• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2011 in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

My place is inland (50 kms) so maximums and minimums are correspondingly higher and lower. My average minimum for June was 12.0 and maximum 30.2.

July has started off well, after a maximum yesterday (last day of June) of 32.8, my minimum this morning was 19.4 at 7:40AM. At 3:20AM it was 23.4. The official Noonamah AWS (about 5 kms from my place) recorded a minimum of 18.2. It looks like they got less breeze during the night than I did.

But the weather bureau says by next week more cold and dry southeasterlies will move in and we'll be back below average. :(

What the??? I am worried what I might find when I get home :unsure: . I don't think I can face another death!!!!

What is your coldest, Zig. Mine is usually between Noonamah & Middle Point. I just hope this won't continue for too long, otherwise I won't have any ultra tropical stuff left.

Anyway, the weather surely has been pretty weird. Sitting down here in Jakarta... not sweating my head off and experienced a few rains too... Weird!! This is supposed to be their hot and dry season??

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

10.30pm Perth is 6.5C, airport is 3.8C!!!!!!!!! I hope a breeze picks up soon.blink.gif

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ari, I'd recommend you bring a few extra suitcase loads of that air from Jakarta. Start of July is up on June but I don't like the look of that combination of low and high pressure systems coming across the GA Bight. That could bring in another mass of cold dry air. Looking at my weather station records I get the idea we're just not getting the winds. Daytime there's a little wind, nights are virtually dead calm, except for along the coast.

My place varies a lot between Middle Point and Noonamah readings. Absolutely no night breezes all round and I'm warmer than those. But which ever does get the breezes comes out a little higher. One night my minimum was a bit higher than Darwin and Noonamah was 4 lower. It's too erratic to generalise.

I've been told that Cyrtosperma johnstonii is ultra sensitive but mine's okay. My Cyrtostachys renda that's fully exposed in the open isn't showing any effects. My biggest worry is possible irrigation failures like I had the other week. The air is getting quite dry during the day and that's usually when there's some winds. But as they're saying on the chasers site, wet season is only 12 weeks away.

Zig, that mass of cold dry air is sitting over us at the moment. A minimum of 1.3C this morning. That shatters my theories of a warm winter and nothing below 3C this year. The warm ocean temps did nothing. We're definitely deep in the bowels of winter at the moment down here.

On the up side the only crispy area was about 15cm back from the kerb on the verge where some dew had turned solid on the tips of the couch grass in a small patch, so no crispiness within the property boundary. The coconut bottomed out at 5C and at 8am was basking in sun. The thermometer under my back patio bottomed out at 4.5C so I don't envisage any damage. Also there is not a cloud in the sky, so we'll get some great soil warming conditions for the full sun stuff today. The trouble is we've got 3 more nights of this before we start to climb out of this rut and hopefully not see it quite as cold for another year. unsure.gif

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ari, I'd recommend you bring a few extra suitcase loads of that air from Jakarta. Start of July is up on June but I don't like the look of that combination of low and high pressure systems coming across the GA Bight. That could bring in another mass of cold dry air. Looking at my weather station records I get the idea we're just not getting the winds. Daytime there's a little wind, nights are virtually dead calm, except for along the coast.

My place varies a lot between Middle Point and Noonamah readings. Absolutely no night breezes all round and I'm warmer than those. But which ever does get the breezes comes out a little higher. One night my minimum was a bit higher than Darwin and Noonamah was 4 lower. It's too erratic to generalise.

I've been told that Cyrtosperma johnstonii is ultra sensitive but mine's okay. My Cyrtostachys renda that's fully exposed in the open isn't showing any effects. My biggest worry is possible irrigation failures like I had the other week. The air is getting quite dry during the day and that's usually when there's some winds. But as they're saying on the chasers site, wet season is only 12 weeks away.

I would if I could, Zig. Nice and warm over here without being too hot. I will have to check out what chasers are saying.... I hope this won't continue for too long!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

1.8C this morning. Marginally warmer. MSLP 1032hPa. So it should be a clear sunny day. Yesterday only reached the mid teens and today will be the same. The coconut was basking in 32C sun yesterday inside it's alfresco tent. :)

1.8C this morning. Marginally warmer. MSLP 1032hPa. So it should be a clear sunny day. Yesterday only reached the mid teens and today will be the same. The coconut was basking in 32C sun yesterday inside it's alfresco tent. :)

We have had days with highs of 21 and lows of 14 the last few days - if only every day in July was like that! Starting tomorrow we will days of 9min to max of 16 - very cold. I wouldn't mind basking along with that coconut. Out of curiosity, how does an open tent maintain such heat?

The cold persists in southern Brazil with temperatures in the mountains gettinig down to around minus 10 C. Here in the north the days are hot and sun can be brutal. But, that is normal for the dry season which is now here. As you can see by the attached map of predicted lows for today there is a wide range of temperatures across the country. Since Brazil spans the equator the dual hemisphere effect is interesting. The news last night said an even stronger cold front is on it´s way from Argentina.

dk

post-188-021452300 1309860019_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

We have had days with highs of 21 and lows of 14 the last few days - if only every day in July was like that! Starting tomorrow we will days of 9min to max of 16 - very cold. I wouldn't mind basking along with that coconut. Out of curiosity, how does an open tent maintain such heat?

There is about 300kg of stones across the entire base of the tent touching the trunk of the coconut. The sun even in winter has some power and will heat things up provided you keep the cold southerly winds out. The thermometer is normally in the shade of the coconut so the 32C is not direct sun falling on it giving a false reading. The roof is open on the tent, but it's about 2m tall. Closer to the opening would be cooler of course because the breeze can get in easier up there. The coconut is planted up close to the north facing cream wall of my house, and the other side is an asbestos fence with my tunnel house on the other side. Both of those walls are quite high and my house is double brick, so their is some good thermal mass there. All in all it's a good protected spot in the full sun which the cold winds can't hit directly. The only times it gets strong winds is when a northerly comes through and they're normally warm just before a cold front hits. I find coconuts to be cold root sensitive but less cold leaf sensitive. I find that bottle palms burn their leaves from cold much easier than a coconut. So a few leaves hanging out only create a bit of cosmetic damage mostly.

Best regards

Tyrone

There is about 300kg of stones across the entire base of the tent touching the trunk of the coconut. The sun even in winter has some power and will heat things up provided you keep the cold southerly winds out. The thermometer is normally in the shade of the coconut so the 32C is not direct sun falling on it giving a false reading. The roof is open on the tent, but it's about 2m tall. Closer to the opening would be cooler of course because the breeze can get in easier up there. The coconut is planted up close to the north facing cream wall of my house, and the other side is an asbestos fence with my tunnel house on the other side. Both of those walls are quite high and my house is double brick, so their is some good thermal mass there. All in all it's a good protected spot in the full sun which the cold winds can't hit directly. The only times it gets strong winds is when a northerly comes through and they're normally warm just before a cold front hits. I find coconuts to be cold root sensitive but less cold leaf sensitive. I find that bottle palms burn their leaves from cold much easier than a coconut. So a few leaves hanging out only create a bit of cosmetic damage mostly.

Best regards

Tyrone

That's very interesting. Out of curiosity, what type of stones are they? Are they used to retain/reflect heat?

The stone I bought from Bunnings and is polished river stone. They retain and I suppose reflect heat. Really they add thermal mass which makes the microclimate in there more stable.

It was down to 4C in the garden this morning...brrr!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Sick of this cold weather. Admittedly last night was above 5C at 6.5C but the days have been around 15-17C which is just too cold. We have just had the coldest run of July days since 1986 supposedly. Spent the last few days down at Albany on the south coast which has been warmer than Perth at night (around 8C) due to cloud cover and rain, but freezing and damp during the day (13,14C). Mists were forming in the valleys as early as 3pm. Feeling cold and clammy is very uncomfortable. Got back to Perth yesterday and the difference is clear, as it's drier and the daytime air doesn't have that cold bite too it.

Back up to 20-22C for a few days mid next week, and nights in the high singles to low teens. That will feel toasty in comparison. :D

A good example of how the breeze affects the night temperatures this time of year when the air is fairly dry. These are the temperatures recorded by my weather station at my place last night.

6:00PM 28.7C, shortly before breeze stopped.

9:00PM 19.1C, no breeze since 6:10PM

12 midnight 16C still no breeze

3:20AM 19.8C, breeze picked up 1:00AM

4:40AM 19.7C, still some breeze

7:30AM 13.9C, breeze stopped 5:30AM

Temperatures bottomed out at midnight, and then again at 7:30AM.

So what I need is a huge fan directing air at my place during the calm nights.

I just noticed the wind chill at Thredbo Top station got down to -29.2c this morning: temp -6.2c and winds 106km/h gusting to 133km/h

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Utterly freezing at the moment. 14C at 1pm and cloudy with very cold winds from the East. It's a very weird synoptic situation at the moment. The pressure is high but is dropping, but it's cloudy not clear. A heap of cloud is coming down from the north off the tropical Indian Ocean and bringing rain with it. No point going north to get away from the cold. Everywhere from Albany to Carnarvon (24S) is 14C. Geraldton is closer to 13C. Exmouth in the tropics is 18C, and Onslow is 19C!!!!!, and it's raining. Weird.

All the grey nomads who went north to escape winter will be wet and cold up there unless they made it past Broome.blink.gif

They are all in Darwin, Tyrone... no joke. Before we left for holiday, we tried to get our car serviced and we have been told that the Nissan service centre is so overly busy with tourists more so than previous years... Apparently more tourists have gone to the Top End, because some parts of QLD are still ruined from the cyclone :(

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

They are all in Darwin, Tyrone... no joke. Before we left for holiday, we tried to get our car serviced and we have been told that the Nissan service centre is so overly busy with tourists more so than previous years... Apparently more tourists have gone to the Top End, because some parts of QLD are still ruined from the cyclone :(

That must be annoying. Some businesses will do well from it though (4WD service centres).

Had 3mm of rain overnight and another 14C today. I'm getting a bit concerned now with the amount of mid teen days we've had in a row, at least for my coconut. The last couple of days have seen no sun and today will be the same. I marked the spear last Mon and by Friday it had moved about 2.5cm which I thought was great considering the very cold mornings we'd been having. But if we don't get any direct sunlight soon, it may be in trouble. :( The weather we're getting lately is Melbourne winter weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

Ari should have bought a Ford :P Meanwhile back in Brisbane, it's COLD nights but fine warm and sunny during the day. (if you call 20 warm) A few sub zero nights have left some the banana plants a bit yellow and the Pritchardia thurstoniis look more like decayed lettuce than palms, but they have come back every other year. Since the heating died, it goes down to 9 or 10 in the house at night, so poor me, who usually leaves the heating on all night, has to sleep in PJs, 2 nighties, bedsox and a big jumper. I look like a hibernating bear with so many layers on. 2 shivering poochies make nice back and belly warmers however.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

No wonder I've felt cold.

Breaking Weather News - Half a century since Perth has stayed this cold

BRETT DUTSCHKE, 11 JULY 2011

Perth has just had its coldest day in two years, and is having its longest run of days below 17 degrees in 51 years, according to weatherzone.com.au.

Cloud and rain today kept the city from warming past 13 degrees, five below the July average maximum, making it the coldest day since June 2009.

Perth has now failed to warm to 17 degrees in each of the last 10 days, the longest run this cold since the winter of 1960, when there were also 10 days. It was slightly colder during the 1960 run, with maximums averaging 15.1 degrees, compared to 15.5 this time around.

1938 was the last time there was a longer run as cold as the current one, 12 days. The record is 16 days, way back in 1908.

The current chilly run is about to end with help from clearing skies.

From Tuesday, sunshine will combine with warmer northeasterly winds, giving Perth and much of the west coast their best chance to warm to their average maximum for the first time this month. Geraldton will also get there, hitting 20 on Tuesday or Wednesday for the first time since June.

This will be a relief for those who have struggled to stay warm. Today, it only reached nine degrees in Bickley, Hyden and Newdegate.

All the grey nomads who went north to escape winter will be wet and cold up there unless they made it past Broome.blink.gif

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

In a deep Leslie Nielsen voice, "Yeeesssss"

LOL

Finally a warm reprieve over here. Today the sun is out which is always a plus. Tomorrow is 20C, then Thu 22C, Fri 22C with warmer nights and an evening thunderstorm on Friday night. Then back to normal July weather, high teens and high single digits at night.

Best regards

Tyrone

OMG... Zig, you would LOVE to see what I saw today..... beautiful and smelly.... :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Blue vein cheese. :D

OMG... Zig, you would LOVE to see what I saw today..... beautiful and smelly.... :mrlooney:

Amorphallus ?

Yes... yes... yes... A. titanum.... flowering in its glory.... will post pics when I get home...

Reagrds, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Just curious. Is there any link between the weather afecting Australia and South America? It has been a cold winter down south in Brazil for sure. The freezes are impacting the coffee crops and the vegetable prices. As, well as the price of milk as corn prices for use in cattle feed have gone up.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Here cold and rainy again. Only 14 degrees wich is probably colder then what many people here get during winter.

