IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule Palm lot.

ErikSJI

Some growers in central FL sell below retail, maybe some people do not realize it. Yes, Mark is correct, it is painstakingly difficult to produce an F1 consistently. You always have to be available just at the right time, all the time. Most people do not have the patience & time for it. I know I don't.

• Like 1

Looks very pricey for wholesale to me. I paid $30 for a 3 gallon from mike evans in st pete(not wholesale). Mike has terrific prices though, better than most. MB palms was also selling 3 gallons at $30 (retail) last year. I can sympathize with those trying to make a living, but I am glad I bought mine and my Jubutiagrus from tim hopper last year at better prices. I am also surprised that such a fast growing palm brings such a premium for size. My 3 gallon has taken off like a rocket in just 9 months since planting, its put out 7 fronds and the stem has thickened 4x. I expect that 3 gallon size will get to 15 gallon size in about a year. Usually the fast growing palms dont carry such a size premium. I guess its what the market will bear.

I usally don't comment to people about pricing in regards to selling the XButiagrus but i just got to this time!! People who don't know how to hybridize are allways wondering why the Mule palm is so expensive. Well, viable seeds don't just fall off the trees, you have to do ALOT OF WORK TO GET F1 XButiagrus seeds!!!!! I hate it when people are ignorant yet still run their gator!!! Tom, if you had a clue as to all the work it takes to produce a single Mule palm you would appreciate the fact that MB palms and Mike Evans are selling them so cheap! $30 bucks is not retail,, they're trying to make a dollar to keep their place going and that is cool w/ me. I have produced thousands of hybrids myself and i am a grower, not a nurseryman, so i only sell to whom i want to when i want to.

His (Erik)prices are deffinatly wholesale,, but i guess you are no different than the vultures out there trying to score from someone who is down and trying to make a buck in this bad economy. Get a clue before you post saying his prices are pricey!! Know what you are talking about before putting it in print!

Again, it is ALOT of work to produce the XButiagrus and other hybrids, so if you can find a great deal, then so be it.

. :

As a "vulture" who lost his house and his retirement account 2 years ago I do not take offense to your petulant tirade. And unlike businessmen I dont get to write off any of my losses. But I personally still think a $60(?retail) 3 gallon mule palm is pricey for this area. :huh:

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I personally think you should sit on 'em and field grow them into trees...

They'll be worth more, in my opinion... 10, 15 years down the road...

That's where the monies to be made... When you've got the only big boys around, yaknow...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

"Well, viable seeds don't just fall off the trees,"--I thought this was a naturally occuring hybrid... not saying you don't work hard--just saying they do, on occasion, fall off the tree just exactly like that! :)

"Well, viable seeds don't just fall off the trees,"--I thought this was a naturally occuring hybrid... not saying you don't work hard--just saying they do, on occasion, fall off the tree just exactly like that! :)

Andrew,

They don't naturally hybridize as easily as you would think. Lots of factors cause this and when you get seeds that you think may have some natural hybrids, you really have to let them grow for awhile, sometimes until they produce character leaves, before you can really be sure. Even then, some that you suspect may be hybrids may just turn out to be regular butias. To be sure you have a hybrid, especially if you're going to sell them commercially, is to go through the process that is detailed in link. I'm guessing that the occurrence of natural hybrids where you have queens and butias near each other is less than 5% and probably less than 1%. In short, don't hold your breath. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience

Also, germination rates are low, at least for me, something right around 20 - 30%, and then I lost a few after sprouting. The last batch of 200 seeds, I think I ended up with ~50 plants, 10 of which died from what I think was inferior genetics, and then 5 more were eaten by deer. After three years I have roughly 35 plants off of a single butia inflorescence that are about to or are already pinnate. All of these are going into the yard or as gifts to friends.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I personally think you should sit on 'em and field grow them into trees...

They'll be worth more, in my opinion... 10, 15 years down the road...

That's where the monies to be made... When you've got the only big boys around, yaknow...

~Ray.

