• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2011 in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Nearly hit 25C today. Blowing a gale as storms approach ever nearer. Friends from NZ went down the beach. I came inside from planting some clivias and my wife had the fan going in the living room. I laughed when I saw it on in the middle of winter. It really felt like spring and you could smell the spring blossoms in the air.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Nearly hit 25C today. Blowing a gale as storms approach ever nearer. Friends from NZ went down the beach. I came inside from planting some clivias and my wife had the fan going in the living room. I laughed when I saw it on in the middle of winter. It really felt like spring and you could smell the spring blossoms in the air.

Best regards

Tyrone

Lucky you Tyrone. Snow down to sea level forecasted for some parts of NZ. Was thinking about starting the annual spring garden tidy up but might put that off for a bit :unsure: .

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Week 9 without a drop of rain. Planted a few things this morning and each one took ages to water in. The soil just absorbs it as fast as I can hose it on. Luckily for my new seedlings, last night wasnt so cold as it has been this week. It was still 9C when I went to bed at 3am. I've started work on the 'new' area in front of the house. 2.5 years ago it was just like brick with weeds and had been ignored. When I had the concrete path put in, I decided to make a feature of the area between the path and the house. Many bags of gypsum, compost, shredded paper, manures and bales of lucerne later, its finally viable soil and I can fill in the big gaps between the mule, dwarf phoenix, and angel's trumpets I put in 18 months ago. Could this be the beginnings of a front yard that I am actually not ashamed of ? Stay tuned for further updates.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Best regards

Tyrone

Lucky you Tyrone. Snow down to sea level forecasted for some parts of NZ. Was thinking about starting the annual spring garden tidy up but might put that off for a bit :unsure: .

Yikes. Are you expecting snow where you are?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Week 9 without a drop of rain. Planted a few things this morning and each one took ages to water in. The soil just absorbs it as fast as I can hose it on. Luckily for my new seedlings, last night wasnt so cold as it has been this week. It was still 9C when I went to bed at 3am. I've started work on the 'new' area in front of the house. 2.5 years ago it was just like brick with weeds and had been ignored. When I had the concrete path put in, I decided to make a feature of the area between the path and the house. Many bags of gypsum, compost, shredded paper, manures and bales of lucerne later, its finally viable soil and I can fill in the big gaps between the mule, dwarf phoenix, and angel's trumpets I put in 18 months ago. Could this be the beginnings of a front yard that I am actually not ashamed of ? Stay tuned for further updates.

Peachy

We've had like 375mm of rain so far this winter up until yesterday and hadn't had rain for a few days and the 25C day and drying winds just ripped the moisture out of the top soil. It's easy to forget what dry weather is like when you've had a bit of rain and everything is moist and looking after itself. Can only imagine what hard clay would be like with no real rain for 9 weeks. It doesn't take up water that quickly once it's that hard and dry. At least you don't have water repellency though. It sounds like the hard work building up your soil is paying off though.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, in the areas that have had little or no improvements soil wise, the water just bounces off the surface. I spend more on the soil improvers than I do on palms I think.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Getting blown away over here at the moment. Strong cold front coming through, but most of the activity is south of Perth. Possible small hail tonight. :( Then a high moves in and warm weather is forecast for the weekend with 3, 23C days forecast in a row. Just when I fly to Broome. Weather's better up there anyway. 33,34C and blue skies.

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Fortunately where I live will escape any snow. But we will still get all the cold air which means cold nights. It was 0.7c here this morning. Poor old garden will be shivering. :(

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Saw on the news that it was snowing in Wellington......brrrrrr

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Yesterday afternoons thunderstorm with heavy freezing rain and hail for 10 minutes was enough to finish the palms that were just holding on after this winter. Very lucky the hail was perfectly round pea size, so no damage. 22deg c most days, stunning weather, loads of moisture in the air, heavy morning dews, planted a few palms in safe spots. All Good.

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Fortunately where I live will escape any snow. But we will still get all the cold air which means cold nights. It was 0.7c here this morning. Poor old garden will be shivering. :(

0.7C is cold enough. Especially if it didn't bounce back to 18C during the day.

I've never actually seen snow in real life before. It never happens in the west of Oz, except on odd occasions every few years for a few hrs on top of one of the mountains down south, but I've been told it's more like an icy slush when you walk the 4 hrs to the top. To think of palms covered in snow is just wrong.

Best regards

Tyrone

Got a few seconds of small hail just before midnight lastnight. It woke me up. Had a look on the front lawn a few seconds later and it looked like it had already melted. I expected to see pockets of white everywhere by the noise it made, but I think the warm air temps (around 13C) may have been on our side. Don't know how the coconut took it. It was just cracking a new spear open. :( They're always a bit tender at that stage.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yesterday afternoons thunderstorm with heavy freezing rain and hail for 10 minutes was enough to finish the palms that were just holding on after this winter. Very lucky the hail was perfectly round pea size, so no damage. 22deg c most days, stunning weather, loads of moisture in the air, heavy morning dews, planted a few palms in safe spots. All Good.

Have you lost stuff so far Peter? Has this been a colder than average winter for you?

Best regards

Tyrone

Have you lost stuff so far Peter? Has this been a colder than average winter for you?

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes Tyrone, Ive Lost a few things, mainy new arrivals that were planted late feb, which is a bit late to get them climatised here imo,all in all gardens looking great at tailend of winter. As mentioned above, the weathers turned enough to slowly start planting. Cheers Pete

Ty,

A friend is in Perth at the moment... and he reckoned someone put the ac outside!!! I had to laugh... see... it is not just me!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, the last couple of days have been cold. We won't dispense with the gas heater at night until mid October when we get mid teens at night. But for Perth we're having a warmish August. About a degree warmer than average. Your friend should have been here last winter. He would have frozen solid the moment he walked out the front door.

I think my coconut has now forgotten what Kunnunura was like and is now a fully fledged Perthite. The hail didn't even touch it. It continued opening a new spear. I had to do repairs to it's enclosure yesterday morning though. The weather ripped it up a bit. It's staying a nice shade of green and pushing forward. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

23C today and in the twenties for a few days. Then back to high teens and rain. But it looks like a few 20 plus days before Sept.

Spring is only 12 days away people!!!!!!!!! :D

Well in the south anyway.

Best regards

Tyrone

Got to just shy of 24C today and the flying ants are out by the millions. That marks the changing of the seasons over here. :D

Tyrone

23C today and in the twenties for a few days. Then back to high teens and rain. But it looks like a few 20 plus days before Sept.

Spring is only 12 days away people!!!!!!!!! :D

Well in the south anyway.

Best regards

Tyrone

That's right. Currently doing the annual spring hack back ready for the coming growing season. :yay:

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

12 more days before scorching heat & high humidity? Bring it on.... Oh, I'd better clean the ac filter....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Daytime....shorts, tshirt and big sunhat. Nightime, PJs, 2 nighties, a knee length jumper and 2 dogs under the doona. Need I say more ?

Peachy

27.35 south.

Had a nice steady 74mm last two days and still raining, a fantastic end to winter.Lots of planting to be had this spring.

Had a nice steady 74mm last two days and still raining, a fantastic end to winter.Lots of planting to be had this spring.

Another 58mm, heading for a ripper of a Spring.

You don't often see these type of warnings regarding the surf......Wal

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for Dangerous Surf

For coastal communities between Sandy Cape and Point Danger.

Issued at 10:50 am on Tuesday 23 August 2011

Synoptic Situation: A trough situated in the southern Coral Sea is expected to

continue moving slowly west and approach the southeast Queensland coast during

Wednesday. A large high in the southern Tasman Sea extends a ridge across

southeast Australia. These two systems are combining to produce a strong SE'ly

flow and large E to SE swells across southern Queensland waters.

Dangerous surf conditions are expected about coastal areas between Sandy Cape

and Point Danger during Tuesday and will persist through Wednesday. These

conditions are then expected to ease on Wednesday night.

Surf Life Saving Australia recommends that you stay out of the water and stay

well away from the surf-exposed areas.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You don't often see these type of warnings regarding the surf......Wal

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING

for Dangerous Surf

For coastal communities between Sandy Cape and Point Danger.

Issued at 10:50 am on Tuesday 23 August 2011

Synoptic Situation: A trough situated in the southern Coral Sea is expected to

continue moving slowly west and approach the southeast Queensland coast during

Wednesday. A large high in the southern Tasman Sea extends a ridge across

southeast Australia. These two systems are combining to produce a strong SE'ly

flow and large E to SE swells across southern Queensland waters.

Dangerous surf conditions are expected about coastal areas between Sandy Cape

and Point Danger during Tuesday and will persist through Wednesday. These

conditions are then expected to ease on Wednesday night.

Surf Life Saving Australia recommends that you stay out of the water and stay

well away from the surf-exposed areas.

The surfies will be throwing sickies. :D

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Just got back from Broome. Beautiful up there but surprisingly coolish at night. Low to high teens at night and 32C every day with not a cloud in the sky. Gusty easterlies and bushfires to the north of Cable Beach. Back to reality down here now with the heater going. Had a min of 12.9C overnight and 5mm of rain overnight. Had a run of 20 plus's while I was away with a max of 26.3C on Sunday and mins around 14.3C, and around 40mm of rain after the 26.3C day. Coconut has bolted ahead with growth and is opening a nice big spear. From tomorrow we have about 5 good days 20C and above, but cool single digits at night. We're about 20mm off our winter average rainfall and there have been 100 year floods down south at Donnybrook. Winter wants to end. Spring is a week away. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

A nice rain just hit my house. It is probably related to the cold fron that that hit southern Brazil earlier in the week. At least that is what it seems like. Anyway it is nice hear rain hit the roof.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Breaking Weather News - Wettest winter for Perth in 8 years

ROBERT WOOD, 24 AUGUST 2011

Perth has picked up 445mm of rain so far this winter, which is the highest total in 8 years.

This means the long-term winter average for Perth of 479mm (based on more than 120 years of records) is close to being met. The last time Perth met the long-term winter average was back in 2000, when there had 497mm through the season. The city has already more than doubled last August's 55mm and still has a week to add to the winter total.

Unfortunately the rainfall outlook for the last week of August is not looking as wet as previous weeks. It looks as though we will see less than 10mm over the next week, with only a few brief showers today and again over the weekend.

Most of the Southwest Land Division looks to have neared the long term winter average this year, with the Lower West and Southwest Districts benefiting the most. The majority of the wheat belt has seen 80-90% of the long term winter average rainfall. A few small pockets, mainly east of York, have recorded more than 100% of their annual winter rain. After years of below average rain, a winter nearing the long-term average is a more than welcome change.

We had catastrophic fire warnings for the first time ever in Darwin.... It was dry in the past few days and of course total fire banning.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We had catastrophic fire warnings for the first time ever in Darwin.... It was dry in the past few days and of course total fire banning.

Wow you are really copping it up there Ari, weve had 163mm in the last four days which has been excellent, great to be out in it planting, Oh what a feeling :D

It is ok.... Pete.... in a few weeks.... hopefully the STORMS are back!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The area north of Broome has had a huge fire burning for about 10 days. At least it was still burning yesterday.

We have been having some rain lately which is a nice change. And, it brings the temperatures down a bit. I hope it continues.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Goodbye winter, hello spring.

Saturday Mostly sunny. Min 5 Max 21Sunday Mostly sunny. Min 5 Max 22Monday Sunny. Min 8 Max 24Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 8 Max 25Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 11 Max 25Thursday Cloud increasing. Late showers. Min 12 Max 23

Best regards

Tyrone

Beatiful Sunshine today after 5 days of beautiful rain ( 171 mm total) Planting has begun and so has spring. :D :D

Marvellous Sunshine after days of steady rainfall, just under 8 inches in the past 6 days. A Bumper Spring has Sprung :D

23deg when we went to work this morning.... It is warming up..... Bring on the storm!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

23deg when we went to work this morning.... It is warming up..... Bring on the storm!!!

Hope it comes soon for you Ari, I must say, the electrical storms you get up there are " out of this world". i find them very uplifting and energizing :D

Ari, you can sure feel the change. Noonamah AWS went from minimum this morning of 17.4C to maximum of 37.2c. Middle Point went from 17.2C to 37.3C. Minimum my place was 18.0C but only got up to 36.8C. Looks like temps are back up to about normal for this time of year. And at the chasers site they're getting ready to start using the "B" word.

Warm foggy nights well into the double figures and almost hot days. I think the year of the endless winter is over. Been planting and doing seeds, repotting, the whole bit. Even with this tenacious flu bug gnawing at me, I am able to maintain enthusiasm.

Peachy

27.35 south.