IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Cocos N.

ErikSJI

Some updated photos of the Butia X Cocos N. Pollinated by Mark Lynn and BT.

post-1930-011421000 1310098781_thumb.jpg

Look like a pure butia???

• Like 1

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

Yes it does. They will be putting them in the ground this year. We will see how it does in the next year.

I think your flower got pollinated by a Butia.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I think your flower got pollinated by a Butia.

There is .1% chance you are correct and he had to many beers that day. He has yet to have a pure butia come up in the 10 years of pollinating so he says.

Even the Mule Palm some of them in there younger stages take on the looks of a pure Butia as some should it is the Host palm. I am sure you have seen some of the stories of people picking them up at there local home depot.

Thanks for the updated photos! It does look very Butia like at this stage, so it will be interesting to see what role the Cocos genes will play in this palm. Was it protected during the winter? How's the growth rate at this stage in it's life?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks for the updated photos! It does look very Butia like at this stage, so it will be interesting to see what role the Cocos genes will play in this palm. Was it protected during the winter? How's the growth rate at this stage in it's life?

I believe these are a little over 3 years old. I think he may have stuck these in an unheated shade house during the winter. One of the is going in the ground next week.

Ive seen hundreds of Butia and they are very variable so a lot of people think they have hybrids when they don't. I wish this cross can be achieved but the palm shown just looks like a Butia to me, just can't see anything else in it. Hopefully as it gets larger it can change and show hybrid characteristics.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I don't think this cross can be achieved but this guy claims he has done it:

http://www.infojardin.com/foro/showthread.php?t=227293

and:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=93218

Edited by ArchAngeL01

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

I am not sure what that post said. But I can tell you that some of those photos are mine from when the Butia X Cocos was a seedling and some of those photos are of Mark Heaths on this board from his suspected Butia X Cocos cross.

Looks like just a Butia capitata to me.

I agree. This next year will be the defining moment when we put it in the ground and see what it does from there.

Anyone have a photo of a butia at age 3 to compare?

Looks like a butia but: it seems there is no thorn on the petioles and these are not curved like normal butias...

near the beach and the coconut trees surrounded by crystal waters...

13711104.jpg?t=1310634258

I made several experiments with pollen from the Canary Islands... Butia eriosphata X cocos, got crossed with this result. Only one.

Don´t I venture to say that is a true "Butia X coconuts".

The experts can give their opinions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

I made several experiments with pollen from the Canary Islands... Butia eriosphata X cocos, got crossed with this result. Only one.

Mother

230210030.jpg?t=1310635083

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Mauser, you did it !!!!!!!!!!!! THAT is a real Butiaxcocos.

Unmistakeable.

I also got 1 seed and it germinated within days which only coconuts do...................

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Sweet! Congrats guys!

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Mauser, I would add that I do not think your Butia is pure eriospatha.

It is flowering too young and the spathe tomentum is too sparse. I would speculate eriospatha x catarinensis.

• Like 1

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

That sure looks like the real deal Mauser, excellent. How old is it?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Mauser, you did it !!!!!!!!!!!! THAT is a real Butiaxcocos.

Unmistakeable.

I also got 1 seed and it germinated within days which only coconuts do...................

Hi Nigel.

These words of you, have much value.

thank you very much

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Mauser, I would add that I do not think your Butia is pure eriospatha.

It is flowering too young and the spathe tomentum is too sparse. I would speculate eriospatha x catarinensis.

Hi Nigel.

Today most butia are mixed with others, and find one pure will be increasingly difficult.

I had thought that this plant bore fruit very young, and I also thought about a hybrid.

If it´s eriosphata X catarinensis would not be bad news. It has yellow flowers.

I like to have everything in the Butia´s world.

Greetings

Edited by MAUSER
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

That sure looks like the real deal Mauser, excellent. How old is it?

thanks guy

It´s almost 3 years old, "grows slowly"biggrin.gif

Edited by MAUSER
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

I see no thorns or spines on the petioles. This leads me to believe it's the real deal, a Butia X Coconut. With Butia being the mother plant, naturally the palms should look more Butia. I expect as the palms grow, more of the Coconut characteristics will show. It would also be interesting to know how much cold the palms will take without foliage damage..

Dick

Richard Douglas

I wonder if it will produce jelly filled coconuts! :lol:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I really like the idea of this cross. I am highly curious as to what it will look like when mature, and also what the hardiness will be and how big the fruits will be. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to get one for my garden, as this would be one variety of coconut that would be super awesome to have!!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I would sure like to see photos of this one in a couple of years.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

The first one I have seen that looks like the real deal, now we have to wait patiently to see it grow, see if it becomes an attractive palm, then see if it is cold hardy.

Keep us up to date, we are all excited about this one.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Hi, this one looks really like a parajubaea so it's a very good job..;The question of hardiness is a very good question :what are the best parents you have to find to get it? Maybe Butia EriospathaX Parajubaea TVT,what do you think about it?

I see no thorns or spines on the petioles. This leads me to believe it's the real deal, a Butia X Coconut. With Butia being the mother plant, naturally the palms should look more Butia. I expect as the palms grow, more of the Coconut characteristics will show. It would also be interesting to know how much cold the palms will take without foliage damage..

Dick

Hello.

It was two winters outdoors, next to the pool.

This past winter the temperature dropped about -2 ° C. Has not suffered any damage or burn, all in perfect condition.

Regards

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Hi, this one looks really like a parajubaea so it's a very good job..;The question of hardiness is a very good question :what are the best parents you have to find to get it? Maybe Butia EriospathaX Parajubaea TVT,what do you think about it?

Hello.

What matters is the end result, I think in general the parents do not matter much.

For example, my parents are both handsome, I'm ugly, but my son is very handsome.

Regards

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

The first one I have seen that looks like the real deal, now we have to wait patiently to see it grow, see if it becomes an attractive palm, then see if it is cold hardy.

Keep us up to date, we are all excited about this one.

Hello

I have many strange things. In the future will see the results.

I'm just a fan who spends a little of my time doing things I enjoy.

ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Hello.

What matters is the end result, I think in general the parents do not matter much.

For example, my parents are both handsome, I'm ugly, but my son is very handsome.

Regards

hahahaha! well done! More seriously in crossing palm what is interesting is to increase quality of parents ,not meaning necessarely the result 'll be the top one ,but it's a good direction to take...

Edited by bikoro child

Nobody knows that crossing will be the best, a "simple" ButiaX Syagrus r. can be impressive. Also the more complicated cross (ButiaxparajubaeaXsyagrus amara ... or similar) may be ugly ... or pretty. Only God knows.

Hello.

Regards

hahahaha! well done! More seriously in crossing palm what is interesting is to increase quality of parents ,not meaning necessarely the result 'll be the top one ,but it's a good direction to take...

Edited by MAUSER
ESMUR3000000030009A.gif

Good job! This palm it's very very pretty, and interesting.

Sur de Mallorca (39º 58′ 0″ N) - Zona USDA 9b/10a