IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Great Falls Air Route Traffic Control Center

amazondk

I had the unique pleasure of spending a lot of my childhood time at the Air Route Traffic Control Center in Great Falls, Montana where my dad worked. My father, who still lives in Great Falls and is 92 years old, started in aviation as a tower controller in northern Burma in WWII. He was stationed at the air field of Myitkyina which was the transit point for cargo being flown over the hump to southern China at the last part of the war. When he got back to the States he ended up working for the then CAA at the Great Falls airport Air Traffic Control Center. In 1962, when I was 11 years old, the center was transfered to the SAGE Center (semi automated ground environment) at Malmstrom AFB. The SAGE centers around the USA were marvels of the cold war and had the sofistication of a 1987 model PC. This story has a note at the end about Great Falls, SAGE CENTERS.

My father was for some time Assitant Chief at the center and later worked in a regional postion while still at Great Falls. The center was closed in 1976 as the new system for the USA was put into effect and Great Falls was no longer needed. My dad continued to work for a few years there as the FAA liason with the Air Force for northwestern North America. A few years ago I got these old photos while back home. They are a flash from the past and for those either working in aviation or connected to it should have some significance. One of my favorites was sitting by one of the controllers on duty watching SR 71 Blackbirds coming up from Sacramento AFB over Great Falls into Canada. They would normally fliy over around noon most days on training flights make a big sonic boom as they passed by. Watching their tracks on radar was incredible. The other plans looked as if they were almost standing still. Altough I never became a pilot or a controller the experience there always influenced me. I have worked on or around ariports for a large portion of my life. My father had a unique role in the evolution of the aviation industry due to the work at this center.

The MAFB Sage Center

bldg500d.jpg

The Ratdar Terminal , state of art for the early sixties

displaycon.jpg

There were two massive computers on the ground floor that produced enough heat to keep things warm in the Montana winters.

sage_bb14-1.jpg

sage_bb15.jpg

• Like 3

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The people at work at the GTF Air Route Traffic Control Center, early 1960´s.

mafbsage2.jpg

mafbsage6.jpg

mafbsage4.jpg

mafbsage3.jpg

• Like 2

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

mafbsage7-1.jpg

mafbsage8-1.jpg

The Air Force control center had a much different air about it. They called it the Blue Room.

sage_bb10.jpg

This was a war room where operations were run for NORAD. I always like to go to this area when I could. It semed like a science fiction movie.

sage_bb6.jpg

• Like 2

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Wow, that must have been a great experience for you! And watching the SR-71 - that must have been something! :) And looking at these photos, hairstyles, clothes and the fact that they SMOKED in the workplace, that REALLY gives them away as pretty ancient! :lol: But, I certainly remember those days as well!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Oh, yeah, a blast from the past.

I remember the SR-71s as well. They did a fly-by one day at the infamous Norton AFB in San Bernardino while I held an Air Show Party in my back yard that overlooked the base.

Like enormous flying pencils, seen from the side, with flames out the back. We got a sonic boom, but one of the air force guys told me it was nowhere near top speed . . . . :blink:

Times have changed.

Hmm. Smokin' in the control room . . . .

musik29.gif

More pictures!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

My dad smoked until I was about 4 years old and then quite. He then became very anti-smoking. And, due to all the smokers at work in a closed environment was bombarded by secondary smoke for years and came home smelling like a cigarette. Those days fortunately are gone. Regarding the SR 71 in 1970 my dad took me out to the AFB to see one that was in a hanger with a mechaanical up close. It was amazing to me to be close to such a machine. That same week I while I was working fo the airline at the airport on a hill across town I heard this loud roar and looked over toward the AFB to wee what it was. I looked where a plane would be and there was nothing. Then I looked almost straight up and it was the SR 71 in an almost verticle climb. It shot up like a missle and then just went out of sight. it is amazing as well that such a technologically advanced aircraft in a relatively short time from the begining of powered flight. In a little more than a half a century people were regularly flying airplanes at Mach 3.2. The SAGE radar left tracks which relfected the speed of the planes being monitored, which I suppose is still the case. The screen flashed instead of being the traditional radar sweep of non digital radar. The SR 71 left a real long track as it raced across the screen. It was a great moment for a teenager to have. And, I probably am one of the few teenagers to ever have experienced that.

dk

• Like 1

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 9 years later...

I was in the Air Force and worked as a intercept controller at the Sage building on Malstrom AFB in Great Falls from 69 thru 75 then retired and went to work with the FAA as an air traffic controller in the same building until it was closed.  Those pictures really bring back memories.  Controlled a number of SR71's in both the Air Force and the FAA.  They had an air show at the Air Force base while I was there and they brought in a SR71 and had it on display.  I also got to watch it land and take off.  What an incredible aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for posting.  I would have never known about the SR 71, had you not taken the time.  Little did I know that my husband saw one take off in 1975, he was watching it until it took off the runway, and, then it just disappeared.  He said it was astounding, he had never seen anything go that fast. This was in Marysville, CA, near Sacramento where they must have been based.  I find it was interesting because nothing was built of that design in later years.  I guess I will have to query my daughter who is an aeronautical engineer to get more information.  Cecile

• 11 months later...

I found this forum concerning the Great Falls, Montana FAA Air Route Traffic Control Center located on Malmstrom AFB where my father was the Center Chief from 1966 to 1970.  The Center was closed in 1976.  I'm interested in communicating with anyone who worked there or had any knowledge of this ARTCC.

• Like 1

Is there any waterfall at Great Falls? I believe the town is on the Missouri River.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Yes the Missouri River does run through Great Falls, MT.  There are 3 rivers that form the Missouri in Montana.  And the Missouri runs through where I live now in KC.  

• Upvote 1