IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule Palm lot.

ErikSJI

To what Mark said about his future customers: I always say an educated customer is my best and preferred client--no one will want a mule palm if they don't know what it is. Frankly, there are many people who, once they find out it has anything to do with a queen palm, will shut the door on it right away! This is often the case with any Syagrus...

Secondly, can I go out on a limb to say, near everyone on this forum developes "emotional attatchments" with the plants they are growning?? I know I'm sick enough to develope them with plants I don't even own! I'll catch myself taking the long way home to see a certain palm in another person's yard--just to see how she's growing :) I don't think this "emotional attatchment" should effect the price at which one sells a particular plant--If it did, they wouldn't be able to sell it!! Most of us know the current market for all the things we admire, and the price is what it is...

Offtopic,

Erik, do you recieved my answer on your started conversation somewhile ago?

Yes I did Robbin. I will email you.

I still think you guys are developing some sort of 'emotional attachment' to these Mules...

You keep throwin' out there how labor intensive they are, yada, yada, yada...

Your costs... yada, yada, yada...

This is all illrelevant to the consumer..

Picture this lil scenario...

Granny Maes strollin' through the nursery...

"Why I think I'm a gonna buy a couple palm trees today, son..."

So she rolls over to the 'cold tolerant section'...

Sizes up the area, and puts a couple palm trees side by side...

One three gallon QueenPalm, and one three gallon Butia hybrid...

Priced at $9.99 and $44.99

Do you think Granny Mae takes into consideration all the time and effort going into these MulePalms...

I don't think so.

She's thinkin'...

Hey, I see these QueenPalms everywhere... I know they'll make it...

Why I could buy four of these for just one of those...

I just don't have the foggiest idea why...

GrannyMae's gonna walk outta there with a couple Queens, I guarantee it.

From a consumers stand point, your pricin' yourself outta the game...

All your clientele will not be coming from big dolla PalmBeach, and Miami.

Sorry to say, those people down there could care less about a MulePalm. :unsure:

Strictly all my opinion; of course.

Who said i was worried about what granny Mae thinks??? I get your point but,,, i am not gonna sell to the big box stores, i only sell at the moment to people from here who request them. Also, in the future i will sell to whom calls and inquires about price/size ect. So when they call they'll allready know what they're buying. I will never try and sell them to the average typical homeowner who does'nt know sqat because i would get into the exact same disscusion w/ them as to the one i am having w/ you!!!!

The Mule palm is supreme compaired to the Queen palm and i am only interested in people who know this. Not the "tire kickers".

I am sure Erik feels this way as well!

I do agree. Just like you Mark. Someone who calls or comes down our driveway for Mule Palms. Knows exactly what they are looking for as they have done there research. We are not open to the general public to keep most of these tire kickers headed to there local Walmart. It is also obvious that pollinators are not the only people who think this palm is special. The FNGLA Florida, Nursery, Growers, Landscapers association would not have just named it one of there palms of the year if they did not think it was a great palm. The word is getting out there.

• 11 years later...

Mule palms are very very expensive here in Arizona and actually they are hard to find. When you do find them, usually in 25 gallon pots, they are selling for $495-595 each. And they are all about 5 feet tall. Sure wish I could find some cheaper, Cause I would have them all over yard. They are great for shading, dark green all year long, can handle high heat and cold.  paul from Glendale, AZ

All the local HD currently have lots of 15 gal plants for $299...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year