IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this Bismarckia okay?

osideterry

I planted this at my in-laws place on Monday. It rained Tuesday and Wednesday, and today the fronds (palms?) look like they are starting to curve.

It was purchased slightly oversized in a 15 gallon squat-pot. No roots were damaged while planting. It was growing in full sun in Fallbrook at time of purchase.

I may be being a hypochondriac, as this is replacing one previous planted which was killed by not watering. (This one has it's own bubbler). I would hate to lose this one.

post-662-098627900 1305834802_thumb.jpg

post-662-038317900 1305834811_thumb.jpg

post-662-032105200 1305834821_thumb.jpg

post-662-005355900 1305834830_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

In this photo, is that unopen spear leaning out normal. I'm paranoid.

post-662-064676600 1305835174_thumb.jpg

It looks like a normal healthy Bizzie to me. Nice and blueish also! Just don't over water it.

Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hi Terry,

I think you are being paranoid... By the way one of the sabal causiarum 1g's you brought to me in AZ from gary woods place made it all the way to florida in my car, LOL! Its in the ground and doing well. Yup, your in laws bizzie didnt go south in a few days. They sometimes are curved, I have one here that has some curve to the spear, and its very happy. Now if you have seen them curve in 3 days, and that is not a medically induced hallucination, I would not know what to say, havent seen that. :lol:

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

When my bismarck spear comes out it leans the same way. They usually pull out of it if anything happens. It looks fine to me. Just don't fertilize for at least 2 months. Did you throw any on fertilizer in your hole before you planted it? My father-in-law did that and it shocked the palms even more.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I just planted on myself last week. Mine looks the same. I was told the roots are sensitive compared to other palms. It will get back up an growing soon.

i put one in the ground about a month ago.. looked just like yours. mines doing great. looks good to me

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Everything looks fine to me Terry. Nice color on that one for sure.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

isnt it going to get wayyyyy too big for the spot you have that planted ?

Edited by trioderob

It looks like a normal healthy Bizzie to me. Nice and blueish also! Just don't over water it.

Randy

by don't over water i think we need to adjust for California. Nothing more than about 100 gallons a day! :winkie:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

Thanks everyone.

No, I didn't throw any fertilizer in the hole before planting.

By the time it gets of size the fronds should go over the fence... or I just trim the back one off if it rubs.

ALSO: Should I water deep and let it dry out between waterings? I know once established they are fairly adaptable. The one I planted in my yard went almost too easy.

Thanks everyone.

By the time it gets of size the fronds should go over the fence... or I just trim the back one off if it rubs.

ALSO: Should I water deep and let it dry out between waterings? I know once established they are fairly adaptable. The one I planted in my yard went almost too easy.

Check out this website. Discusses watering newly planted Bismarckia.

http://bismarckpalms.com/planting-bismarck.html

Thanks everyone.

Water deep to get that tap root down. I wouldn't let it DRY out too much if you just planted it. especially in the growing season.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Only water the southern most facing frond, once a week, not the dirt itself :hmm: .

:lol::lol::huh:

Terry, did you see your S. sancona that we dug up and moved to Paul's? It's really making the rounds.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Terry:

Hmm.

That bizzie looks great to me!

I think the curving is where the plant is sort of saying "Ahhhhhhhh" after being let out of the cramped pot and put in the ground. Sort of like I say ahhh after removing too-tight undershorts . . . . .

How big was the pot it was in?

Keep us apprized, looks great!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Matty - Just posted there.

Gonzer -That handful of seeds you gave me last year is now 21 1-gallon baronii in my greenhouse. I'm thinking I got 100% germination from throwing them in a community pot.

Dave don't ever use that analogy again ha ha ha

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

You will have to stake it because it will push itself away from the fence. I believe this will cause it to lean. Before it is even over the fence, the petioles will be rather huge and stiff.

Gonzer -That handful of seeds you gave me last year is now 21 1-gallon baronii in my greenhouse. I'm thinking I got 100% germination from throwing them in a community pot.

Yowzers! Good news Terry, that's great. That palm just threw 2 new inflo's last week too.

• 2 years later...

I bought a 4 foot tall Bismarckia nobilis palm from RealPalmTrees website since it is advertised as hardy to my zone 8B. We've had zone 9 weather in the past two winters with 25F and up and one night each winter doiwn to 21-22F coldest, so I decided to buy one and upon arrival, no matter how good the care was it died by drying up from the fronds down. Then the spear pulled with fishy smell, so I received a replacement by paying the shipping charge again and took a second chance and planted it in the ground with temps being above freezing and only one night in the high 20s, but no matter that I watered it well as per instructions, applied root growth powder, did not disturb the roots at all while transplanting it. This second specimen slowly dried up no matter what I did and I was watering it often as per instructions enclosed. The tiny trunk of the 4 footer was still slightly green for at least 3 months, and that gave me a little hope, yet it is now completely brown, no more green patches remain,but the spear is not pulling yet and in the middle of summer it is not growing as well. Should I try a third specimen? Or perhaps it is only a zone 10 or zone 11 plant? Then why is it being sold as zone 8B plant? Or perhaps these are impossible to transplant? To mention, it cost me $250 per plant as i had high hopes. I could use that spot for another palm, but have to wait probably until the next winter, to see what's going on with it.

About 3 months ago I planted 155 seeds, planted professionally in environmentally friendly pots, well taken care of, well watered, not too much, not too little (perhaps a little too much water at times), in a sun room where it gets very hot into 90s and 100s, and by now (July 2013) I found 6 germinating seedlings with no roots coming out of the pots under them, but a lot of thick roots coming out under the other pots which have not germinated yet. I realize these are going to be sunroom or indoor plants unless I sell them to someone in zones 10-11. Probably at least zone 10B.

I'm attaching a photo of the second specimen that I planted in the soil and that is now only a brown spear (not too crispy dry) remains of it.

post-4470-0-23223300-1373144583_thumb.jp

Edited by SoulofthePlace

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

Sorry you got duped into buying a bismarckia for NC, they're only hardy to 28F when young but eventually can handle about 22F. They grow as far North as Orlando in Fl but that's about it.

The way your bismarckia is declining during the growing season before you even got to Winter suggests that the nursery cut the roots that went from the pots into the ground.

Sounds like a bad nursery to me, especially for lying about the hardiness.

Dave don't ever use that analogy again ha ha ha

i totally agree with Matty!! crazy Dave!

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

The roots can be touchy. I have 3 and 2 of them I had to dig and move. Both lived but it took them a long while to get back on track. The little one I have (well all 3) saw 26f this past winter along with a ton of high 20s. Worse winter I've had yet. All 3 didn't even blink at 26 with frost. Here's a pic of my smallest one starting to loose its purple youthful colors.

post-5835-0-15761300-1373163569_thumb.jp

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Steve, if a bismarckia escapes out of a pot and roots go into the ground, when the pot is moved and the roots get cut the bismarckia can have massive setback and sometimes will just die, although usually all the older fronds just die.

Steve, if a bismarckia escapes out of a pot and roots go into the ground, when the pot is moved and the roots get cut the bismarckia can have massive setback and sometimes will just die, although usually all the older fronds just die.

I wasn't disagreeing with you. That's why most growers grow them on concrete or some other type of root barrier. When I moved mine they were only in the ground for a year and I dug a huge root ball too. The move still messed them up to the point where I almost removed one of them.

Here the smaller of the 2 that I moved. Check other the stunted leaves. If you look closely you can see how the leaves slowly get bigger as the plant grew. The leaves are still funky shaped a bit but its almost back to normal.

post-5835-0-92575000-1373210906_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-20644100-1373210942_thumb.jp

post-5835-0-48017000-1373210980_thumb.jp

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

• 6 years later...