IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ensete lasiocarpum, Golden Lotus Banana, flowering

Eric in Orlando

Ensete lasiocarpum, the Golden Lotus Banana, is currently flowering. This was formerly known as Musella lasiocarpa.

img_5414.jpg

img_5409.jpg

img_5413.jpg

• Like 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

That is Musella not an Ensete. Beautifull plant. One of the hardiest bananas, ornamental that is.

Beautiful Eric-does the flower last a long time?

Our flowers would last 8 months.

It lasts at least a month, maybe a bit longer

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Wow, and that's actually cold hardy? Ed

The roots are hardy, foliage still freezes right around 32F. But it can be grown into zone 7 where it comes back each year from the roots.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

That is Musella not an Ensete. Beautifull plant. One of the hardiest bananas, ornamental that is.

It was placed back into Ensete last year.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Our flowers would last 8 months.

Wow !!! I don't remember ours lasting that long !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old post.

The plant is in musella, not ensete.

Also, its proper species name is lasiocarpa, not lasiocarpum.

A new form with red sepals was decscribed just a month ago, and they called it musella lasiocarpa var. Rubribraceta.

Where did you find that is was moved back into ensete???

I have 3 psudeostems of it about to flower, and I'm still saying that it is a musella. It is shorter than most ensetes, it is a suckering plant, and it has an erect inflorescence, while most ensetes have a pendant inflorescence. It's leaves and psudeostem size are unlike a musa. These characteristics were the ones that created the new genus. As I said before, I am certain that it is stil called a musella.

-bananaman

All images I post are shared under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND License

I know this is an old post.

The plant is in musella, not ensete.

Also, its proper species name is lasiocarpa, not lasiocarpum.

A new form with red sepals was decscribed just a month ago, and they called it musella lasiocarpa var. Rubribraceta.

Where did you find that is was moved back into ensete???

I have 3 psudeostems of it about to flower, and I'm still saying that it is a musella. It is shorter than most ensetes, it is a suckering plant, and it has an erect inflorescence, while most ensetes have a pendant inflorescence. It's leaves and psudeostem size are unlike a musa. These characteristics were the ones that created the new genus. As I said before, I am certain that it is stil called a musella.

Here you go.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I see now. I read a discussion on bananas.org about the plant at kew. The poster wanted to know if its name had been changed. The overall response was an overwhelming no. If you want go to bananas.org and search ensete lasiocarpum, and that discussion should be a result. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh to you in my first post.

-bananaman

Wow, and that's actually cold hardy? Ed

The roots are hardy, foliage still freezes right around 32F. But it can be grown into zone 7 where it comes back each year from the roots.

Very nice! Probably marginal in z7, though. I tried it here once several years ago, but it did not come back. Haven't tried it since.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

How tall was yours when it flowered??

Mine threw up one of the half leaves before the flower at about 2 feet of psudeostem.

Did yours do that too?

I mean, did it throw up smaller leaves before the bloom?

Thanks, and again, sorry if I sounded mean :)

-bananaman

Yes, the last 1 or 2 leaves come out smaller.

Its all good. I've seen big discussions about the naming. But if Kew has accepted it then there must be some good valid points.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 years later...

resuscitating an old topic here, but I was given seeds from a friend this morning for this ensete lasiocarpum, and could use some germinating advice.

Scarification?

Soaking?

Plastic baggie method?

I will try different techniques, but it's nice to hear what others have done with success. Apparently it is not easy to germinate these seeds.

• 5 years later...

At last... after growing for over two years... the arrival of my Musella lasiocarpa "golden artichoke" of an inflorescence! This plant started out as a volunteer in soil I brought from my former home. I'll have 6 months to enjoy this bloom. The honeybees go crazy and jam themselves down in each flower for either the nectar or the pollen or both.  There must be at least a dozen new offshoots at the base of this plant. ^_^

ChineseYellowBanana1.png

ChineseYellowBanana2.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Honeybees have now 'discovered' the Musella lasiocarpa bloom. It's fascinating (I'm easily amused) to watch as they struggle to get out after feeding since the petals/bracts (?) are so waxy and slippery.

ChineseBananaBloom.png

ChineseBananaBloom2.png

• Like 3