• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2011 in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Ended up with 161mm of rain for July and 171.4mm for June. Looking at all the different BOM weather station statistics still operating in the Perth metro area they are actually above average statistics, yet the media is reporting that we slightly missed out on the average. Had a look at the Water Corporation's website and they also say that we just missed out on average rainfall for the last two months, and checking their "average" figures, they don't correlate to any official station anywhere in the metro area. They may be pulling figures from a station that was closed in 1992, but even then they're not quite the same. Not really scientific. However allowing the media to say that we had "above average rainfall" would go against the grain at the moment. I hope we get flooded in August.

All the lakes are filled and even the compensating basin at the end of my street which is normally bone dry, and if it fills at all drains away within hours has stayed full for the last few days. More thunderstorms coming today.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

A bit of rain here wouldn't go astray. But humidity dropped to 25% yesterday (my place), today it was down to 21%. This morning minimum was 14.4C, this afternoon got up to 33.8C. At least we're into the last month of winter now, last 2 months of the dry season.

Ari, haven't look at the chasers site virtually since the end of the wet season. I wouldn't mind a heat low forming over the Kimberley, like it used to do years ago. But in recent times it's been forming closer to the Pilbara and just helping to circulate hot dry air over us.

My bore's doing a lot of work these days. But my dam still has about 0.75m of water in it. Means the water table is still around 4.5m below the surface. That's fairly high for this time of year here.

By the way, have you noticed the BOM has dropped Middle Point AWS from its web site?

Zig,

PNG is a place I have always wanted to visit. I don´t know if I will ever make it, but it is still on my list. Although both Australia and Brazil are in the same hemisphere there definately are some differnt factors at work. As far as goes Amazzonia has 5,500,000 sq. kms in Amazonia vs 7,768,000 sq. kms in Australia. I don´t know if that means much. But, Australia being so dry overall and Amazonia being so wet would mean both would impact the surrounding regions. Actually there are spots of savanna scattered naturally around Amazonia. Some of them occupying pretty large areas of land.

Yesterday was a classic dry season Sunday. I wish I had been over at my place by the beach.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Really? No more middle point? Oh no. I will ask NAC

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Less than a month to spring now. Bring it on. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

24 degrees in Sydney tomorrow. Warm days with maximums of 23 lately. The BOM report for July states that it too had above average temps, despite those few cold and wet days when the maximum temp lingered at 13 degrees.Interestingly, I just read that landscapers here are not ordering more plants from Queensland as they are increasingly better suited to the climate.

Cheers

It's the middle of what has been a long, chilly winter (for us). However, the last few days in Melbourne have nudged past 20C ( today hit 23C...instead of the usual 14C or so) and tonight the MINIMUM will be 16C !! Melbourne is going to be warmer than Broome tonight. What the ?? blink.gif I am in shorts and t-shirt - at the beginning of August !!

The dream ends on Friday though, we're back to normal winter temperatures. I am sure my palms enjoyed the 4 day respite though !

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Really?? it was 14 deg minimum yesterday here, Michael... What has our weather become???

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Worst winter since I've been growing palms by a long way.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Really?? it was 14 deg minimum yesterday here, Michael... What has our weather become???

Ahh well...will be in Jakarta by Saturday anyway Ari...so I don't mind too much laugh.gif

Regards

Michael

Ramadhan, Michael.... what are you doing in Jakarta during Ramadhan?

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ramadhan, Michael.... what are you doing in Jakarta during Ramadhan?

Yeah, I know. No choice..... issues in the kantor.

It is 27 C at 0700 am and not a cloud in the sky. I think today will be a 40 C day for sure.

DK

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Back to normal winter temps here now. Back up to 22C on Saturday. Been wet. Water everywhere. Dams starting to go straight vertical on the graph.

Tyrone

Flooding rains in south Brazil last days.Since yesterday , an icy wind from West. Freezes were predicted for last night but clouds prevented it. Today a cloudy ,gray day,temperature this morning 2.9C .Yesterday it snowed in a city in Paraná (Palmas). If we would have high mountain peaks here,they probably would be white today....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto,

I have been watching the weather on the news. It is cold down there right now. I hope it rains a bit soon here. It is on the dry side so far this amazonian summer season. There was dense fog yesterday in the area of Tabatinga on the Colombian border, friagem, as a result of a bit of influence pushing north from the cold front in the south. But, it not get over to these parts. The heat is on full force.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

[We are lucky it´s never dry here. Sometimes in August it ´s dry.

But last two days it rained 208 mm here!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

That is a lot of rain Alberto. August and September are the two driest months in this part of Amazonia. And, therefore the hottest. It is a great time to be at the beach on the Rio Negro.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

From weatherzone:

"Melbourne's warm weather is breaking records, but the cold weather is set to return tomorrow.

Yesterday's top temperature of 23.2 degrees was the highest ever for the first half of August in 157 years.

The weather bureau's Scott Williams says it was also the warmest August night on record, with a minimum temperature of 17.3 degrees.

The previous record high was 16.2 degrees, set in 1885.

"So it's an exceptionally warm spell for early August."

He says the warm weather is due to a high pressure system in the Tasman Sea.

"That drags air a long way north, up over central Australia and southern Queensland all the way south to Victoria," Mr Williams said.

But the unseasonable weather will not stay around.

"Today is the last of those warm days but certainly it's been quite exceptional for this time of the year," he said.

"Seventeen degrees tomorrow before the rain sets in around the middle of the day, and it should be fairly wet through the afternoon and then a showery weekend."

Good to see you getting some rain Tyrone...those dams over there are seriously low.

Regards

Michael.

Enjoy your warm weather Michael.

Sunny at the moment with a high pressure over us. Went down to around 4C lastnight, and going for 17C today. It's still and sunny. The break from the rain gives me some time to maybe finish my retic upgrade at least in the garden beds.

Yes, those dams need water, but we just don't have enough of them and there is basically nowhere to put any more in. You need the right geography for a dam. To give you an idea, SE QLD's Wivenhoe dam is 3 times bigger than all of Perth's dams combined. Our biggest Dam, the South Dandalup Dam is 138 Gigalitre capacity and has never been more than 60% full. It's at 8% full at the moment. The stream flow into that dam is a measly 18.8 Gigalitres a year. If no water was extracted from it, it would take 7 years to fill.

Lake Argyle is at 123% at the moment but peaked at 205% back in April, which equated to 23 Tetra Litres or 23000 Gigalitres. At it's emptiest back in the 90's at 18% full it still held 2000 Gigalitres. Perths total dam capacity is 600 Gigalitres. Just a bit of the excess piped down from the Ord into the dams wouldn't even be noticed by anyone up there.

Going down to 3C tonight. But hey it's August and you've got to expect that here in August. Spring in 4 weeks. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Poor Tyrone.... Perth is getting dryer and dryer and nothing was done about it. And to think all the income coming in from all those mines....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, my reticulation is now a 10 station set up. My bore water level hasn't really dropped and when you look at all the water around you can see why. I've got tonnes of water right underneath me so I think I'm fine. Will finish the front garden beds tomorrow. Put in 93 outlets on one zone today. :D

Looking into the crystal ball and the patterns our rainfall sort of follows (ie good year, bad year, good year, bad year etc) the rains will stop around the end of October and we'll end up with about 40% in the dams. Still not good, but 5% higher than when we went into last summer. So if they horribly restrict us this year if we get to 40%, they are being quite inconsistent.

Best regards

Tyrone

What would we do without our bores, hey??? Wonderful things they are :D

10 station??? I have 11 station.... only 1 spare remaining... Scott already told me he needs a slave controller so he can put more lines in.....

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I miss my bore! No rain here for weeks and I am hosing every day. The fine warm days make it pleasant enough but the sun is sucking the water out as fast as I can squirt it on. I am not game enough to use the sprinklers however as the nights are still dropping to 4 or 5 and we have a freeze predicted early next week. I have started the spring feeding early as everything has grown this year all through this long cold winter for some unknown reason. Have so much in pots now, but the ground is way too hard to even think about trying to dig holes so I have to wait and hope for a wet spring.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

What would we do without our bores, hey??? Wonderful things they are :D

10 station??? I have 11 station.... only 1 spare remaining... Scott already told me he needs a slave controller so he can put more lines in.....

I'd have a totally different garden without a bore.

You can get controllers that expand out. Mine will expand out to 13 stations. Proper agricultural ones can have up to 50 odd stations. They wouldn't be cheap though.

