-972-010112600 1310505294_thumb.jpg

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Amazingly hoss base, but I don't see any queen...

I don't see any queen in the smaller one above either, but there sure seems to be a lot of fiber on it around the leaf bases too.

I have 5 trunking Jubaeas in my yard, including one the same size as the one I attached photos of, and none of them have even close to this much fiber. Mine of the same size has over 2' of bare trunk already.

Lows:

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

do crosses with palms act like other plants such as aloe trees where the growth rate is insanely faster than either parent ?

I will get a more recent pic of mine posted up over the weekend, it is now about 9 feet tall and the trunk is almost a foot across. It is growing like a rocket, much faster than my other hybrids and is a total stunner.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

It does seem to be more fluffy than normal, but aside from the fluff I only see Jubaea.

Resident in Bristol UK.

It does seem to be more fluffy than normal, but aside from the fluff I only see Jubaea.

It also seems to be retaining the leaf bases too long.

It has been nearly 4 weeks since I used the pollen you sent on the 1st infloresence, and about 75% of the flowers are developing. The fruit is about quarter size now.

Lows:

martin ,they will not abort now ,however they can still be 'stones'. I had this problem 3 times with old pollen,

Take a couple of seeds and do a cross section. If they have a hollow they are good .

Resident in Bristol UK.

I will get a more recent pic of mine posted up over the weekend, it is now about 9 feet tall and the trunk is almost a foot across. It is growing like a rocket, much faster than my other hybrids and is a total stunner.

Gary

gary-

would you like to sell it ?

martin ,they will not abort now ,however they can still be 'stones'. I had this problem 3 times with old pollen,

Take a couple of seeds and do a cross section. If they have a hollow they are good .

Will I be able to tell yet, or should I wait for them to ripen?

Lows:

I wouldnt be able to wait personally, will want to know ..... you can tell already. No hollow ,no good, with a hollow formed they will be good seeds.

Also I am very curious to know if the shipping technique worked :winkie:

Edited by Nigel

Resident in Bristol UK.

I wouldnt be able to wait personally, will want to know ..... you can tell already. No hollow ,no good, with a hollow formed they will be good seeds.

Also I am very curious to know if the shipping technique worked :winkie:

See for yourself. :D Looks good to me.

post-972-017151000 1310666105_thumb.jpg

Lows:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhh its good.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Gary

gary-

would you like to sell it ?

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Anything is for sale for the right price, but being that my Jubaea x Syagrus is one of my most prized palms, you would have to offer an arm and a leg.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Anything is for sale for the right price, but being that my Jubaea x Syagrus is one of my most prized palms, you would have to offer an arm and a leg.

any new photo ?????

I'll try and get a new pic up this weekend.

Gary

any new photo ?????

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

Gary,

Your Jubaea X Syagrus is the largest in the USA and has become an icon. Your not really serious about selling it, are you? Waiting on that photo. Mine is about half the size of yours and was planted last summer. Mine has really speeded up in growth once it was put in the ground.

Dick

Richard Douglas

do crosses with palms act like other plants such as aloe trees where the growth rate is insanely faster than either parent ?

Yes hybrid vigor is usually present in F1 crosses. Verdict still out on some back crosses - or F2 crosses wherein a hybrid pollen is used to pollinate a non-hybrid inflorescence.

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

I took the picture of it so I just need to post, maybe tonight. No I am not selling it, thats why I used the arm and leg analogy.

GAry

Gary,

Your Jubaea X Syagrus is the largest in the USA and has become an icon. Your not really serious about selling it, are you? Waiting on that photo. Mine is about half the size of yours and was planted last summer. Mine has really speeded up in growth once it was put in the ground.

Dick

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I took the picture of it so I just need to post, maybe tonight. No I am not selling it, thats why I used the arm and leg analogy.

GAry

Gary,

Dick

We just received some Jubaea pollen so hopefully we will have some output of the Syagrus x Jubaea and the Butia X Jubaea.

GAry

Gary,

Dick

After the long wait and big build up, I'm not sure how the photo of the palm could possibly live up to the hype... :lol:

Lows:

Martin,

You know we palm people always exaggerate. It's the photos on PalmTalk that keeps us honest.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Here are the updated photos, and yes it will live up to the hype. I am first posting the photo from last year, then the photo I just took. Yes, that is less than one year growth for a plant with Jubaea as the mom.

Jubaea x Syagrus 2010

IMG_1015.jpg

Jubaea x Syagrus 2011

DSC_3177.jpg

Sorry about the orange color, my camera took a bad picture, in person this palm lives up to and beyond the hype.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido