IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Another bugs eye view post

SubTropicRay

Dictyosperma album

Dictyospermaalbum.jpg

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ptychosperma lineare

Ptychospermalineare.jpg

Archontophoenix myolensis

Archontophoenixmyolensis.jpg

Leaf of Sabal mauritiiformis

Sabalmauritiiformis.jpg

My Dictyospermas don't even come CLOSE to those.

In the greenhouse, they smoke.  Outside, in the Big Orgy, they choke!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ray,

yes, this is always an interesting way to look at many palms! Here's a Borassodendron machadonis

post-22-1152410849_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And Clinostigma samoense (of course!!)

post-22-1152410917_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Couldn't resist a few more.

Ray, that Sabal mauritiiformis frond looks somewhat different from what I'm used to seeing. Here's one of mine.

post-22-1152424986_thumb.jpg

And the mystery Clinostigma. Maybe an unnamed species, who knows? You're looking up at about 45 ft of trunk. When planted in May 1997, the OVERALL height of this palm was 5 ft/1.5 m. Today it's about 60 ft/18 m. tall.

post-22-1152425265_thumb.jpg

OK, OK, so you can't see the entire trunk of that Clinostigma. Sorry about that! I shouldn't have planted those other palms that close....

Here's a Carpoxylon macrospermum. Right after an old frond/crownshaft comes off they have quite a bit of color.

post-22-1152425376_thumb.jpg

these are all amazing pics! oops, i need a minute to wipe the drool off my keyboard!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

these are all amazing pics! oops, i need a minute to wipe the drool off my keyboard!

I second you....... Ray/Bo... awesome shots....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Mongo LIKE palm picture!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Another great palm here in the rainforest: Areca vestiaria

post-22-1152583700_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple,

Veitchia montgomeryana

bugseyevmonty.jpg

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana (with a bug), note the bizzie always trying to get in on the act.

bugseyeacunn.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nobody said they had to be mature plams, so here's my famous juvenile Clinostigma hawaiian hybrid thingamebob species. Jeff Marcus, you have a lot to answer for, what are the parents ?

bugseyechawaiian.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Caryota obtusa (a.k.a. Caryota gigas)

post-22-1152598907_thumb.jpg

(bgl @ Jul. 11 2006,02:21)

Caryota obtusa (a.k.a. Caryota gigas)

Bo

That freaks me out ! Excellent shot.

How high are we talkng here looking up ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Thanks Wal! And there are actually TWO fronds, one above the other. I'd estimate that the lower one was probably about 12 ft/3.6 m. above my camera.

Bo

Here' anothery.

A.alexandrae, surrounded by golden canes and a mitis fishtail.

birdseyealex800.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Pigafettas are great looking from a bug's perspective. Actually, come to think of it, pretty much the same perspective whether you're a bug or a human!

post-22-1152677594_thumb.jpg

2005_0711_202857AA.jpg

aiphanes caryotifolia,bali hyatt palm garden,sanur,bali.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.