• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2011 in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Have you lost much Ari?. What sort of things are you having trouble with? I'm sorry to hear it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Not too much Tyrone, just very very special stuff.... that is hard to replace. Oh well... can't do anything now anyway... Start to warm up this week, which is good!!

That's a real pain. I can relate.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I'm in Melbourne at the moment, can't complain, no point, it's just freezing. Cold front came through last night, sounded like a blizzard. This morning it's freezing with an icy wind. I won't complain about Darwin weather again, but will be glad when it warms up there. Noonamah AWS recorded 9.2 this morning, Darwin had 14.8. But the worst part of this winter in the NT is the constant low temperature.

Southern winter solstice at the moment. Days getting longer after today. Imperceptibly longer but longer anyway. In the right direction back to the sun.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Cold tonight. Going down to 7C and then back up to 21C during the day and rain tomorrow night and warmer.

Best regards

Tyrone

Southern winter solstice at the moment. Days getting longer after today. Imperceptibly longer but longer anyway. In the right direction back to the sun.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes, things can only get better. Been a mild winter here so far. Eastern Aus seems to be copping the worst.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Only went down to 8.7C (more than forecast) and then back up to 21C. Some rain coming through tonight and 21C again tomorrow.

Best regards

Tyrone

brrrrr...only 5C here this morning...where is spring??? :lol:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Got to 22C today. Really weird weather situation happening in WA at the moment. The highest max today was 28C up near the NT border only 6C more than Perth all the way down here. Mins tonight are going to be within a couple of degrees for the entire WA coast all the way from the NT border down to Albany on the Southern ocean. About 11-13C for nearly 2500km. In fact quite often we've been warmer at night down here than Broome. Really weird.

Best regards

Tyrone

I'm actually in Cairns now, for a few days before heading back to Darwin. Nice to have been visiting family in Melbourne, nice to be back in warmer weather. Cairns was 19.1C minimum this morning. Also checked Noonamah AWS, it was 15.6C minimum there. Didn't get the actual maximum reading for yesterday, but it was around 30C. So it's back to a 'normal' version of our cooler part of the winter cycle. But this year being what it is, who knows how long for.

Had a min of just above 14C and blowing a gale from the NW at the moment. Got to a shade over 23C today. Cold front is hammering towards the metro area and possible thunderstorms and 30-40mm of rain expected overnight and tomorrow. I hope it pelts down.

Tyrone

Its 9pm currently 12c and raining. 7day forecast saying 10c min 20c max, wont argue with that, schmick winter weather.. Now Tassie Troy just emailed and its currently 13c at 9pm in Tasmania. I think earth has tilted with the volcanic activity :D

Just had 35.6mm of rain in 30 minutes. Wooohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

16C at 7pm.

Some places downtown will be under water with that amount of rain. I wonder how the Northbridge tunnel went.

Best regards

Tyrone

Just had 35.6mm of rain in 30 minutes. Wooohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

16C at 7pm.

Some places downtown will be under water with that amount of rain. I wonder how the Northbridge tunnel went.

Best regards

Tyrone

About blood time, been SO dry over there,hope my brothers 12000 acres of wheat gets this. great news. enjoy it Tyrone, hope it keeps up. Pete

The fishpond is full and the dry stream bed was a raging torrent. Had a scoot around the garden during a lull and a few cut Syagrus leaves that I left in the canopy have come to the ground on top of my Linospadix and Chamaedoreas. Everything's saturated. The wind has died down and we're now in a more westerly gentle flow with rain. Looks like a fair bit of rain still to come. The lightening show of the beginning of the front was spectacular.

They're expecting some falls to get through to the interior and wheat belt, but not with the same punch that we just got. I think we'll safely get past 40mm before sun up. Swanbourne directly on the coast got 42mm in 45min. They may have had a few lightening hits too.

Best regards

Tyrone

From around 6pm yesterday until just after midnight we received 57mm of rain (2.25 inches). That puts us approx on average rainfall for June. On Tuesday we are expecting an even bigger system, so if it all turns out like that we'll be having a June from a long time ago and get over 180mm of rain for the month. Will we top 57mm? I'm hoping for 80-100mm from that system.

Everything is totally saturated in the garden. You don't often see that. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

That's awesome Tyrone...I bet your place, and the whole of Perth needed that ! Hope the next system brings great follow-up.

Here in Manila, we've just had tropical storm Meari. From "The Australian":

"TROPICAL Storm Meari caused chaos across the Philippines yesterday, leaving 11 people missing. The storm dumped heavy rains in Manila and grounded dozens of flights.

Head-high floods swept through the city during the evening rush hour, leaving thousands of people stranded in their cars and others in their offices as traffic turned to gridlock.

Authorities said they had dispatched rescue workers in rubber boats to help residents of badly-affected riverside areas.

There were no immediate reports of casualties in Manila, but authorities said at least 11 people were missing and thousands of others had been forced to flee their flooded homes elsewhere in the Philippines.

More than 7000 people were evacuated from their homes in the Bicol peninsula of the main island of Luzon, said Raffy Alejandro, civil defence officer for the mainly rural region.

Ten fishermen were declared missing after they failed to return to port in Bicol, Mr Alejandro said, adding that heavy seas prevented authorities from launching a search operation.

A woman had also been washed away by a flash flood in Bicol and authorities did not know whether she was alive, Joey Salceda, governor of one of the provinces in the region, said in a television interview.

Aviation authorities cancelled at least 56 flights to and from Manila, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said. Thirty were foreign flights.

The state weather service said Meari had not directly hit Luzon, but it had caused a lot of damage across the island because it combined with seasonal monsoon weather and a tropical depression at sea.

It had packed maximum gusts of 90 kilometres an hour on Thursday, government weather forecaster Sonny Pajarillo said. The storm could continue dumping rains on Luzon until Sunday.

An average of 20 storms and typhoons, some of them deadly, hit the Philippines every year.

Over the past six weeks, more than 50 people have been killed in a series of storms, one of which became a typhoon."

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

That's awesome Tyrone...I bet your place, and the whole of Perth needed that ! Hope the next system brings great follow-up.

Here in Manila, we've just had tropical storm Meari. From "The Australian":

"TROPICAL Storm Meari caused chaos across the Philippines yesterday, leaving 11 people missing. The storm dumped heavy rains in Manila and grounded dozens of flights.

Head-high floods swept through the city during the evening rush hour, leaving thousands of people stranded in their cars and others in their offices as traffic turned to gridlock.

Authorities said they had dispatched rescue workers in rubber boats to help residents of badly-affected riverside areas.

There were no immediate reports of casualties in Manila, but authorities said at least 11 people were missing and thousands of others had been forced to flee their flooded homes elsewhere in the Philippines.

More than 7000 people were evacuated from their homes in the Bicol peninsula of the main island of Luzon, said Raffy Alejandro, civil defence officer for the mainly rural region.

Ten fishermen were declared missing after they failed to return to port in Bicol, Mr Alejandro said, adding that heavy seas prevented authorities from launching a search operation.

A woman had also been washed away by a flash flood in Bicol and authorities did not know whether she was alive, Joey Salceda, governor of one of the provinces in the region, said in a television interview.

Aviation authorities cancelled at least 56 flights to and from Manila, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said. Thirty were foreign flights.

The state weather service said Meari had not directly hit Luzon, but it had caused a lot of damage across the island because it combined with seasonal monsoon weather and a tropical depression at sea.

It had packed maximum gusts of 90 kilometres an hour on Thursday, government weather forecaster Sonny Pajarillo said. The storm could continue dumping rains on Luzon until Sunday.

An average of 20 storms and typhoons, some of them deadly, hit the Philippines every year.

Over the past six weeks, more than 50 people have been killed in a series of storms, one of which became a typhoon."

Regards

Michael

That's really bad. Take care over there.

I'm sure the Archontophoenix maxima I planted on Monday has got greener in the new leaf by the hour today. Everythings loved the rain.

Best regards

Tyrone

Never got below 11c (52f ) overnight and 16c (60f ) yesterday ! hope this continues !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

You having a mild winter too Troy?

Still in Cairns. Rained up at Kuranda today but don't think it did in the lowlands/coast.

Noonamah AWS recorded a minimum of 16.5C and maximum of 34.4C. So finally getting back to normal for this time of year, although minimums still a bit under. Seems there are a few disorganised high pressure centres resulting in a more north easterly air flow. May there be many more like those.

Big system coming through tomorrow night after a max of 23C and wild weather forecast for Tuesday. Hopefully around 50-70mm, at least that's what I'm hoping for. Then it's cooling off to standard winter weather as we enter July. The first 3 weeks of July are statistically our coldest before things slowly turn the other way, around August. So basically June has gone and for us it's been a good one. I still have flowers on the frangipani and Heliconias, but that will change in the next few days I'm sure. I've just spent the last couple of days opening the canopy in my backyard. Climbing up ladders with extension pole saws removing dead and green Syagrus fronds that are in the way of letting light through. (Sanpped a new leaf off one of my Veitchia joannis's with a huge Syagrus frond. :( )Pruned back some Bambusa ventricosa and some Alpinia zerumbet to let the winter sun through. It's definitely lightened up the understory and will also let the rain through preventing those dry spots that only seem to show up in winter when the reticulation is off.

