IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yet another "growing a coconut out of the tropics" thread..

Laisla87

Emboldened by the Newport California Coconut and others on the NSW central coast I'm trying to create the perfect outdoor spot to attempt to grow a coconut palm. I have included some pics of the spot:

post-5838-035181500 1309315302_thumb.jpg

The spot has a north-north western aspect and is surrounded by dark paving. Behind it is a fence. My concern would be less if it had a brick wall there instead of a wooden fence to reflect more heat. The ground has been raised about a metre with coarse river sand, giving excellent drainage (I have to water almost daily even in cool weather). To the south, south east and south west there are extensive vegetation and two story homes, blocking most cold breezes. I've included below a photo of the plants adjacent:

post-5838-040607300 1309315724_thumb.jpg

My concern is not the minimum temps, as they aren't too low, but highs of only 18 in winter. So I'm hoping the paving will help with that. Also to the north east of the site is an apartment block, meaning sun won't hit the coconut until 10am in mid winter. There is slight overhead canopy with a partially defoliated gum tree, but is to the east and will not overshadow the plant during the day.

So for those who have experience with coconuts, especially outside the tropics I have some questions:

Sand - People mention growing it in pure sand for excellent drainage and higher soil temperatures, but should this be coarse river or beach sand?

Raising the maximum temp - placing a large mirror behind it in winter until it establishes?

I am on the wrong side of borderline for coconuts but I still want to give it a try. If anyone has any further advice, I'd be grateful. Finally,I've a pic of the planes which fly overhead: post-5838-001314700 1309316781_thumb.jpg

Maybe those jets will add enough extra winter heat to make it work.... :mrlooney:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Hi, I'm another who wants to grow cocos. But I'm south of the border, and thus certifiably loony. I'm certainly no expert so take this with a pinch of whatever....

I think the sand is coarse river sand, that's what I'll probably use come Spring. Tyrone uses something called Perth sand, which I believe is bleached beach sand. But everything is bigger out west, so their fine beach sand is probably more coarse grained than our coarsest river sand. :rolleyes:;)

The reflector idea seems OK. Perhaps some form of plastic tent or greenhouse to help warm it up during the day. From what I've read, you need to get the temp up above 20C (which a greenhouse in the sun will do) and keep it warm as possible at night.

You seem to have the major issues worked out. Drainage when cold, and temperature during winter. Just a matter of providing these to the plants needs.....

Edited by Bae72

Brian - Mernda, Victoria, Australia - 37° 36′ 32.4″ S, 145° 5′ 34.8″ E

Melbourne has a moderate oceanic climate (Köppen climate classification Cfb) - High: 46.4 (115.5), low: -2.8 (27)

94868.gif

Hi

Where abouts in Sydney are you located? Your young coconut palm will need the ground to be dry and warm, atleast close to 20C during the days for most of the winter and no frost. Prolonged cold nights in the single digits will kill it as well. I wouldnt plant it till spring so that it can get established during the summer months. Once established after the first year I cant stress enought that the soil must be dry, they can get by with no watering for the winter months as they stop growing for the most part. You will need to cover it with a portable hothouse to increase the day time temperatures and to keep out the winter rain. Doing all this, you will increase the odds in your favour. As for the soil, well draining soil is best with plenty of mulch. If you have heavy soil add some river sand as it has excellent drainage. If you have deep pockets you could put in a 60W light bulb in the hothouse to keep the night time temps up, this may well determine if your successful for the first couple of years. Behind the fence is the ground going to be cold and wet? if so that is a bad spot to plant the palm.

Good luck

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Hi

Where abouts in Sydney are you located? Your young coconut palm will need the ground to be dry and warm, atleast close to 20C during the days for most of the winter and no frost. Prolonged cold nights in the single digits will kill it as well. I wouldnt plant it till spring so that it can get established during the summer months. Once established after the first year I cant stress enought that the soil must be dry, they can get by with no watering for the winter months as they stop growing for the most part. You will need to cover it with a portable hothouse to increase the day time temperatures and to keep out the winter rain. Doing all this, you will increase the odds in your favour. As for the soil, well draining soil is best with plenty of mulch. If you have heavy soil add some river sand as it has excellent drainage. If you have deep pockets you could put in a 60W light bulb in the hothouse to keep the night time temps up, this may well determine if your successful for the first couple of years. Behind the fence is the ground going to be cold and wet? if so that is a bad spot to plant the palm.

