IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butianut Update

Mike Evans

These also look very much like little Butias ...... I guess its too early too tell and maybe they really do look this way.

Fingers crossed eh.

Following Matt's previous documentation about these seeds, and reports of success coming in from other hybridizers, I think we're seeing the real deal. Time should reveal much more character... but then I had a joyless thought -- what if this cross is going to lean much more toward butia? I'm thinking of how much ButiaXJubaea looks like a large/beautiful BUTIA (not Jubaea). In contrast, xButyagrus and BXParajubaea are obvious hybrids.

Steve

St. Augustine, FL

Steve, Butia and Jubaea are very closely related genetically, much closer than butia to parajubaea or syagrus.

Parajubaea and Coconut similarly are also very very closely related.

Therefore the butia x coco SHOULD be similar to the Butia x parajub cross.

Only time will tell, we need to have a little more patience.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

and 1 I mercilessly put in the ground shortly after sprouting. It's in full all day sun.

post-1261-030785700 1306011685_thumb.jpg

These also look very much like little Butias ...... I guess its too early too tell and maybe they really do look this way.

Fingers crossed eh.

I agree and I'm not holding my breath. Only time will tell.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 1 month later...

Mark Heath had what I thought was one. When I get b ack from AL I am going to visit and see how it looks after 2 years.

Best regards

Ed

I visited Mark and saw his hybrid-- first 2 photos were taken in 8/2008 the last 2 photos were this weekend past.

It has very leathery leaves like a Cocos but we will see when it flowers.

Best regards

Ed

post-562-094071800 1309225823_thumb.jpg

post-562-043147400 1309225848_thumb.jpg

post-562-031575600 1309225897_thumb.jpg

post-562-041896400 1309225929_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics Ed. We'll have to wait and see when the hybrid flowers for sure.

I have a batch of Butianut seedlings that look like Mikes. I went out just a cpl of minutes ago and it was too humid, the pic is blurry.

But i will pot them up soon and in time we will see if they're the real deal.

I think Freakypalmguy hit the nail on the head w/ his name suggestion,,, Butianut!!!

post-518-060164500 1309291460_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

• 3 years later...

Would any of the hybridizers, who commented in this thread, like to provide an update?

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

I dont really have anything to add, my one seedling I produced was eaten by a hairy caterpillar and I am no longer in Brazil where i had access to both Butias and Coconuts.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk