• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter 2011 in the South / Summer in the North

Daryl

Had 11mm overnight and more thunderstorms this afternoon and tonight, then showers showers showers and mild temps. Great for my Chambeyronia lepidota's which are in their element. My neighbour cut down his last Syagrus which was shading my shadehouse where my C lepidota's are. They can get extra sun now and with the cool wet conditions I can see them starting to wake up from their heat induced coma. They don't often get sunny wet cool conditions, which I think is what they need.

Luckily the rain is coming in waves, so I can get work done between showers.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

work between showers??? I usually just put my bathers on and work during showers... unless of course the rain is COLD?? :D

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Weather here has been anything but warm. Must be the coldest,wettest winter on record. After having the floods followed by near freezing night temperatures, in fact not far from here after work on two occasions I had solid ice on the windscreen, something I havent seen sence living in Canada. I have had light frost on the small bit of lawn left in the garden. No visable signs yet of cold damage to any of the palms. The last couple of days have brought 4inches of rain, strong winds and the ground is saturated once again.

Hopefully the warmer weather is just around the corner.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Weather here has been anything but warm. Must be the coldest,wettest winter on record. After having the floods followed by near freezing night temperatures, in fact not far from here after work on two occasions I had solid ice on the windscreen, something I havent seen sence living in Canada. I have had light frost on the small bit of lawn left in the garden. No visable signs yet of cold damage to any of the palms. The last couple of days have brought 4inches of rain, strong winds and the ground is saturated once again.

Cheers

Mike

Hopefully you'll get some warm weather soon Mike. I see Sydney had 12C roughly yesterday with a ton of rain caused by one of those east coast lows. We had some cold weather last week and the week before, so I think the antarctic blast we got has moved east and has helped generate the east coast low. Once it clears nice mild weather should take hold.

Got my skip filled this morning just before the rain started near lunchtime. Had 7mm in the last few hours and more coming. Got to around 19C alternating sun and clouds.

Ari, in spring to autumn I wear board shorts in the garden. I don't wear them in winter though. Too cold. Warm rain is nice. It doesn't happen much here though.

Here comes the rain again. :)

Best regards

tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well its most days below 20 here. Well this is an crapy old still Dutch summer with plenty rain and wind! The sort of summers they give you the autumn bluess...

Alexander

The minimum for Cairns this morning was 9.4C. Not bad for on the coast. A bit further south but in a bit from the coast Ayr had 4.3C.

Just hope that cold dry air doesn't get through to here but it is chilling off again. This morning Noonamah AWS recorded a minumum of 12.6C. That's not good after the recent respite we had. Todays maximum was around the normal at 32.7C. Can't see why minimums can't stay around normal as well. Anyway, looks like July might be headed for a record cold, just like May and June.

Mins of 10,11 and maxs of 20C for the next 4 days in a row with rain every day, then nights around 11,12C and days around 18, 19C after that but windy and rainy. That's early September weather for us.

Long range temp forecast is in for Aug - Oct. It's going to be a quick warm up in spring this year in the SW. Rainfall looks like being average. We need better than average, especially since higher temps means higher evaporation, unless of course it keeps raining which would be totally awesome. :D

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/temps_ahead.shtml

Best regards

Tyrone

3 quite warm days in a row, about 23 or so, and the nights in the high single figures almost convinced me this eternal winter might finally be grinding to a halt. Today was slightly cooler and tonight its bloody cold again. At least that freezing wind has stopped. Just a few days of that turned a lot of the tropical palms an unusual shade of canary yellow. (including my big orania palindan) I am taking advantage of the mild days to make an early start on the spring repotting marathons.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Probably saved by the breeze last night, although there's no indication of any wind during the night for Noonamah AWS. Minimum was down to 14.7C. But the cold dry air is still right across the top. Cairns had a minimum of 9.4C, Townsville was 8.5C. No point wishing for bright sunny skies, that's what we've been getting. So a bit more cloud, breezes and higher humidity for the nights would be nice.

Zig,

Are you back? Did you get any losses during the cold snap?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Depending on the suburb this morning most places were around 11-13C this morning. I thought it felt warm for July.

regards

Tyrone

Cheers

Mike

Oh the pain. A horrid week of highs around 12-14 for Sydney with constant heavy downpours, dubbed 'the worst winter in 60 years' by some elements of the media. I shudder to think what will happen long term in the garden, I don't want to see. I did sneak a peak and noted that the Carpies seem fine. As for everything else, it's too early to tell if they have sustained long term damage.

I've told my other half that this winter is it for me, I am moving North...alone if I have to :)

Almost got to 22C today with almost no direct sunlight and a bit of drizzle.blink.gif

Warm for July. Nothing below 10C for the next week and max's 18C −21C. :) Rain every day too. I'm not complaining. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Ari, When I came back from down south I went on an 8 day bushwalk up on the Arnhem Land Plateau. But I've started back at work this week. There was no apparent cold damage, but my automatic irrigation played up and some plants got hit hard. Even my yellow Champaca, but it's making a come back now. The alba never missed a beat and still keeps putting out a few flowers.

Hopefully it's warming a bit again. Cairns has edged up but along the bottom of the Gulf it's still cold. Noonamah AWS recorded a minimum of 14.1C this morning with a maximum of 31.9C yesterday. The skies are still clear and wind negligible.

Hopefully they will recover for you, Zig...

the night is still cool here, but humidity is going up, I think.... since the mozzies are so bad!!! I do miss the rain though.....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Cheers

Mike

Oh the pain. A horrid week of highs around 12-14 for Sydney with constant heavy downpours, dubbed 'the worst winter in 60 years' by some elements of the media. I shudder to think what will happen long term in the garden, I don't want to see. I did sneak a peak and noted that the Carpies seem fine. As for everything else, it's too early to tell if they have sustained long term damage.

I've told my other half that this winter is it for me, I am moving North...alone if I have to :)

Spare a thought for us Kiwis. It was 1c this morning which is the coldest I've recorded here. As I write this, it's -6 down south. Highs of 12-14 don't seem so bad to me.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

BRRRRR chilly billy , been some very cold mornings lately ...

a few under 10 ... breadfruit leaf a month ago ,,, now none ,and many dead branches ... though Wals Lippy is looking great only a few meters away.

post-354-083264700 1311630845_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Had a min of 11.4C lastnight. Going for 20C today, 21C tomorrow. Min will be 9C tomorrow morning then a heap of 11, 12C, and even 3 mornings of 13C with days around 19C and rain virtually every day. Very mild as we approach August, the last winter month. UV Index is up to a bushfire forming 4 now. :D Which is moderate. So far the lowest we've had this winter is a min of 1.3C, but the min in the coolest part of the garden would have been 3-4C on that night. Looks like August will be warmish and wet.

Best regards

Tyrone

Ari, that's the worst of being dependent on irrigation during our dry season. Because I'm away a lot any failure in the system can wipe out the garden.

Michael, my Breadfruit was a victim of the failed irrigation and dropped its huge leaves and the crown of small new leaves was all limp. But deep watering brought it back within a day (minus the huge leaves). Mine is very tall but a thin spindly trunk. It's growing in too much shade. I wonder whether it's the height of the plant that protected it from this (our coldest) winter. Yours in the photo looks quite small still, close to the ground.

The bottom fell out of the temperature bucket this morning, Noonamah AWS recorded 11.9C. That was at 1:33AM. At 2AM it was 15.1C. From there it fluctuated between 13.1C and 16.6C up to 6:30AM. So it's all about the breezes.

This morning Cairns only got down to 19.1C and Townsville was above 10C like much of the southern Gulf. So looks like overall the air is warming up again.

Down to 0.4c here this morning, a new record. Dypsis lutescens and A alexandrae taking it in their stride so far. Ensetes browning off though. :(

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

This morning Cairns only got down to 19.1C and Townsville was above 10C like much of the southern Gulf. So looks like overall the air is warming up again.