Best regards

Tyrone

3.5c here this morning. Coldest so far.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Got to 24.3C today. Probably won't see that sort of temp for a while now. Expecting 50-100mm of rain this week. It's possible we'll get 50mm of rain from the system approaching now overnight and tomorrow and that will make June technically a wet above average June. Haven't had one of those for a while.

Min of 14C tonight and wild and wet day tomorrow of 18C.

Best regards

Tyrone

Had another 38.2mm of rain since 6am. Clear skies and misty around the place now. Everything is saturated. Had about 100mm of rain since Friday night. More rain is coming from an onshore flow tomorrow before another front hits on Thursday. Bickley in the Darling Ranges had 50mm today. The waterfalls and streams will be raging now. Palms are opening spears like my Rhopies and Hedyscepe. They're galloping ahead in this weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

Had another 38.2mm of rain since 6am. Clear skies and misty around the place now. Everything is saturated. Had about 100mm of rain since Friday night. More rain is coming from an onshore flow tomorrow before another front hits on Thursday. Bickley in the Darling Ranges had 50mm today. The waterfalls and streams will be raging now. Palms are opening spears like my Rhopies and Hedyscepe. They're galloping ahead in this weather.

Best regards

Tyrone

Pleased for you mate... and Perth in general...with water storages around 20% before the recent rains, you really need it. :)

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

It's official. Darwin's gone from the coldest May on record to the coldest June on record. Next ........ July?

Little relief for Darwin as record cold continues

Press Release, Thursday June 30, 2011 - 13:47 EST

After a record cold May and now a record cold June, Darwin is struggling to thaw out and there's little relief in sight, according to weatherzone.com.au.

Combining daytime and nighttime temperatures, the city averaged just 22.5 degrees, a whopping two-and-half degrees colder than the long-term average and three degrees colder than June last year.

The previous coldest June was in 1949 when the average temperature was 22.7 degrees. The only other colder month in about 71 years of records was in July 1965, when the average was 22.5.

Nights have been the clincher, the coldest on record for June. Overnight minimums averaged 16.1 degrees, almost four degrees below than the long-term norm of 19.9. The previous June record for low minimums was 16.8, in 1949. There was only one colder month in the last 71 years, in July 1965, when the average was 15.8.

Days were the second coldest on record, for any month. On average, days were one-and-a half degrees colder than the long-term norm, averaging 29 degrees, compared to 30.6. The previous record was in June 1949, when the average was 28.7.

"The chill has been so prolonged because of persistent southeasterly winds, which have kept the air very dry," weatherzone meteorologist Brett Dutschke said.

The cold June comes after a record cold May and the coldest April in five years, so the start to the dry season has been a shock to the system. There has been some minor relief, five days in the last week have warmed past 30 degrees. The month as a whole has had only nine days warming to 30 degrees and above, typically in June there are 20 such days

"Looking ahead to the rest of the dry season, little change is likely, at least at nighttime. Nights should stay colder than average with help from clear skies and dry southeasterly winds. After some cooler weather again next week, days should warm up to near-average as the season wears on. Despite the warming trend in days, this dry season may turn out to be a record cold one for the Top End," Dutschke said.

My place is inland (50 kms) so maximums and minimums are correspondingly higher and lower. My average minimum for June was 12.0 and maximum 30.2.

July has started off well, after a maximum yesterday (last day of June) of 32.8, my minimum this morning was 19.4 at 7:40AM. At 3:20AM it was 23.4. The official Noonamah AWS (about 5 kms from my place) recorded a minimum of 18.2. It looks like they got less breeze during the night than I did.

But the weather bureau says by next week more cold and dry southeasterlies will move in and we'll be back below average. :(

Since Brazil is such a tropical country cold, frost, and snow are very rare events and celebrated by many and where snow falls is a tourist destination. Last night it got to 8 C last night at the coldest spot down south. There is another cold front coming up from Argentra with more freezing and snow in higher areas. Here in the north we had a nice rain. But, since this is our summer the heat is never far away.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Since Brazil is such a tropical country cold, frost, and snow are very rare events and celebrated by many and where snow falls is a tourist destination. Last night it got to 8 C last night at the coldest spot down south. There is another cold front coming up from Argentra with more freezing and snow in higher areas. Here in the north we had a nice rain. But, since this is our summer the heat is never far away.

dk

Amazondk,

Near the equator where you live, it seems like you would have 2 summers (the equinoxes) and 2 "winters" (the solstices-where the sun is farthest from overhead). How does your weather correlate to the sun's position relative to your location? Do you have one rainy season or two? What time of year is coolest? Just curious.

displaced_floridian

Deep winter now. Really cold. Had 24.3C on Monday then the rain really kicked in and the temps fell. Out in the wind around Fremantle it's totally freezing. Had friends over from the UK and took them to Fremantle for the day and they said they felt like they were in Ireland and even they were cold. Had mins around high single digits to low double digits. Days have been 17, 18C and really wet. Had around 125mm of rain in the last 7 days. A high will move in now and temps are forecast to be mid single digits with a 3C in there with 16,17C max's and clearing weather. The next fortnight is meant to be much the same then we jump back up to 20,21C and mins in the high singles. The first 2 or 3 weeks of July is statistically the coldest. After that the severity of winter diminishes. Spring is only 60 days away. Got to remain positive. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

dk

Amazondk,

Near the equator where you live, it seems like you would have 2 summers (the equinoxes) and 2 "winters" (the solstices-where the sun is farthest from overhead). How does your weather correlate to the sun's position relative to your location? Do you have one rainy season or two? What time of year is coolest? Just curious.

displaced_floridian

The temperature regulator here is normally rain. We do get the very trail end of some cold fronts coming from Argentina. This is a common, but not very frequent event. And, this does not really drive the night time temperatures down below 20 C except in a very rare event. Even then it is only slightly under 20 C. But, the day time temperatures may not get over 23 C or so. Being as most days of the year the daytime temperatures are around 30 C or higher this is a noticable event. I do not think the suns position makes very much difference at my latitude, it is always nearly straight overhead. As I mentioned rain is the cooler weather producer. Since our rainy season runs from December through June, this is seen as the winter. The dry season which has now set on is seen as the summer. The hottest weather here is in the driest part of the year, which is August and September. People here equate rain to seasons. Even during the rainy season if there are a few days with strong sun and no rain people say that there are summer days. Amazonia is one of the major weather makers for Brazil as it pumps humidity into other parts of the country.

Here is a picture of people enjoying the snow in southern Brazil. Since I was raised in Montana snow never really has been something I had a reason to party about. Although I did love meny things about the winter as a kid.

nevenosul.jpg

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Blimmin freezing at the moment. 15C tomorrow. Then 4 nights of 3C min and max's around 16, 17C.sick.gif

We've had a warm June in Sydney, and tops of around 20 with minimums of 12 for the next few days. But from Wednesday on....8-16 until Saturday! ewwww. I feel your pain, Tyrone. I'm eagerly checking the forecast on the BOM website hoping that it won't stay like that and return to at least 10-18degree days...

Thankfully, these suburbs don't get cold. The Leichhardt/Petersham/Annandale border is elevated, and besides great city views, it means that the cold air never settles here. Being so close to the water too helps a lot. We just got back from visiting a friend 30mins away and our car was fogged up, here it is much milder.

Edited by Laisla87

Perth had a warm June too. 10C min to 19.6C max on average with above average rainfall. I'm not looking forward to the 3C nights especially 4 in a row! Thanks you slow moving high pressure system. :(

Last year when we visited Annandale in mid August we'd been through a really cold record winter and by comparison Annandale felt really toasty. Luckily Perth warmed up really quickly in the second week of Sep and didn't cool down again until May this year.

The suns out today with drops falling off the trees from the rain and a measly max of 15C! Tough on tropicals especially after 150mm of rain in around a week. Thank goodness we're on sand.

Best regards

Tyrone

Poor breaDFRUIT HAS NEARLY LOST ALL OF ITS LEAVES

Wals Lippy looks ok .. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Direct southerlies coming from 55S at the moment. 12.45pm and 13.5C. Brrrrrrrrr

Coconut grew about 4mm overnight and is 25C at the moment in there.

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Do you have your coconut in a greenhouse? Or does it pass the winter exposed? I thought I read that there are some uncovered coconuts in Perth somewhere...

Best regards

Tyrone

Do you have your coconut in a greenhouse? Or does it pass the winter exposed? I thought I read that there are some uncovered coconuts in Perth somewhere...

It's in a tent with no roof. The newest leaves poke right out. There is one uncovered coconut I know of in Perth that has been going for years and has huge leaves.

Best regards

Tyrone

Poor breaDFRUIT HAS NEARLY LOST ALL OF ITS LEAVES

Wals Lippy looks ok .. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Surely not the breadfruit in Tully.