Ray it is a little late for that. I would prefer selling something no one else is willing to sell. Mule Palm seedlings. Supplying all the guys who want to grow them out and they can put the time and effort and cash it takes to sell them for the big bucks. I would prefer taking the small change. Considering that just in Florida there are 15,000 big boys sitting there. I believe Mark Heath has the 3rd largest stock of large Mule Palms in Florida if not the whole world. We have gone that route before and sold off most of our stock. It seems I can not keep any of any size as they sell quick. I get calls everyday for Mule Palms and have been referring them to other nurseries. Like I said. We are a two man operation we have no interest in hiring other people on.

This will be the first year I will be pollinating with the owner Mark Lynn. Just to meet demands on seedlings. The only thing Mark does all day every day. Is pollinating and tending to his seedlings.

Last 3 years he did just over 8000 seedlings a year by himself. This year we are going for 12,000. As far as I am aware no one can even come close to this. Even with that production it is still just a drop in the bucket in the palm world. Here is a photo of one green house. All Mule Palm seedlings. We will leave the growing to professionals like Mark Heath and Mike Evans.

1st photo is of Mule Palm seedlings at Mule Palm Nursery. Second photo is of a couple Mule Palm fields at Brooksville palms.

post-1930-092852400 1305906448_thumb.jpg

post-1930-020147300 1305906588_thumb.jpg

post-1930-050597400 1305906606_thumb.jpg

Erik,

What kind of germination rates do you get?

Germination rates for the first 4 months out is around 35%. In heated beds. The ones that do not sprout get put into another area with out heated beds and a year out we get another 15%.

So if you do the Math. We need around 30,000 seeds a year to get 10,000 live plants. As you know there are losses to the seedlings as well.

So by your seed out put per inflorescence you would need to hit at least 150 a year. Mark has a pollination technique that I have never read about in any books or have seen by any other pollinator on this board. So his Yield is quite high per inflorescence.

Erik,

Germination rates for the first 4 months out is around 35%. In heated beds. The ones that do not sprout get put into another area with out heated beds and a year out we get another 15%.

So if you do the Math. We need around 30,000 seeds a year to get 10,000 live plants. As you know there are losses to the seedlings as well.

So by your seed out put per inflorescence you would need to hit at least 150 a year. Mark has a pollination technique that I have never read about in any books or have seen by any other pollinator on this board. So his Yield is quite high per inflorescence.

Seems like that would take around 30 to 50 mature butias to get that many inflorescences. Those are some crazy numbers. It takes me about 20-30 mins to emasculate a single inflorescence. You guys are gonna have to be machines!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Erik,

Seems like that would take around 30 to 50 mature butias to get that many inflorescences. Those are some crazy numbers. It takes me about 20-30 mins to emasculate a single inflorescence. You guys are gonna have to be machines!

Mark does it on an average of four hours a day during pollination season. Just pollinating. That does not include the time of collecting the pollen and preparing it from the syagrus. Nor the seed collecting and cleaning and planting. He has all his trees marked and cataloged and has done this for over 10 years. He knows when each of them flower what each of them yield per year. It amazes me he can point at one of them and say that one will be ready next week without even looking in the tree. I believe the count on the Butia's is 28. Four of those are for trying the other crosses this year.

After thinkin' bout it...

I'm guilty of getting good deals on palms... Below retail prices...

I'm taking advantage of the current economic drama...

But if it were'nt for good deals, I prolly wouldn't be into the palm game...

My apologies go out to you Erik for getting the initial statements...

...I just wasn't truly aware of myself gettin' deals all the time :(

But I do.

I could see your Mules goin' for $60 or $80 in the BigBoxes... Can't you hook up with them somehow...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

After thinkin' bout it...

I'm guilty of getting good deals on palms... Below retail prices...

I'm taking advantage of the current economic drama...

But if it were'nt for good deals, I prolly wouldn't be into the palm game...

My apologies go out to you Erik for getting the initial statements...

...I just wasn't truly aware of myself gettin' deals all the time :(

But I do.

I could see your Mules goin' for $60 or $80 in the BigBoxes... Can't you hook up with them somehow...

~Ray.

We are hooked up with them Ray.

