Sign in to follow this  
REKS

The dead Foxtail fronds are slow to fall off.

REKS

We are concerned about our Foxtails. This was the second harsh winter for these Palms. Although, they keep pushing up spears of new growth, the damaged, dried up fronds on the bottom of the Foxtails are slow to fall away. The cylindrical boots that these dead fronds are attached to are still green and healthy looking. Usually, the frond and boot wither together and fall off as one piece. Should we be concerned? Is anyone familiar with this situation. We are well aware that the Foxtails are self-cleaning and should not be tampered with to accelerate the process. Here is a photo of one of our Foxtails.

post-5830-012095000 1305765580_thumb.jpg

Pedro 65

We are concerned about our Foxtails. This was the second harsh winter for these Palms. Although, they keep pushing up spears of new growth, the damaged, dried up fronds on the bottom of the Foxtails are slow to fall away. The cylindrical boots that these dead fronds are attached to are still green and healthy looking. Usually, the frond and boot wither together and fall off as one piece. Should we be concerned? Is anyone familiar with this situation. We are well aware that the Foxtails are self-cleaning and should not be tampered with to accelerate the process. Here is a photo of one of our Foxtails.

All will be well, a good liquid feed will help and a good slow release like nutricoat around the base now your in spring and nearly summer to help make it strong again before next winter. Nutricoat total is fantastic for palms as the nitrogen isnt too high and has a good amount of K(Potassium)which plays a very important role especially in making palms stand up to the cold better. Pete

Kumar

Beautiful , lush foxtail. I have royals with similar crownshafts and although I have no experience with freezes, it does happen that a frond dries up before the cylindrical crownshaft does. In such a case, it is important not to try and pull off the frond as the palm is not yet ready to discard it. At most you can cut off the frond at the petiole if you find it unsightly. But the crownshaft should most certainly not be tampered with.

peachy

Just cut off the ratty part. I've always cut them before they fall off as I hate the dead messy look, so far its never harmed them, just dont touch anywhere on the crownshaft. Mine go through a few freezes each winter and even survived a black frost. They are tougher than you think.

Peachy

Edited by peachy