IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wholesale Plant Nursery

Jeff Searle

Group of 3gallon Licuala peltata Sumawongii waiting to be repotted.

post-23-1168746634_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Many varieties of crotons I grow.

post-23-1168746683_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Syagrus coronata, waiting for a good home.

post-23-1168746968_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Lots of seed waiting to be planted.

post-23-1168747215_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hey Jeff- Do you have any seedlings/small plants off of that Dypsis onilahensis to show pics of?  (to compare to "slick willys)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 13 2007,22:56)

Syagrus coronata, waiting for a good home.

How about my yard :D

My father bought a good sized one (25-30 gallon) from Mike Evans in St. Pete late last year and Ive now decided that my yard looks incomplete without one :D   These "odd ball" Syagrus are cool palms.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 10 2007,22:26)

This first picture shows a tractor trailer being loaded with 3 gallon size certified Costa Rican coconuts. The seed was imported from Costa Rica.

Jeff-

What variety are Costa Rican Coconuts?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Jeff ....how much for a 3 gallon Carpoxylon macrospermum shipped to california......Great photos by the way.....the watering alone would take days and weeks to perform...

Curt

Cypress, Ca.

Wow. If I lived by you I would be broke. That Areca vestiaria is a sweet palm. I wish we could do those here (amonst others).

Jeff, is all your stuff grown right there? If we see palms the size like the stuff you have, you know it was shipped in from HI.

Do you think those Kentiopsis oliviformis would survive the move to SoCal? Distance for shipping plus the change in Humidity? This would be without a long greenhouse acclimation.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

nice work, Jeff. I hope to visit someday. It looks like quite a big job to stay on top of everything & you obvoiusly do it well.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Dear Jeff  :)

Some of the palms look preety big in size,do your

nursery have its own crane 2 to 4 ton range,Fork

lift mini truck & bob Cat (bulldozer) for your assistance ?

And can i see your farm mechanised tools_shreader,chainsaw,

cutting shears,sprayers_manual & power,garden work gloves..

etc..

I hope to see it,i think iam not asking too much... :D

Thanks/Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Jeff,

Have your WodVeitchias made viable seeds?  Also, which Veitchia was used on your cross?

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

First, I want to say thanks for all the kind remarks. To me, it's more than my job, it's a passion that I have like all the rest of you. We are love these plants and the challenges that go along with it. I'v been fortunate and blessed to be able to have this nursery the way it it is today. And a little hard work at times.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill,

These are the first seeds(3 or 4), that look like they are going to be viable. So I won't know for awhile.

Larry,

The coconuts are certified green malayan.

RadPalms,

My carpoxylons are now really too big to ship in a box. Their easy 4' tall'

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi Phil, Long time no see,Say hello to Jessie 4 me.send me a private message I think this question is 2 hard for Jeff S. to Anwser :( . yes we have had  seed set not many ON What we named "Foxy Lady"Contact me like I say privately and we'll talk more. Regards Mike E. :)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

(Phil @ Jan. 13 2007,09:12)

Jeff and Clayton,

Re the Wodyetia X Veitchia, any flowers?  Seeds?  I haven't heard of viable seeds from the cross but anticipate they should appear.  You guys in Australia would know best on this.  Also, re: Wodyetia crossed with other Veitchia, it wouldn't appear that there's any reason it couldn't be done.

Phil

Hi Phil,

It’s very hard to get an answer some times!  Jeff’s one looks a little different but it could be just wind blown from there storms? If some of the other Veitchia's do cross I would love to see some photos as I have not seen any of the other species cross as of yet! maybe the foxtails are more dominant? and it is a lot harder to pick up! some times the seedlings look a little different but as they get older there is no indications of a cross.

V. Johannis seems to be the only sp that seems to cross well, I know that they have been trying many different sp in Thailand so I will ask Michael in a few weeks how they went with these other ones. You would think that they all would cross just as easy but this does not seem to be the true.

ps As for seeds ask mike he might have a few soon, hope this helps. :)

Clayton.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

:) Nice pic,s. Jeff your Malay Coconuts are green, The Malay is normally GOLD TO YELLOW or are they just normal coconuts FROM Malay.??????.If so can you tell me whats the difference. :)
  • Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

(LJG @ Jan. 13 2007,23:29)

Wow. If I lived by you I would be broke. That Areca vestiaria is a sweet palm. I wish we could do those here (amonst others).

Jeff, is all your stuff grown right there? If we see palms the size like the stuff you have, you know it was shipped in from HI.

Do you think those Kentiopsis oliviformis would survive the move to SoCal? Distance for shipping plus the change in Humidity? This would be without a long greenhouse acclimation.