I don't think they've started selling them yet, have they...

I'm in HD all the time, and have yet to see them...

I think you'll corner that market, for sure.

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

As far as I am aware no one becomes rich selling palms. Unless your wealthy to begin with.

The saying Ive heard is---

"Know how to become a millionaire in the nursery business? Start with $10 million and keep going till youve got $1 million left."

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

As it took me 12 years to even find a mule for sale, I think these are pretty good value for someone wanting a bulk purchase. Mine was only 50cms tall, in a 30cm pot and it was $60. (I got it for my b'day last year and love it. It's doubled in size since then too)

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Being in the nursery business is a labor of love and you will always have insulting cheapscates trying to break you down. It is very apparent that Palmtalk is infested with these types of creeps, and they would never spend a nickle for someones hard work. These people will get redirected to the exit as soon as thier squeeky meallymouths start up!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Bob, it is in every industry. The people pissed Wal-mart is destroying small business but who are the first people in line when it opens so they can buy their Dorritos for $.10 cheaper a bag then from their buddies market.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Being in the nursery business is a labor of love and you will always have insulting cheapscates trying to break you down. It is very apparent that Palmtalk is infested with these types of creeps, and they would never spend a nickle for someones hard work. These people will get redirected to the exit as soon as thier squeeky meallymouths start up!

Interesting way to put it. :blink:

Surprising coming from Cailfornia, who's economy is far worse than FL's...

In my opinion, a sale is a sale.

If you don't sell it, your sittin' on it.

If you've no room to sit on it, your gettin' back'd up...

I would think if your movin' product, your makin' money...

If your sittin' on product, your not makin' money...

That means, if you've got a buyer... You need to sell to him, before he heads on down the road...

Have you ever had that happen... Well you will if you don't sell him something...

As a seller, you need that money outta the buyers pocket, and into yours...

Any comments or perils of wisdom...

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Interesting way to put it. :blink:

Surprising coming from Cailfornia, who's economy is far worse than FL's...

In my opinion, a sale is a sale.

If you don't sell it, your sittin' on it.

If you've no room to sit on it, your gettin' back'd up...

I would think if your movin' product, your makin' money...

If your sittin' on product, your not makin' money...

That means, if you've got a buyer... You need to sell to him, before he heads on down the road...

Have you ever had that happen... Well you will if you don't sell him something...

As a seller, you need that money outta the buyers pocket, and into yours...

Any comments or perils of wisdom...

Yeah. Selling for a loss is bad business. Plain and simple.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Any luck selling these?

They are still available. But I am quite enjoying the dialogue.

As a "vulture" who lost his house and his retirement account 2 years ago I do not take offense to your petulant tirade. And unlike businessmen I dont get to write off any of my losses. But I personally still think a $60(?retail) 3 gallon mule palm is pricey for this area. :huh:

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Well said Mark, for the most part, but a sale is not a sale in my book unless :) you realize a profit. I'd rather sit on it than give it away to break even as plants don't "backup", they grow larger and more expensive in fact. Moving product to make money is true if you realize profit only, otherwize you're spinning your wheels an staying stationary. Being of the mindset and haveing a reputation of growing and selling the best and rarest plant products will keep the fleamarket snivelers at Wallmart and Joe Dirt the queenpalm nursery. Joe Dirt probably grew too many common palms and now he can't afford to water and maintain them, so he's backed up and givin em away to the fleas. I don't care if someone goes out the gate with thier "milk money" I don't need it more than they do! If you come to our nursery with appreciation, interest, and respect for what we are all about( true love and passion for all plants and animals) you will walk out the gate with something special and the money spent and earned is meaningfull :)

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

No thanks.

Not interested in any MulePalms.

There are too many others out there to stay focused on one palm... :unsure:

I'm a collector, not a nurseryman...

Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I still think your pricin' yourself outta the game.

Edited by Palmə häl′ik

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I just deleted a slew of posts that mentioned a dozen or more nurseries that I'm sure are not IPS Members. Please remember this is a listing and advertising area for users who belong to the IPS only.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I also think $60 bucks for a 3 gallon Mule is expensive as well. My prices are cheeper and so is Eriks,,, so what's your point??

huh :blink:

This guy Eriks askin' retail prices for a wholesale lot....