Well the Dutch climate is realy crap, it sucks!

If I win the loteery I will leave this country for ever!!!

Alexander

Had a beautiful sunny 22C day yesterday. I actually started to sweat a bit. It felt like Spring. 19C and thunderstorms today. It's 6.45am and 15C. Min was 11.5C around midnight then the wind swung around to the NNE and the temp went up. Checked the coconut yesterday and even though we went through a string of really low maximums it's still growing, and looking really good. The long range forecast shows quite normal July weather coming up. We are exactly half way through calendar winter today. Only 6 weeks until spring!!!!!

Best regards

Tyrone

And the 14 of July it was even worse! A cold arctic wind bringing gales and floodings and cold, only a lousy 14 C!

Well if you want summer, avoid the Low Countries, unless you are a machochist...

Alexander

2.6c this morning. But sunny days. All good. :D

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Have had 16mm of rain today since 8am but it hasn't felt cold like earlier in the week. We peaked around 19C even though there was no direct sun today. I just went for a walk around the garden and in my greenhouse where I keep a lot of my cool loving plants and New Caledonian palms etc. Everything is looking very happy in there. All the reticulation is turned off of course, but the rain is kicking everything along really well. I've got a Dypsis arenarum and psamophila in there going great, plus some Dypsis curtisii opening new leaves. Laccospadix look awesome. I've even got a new leaf opening on one of my Chambeyronia lepidotas, but what really made me happy was a community pot of Ceroxylon amazonicum. I got the seed in maybe 18 months ago, and left them out through last winter with no germination at all. Then about 9 months ago in spring I got 3 up out of 50 seed, then nothing. I just looked at them then and have another half dozen pushing spears up in the middle of winter. My Hedyscepe I repotted a few weeks ago are looking great. One has opened up a brand new leaf in the rain. R sapidas are opening new spears too. I've put there pots on trays and it seems to have sped them up a bit. So winter for me is not a time of complete doom and gloom, it's actually quite nice for some things.

Best regards

Tyrone

Home again today... still very dry although the temperature has risen a bit since we left. I haven't had close inspection of the garden, as we all tried to catch up on sleep, but Scott had a quick look around and didn't see any new casualties... so fingers crossed...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We have had unbelievably cold days this week..a maximum of just 12 on Thursday! Here is the article:

A sunny 19 degrees one day, a gloomy 12 the next - only once in the past 15 years has a Sydney day so warm been followed by one so cold, according to weatherzone.com.au.

If it doesn't warm any more between now and the morning, this has been a rare pair of days. By 4pm today it had reached only 12.1 degrees, after getting to 18.9 yesterday.

"Only once in the last 15 years has a colder day followed one so warm. That was in August 2008, when an 11.9-degree day followed a 20-degree one. In more than 150 years of records there have only been 11 occurrences in total, so you could call this a once-in-15-year event," Weatherzone meteorologist Brett Dutschke said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/sydney-pulls-out-a-cold-one-from-nowhere-20110713-1hdpf.html#ixzz1SFyf9euM

No one is sure why Sydney is in the grip of a cold snap. This couldn't have come at the worst possible time for me, as I spent last weekend in Brisbane sourcing subtropical plants. It really is so depressing.

The first two weeks of July are the coldest of the year where I live. Should be upwards from here. What about the coldest period in Aus? Is it the same over there?

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

The first two weeks of July are the coldest of the year where I live. Should be upwards from here. What about the coldest period in Aus? Is it the same over there?

It's the same here Mike. The first 2 weeks of July are the worst then by the end of July we're definitely on the warm up. We had a cold run of days last week but on Thu we were back up to 22C.

What Sydney has had is what we had at the beginning of the week. That really slow moving high pressure zone forced cold Antarctic air and cloud up to Australia and it's slowly moving east now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Just curious. Is there any link between the weather afecting Australia and South America? It has been a cold winter down south in Brazil for sure. The freezes are impacting the coffee crops and the vegetable prices. As, well as the price of milk as corn prices for use in cattle feed have gone up.

dk

Don't really know Don. We had a really slow moving high hang around and pump cold polar wind over us, but even though we had some pretty cold max's in a row, the absolute mins were quite normal for early July at least for my area. Has South America been getting very slow moving high pressure zones in the last few weeks.

Best regards

Tyrone