Set up the front garden bed today with 82 outlets. Totally sick of installing outlets and 4mm tubing now. Got the whole property with an outlet on every in ground plant except for the bamboo avenue which will take 5 minutes to finish. Then I've got to do the nursery pot stake zone. I'm trying to stop overhead watering as much as possible due to the high iron in my water.

It was a sunny 17C day today after a min of 3.9C. 6C tonight and 22C tomorrow, so sort of what you're getting Peachy. Then the rain starts again. The coconut was sitting in 27C today and is still growing. No black marks so far this year, and it's barely yellowed. I think my big P elegans has yellowed more. Strange.

Best regards

Tyrone

We had some hail today with a thunderstorm, about pea-zized. This follows 10 days in a row of above 20c maximums, including one of 25.7c.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

The weather has been beautiful here lately, although we could do with some rain. 30mm in the last 7 weeks here, so really quite dry. There are a few clouds around today, for the first time in ages, so that is a good sign, along with increased humidity.

Today was a balmy 25C, and there were a lot of people down at the beach. hopefully spring is just around the corner...

post-42-076046900 1312700800_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl,

That looks like a nice day at the beach.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The weather has been beautiful here lately, although we could do with some rain. 30mm in the last 7 weeks here, so really quite dry. There are a few clouds around today, for the first time in ages, so that is a good sign, along with increased humidity.

Today was a balmy 25C, and there were a lot of people down at the beach. hopefully spring is just around the corner...

Daryl

I hope you are right........been quite warm for a week or so here.....My Sealing Wax Palm seems to have survived it's second (and coldest) winter outside and is pushing up a new frond. My large clump of Heliconia 'Hot Rio Nites' is pushing up a new flush of flowers too.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Daryl

That's why coconuts grow for you up there without plastic tents. :D

It was a warm 21C day here today after a 11C min and 3mm of overnight rain. Mild weather. Hot in the car when it's been left in the sun.

Best regards

Tyrone

The sun was intense today. I wish it would rain. I am afraid to even think about how baked my place in the country is. At least the bridge across the Negro River is now firm for October and next year things should be different.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Big high blocking cold fronts sitting directly over us at the moment. Days are sunny and nights are cold. Dropped down to 4.4C this morning, but then up to 19C. The high goes east by Sat and we get some nice cold front and rain activity on Sat night and we stay in a westerly stream for a good while. Looking at the 28 day rain forecast, it looks like the rain stops almost at Sept 1 for a good while. If the BOM is right about a rapid warmup in spring (80% chance above average temps) and we get the increased rainfall they're predicting come late Sept to January, then I think we may have a great growing season ahead of us. Here's hoping. :D

Only 3 weeks to go until winter is gone. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Colder nights are back here now.....at 2am this morning I was 130km west of Rockhampton and it was 3 degrees, was glad to get back to Gladstone at 5am where it was 10 degrees.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

A few warmish nights made me bold enough to order some seedlings from up north. Naturally when they arrived yesterday, we had the coldest night for weeks. So far they are hanging there but hopefully it just has to warm up soon. 5 months of winter is enough.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

I'll be glad when this winter is over. Today minimum was 17.2C and maximum 34.6C. It feels warm because the winter mornings have been so cold but is really only around average. No rain since mid April. Only a couple of weeks to spring, 6 weeks to wet season.

sick and tired of this dry season!!! Everything is dry and dusty!!! Bring on the wet!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

sick and tired of this dry season!!! Everything is dry and dusty!!! Bring on the wet!!!

Yep very dry here Ari, bushfire season has started and they are everywhere....despite the dry conditions the garden is holding up ok.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Got to 24C today. Thunderstorms tonight. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

There has been a mass of hot dry air sitting over much of Brazil for some time now. This has created unusual low relative humidity in our region. The relative humidity briefly dipped below 20 percent the other day. Of course this has brought all kinds of media attention as this rarely ever happens. Rightnow at 6 am the humidity is 78 percent which is about normal I think for this time of year and the temperature at 26 C. The urban sprawl of Manaus and the conversion of forest to asphalt and building undoubtedly also has an impace on the humidity. It looks like a another sunny hot day on the way today. Only Tuesday does the forecast show a good chance of rain.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg