IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

More I-Drive restaurant palms

Trópico

Yesterday I took the camera and drove after work to the Charley's down the road from International Drive and Sand Lake Road. I spotted these palms last week while returning from lunch back to work.

Roystonea regia

DSC00007.jpg

The restaurant's south wall and corridor, shooting from the main parking lot

DSC00008.jpg

Edited by Trópico

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

The conditions were not optimal for pictures and it was kind of late, right around 7:00 PM and dark and drizzly.

A couple of foxtails with trunking Cocos nucifera

DSC00009.jpg

Phoenix sp.

DSC00010.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Very nice, maybe now with all the big box stores carrying exotic palms, landscapers will get more creative in their variety of palms the plant.

The royal looking back from the south corridor into the parking lot

DSC00011.jpg

Caryota mitis infructescence

DSC00012.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

The coconut crown. This palm looks to me like it's been there for many years, surviving both vicious 2010 winters.

DSC00013.jpg

The same with this well established Adonidia merrilli

DSC00014.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Lastly, Thrinax radiata and a little bottle palm.

DSC00015.jpg

I'm sold, this weekend me and the wife are going for the best in town steak, and more coconuts.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

That looks so good. I am surprised the bottle survived the severe winter you had over there. One extra cold night and mine look tatty. Thanks for posting these, always gives me ideas for using the common palms.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Rain. :bemused: I remember that stuff...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey Frank, where exactly is the Charley's? I live right over here off Wallace and Turkey Lake. By the way, anytime you want to stop by and check out the collection, feel free to PM me.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Cool pics, a lot of nice stuff.

A California drive would go something like this: Washy. Washy. Washy. Washy. Washy. Washy. Washy. Queen. Washy.........

I'll spare the pictures.....

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Hi Frank, you're telling me those Adonidia, and Coco where there before last winter, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Jason- About a block south of the corner of I-Drive and Sand Lake Road, across the street from the Brickhouse. I sent you a PM.

edric- I'm not sure but by the size it looks like those palms have been there for much longer than last winter.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Nice, I'll have to check it out.

Up the street at Bass Pro Shops, that enormous Pandanus utilis is still alive after the past 2 winters. Amazing since it is out in the open and most around town have died. P. utilis doesn't like the long cool/cold like we have had. Its been there for 10 years or more, whenever that store opened.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice, these palms are somewhat familiar as I was down there for work a bunch earlier this year. I saw the Adonidias as I drove by, but didn't catch the Thrinax or bottle palm. The Pandanus at Bass Pro Shops looked great I thought, though I don't see them much. And I was pleased to see some sort of tall tropical-looking palm at a retaining pond at the convention center that I believe Eric posted pictures of many moons ago.

Patrick, there's a thread about some non-Washy's (triangle palms) being planted in a median in Santa Monica, so take heart! I actually saw a nice triangle at a city building downtown in Orlando as well.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b