IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Variegated Palms and Cycads - show 'em!

The Silent Seed

Jerod,

That bottom right one is Rhapis multifida. It sold on Saturday, yesterday. I think we still have the other three.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Dang, I would have loved that one! The others look like R.excelsa, correct me if I'm wrong, if they are not, what are they? I'm always looking to add to my vari collection!

Jerod

SurfCityPalms.com

Jerod,

all of the others are variegated varieties of R. excelsa. At one point we had about 15 or 20 types (Hollenberg's collection) but those are long gone. Now we get them from time to time and probably have about 4 varieties available. If Danny sees this, perhaps he can chime in. It's his favorite thing with palms.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

• 4 months later...

Been growing my Christmas palm in 50% shade cloth lately and it pushed a nice new leaf. Had to post a couple pics. I think it does better in half sun or full sun than shade.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Been growing my Christmas palm in 50% shade cloth lately and it pushed a nice new leaf. Had to post a couple pics. I think it does better in half sun or full sun than shade.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Absolutely beautiful palm, JD.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Ha, I can see how you noticed that Jody... :winkie:

It's doing fine. Slow growing tho.. probably needs more sun than it's getting. Only grows about 2 leaves per year :(

JD, dont mean to hijack the thread, but I notice differences in the way the D. spinulosum and the Adonidia manifest the individual variegation......is one chimeral and the other mitochondrial, and if so, how would that affect subsequent fertilization, ie. would you keep soluble N to less than , say 100 ppm? ...or less???

Thanks

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Ha, I can see how you noticed that Jody... :winkie:

It's doing fine. Slow growing tho.. probably needs more sun than it's getting. Only grows about 2 leaves per year :(

That seems like typical growth for normal D. spinulosum of that size. If you ever want to trade it for something, you know how to reach me!

Jody

Rusty,

I didn't realize you were an erudite geneticist :) I differentiate them as genetic and viral. Variegated wodveitchia is genetic; the individual plant cells congregate in hybrid offspring creating dual-coloration. These can be fertilized with nitrogen in order to augment a juxtaposition creating green and yellow. Whereas, variegated adonidia and rhapis are a result of a chimeral viral infection and any amount of nitrogen can potentially reduce the contrast between the two colors. However, empirical evidence suggests that climactic conditions can bear an affect on the contrast, mainly with regard to soil and pH. Results differ between variegated plants fertilized in California and Florida. The reason for this has yet to be explained. Viral variegation can be passed on to offspring through seed that inherits the chimeral tissue, whereas varieated species such as wodveitchia manifest a genetic form of variegation in which the parent is typically sterile and will not pass on this trait through typical reproduction. However, I know of one wodveitchia here in FL that has produced viable seed resulting in variegated F2 offspring.

JD

Paul, I like cycas revoluta var. aurea! Fertilize the heck out of it and it will always keep those gold tips :)

Caranday, how old is that? Do you know? It's beautiful. Do you grow it outdoors or indoors? I have a tiny one...

Rusty,

I didn't realize you were an erudite geneticist :) I differentiate them as genetic and viral. Variegated wodveitchia is genetic; the individual plant cells congregate in hybrid offspring creating dual-coloration. These can be fertilized with nitrogen in order to augment a juxtaposition creating green and yellow. Whereas, variegated adonidia and rhapis are a result of a chimeral viral infection and any amount of nitrogen can potentially reduce the contrast between the two colors. However, empirical evidence suggests that climactic conditions can bear an affect on the contrast, mainly with regard to soil and pH. Results differ between variegated plants fertilized in California and Florida. The reason for this has yet to be explained. Viral variegation can be passed on to offspring through seed that inherits the chimeral tissue, whereas varieated species such as wodveitchia manifest a genetic form of variegation in which the parent is typically sterile and will not pass on this trait through typical reproduction. However, I know of one wodveitchia here in FL that has produced viable seed resulting in variegated F2 offspring.

JD

Well, JD, erudition and my name dont seem to go together, no matter how hard i try to imagine it!!!! :lol:

Seriously, thanks a lot for the information.....i think the subject is fascinating....long ago i became acquainted with a parasitic plant, Dodder...i think Cuscuta is the genus.....it is utilizes haustoria to parasitise the host, and if growing on two separate plants can transmit a disease from one host to the other (most often MLO's but also viruses).....i thought it would be an interesting experiment to see if the parasitiod could transmit variegation between plants...there may be inherent obstacles, IE if a viral infestation is geolimited due to tissue differentiation, but it would be an interesting exercise, i think.....i have yet to try it, but i think i would start on other monocots, and save the more rare and valuable palms for later. :)

Thanks again for the information.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Paul, I like cycas revoluta var. aurea! Fertilize the heck out of it and it will always keep those gold tips :)

Caranday, how old is that? Do you know? It's beautiful. Do you grow it outdoors or indoors? I have a tiny one...

Hi JD

That howea are probably 7 years old, and it grow indoors in a greenhouse.

Wow, thats a pretty slow palm. Looks like it enjoys being in a small container. I figured howea would like low humidity... but you say you grow it in your greenhouse?...

Here's my Wodyetia bifurcata just hanging in there.

post-51-026506800 1331702777_thumb.jpg

post-51-076788200 1331702793_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wow, thats a pretty slow palm. Looks like it enjoys being in a small container. I figured howea would like low humidity... but you say you grow it in your greenhouse?...

JD

yes, howea very slow, one or to years to germinate, and a leaf per year. It grows well in our climate but when small is better in greenhouse.

The only one that survived out of three Adonidia merilii ordered from Thailand ,

post-6446-027081900 1332100864_thumb.jpg

and my precious variegated Cycas revoluta ,

post-6446-094835500 1332100897_thumb.jpg

i ' ve got also two Cycas revoluta var. ''Aurea'' nothing like this but good looking if kept away from direct sunlight so the yellow tips last more before turn brown .

If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything.

Western Greece zone 9b

good point caranday.

nice sago dimitris, one to be proud of! (can't grow em here because of asian scale)

A Majesty I picked up today in Miami:

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

Here are two dypsis out of I don't how many seedlings , but every so often one shows up.

post-4755-000978200 1332298720_thumb.jpg

dypsis procera it is interesting that the off shoots do not show any variegation yet

post-4755-060837000 1332298760_thumb.jpg

dypsis paludosa entire leaf this one will be fun to watch

• Upvote 2

Bill,

Wow! Good show! It's rare to get varieg dypsis. Those are nice. About how many seed did you have to sprout? In the 1,000's or 10,000's? Just curious... :D

• 2 months later...

Some variegata I have in the garden...

rhapis-excelsa-variegated-02.jpg

Rhapis excelsa variegata

rhapis-excel-var01_04.jpg

Rhapis excelsa variegata var ?

rhapis-excel-var02_02.jpg

Rhapis excelsa variegata var ?

cyrto_renda_var_06.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My palms collection : http://www.palmiers.eu

My B&B : bannongresort.com

I have this Chambeyronia in my yard that puts out one varigated leaflet about once every 3d or 4th leaf. It's real easy to miss.

152chambyvari.jpg

post-232-021544700 1338745555_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Brickey

• 4 years later...

This is my dwraf banana it wasnt variegated like this untill it died of last winter it had straight green leafs untill coming back all its suckers are variegated to

1494938096706.jpg

1494938117716.jpg

• 3 years later...

Aloha everyone, this variegated Calyptrocalyx leaf is too nice to not share. Was blessed by this beauty, from sprouting around 100 seeds of C elegans.  Hope you all are very well!

IMG_7988.JPG

IMG_7989.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Kokioula said:

Aloha everyone, this variegated Calyptrocalyx leaf is too nice to not share. Was blessed by this beauty, from sprouting around 100 seeds of C elegans.  Hope you all are very well!

IMG_7988.JPG

IMG_7989.JPG

Wow that is amazing!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

All beautiful variegated plants. Thanks for sharing. I don't collect variegated plants. But I purchased a Jeff Marcus variety Dypsis Heteromorpha a couple of years ago and it opened a few leafs that look to have a bit of variegation. Not much, but it will still be interesting to see how it develops. 

Heteromorpha.thumb.jpg.d99dfaa054e680dea6628de6f299bcd5.jpg

• Like 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member