That's what were tryin' to deciper... :huh:

I understand you prices are cheaper.... But on the wholesale level, I would think what...

50% off retail Right...

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I also think $60 bucks for a 3 gallon Mule is expensive as well. My prices are cheeper and so is Eriks,,, so what's your point??

huh :blink:

This guy Eriks askin' retail prices for a wholesale lot....

That's what were tryin' to deciper... :huh:

I understand you prices are cheaper.... But on the wholesale level, I would think what...

50% off retail Right...

50% is about correct (30%-40% is more like it) when purchasing a LARGE palm. When someone sells you a 3 gallon they are breaking even at best because you have alot of time devoted into this little palm, potting up, pulling weeds, cost of water/electric, fertilizer, fungicide, potting mix, and keep in mind that Mules speed up after the 3 gallon stage. Don't forget the hired help does'nt work for free either. I spend about $4000 a year,, and i don't sell enough to get that back but i am a different buisnessman, i am a grower so i am looking to the future.

Most collectors do not have a clue about all these aspects because they don't have these problems. They have what they can handle on their own. For example, Subdue cost close to $300 bucks for a quart, then you can add all the other expenses that i have'nt even mentioned above. For example, my back two acres are devoted to my growing project. Think about how much i paid for that land in Orlando, it aint cheap!!

Just keep these things in mind now that you have a better idea of what it is like on the other end.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

I still think you guys are developing some sort of 'emotional attachment' to these Mules...

You keep throwin' out there how labor intensive they are, yada, yada, yada...

Your costs... yada, yada, yada...

This is all illrelevant to the consumer..

Picture this lil scenario...

Granny Maes strollin' through the nursery...

"Why I think I'm a gonna buy a couple palm trees today, son..."

So she rolls over to the 'cold tolerant section'...

Sizes up the area, and puts a couple palm trees side by side...

One three gallon QueenPalm, and one three gallon Butia hybrid...

Priced at $9.99 and $44.99

Do you think Granny Mae takes into consideration all the time and effort going into these MulePalms...

I don't think so.

She's thinkin'...

Hey, I see these QueenPalms everywhere... I know they'll make it...

Why I could buy four of these for just one of those...

I just don't have the foggiest idea why...

GrannyMae's gonna walk outta there with a couple Queens, I guarantee it.

From a consumers stand point, your pricin' yourself outta the game...

All your clientele will not be coming from big dolla PalmBeach, and Miami.

Sorry to say, those people down there could care less about a MulePalm. :unsure:

Strictly all my opinion; of course.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

You are certainly right about this.I was at my friends nursery last saturday and he had 6ft Cabada palms at $20 as he wanted to get rid of them.He also had Areca's around the same size for $10.He sold 8 arecas and 0 cabadas,I tried to convince a few of the people that the Cabada's were dirt cheap, all said they would take the Arecas.Collectors will pay more but most homeowners will not.I think people look at their house differently now.It is just a place to live and not neccessarily an investment.

With 125,000 new ones on the way this season, you must have unlimited space and unlimited resources...

I still think you guys are developing some sort of 'emotional attachment' to these Mules...

Do you think Granny Mae takes into consideration all the time and effort going into these MulePalms...

I don't think so.

She's thinkin'...

Sorry to say, those people down there could care less about a MulePalm. :unsure:

Back to supply and demand. Queen palms fall from the sky on a regular basis.

The nursery man should have been slapped for selling a queen palm as a cold hardy palm to Grannie. She will be digging it up in a few years and looking for a Mule palm as hers have now turned brown like her neighbors. Now she will have just paid triple when she should have educated herself before making a purchase as the nursery man steered her wrong. No return business will be coming his way.