LJG,

To answer your question, yes, all of my palms are started here. I only have this one location. I buy a fair amount of seedlings, and then grow a majority from seed. The only palm with some size is Cyrtostachys renda(3') that I import in and grow on. As far as Kentiopsis goes, they transplant here with no problems, and I would think they would do OK for a 3-4 day trip out west. From what I hear, many of the New Cald. palms do very well out in Calif. I would do it in the late spring/early summer though.

Phil,

This foxtail cross( in the pic.) is from seed that was mixed in with a big shipment of Wodyetia seed from Australia many years ago. And as big as it is, it has not produced one flower yet.

Mike,

Like I said, these are certified Green Malayan seed from trees in Costa Rica. And as far as I know, there's green and yellow seed produced. The yellow form is not very popular as tree in the landscape.

JEFF

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

HI JEFF so they are just normal coconuts from Costa rica  Most nuts that go under the name MALAY are after the so called dwarf which can get tall, they Never have seeds that are green, {only when not ripe}REGARDS MIKE>E

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

(calyptrocalyx&licuala freck @ Jan. 15 2007,01:57)

HI JEFF so they are just normal coconuts from Costa rica  Most nuts that go under the name MALAY are after the so called dwarf which can get tall, they Never have seeds that are green, {only when not ripe}REGARDS MIKE>E

Mike,

I'm not sure what you mean by a normal coconut.(?) These coconuts are Green Malayan which is a very popular variety here. Farms are now in production in Costa Rica and Jamaica that are producing seeds of this variety. Green malayans can grow over 50' in height. The real dwarfs that I have seen are Fiji or Samoan Dwarfs. I have seen these with seeds nearly touching the ground when their on the trees. And their base of the trunks are very fat.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks like a really top notch operation Jeff.  Plants look immaculate.  Hope to stop by sometime to check things out in person.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 11 2007,16:43)

And I would love to host some kind of board tour. Maybe a little BBQ also.We've done a few over the years already. We had a big group from Palmfest a couple of years ago here. So......you plan it. :D

Bobby,

Well I hope you can make it by here later this spring. I enjoy putting people with faces.

Hum, so Bobby when your spring visit, this would be a great time to put together a palm party.

I'd like to take you up on this offer Jeff.  I'll post a thread to drum up interest, see who might want to go.  Your place was way to much to take in all in 2 hours with hundreds of others. I see by the pictures I missed many stunning things.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

:) Hi Jeff heres what I,ve learnt about C.nucifera over the many years I've been growing palms /plants,Also {hope this information helps out others as well}theres 4 maybe 5 'var of C nucifera the fifth being up here in Far North Queensland,Location of this'var' is at Cape Tribulation,Hoping to get someone to look at this large population.It's not soil or mineral changing the look either.Rich Trapnell ,of Kuranda ,"Rosebud Farm" Rich and I look at these in cultivation alot no difference to those Cape Trib,But heres the others I know of. :)  :C.nucifera {standard coconut wide spread of unknown orgin} :) C.nucifera 'maypan' a commerical developed nut very stout and young to flower. :) C.nucifera 'Malay Gold 'the so called dwarf very old specimens still get  tall, :) C.nucifera'Samoan dwarf' seen this beauty at Curt Butterfields,Port Douglas area ripe seed hanging on the ground multi bunches very slender 2 growth nodes.in all these the fruit is yellow to gold in colour, even most petioles some on the same plant can have green petioles,For me palms are a PASSION & even if it comes to the coconut it'sgreat to hear of another possible 'var' .I'd love to see Pictures of this Malay 'Green' form do you have any large specimens in the ground sounds like you've been growing this 'var' for a while ,be great to see some pictures of your plants. Happy growing Regards Mike E. :)
  • Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

• 2 weeks later...

Had the opportunity to meet Jeff and see his amazing nursery / collection / opereation back in October.   What an incredible experience! Palms I had only seen in pictures!  Jeff was the consumate host & guide; thanks for being so generous with your time, Jeff, and for your patience with all my "amateur" questions!  Drove away with alot of pictures in my mind's eye and one of the palms I had only dreamed of owning.   AND... it's doing great !!!!!  Thanks again, Jeff; it was great looking & reading through this thread!

Tom

Baltimore, Maryland

• 6 years later...

Earlier this week, I had the camera and thought I'd share some pictures of our nursery. I have my father,"Pops" and two brothers along with myself out here. Were a 20 acre nursery and have been open now for 25 years.

This first picture shows a tractor trailer being loaded with 3 gallon size certified Costa Rican coconuts. The seed was imported from Costa Rica. The buyer will be planting these in a field to grow much larger,and then dig out at a future date. Usually they get to about 15' or so before they dig them.

Jeff

That is alot of Coconut palms Jeff. How many came in on that shipment?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B