IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palmy

Hello Kris,

How about your larger pic or any explanation, love to hear what is that palm  :)

Thank very much Morabeza79

To Kamipalms

Your photo is very nice, so beautiful palm. But........I agree with Trópico, disortion make your avatar reduce a half of it's beauty.

Your original photo have size 500*399 pixels. To fixed with 64*64 pixels avatar limitation, try to convert your original photo to 64*51 pixels and upload it.

To Dean Moderator

I just know recently that avatar limitation increase from 64*64 to 90*90 pixels but only work on image link (from other host). When upload avatar to this host, server will resize automatically to 64*64 limitation. I see on this page have both two groups of avatar size 1.)64*64 from upload image on this host   2.)90*90 from photobucket(or any others host) image link

I think we should have the same size for uniformity.

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Hai Redvox  :)

even i wish to post my cycas revoulta still,but there

are 2 problems one is that iam unable to find that in

my desktop images(Collection).and secondly its from

a reputed website.from there i have copied the image.

so do not wish to exhibit it causing any copywright

problems etc..

But even i feel that hey your phoenix ekamanii  is fentastic.

And peter does your 'girl' love palms like all of us here do.

since iam an elegible bachelor i intend to settle down with

her for life in that beautiful island of Bora Bora with all my

container palms air droped to that location.

I wish to call your still as the Utopian Experience.

Thanks you guys & love to see and also hear more of the

members avatar's Exp...

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(redvdox @ Jan. 11 2007,09:25)

I think we should have the same size for uniformity.

Along those lines, it would be cool to have a size like this:

This is from the other forum I usually hang out when I'm not around, were I too am an admin Dean  :)

Is it possible, or is there a size limitation? It would be cool since too small can distort an otherwise beautiful image as this thread proves.

post-47-1168527042_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

As soon as I get a photo of one of my own palms worthy of being an avatar I'll use it. Until then, I found this image from a botanical book printed in 1809. I guess I'm gambling that copyright laws don't extend back 200 years, or that a 1x1 thumbnail image used on a forum won't get me in too much trouble. Now watch as I prove to be a huge daredevil by posting the original image.

post-662-1168536585_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(Peter @ Jan. 10 2007,21:13)

oops:

7E7S0010.jpg

Peter, that has got to be one of the most beautiful photos I've ever seen!!! WOW!!!!!!  I love the clear water, the contrast of her dark skin, the deep blue sky, her dark skin, did I say her.....oh nevermind.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

My wife and I took our first cruise last year

and our first stop was to Colon Panama  

and this is what we first seen as we woke up.

I had to skew this down to  35% to post here

post-209-1168540009_thumb.jpg

will try to do the things that they say can't be done

(MattyB @ Jan. 12 2007,02:34)

oops:

7E7S0010.jpg

Peter, that has got to be one of the most beautiful photos I've ever seen!!! WOW!!!!!!  I love the clear water, the contrast of her dark skin, the deep blue sky, her dark skin, did I say her.....oh nevermind.

There is definitely something odd about me, all I can see is some material to make a nice aloha short sleever. Oh and nice blue sky as well.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

This is my avatar.  A palm salamander from Guatemala. Bolitoglossa doflein

Alan

Edit by Mod: Alan, I had to resize your pic. It was much too large.

post-130-1168544282_thumb.jpg

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Some great and interesting Avatar pics here.  Peter, yours is simply beautiful!  

Mine is a photo I took of the crown of a Pritchardia schattaueri in habitat in South Kona, Hawaii Island, which is very near to where we live (less than 2 miles).

post-90-1168545626_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

(Peter @ Jan. 11 2007,00:13)

oops:

7E7S0010.jpg

See my point about the size?! I've seen this great pic for a while but the person in the pic, I thought, might as well be Peter:

post-47-1168545710_thumb.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Yeah I knew you had an interest in them. Perhaps you should get pics and post them in the pets thread in the palapa. I know I'd like to see the less cuddly ones.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

i put where i live for the avatar, i wish more people put in signature where they are.  most people know wheres tijuana (México)

post-285-1168547841_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

After seeing these great pics I think I need a new avatar.

100_1047.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

This is such a simple thread, but with really great results. It's very interesting to see the larger pics. And their all very good! The Tahiti pic. is absolutely gorgous!

I'm still debating on weather to put my mug up there. It's just my face. :(

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

To everyone with questions about avatar size, etc.

It would be nice to have uniform avatar size. However, our forum software has the uploaded avatar option fixed at 64 x 64. So to have everything uniform I would have to cap the linked option at the small size also.

I like the bigger option. Everybody can do it if they wish using the linked option.

As to the resizing and the "squashed or stretched" look. That is also predetermined by the forum software. There are some tricks to be used with photos to prevent that, and it looks like most have figured that out. With graphics or "canned" gifs and the like, it is more difficult. Also, with photos in a landscape mode (as oppossed to portrait) it seems to resize better.

It would be too difficult for me to try and explain cropping and resizing given all the different editing programs out there. In general, the closer you can get your image to a square size the better it will display as an avatar in this forum. If you can not size to a square satisfactorily, you can change the pixel height and width when entering the avatar info.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

That's OK Jeff, I can see it from here. :laugh:  Just joking. :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Jan. 11 2007,16:36)

That's OK Jeff, I can see it from here. :laugh:  Just joking. :D

Matt,

Thats good! When I first saw yours when you changed over, she looked awfully familar. She looks like a girl I met over in Madagascar at the Le Glacier Bar in the capital. OH.....what fond memories are coming back.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Is this the same girl that accosted Jack in the DR? :laugh:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Jan. 11 2007,12:34)

oops:

7E7S0010.jpg

. . . . and the way her figure so curvaceously mirrors the mold of the mountains . . . . .

pant pant pant

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hmm

My avatar (when it works) is the geeky cartoon kid, "Kudzu" in the cartoon of the same name.  Geeky, but good-hearted, interested but a bit shy sometimes.  (And who, on occasion, wears red shoes . . . )

Kudzu is penned by Doug Marlette, who is also a famous (infamous?) editorial cartoonist, and who wrote a prize-winning novel "The Bridge."

I guess I could use a palm-oriented avatar, but everyone knows this one.  (When it works . . . )

dave

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm thinking that size will be sufficient :blush:

Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

Fuzzy, I want you to blow...your avatar up to a larger size.  It looks like a chinchilla humping Spiderman's head?

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

(Alan_Tampa @ Jan. 11 2007,23:46)

Fuzzy, I want you to blow...your avatar up to a larger size.  It looks like a chinchilla humping Spiderman's head?

Alan

Yep. Shouldn't his spidey sense have kicked in at the very beginning?  :P

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Here's mine, blown up - although I may change it to include a palm.......

post-94-1168608134_thumb.jpg

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I had to use this picture, sadly this majesty is no longer living dispite my efforts to keep it living in zone 8b, it goes to show you cant fool mother nature. i  got shoved around and my lunch money taken!!

post-59-1168610487_thumb.jpg

Here's mine...a shot looking into the mouth of an Agave Tequilana(variegated) It is in it's final death dance as we speak, having bloomed this summer. Good news is, it's covered in bulbils...

P2230018.jpg

I don't know if it's just me, but when I stare at this pic, it makes me feel a bit woozy, like it's in motion

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Thanks for all the nice comments, although I'm not sure I'll should show all of them to my wife  :;):    It was hard to take a bad photo in Bora Bora; if you close your eyes and think of paradise you've pretty much described it.

San Fernando Valley, California

Now !

Al in Kona_thanks for the big one,i thought it was Washy

Filiera fan palm all these days.

Tikitiki_ fentastic close up ! i love it.

And Dear Moderator_ your avatar happens to be the best,

hope to see in big size.so that i can copie it to my HDD. :D  :D

Dear Dave what happen to that comic tin tin type avatar

of yours,i really miss that Guy !

Sunny that hibiscus flowers are my mom's fav,most have

perished in our gardens due to fungus grouth.it appears to

be the double jamican pink i suppose ?

Dear greenhand where are you ??? we all missed you_Pal !

your best still was franksinatra's hand on his face icon.

And steve my buddy you never fail to amaze me by putting

terrefic icos,and the new one of Agave's has bowled me over

since i love all the Xerophytes & Agaves too.

And Jeff you look okay with that avatar,so please stick with it.

Hey i wish all members do some explaining of their Avatars in

this lovely thread.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Greenhand, sorry to hear about your majesty.  You put so much work into that one.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

thanks kris, it is good to be back.  also thanks Kathy , it was doing fine until late last winter it droped to 19 deg and i was out of town on business and wasent able to go down to the lake and protect it with my electrict blanket, when i went down the next week it looked like somebody poured gasoline on it and put a match to it. so i now have a real nice bizzy to replace it with , i will plant it this spring.

(krisachar @ Jan. 12 2007,06:08)

And Dear Moderator_ your avatar happens to be the best,

hope to see in big size.so that i can copie it to my HDD. :D  :D

For you Kris

Mod-2.jpg

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I am a new member here and thought I'd add my picture....I don't post much because I don't know all that much about palms, but I am learning from you guys and girls here on the forum.....Thanks for all the great information that you leave here in the threads...

Curt

post-689-1168654694_thumb.jpg

Cypress, Ca.

Rad!

You are . . . .

Nice to meet you!

dave

This is where my avitar pic. came from. We were on our way up into the Marojejy Mountains in Northeast Madagascar. In order to get to the park entrance, you have to walk right through this village.Some of you might remember this photo from the "Madagascar Expedition April 05" thread.

Jeff

post-23-1168661260_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

wow jeff,i never knew you had such a large family.

all those expeditions were to look at palms,huh? :;):

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Ahh,Oh,aaa,what da mean?? Ya think one of those kids resembles me a little?? ???  What da see some blue eyes in one of them??

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.