IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Joy perfume tree

Last year I purchased a small Joy Perfume tree and container grew it on my lanai until early April, when I planted it in the ground. My little tree really took off this spring and I didn't want it to go another year on the lanai.

Knowing this tree is rated zone 10a and above, I planted it in one of the warmest areas of my property, and under light overhead tree canopy. In normal winters, this area doesn't get frost damage, but the January of 2010 and December of 2010 were exceptions.

In any event, I was wondering if my tree might flower by summer's end. My tree measures about 6-1/2 feet high overall and the trunk is about 2 inches (near ground) in diameter.

2995348510042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2887592240042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

My Joy Perfume tree is planted on the south side of a small scrub oak and near a southern slash pine, both that give a little canopy to my perfume tree. Hopefully, this will be enough to keep frost off of it. But even if it defoliates, I hope there isn't wood dieback.

Mad about palms

Michelia alba? I love the scent of the white flowers. Seems it might be large enough to flower; post some pics if it does. Hope you have good luck with this tree, it's lovely.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You should get a few flowers this year. A few is all you need. It seems like more sun = more flowers.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Which is it, the orange or white flowering tree? The white flowers more than the orange but both will flower on and off during the warmer months. Yours should definitely flower. And not to worry, it will flower heavily in bright shade.

All of ours have suffered no damage or just leaf burn the last 2 winters. They seem to get a bit hardier once they get mature and they do grow fast.

Here at Leu Gardens, they are flowering heavily now. Between these, the Arenga engleri, and Aglaia odorata, Leu Gardens is heavily scented.

These are now Magnolia champaca and M. x alba, Michelia has been lumped into Magnolia.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Which is it, the orange or white flowering tree? The white flowers more than the orange but both will flower on and off during the warmer months. Yours should definitely flower. And not to worry, it will flower heavily in bright shade.

All of ours have suffered no damage or just leaf burn the last 2 winters. They seem to get a bit hardier once they get mature and they do grow fast.

Here at Leu Gardens, they are flowering heavily now. Between these, the Arenga engleri, and Aglaia odorata, Leu Gardens is heavily scented.

These are now Magnolia champaca and M. x alba, Michelia has been lumped into Magnolia.

Thanks all for your replies.

Eric, I bought my joy perfume tree from Crowley's Nursery and it was labeled Michelia champaca alba (white flower).

I'm delighted to hear the ones at Leu survived the last two winters. Hopefully, mine in it's protected spot will survive, especially if I have a normal winter (after my coldest low temperature winter ever in 13 plus years here).

Last Saturday a bunch from my county extension office master gardeners went up to Leu. I think a MG buddy of mine said a fellow at Leu who was an arborist and an Orange County MG lead the tour.

Yes, I know about the scent from Arenga engleri. My largest one is in flower (several) right now and I can smell it. Last year I got my first seeds and sowed them. Many are now sprouted and up about 1-1/2 inches.

Mad about palms

Michelia champaca alba is an old name for Magnolia X alba, which we now know is a mostly sterile hybrid out of M. champaca (and M. montana). One way to tell them apart when they are not in bloom is to note that M. champaca has slightly dull and furry leaves, while M. X alba has smooth and glossy leaves. The fragrance profile of these two trees are quite different, with alba being more flowery and champaca more musky. Just to confuse the matter a little more, there is a Thai cultivar of Magnolia champaca 'Alba' that has white flowers instead of the typical orange.

Here is a mature specimen of M. X alba near the parking lot to Akaka falls in Hilo, Hawaii. It is the largest M. X alba I have ever seen, probably 50' high by 30' wide.

post-608-020543200 1306527141_thumb.jpg

Fragrant Hill Design

www.fragranthill.com

Mountain View, California

Here's my M. X alba after only two years in the ground. The smell is great and I love the evergreen canopy it provides and we sit on the bench under it in the shade and enjoy the garden. Love the heavy leaf litter too.

post-126-051332500 1306528502_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I removed all but one if mine due to heavy leaf litter. Like magnolias, it seems their leaves break down slowly.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Yep. Free mulch. Probably not good in a yard like yours around all that nice clean hardscaping though. Did you leave one on your slope?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

One of mine died before I could remove it. I still have one and do not plan on removing it since it is semi-bonzai. It's only 8 ft after 5 years in the ground. I hope it does not grow any bigger. Mine is close to a yellow Brugmansia and the yard is like perfume alley.

Michelia champaca alba is an old name for Magnolia X alba, which we now know is a mostly sterile hybrid out of M. champaca (and M. montana). One way to tell them apart when they are not in bloom is to note that M. champaca has slightly dull and furry leaves, while M. X alba has smooth and glossy leaves. The fragrance profile of these two trees are quite different, with alba being more flowery and champaca more musky. Just to confuse the matter a little more, there is a Thai cultivar of Magnolia champaca 'Alba' that has white flowers instead of the typical orange.

Here is a mature specimen of M. X alba near the parking lot to Akaka falls in Hilo, Hawaii. It is the largest M. X alba I have ever seen, probably 50' high by 30' wide.

We also have a cultivar of M. x alba called 'Golden' The flowers open white and turn orange after a day or so. This year they aren't very white openeing, more a very pale yellow orange.

Also have a variegated hybrid called 'Pure Joi' Its a cross between M. champaca and M. baillonii. Supposed to have white flowers but ours hasn't flowered yet.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks all for your replies.

Eric, I bought my joy perfume tree from Crowley's Nursery and it was labeled Michelia champaca alba (white flower).

I'm delighted to hear the ones at Leu survived the last two winters. Hopefully, mine in it's protected spot will survive, especially if I have a normal winter (after my coldest low temperature winter ever in 13 plus years here).

Last Saturday a bunch from my county extension office master gardeners went up to Leu. I think a MG buddy of mine said a fellow at Leu who was an arborist and an Orange County MG lead the tour.

Yes, I know about the scent from Arenga engleri. My largest one is in flower (several) right now and I can smell it. Last year I got my first seeds and sowed them. Many are now sprouted and up about 1-1/2 inches.

They survived 27F back in Jan. 2003 with just leaf burn.

I see others around town and none have any branch dieback but several in open areas dropped most of their leaves the past 2 winters.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks for that comprehensive information. That tree in your photo is indeed impressive.

My joy perfume tree is that as shown (link below) in fourth row down, far right:

http://crowleynursery.net/trees2.htm

Mad about palms

Here's my M. X alba after only two years in the ground. The smell is great and I love the evergreen canopy it provides and we sit on the bench under it in the shade and enjoy the garden. Love the heavy leaf litter too.

That's a good looking specimen. Maybe mine might be close to that size by year's end. I know it's grown at least six inches in overall height since I planted it last month. Now that the rainy season is almost here, perhaps it's growth speed will maximize.

Mad about palms

Yep. Free mulch. Probably not good in a yard like yours around all that nice clean hardscaping though. Did you leave one on your slope?

No. It is by my Koi pond. Lots of leaf drop in the pond right now :) Since the soil is shaded where it is growing, the thing has taken off. It is at least 25 feet tall right now and handles the sun just fine.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin