IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmy

c8940c7e.jpg

This stone tiki head in my backyard was a birthday present from my business partner, Molly, from a couple of years ago.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

jim--i really like your picture alot--one of my favorites!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Dean,

That Moderator avatar makes me think of Big Brother! I'm sure you could scare the living daylights out of small (and maybe even medium-sized!) children with it...! :D

And Peter,

Even though there's not a palm tree in sight, yours is stunning!

Here's the Dypsis Orange crush shot I used for mine.

Bo-Göran

(Edit: hmmmmm...maybe that wasn't the one...losing track of them all...let me check again!)

post-22-1168666934_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

OK, pretty sure I located it now...have a bunch of these! Can never resist taking another photo when I pass them by with the camera! :)

post-22-1168667169_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Couldnt find anything better when I was in a rush looking for something decent so mine is simply a shot of the sunset from my house.

DSC03211-1.jpg

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Thanks very much Dean, it speaks_Iam watching you !

And now may i see the large image of metallic art which

is highlighted in your dypsis dean I.D.

And Jeff iam very happy to know you too love Kids.

And Bo Goran Should i say anything of your Avatar  :)

And Thanks Dave of so cal for keeping your comic Avatar

Alive !

Thanks guys for sharing,but iam like a dog,never satisfied

with little.So folks kindly join in and keep this thread active

for a while.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

It's amazing how different MY avatar looks when you blow it up.  Check it out!

post-706-1168757138_thumb.jpg

Why not live in the tropics?

Okay, that wasn't funny.  But seriously, my avatar is a picture of Pritchardia Ka'alae growing in habitat in the Waianae mountains of Oahu, and I got it from the U of Hawaii Botany dept website.  Someday (soon hopefully), I'll have a digital camera to take pics that I can post here.  Here's the link to UH Botany site pics of Pritchardias (which I prefer to call Loulu, the Hawaiian name):

www.botany.hawaii.edu/.../carr/pritchardia.htm

Hi,

Nice to see al the avatars in a large version. Mine is a Washingtonia leaf, after a rainfall last may.  It was hot that day :)

Foto002-1.jpg

Robbin

Southwest

boi40.jpg

I just changed mine from Buriti palms to the Crab Man Paje (witch doctor).  He is from the Parintins Festival of 2006.  Here in Amazonia it is good to have spiritual help to keep your plants healthy and the bad vibes away.

I was considering using the Jaguar Cunhaporanga (the fairest maiden in the indian tribe).  It is always good to have jaguar women on your side as well.  But, the Paje seemed to fit better.

boi46.jpg

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Peter's "Girl on the Beach" is really cool.  Hands down winner; I don't know yet.  Dean told me his is a picture of a a neighbor in Hawaii.  They're different over there.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Dear Robbin _ its really cool Man.

&

Dear Amazon Dk_both those stills are fentastic.

but i personally feel that the present still needs

to be photoshoped for more brightness.its should

appear fentastic afterwards_try it my friend.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Mine is of a small vandaceous orchid species named Pelatantheria insectifera.  Flowers are fragrant.

100_0004.jpg

I'm thinking of going to a space shuttle shot instead though...

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Jim in Los Altos, I was impressed by the picture of your backyard with the tiki.  How do you get things to look so tropical when you live so far north in California??

Mine is a multi-branching Archontophoenix alexandrae growing at Helga's Nursery in Julatten,  northern Queensland.  It's one of many that she has in the nursery parking lot.  All of her branching palms are descendants of a palm that she had in another part of Queensland.  I have a bunch of seedlings from Helga's.  About 20% of those she planted have branched so maybe I'll be lucky and some of my 3rd generation palms will branch.  :)

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

(Eric Hawaii @ Jan. 14 2007,19:45)

Jim in Los Altos, I was impressed by the picture of your backyard with the tiki.  How do you get things to look so tropical when you live so far north in California??

Eric,

Just about any landscape "style" is possible in most parts of the San Francisco Bay Area. Do it Alpine style if that's your thing or go tropical rain forest. The cool to mild climate allows a lot of diversity. Everything in my avatar photo has made it through this cold snap unharmed. Actually, planting palms and other subtropicals densely helps protect them when we do get one of these 10 year freezes.

Also Eric, true I'm way north but my minimum temperature in the past week was considerably higher than many of our fellow forum member's way down south. Being between the bay and the ocean (one mountain range) helps a lot!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Interesting, Jim.  Are there any species of palms that are seen in southern Cal that don't do well up where you are?  The impression I'm getting from what you are saying is that you can essentially grow anything that can be grown in So Cal, am I getting that right?

OldNed, Does A. alexandrae grow further north in Australia than does A. cumminghamiana (spelling?)?  I've wondered about this because the former is grown in Hawaii and the latter in southern California, so my impression is that A. alexandrae would grow deeper into the tropics.

Here is mine:

Phoenix canariensis - an exceedingly large female specimen in Anaga, Tenerife

P41521402.jpg

Carlo (Canary Islands)

Here's another pic of a "Branching King"

Dichotomousandmultiple-branchingArc.jpg

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

• 2 weeks later...

I have changed my avatar.  I am so thrilled to get my first bloom on my Metrosideros polymorpha lutea (‘ohi`a lehua mamo).  It's a Hawaiian endemic species considered sacred to the god Laka.  It's growing in my front yard that I am planting out in all Hawaiian natives (Pritchardias included!)

371525577_6da18b6689_b.jpg

i changed mine too when i decided to get some new shots of my Dypsis. I tried to get one that made me look as if i was in a jungle ;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

(Howeadypsis @ Jan. 29 2007,21:25)

i changed mine too when i decided to get some new shots of my Dypsis. I tried to get one that made me look as if i was in a jungle ;)

works for me Larry.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

you know its weird but when i view the posts on my phone,as i am now people's avatars look huge,like regular photos. i can see all the detail on each one so any mugshots you use you better make sure you clip your nose hair ;)

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

I had to change mine from the bizzie to Deans Decipians.

Thanks to Dean for letting me tour and thanks to mattyb for the tour and pics.

1_18_07_019.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Carlo,

What about the photo of the variegated Phoenix canariensis that you posted?  That would be great.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Hey Guys  :)

all your avatars are indeed good,but since iam a phoenix

palm addict,iam completely bowled over by Carlo Marici's

that magnificient female Palm.

But while seeing this in your avatar does not make any

justice to its size.i miss took it for African oil palm.till

this day.

Thanks for that full sized picture of that lovely palm  :)

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Here's mine-some wonderful palm in the Foster Botanical Garden in Honolulu. I just made it black and white.

Full_size_Palm.jpg

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys for those great pics.

For those interested Carlo`s Island (Teneriffe as it used to be known) is on the official Bi for 2010.

I dont think I am letting any cats out of any bags by stating thyat Carlo is an expert on Island Palms around the world.

Shucks he has even built a lecture theatre in honour of the IPS.

Regardez and the beers are on you Carlo

Regardez

Juan

Juan