Good luck

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm in Petersham, but if I cross the road I'm in Leichardt and if I cross it on the corner I'm in Annandale. The biggest threat are the cold nights with minimums of 8 degrees which we often get in mid winter. I was thinking of covering the ground in thick transparent plastic over winter to not only help with drainage but heap up the ground....

Hi

Good luck

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm in Petersham, but if I cross the road I'm in Leichardt and if I cross it on the corner I'm in Annandale. The biggest threat are the cold nights with minimums of 8 degrees which we often get in mid winter. I was thinking of covering the ground in thick transparent plastic over winter to not only help with drainage but heap up the ground....

I think you might be struggling to grow one there, have you thought about growing a Beccariophoenix madagascariensis, this palm is a coconut lookalike if fact most people cant tell the difference. Here is a picture of mine with the coconut in the background.

Cheers

Mike

post-250-008732900 1309320956_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike

I have considered the coconut lookalike, but prefer the real thing. Yours looks very impressive. Did you do much to get it through its early years (heating? protection?). I'm assuming the first few years are the most critical. I'm sure it can be done here, its just a matter of creating the perfect mircoclimate.

Hi Mike

I have considered the coconut lookalike, but prefer the real thing. Yours looks very impressive. Did you do much to get it through its early years (heating? protection?). I'm assuming the first few years are the most critical. I'm sure it can be done here, its just a matter of creating the perfect mircoclimate.

I think the beccariophoenix look like a super healthy, super plumose cocos nucifera. How cold hardy are they?

Hi Mike

Mine is about 20 years old which was the only one that I managed to keep alive out of more than a dozen at the time. All the rest were planted in various spots in the garden. I didnt cover it or provide heat for the first few years but I did pile on the grass clippings which acted as a barrier to repel the rain water and as we all know lots of grassclipping in a pile heats up as it breaks down. It was only when I planted the Licuala grandis and others right next to the coconut that a hothouse was build and I placed in a 60W light bulb. This would of helped in keeping the ground dry and warmer for atleast some of the roots of the coconut palm. The first five years would be critical in your case maybe longer, keep atleast a metre or more dry around the coconut, cover it and heat it and you have a good chance of pulling it off.

Even after all these years I still cover a small area around the coconut as I dont want to lose the grandis, the light bulb is gone though. And probably equally important is the fishpond that is right next to it, as its heated during winter to keep alive my tropical fish. This maybe the most important factor in succeeding in the early stages and I almost forgot about it.

Good luck

Mike

Hi Mike

Mine is about 20 years old which was the only one that I managed to keep alive out of more than a dozen at the time. All the rest were planted in various spots in the garden. I didnt cover it or provide heat for the first few years but I did pile on the grass clippings which acted as a barrier to repel the rain water and as we all know lots of grassclipping in a pile heats up as it breaks down. It was only when I planted the Licuala grandis and others right next to the coconut that a hothouse was build and I placed in a 60W light bulb. This would of helped in keeping the ground dry and warmer for atleast some of the roots of the coconut palm. The first five years would be critical in your case maybe longer, keep atleast a metre or more dry around the coconut, cover it and heat it and you have a good chance of pulling it off.

Even after all these years I still cover a small area around the coconut as I dont want to lose the grandis, the light bulb is gone though. And probably equally important is the fishpond that is right next to it, as its heated during winter to keep alive my tropical fish. This maybe the most important factor in succeeding in the early stages and I almost forgot about it.

Good luck

Mike

Are both (the coconut and the Beccariophoenix) 20 years old?

Tom

High 79F, Low 57F

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

Hi Mike

Good luck

Mike

Are both (the coconut and the Beccariophoenix) 20 years old?

Tom

High 79F, Low 57F

Hi Tom

No the Beccariophoenix is about 12 years old.

Cheers

Mike

Give it a try Adam. You won't really know until you try. Maybe try a green variety, the largest you can source and afford and put it in in Spring.

I was in Ananndale about a year ago. The Archontophoenix look really good there. Nice area. Quite sunny in winter too, at least when we were there in mid August.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.