Definitely warming up & humidity is rising too... You can tell by the amount of mozzies out there!!! It is shocking at the moment!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Warmish days now, 23 on average, no cold wind, but still dropping down near freezing at night. Feels like the beginnings of spring. This is the time I am at the most risk of frost however so I dont sleep very well wondering if will happen. Of course having one dog sleeping on my feet and another under the doona might contribute to my insomniac state.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Ari, you must be getting those mozzies from the Howard River and the sand pits. There's still a lot of water laying around for this time of year.

Minimum this morning at Noonamah AWS was 15.5C at 2:11am. At 3:00am it was 17.2C, 6:00am it was 18.2C. Maximum yesterday was 31.9C.

From Cairns right across to here the temps still seem to be generally climbing up. Hopefully we're moving out of the cold hole we've found ourselves in this winter.

Expecting thunderstorms heavy falls and possible flash flooding tonight. Rain starts this arvo and then gets progressively stronger. Going for 21C first though. Blue skies not a cloud around at the moment. Just a bit of gusty wind picking up which signifies a change in the air. Expecting a week of rain, with falls close to 100mm by the end of the next 7 days.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone - you DO have a wet week coming up... looks very gusty too. Should be hitting you right about now....

Hope there's no falling branches from the big canopy trees.

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Tyrone - you DO have a wet week coming up... looks very gusty too. Should be hitting you right about now....

Hope there's no falling branches from the big canopy trees.

Regards

Michael

Depending where you are around Perth it produced about 15-30mm of rain overnight. Not as big as they predicted. Damage was done to the south of Perth at Waroona with roofs off and 120kph wind gusts and a possible tornado touchdown. Had a couple of small branches come out of the gum tree out back but nothing bad. Quite a bit of lightening and thunder. In a lull now. Had a min around 14.9C and at 6.30 am it was already 19C. Our max today was at 4.30am with 19.1C!!!!!!!!

It's good to see the rain fall. My big R bauerii is opening a new spear with another one behind that. It loves this time of year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Back home now and my weather station showed my minimum temps were between a half and two degrees higher than Noonamah AWS. However, this morning they were half a degree lower at 16.4C. There's no consistency.

Most people think it's coldest just before dawn. Not so here this morning, coldest was after dawn. It was warmer an hour before dawn than an hour after. This is how the temps peaked and troughed this morning.

1:00am 18.2C

2:20am 20.3C

4:10am 18.8C

5:00am 19.1C

7:40am 16.4C

I guess that's what's significant to plants, just how long the temps stay below certain thresholds.

You have nothing to worry about with those temps Zig. :D

Back home now and my weather station showed my minimum temps were between a half and two degrees higher than Noonamah AWS. However, this morning they were half a degree lower at 16.4C. There's no consistency.

Most people think it's coldest just before dawn. Not so here this morning, coldest was after dawn. It was warmer an hour before dawn than an hour after. This is how the temps peaked and troughed this morning.

I guess that's what's significant to plants, just how long the temps stay below certain thresholds.

That is interesting Zig. I think the low temperature here last night was around 25 C or so. While driving around town yesterday I noticed one of the streetside temperautre signs was at 40 C around 3 PM. That is the first time I have seen that this dry season. The official readings are at the airports which are not what the iin town temps are. We did get a nice thunderstorm the other day. But, aside from that the days have been with clear skies and the heat is on.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Blowy wet night last night. Found a leak in my new roof. The official reading was close to 11mm, but we got tons more than that. Another 15C night and a top of 19C. Yesterday was 15-20C. Palms are loving it. We're 40mm off the average for July and for the year to the end of July in total, so we'll probably get there. Calm at the moment out there. More rain coming later then more thunderstorms on Sunday.

Best regards

Tyrone

This morning it followed the classic line, temp progressively dropped through the night except for an hour between 4am and 5 am. Minimum was 15.3C at 7:30am. Maximum yesterday was 32.5C. Wind picked up during the day but night was dead calm. Humidity gets as low as 35 during the day but mostly varies between 90 and 98 through the night. But soon we'll be into August, the last month of winter.

Tyrone, as always when you get plants you (or at least I do) go for stuff that's marginal. Then spend time worrying about its survival.

Don, your temps are more like Madang PNG in the low end but I'm pretty certain they don't get that high there as you do. They have a backdrop of high mountains with deep sea on the other side. Humidity is high all year. Even exposed street and parkland trees are clothed in Birds Nest ferns and Staghorns.

Got up to 18C today with a low of around 6C last night. Atleast the sun is out and looks to be a good week ahead for fishing outside in the boat, maybe pickup a nice couple of snapper or yellow fin tuna!

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

What kind of weather station do you have, Zig? Obviously it can record minimums and maximums?

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Zig,

I would imagine that the mountains and the oceaan in the PNG town you mentioned would make a fair difference to our climate here. The forest is one of the big factors in our weather here. The weather in Brazil on a whole is impacted by Amazonia, which pumps in humidity to other areas, the cold fronts from Argentina (Antarctica) bringing cool weather north, and the Atlantic ocean, which up about half of the coast of Brazil is a cold current. Here the main factor impacting the weather is the location of the Inter \tropical Convergence Zone from what I understand. There is now a big area covering central Brazil of very low humidity (for Brazil) that is impacting a lot of the country right now. I really like our temperatures around 6 AM, which it is right now as I sit on my deck writing this. The parrots are cruising around and the other birds are all chriping away. Since I sit just away from the main depature path of the Manaus aiport I time things in the morning by what flight is leaving as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Canberra hit -8c this morning: the coldest temp in 17 years. Ouch!

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Mike, I've got a Davis weather station. It records a wide range of data at 10 minute intervals. You can check the data sets on its computer program or get a range of statistical summaries. It's been good to see current data rather than rely on sparse data from the nearest bureau of meteorology station which is about 5 kms away. When I'm away from home, which is very frequent, I can check the internet for the BOM weather station data and know within which margins my home weather will be. Can't do anything about it, but I like to know. And it was handy when we had the cyclone earlier this year.

Don, PNG has the same effect from its vast rainforests, and then behind that is more warm ocean. The coast there (Madang) faces generally eastwards or northeast. Most of the winds come in off equatorial seas. The dry air coming off continental Australia tends to go more towards Timor. But I understand the south western side of PNG is more equatorial savanna, like around Darwin. They even have a lot of "our" plants and animals.

I sometimes see planes at a distance coming into Darwin, rarely if ever see any leaving. But there's a helicopter airfield about 6 kms away and an ultralight one a few kms further. Sometimes get traffic from there but that's rare too. Whenever I hear a lawnmower up in the air I know someone's straying out a bit in an ultralight :lol:.

The night breezes have died completely and the minimums have dropped again, 14.0C at 7:00am. But humidity was at 99% until 9:30am then dropped rapidly. At 2:00pm temp was 33.3C and humidity 25%. Not looking forward to this dry air continuing into August when our temps start to warm up.

they are talking about early wet, Zig... not sure what the prediction is now.... Apparently there will be weak La Nina around???? Keep that bore running!!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Been very wet and windy over here. It's not been cold though. 13C-21C and rain. What is strange though, is that even though we've had 300mm of rain since the beginning of June, and that we're almost in line for an average year of rainfall, the dams have only gone up from 22% full at the beginning of the rain to 24.4% today. Someones doctoring the figures I think. There's no way that we can get more than 1/3 of our yearly rainfall and yet still get almost flat lining dam levels, especially since the dam areas have received higher rainfall than the metro area. All the lakes and soaks are full of water here now and I can't see why the dams aren't reflecting the same. huh.gif

Best regards

Tyrone

yep... like my friend said in Melbourne... even with the amount of rainfall they had been having, they still said the dam wasn't full enough....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

We've got a dam here which is our largest one that has never been more than 60% full since it was made in 1974. Even in the early 90's when other dams were spilling over the spillways, it was not more than around 60%. Due to the fact it is so huge compared to all the others it skews the statistics to look like we always have low dam levels. But if this dam was taken out of the equation although we would have less stored water, the percentage would look vastly better. Statistics can be messed with to prove virtually anything.

Adam was telling me that in Melbourne despite all the rain and floods that they've had, they still can't legally water their lawns.huh.gif

Best regards

Tyrone