Who wants cold hardy palms in Miami? I can tell you they may be rethinking that after the last couple winters. However most the clientell comes from Texas. With all the problems with Texas pheonix palm decline and lethal yellowing a lot of palms are on a no shipping list. The Mule palm does not fall under this category. So while everyone is sitting on these acres and acres of palms they can not ship out of state they have to drop there prices to next to nothing as the only place they can sell it is in Florida. So while all of these big wholesalers are ripping these palms out and giving them to the box stores for pennies on the dollar to sell to grannie they are filling there fields with a palm they can ship worldwide.

Strictly my opinon of course.

I apologize to the moderator in advance as I am not aware if Nurseryman is an IPS member. Nor Grannie for that matter.

I don't think mule palms are for the average guy's yard... I don't think Grannie should be diggin up queens at her advanced age, either! I know what it's like to have a palm sitting for what you feel is a fair price. A fair and reasonable price is one thing that means nothing if you can't sell it for that. Just because I beat The local Box store's price for a Bismarckia, doesn't mean I win all of the customers--maybe neither of us are selling them! So If these hard working growers wanna sit on there merchandise because they think what they are asking is fair market price, then that's fine. Just know that correlation does not prove causation(fair market price does not mean an instant sale).

Guys--Just be careful when you mention anything about what's "fair". "Fair" is when fat little pigs win blue ribbons! :lol::lol: That's what my dad always told me.

I don't think mule palms are for the average guy's yard... I don't think Grannie should be diggin up queens at her advanced age, either! I know what it's like to have a palm sitting for what you feel is a fair price. A fair and reasonable price is one thing that means nothing if you can't sell it for that. Just because I beat The local Box store's price for a Bismarckia, doesn't mean I win all of the customers--maybe neither of us are selling them! So If these hard working growers wanna sit on there merchandise because they think what they are asking is fair market price, then that's fine. Just know that correlation does not prove causation(fair market price does not mean an instant sale).

Guys--Just be careful when you mention anything about what's "fair". "Fair" is when fat little pigs win blue ribbons! :lol::lol: That's what my dad always told me.

That is a good quote. I like it.

Offtopic,

Erik, do you recieved my answer on your started conversation somewhile ago?

Southwest

[--Just be careful when you mention anything about what's "fair". "Fair" is when fat little pigs win blue ribbons! :lol::lol: That's what my dad always told me.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

I don't think so.

She's thinkin'...

Who said i was worried about what granny Mae thinks??? I get your point but,,, i am not gonna sell to the big box stores, i only sell at the moment to people from here who request them. Also, in the future i will sell to whom calls and inquires about price/size ect. So when they call they'll allready know what they're buying. I will never try and sell them to the average typical homeowner who does'nt know sqat because i would get into the exact same disscusion w/ them as to the one i am having w/ you!!!!

The Mule palm is supreme compaired to the Queen palm and i am only interested in people who know this. Not the "tire kickers".

I am sure Erik feels this way as well!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Granny Mae won't have to pull out her Queen Palms. Here in SoFla the hurricanes will do it for her. She simply has to invest in a chain saw.

Betty

There is always enough room for another palm!

Back to supply and demand. Queen palms fall from the sky on a regular basis.

The nursery man should have been slapped for selling a queen palm as a cold hardy palm to Grannie. She will be digging it up in a few years and looking for a Mule palm as hers have now turned brown like her neighbors. Now she will have just paid triple when she should have educated herself before making a purchase as the nursery man steered her wrong. No return business will be coming his way.

Who wants cold hardy palms in Miami? I can tell you they may be rethinking that after the last couple winters. However most the clientell comes from Texas. With all the problems with Texas pheonix palm decline and lethal yellowing a lot of palms are on a no shipping list. The Mule palm does not fall under this category. So while everyone is sitting on these acres and acres of palms they can not ship out of state they have to drop there prices to next to nothing as the only place they can sell it is in Florida. So while all of these big wholesalers are ripping these palms out and giving them to the box stores for pennies on the dollar to sell to grannie they are filling there fields with a palm they can ship worldwide.

...So the 'ol PseudoCoCos is no longer a cold tolerant palm eh

Once again, your developing some sort of 'emotional attachment' to your palms...

I just don't think they're all that special. Your a great parent to give them such attention though...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy