ErikSJI

Butia x Cocos N.

ErikSJI

Some updated photos of the Butia X Cocos N. Pollinated by Mark Lynn and BT.

post-1930-011421000 1310098781_thumb.jpg

ErikSJI

post-1930-070964500 1310098971_thumb.jpg

ErikSJI

post-1930-047953900 1310099120_thumb.jpg

ErikSJI

post-1930-022064300 1310099185_thumb.jpg

ErikSJI

post-1930-097224000 1310099685_thumb.jpg

gilles06

Look like a pure butia???

• Like 1

ErikSJI

Yes it does. They will be putting them in the ground this year. We will see how it does in the next year.

MattyB

I think your flower got pollinated by a Butia.

ErikSJI

I think your flower got pollinated by a Butia.

There is .1% chance you are correct and he had to many beers that day. He has yet to have a pure butia come up in the 10 years of pollinating so he says.

Even the Mule Palm some of them in there younger stages take on the looks of a pure Butia as some should it is the Host palm. I am sure you have seen some of the stories of people picking them up at there local home depot.

Zeeth

Thanks for the updated photos! It does look very Butia like at this stage, so it will be interesting to see what role the Cocos genes will play in this palm. Was it protected during the winter? How's the growth rate at this stage in it's life?

ErikSJI

Thanks for the updated photos! It does look very Butia like at this stage, so it will be interesting to see what role the Cocos genes will play in this palm. Was it protected during the winter? How's the growth rate at this stage in it's life?

I believe these are a little over 3 years old. I think he may have stuck these in an unheated shade house during the winter. One of the is going in the ground next week.

Gtlevine

Ive seen hundreds of Butia and they are very variable so a lot of people think they have hybrids when they don't. I wish this cross can be achieved but the palm shown just looks like a Butia to me, just can't see anything else in it. Hopefully as it gets larger it can change and show hybrid characteristics.

Gary

Brad Mondel

I don't think this cross can be achieved but this guy claims he has done it:

http://www.infojardin.com/foro/showthread.php?t=227293

and:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=93218

Edited by ArchAngeL01

JD in the OC

Looks like just a Butia capitata to me.

ErikSJI

I am not sure what that post said. But I can tell you that some of those photos are mine from when the Butia X Cocos was a seedling and some of those photos are of Mark Heaths on this board from his suspected Butia X Cocos cross.

ErikSJI

Looks like just a Butia capitata to me.

I agree. This next year will be the defining moment when we put it in the ground and see what it does from there.

Anyone have a photo of a butia at age 3 to compare?

bikoro child

Looks like a butia but: it seems there is no thorn on the petioles and these are not curved like normal butias...

MAUSER

13711104.jpg?t=1310634258

I made several experiments with pollen from the Canary Islands... Butia eriosphata X cocos, got crossed with this result. Only one.

Don´t I venture to say that is a true "Butia X coconuts".

The experts can give their opinions.

• Upvote 1

MAUSER

I made several experiments with pollen from the Canary Islands... Butia eriosphata X cocos, got crossed with this result. Only one.

Mother

230210030.jpg?t=1310635083

Nigel

Mauser, you did it !!!!!!!!!!!! THAT is a real Butiaxcocos.

Unmistakeable.

I also got 1 seed and it germinated within days which only coconuts do...................

krishnaraoji88

Sweet! Congrats guys!

-Krishna

Nigel

Mauser, I would add that I do not think your Butia is pure eriospatha.

It is flowering too young and the spathe tomentum is too sparse. I would speculate eriospatha x catarinensis.

• Like 1

freakypalmguy

That sure looks like the real deal Mauser, excellent. How old is it?

ErikSJI

Great job Mauser.

MAUSER

Mauser, you did it !!!!!!!!!!!! THAT is a real Butiaxcocos.

Unmistakeable.

I also got 1 seed and it germinated within days which only coconuts do...................

Hi Nigel.

These words of you, have much value.

thank you very much

MAUSER

Mauser, I would add that I do not think your Butia is pure eriospatha.

It is flowering too young and the spathe tomentum is too sparse. I would speculate eriospatha x catarinensis.

Hi Nigel.

Today most butia are mixed with others, and find one pure will be increasingly difficult.

I had thought that this plant bore fruit very young, and I also thought about a hybrid.

If it´s eriosphata X catarinensis would not be bad news. It has yellow flowers.

I like to have everything in the Butia´s world.

Greetings

Edited by MAUSER

MAUSER

That sure looks like the real deal Mauser, excellent. How old is it?

thanks guy

It´s almost 3 years old, "grows slowly"biggrin.gif

Edited by MAUSER

MAUSER

Great job Mauser.

Thanks

PalmGuyWC

I see no thorns or spines on the petioles. This leads me to believe it's the real deal, a Butia X Coconut. With Butia being the mother plant, naturally the palms should look more Butia. I expect as the palms grow, more of the Coconut characteristics will show. It would also be interesting to know how much cold the palms will take without foliage damage..

Dick

Stevetoad

I wonder if it will produce jelly filled coconuts! :lol:

Zeeth

I really like the idea of this cross. I am highly curious as to what it will look like when mature, and also what the hardiness will be and how big the fruits will be. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to get one for my garden, as this would be one variety of coconut that would be super awesome to have!!

TimHopper

I would sure like to see photos of this one in a couple of years.

Gtlevine

The first one I have seen that looks like the real deal, now we have to wait patiently to see it grow, see if it becomes an attractive palm, then see if it is cold hardy.

Keep us up to date, we are all excited about this one.

bikoro child

Hi, this one looks really like a parajubaea so it's a very good job..;The question of hardiness is a very good question :what are the best parents you have to find to get it? Maybe Butia EriospathaX Parajubaea TVT,what do you think about it?

MAUSER

I see no thorns or spines on the petioles. This leads me to believe it's the real deal, a Butia X Coconut. With Butia being the mother plant, naturally the palms should look more Butia. I expect as the palms grow, more of the Coconut characteristics will show. It would also be interesting to know how much cold the palms will take without foliage damage..

Dick

Hello.

It was two winters outdoors, next to the pool.

This past winter the temperature dropped about -2 ° C. Has not suffered any damage or burn, all in perfect condition.

Regards

MAUSER

Hi, this one looks really like a parajubaea so it's a very good job..;The question of hardiness is a very good question :what are the best parents you have to find to get it? Maybe Butia EriospathaX Parajubaea TVT,what do you think about it?

Hello.

What matters is the end result, I think in general the parents do not matter much.

For example, my parents are both handsome, I'm ugly, but my son is very handsome.

Regards

MAUSER

The first one I have seen that looks like the real deal, now we have to wait patiently to see it grow, see if it becomes an attractive palm, then see if it is cold hardy.

Keep us up to date, we are all excited about this one.

Hello

I have many strange things. In the future will see the results.

I'm just a fan who spends a little of my time doing things I enjoy.

bikoro child

Hello.

What matters is the end result, I think in general the parents do not matter much.

For example, my parents are both handsome, I'm ugly, but my son is very handsome.

Regards

hahahaha! well done! More seriously in crossing palm what is interesting is to increase quality of parents ,not meaning necessarely the result 'll be the top one ,but it's a good direction to take...

Edited by bikoro child

MAUSER

Nobody knows that crossing will be the best, a "simple" ButiaX Syagrus r. can be impressive. Also the more complicated cross (ButiaxparajubaeaXsyagrus amara ... or similar) may be ugly ... or pretty. Only God knows.

Hello.

Regards

hahahaha! well done! More seriously in crossing palm what is interesting is to increase quality of parents ,not meaning necessarely the result 'll be the top one ,but it's a good direction to take...

Edited by MAUSER

Mónica

Good job! This palm it's very very pretty, and interesting.