IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule Palm lot.

ErikSJI

Mule Palm lot.

100 3 gallons

20 7 gallons

4 15 gallons.

$5000.00 for the lot.

post-1930-060028100 1305402279_thumb.jpg

post-1930-059824600 1305402281_thumb.jpg

post-1930-037653100 1305402283_thumb.jpg

What do the 7 gallons run?

These are only being sold as a group. I have no intentions of seperating.

wouldn't be much meat left on the bone at five large :hmm:

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

It seems a bit retail, but if you had the cheese--imagine how many mule palms you could place in your yard!!!!!!

It seems a bit retail, but if you had the cheese--imagine how many mule palms you could place in your yard!!!!!!

Hmmm...124?

It breaks down like this.

3 gallons $35.00 each x 100 = $3500.00

7 gallons $50.00 each x 20 = $1000.00

15 gallon $125.00 each x 4 = $ 500.00

Nothing left on the bone? I will take that challenge. Find a better advertised price wholesale on Mule Palms and I will beat it by 15%.

Hmmmm.

There are 3gal Mules in St.Pete for $30ea

Ands thats retail, not bulk.

If you get five large for your stock, your killin' it...

I can't see anyone wanting to stock up on ANYTHING these days anyways... :huh:

GoodLuck to ya...

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I predict your next post will say, ALL SOLD.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I predict your next post will say, ALL SOLD.

I predict you will be right... As I have sold 20,000 of them in the last 3 years. They sell pretty quickly. I know of the ones you speak of in St. Pete we sold them to him as Liners. He comes by a couple times a year. We also gave him one of the Butia X Cocos crosses. Maybe he will posts some photos of it soon as it is going pinnate.

Erik,

Considering what I have paid for them in the past, and even in this economy your prices seem fine. I can see someone giving a negative comment on a nefarious sale, but it's a pretty dick move to dis someone on a price because you think their prices should be SLIGHTLY lower. Especially when you have no interest in being part of the sale.

Our nursery folks are hurting enough, they don't need to be attacked by the inconsiderate or the dumb in this forum.

A 7 gal mule at $50 is still a great price.

Good Luck and I hope you move your material quickly.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

meow. :unsure:

Sounds like your takin' it all the wrong way tough guy.

I'm just sayin', I've seen 'em cheaper.

It doesn't compute buying bulk, and paying more.

Do the math homey.

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Just my 2 cents - not that it matters, but I sell plants for a living, and a good friendly attitude is number one, followed by being smart with pricing. Do you actually want to sell them or not? That's what you need to ask yourself, especially on a Palm Website.

Then, you need to realize that there are not many people walking around with $5,000 to spend (And then the cost of moving, and maintaining, and installing) them. If you want to sell a large group of plants, then the price should at least reflect that, compared to buying in smaller groups.

Maybe you sold that other guy liners, and he is selling them cheaper - well, he is the one who is going to make the money, sorry to say.

This is just a casual monologue on my part - nothing personal, just some thoughts running around in my head.

Best to you - and I do hope you find a buyer.

We will see; supply and demand will tell. I either buy retail or wholesale but I never pay collector price too spensive for me. I would pick up a 3 gallon for 40 bucks but he is not selling them as singles. If this is supposed to be wholsesle then the retail for the 3 gals would be 80 dollars is that a fair price? It is funny though that you will not sell them individually here but you will on this site.

http://realpalmtrees.com/community/palm-trees-broad-groups/hybrid-palm-trees/mule-palm-availability-3-gallon-15-gallon-219.html

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

We will see; supply and demand will tell. I either buy retail or wholesale but I never pay collector price too spensive for me. I would pick up a 3 gallon for 40 bucks but he is not selling them as singles. If this is supposed to be wholsesle then the retail for the 3 gals would be 80 dollars is that a fair price? It is funny though that you will not sell them individually here but you will on this site.

http://realpalmtrees.com/community/palm-trees-broad-groups/hybrid-palm-trees/mule-palm-availability-3-gallon-15-gallon-219.html

Thread date is from 2009. Obviously things have changed.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Yes, things have changed - for instance the economy has gone downhill, and people have less money to spend.

Yes, things have changed - for instance the economy has gone downhill, and people have less money to spend.

I'm still trying to figure out what your issue is here? Especially since you have no interest in purchasing these plants.

Do you even know what these plants usually go for? I bought a 7 gal a couple months ago and it was definitely more than $50. Something like $80. Funny thing, the price that I bought it at was MUCH lower than what they were going for a couple of years ago, so I felt like I did alright. I understand the laws of supply and demand and I know that folks have less money right now but I just wonder why anyone is taking issue with this particular thread.

So you think he should be selling them for less? Where are you getting this info? Some homey on the internet said he could get a plant for $30 bucks and now its gospel?

Nursers are really hurting, and most are going out of business if they haven't already sunk, so I'm wondering what the motivation is behind someone trying to derail and honest sale.

I appreciate you keeping all of us from getting ripped off, but I believe most of these comments are misguided.

Maybe Erik should just give his palms away for free.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I'm just another plant business trying to pass on some outsider observations to help another plant business make it. As I said, nothing personal - no issue here.

I had no clue this sale would cause such an uproar. Thank you for your advice and your kind words or not so kind words. Haaa.

If you are looking for singles please let me know I can provide you with nurseries who are selling retail. I do not have the time to do this as it is pollination season and we are only a two man operation.

I am all about promoting this palm regardless of who the vendor or nursery is and have no problem sending you there way. However I doubt they have 3 gallon Mule palms for sale. I believe the average wholesale pricing to be $50.00 for 3 gallons of this size. Yet availability almost Nil.

Please call around and do your research.

Supply and Demand Keywords. Supply low. Demand High. Prices competitive.

Nothing left on the bone? I will take that challenge. Find a better advertised price wholesale on Mule Palms and I will beat it by 15%.

Let me add to this thread. I am a Mule palm grower and i have THOUSANDS of them that i have produced myself.

Those prices are fantastic! Let's compare to my prices.

3 gallon =$40

7 gallon =$70

15 gallon=$100

Everybody has their own reasons for selling as a whole or selling individual. Give Erik a break, these are great prices and i am getting sick and tired of everybody trying to steal stock and blaming it on the economy.

I was at one time the cheapest as far as per foot of wood,,, but i got fed up w/ people still trying to beat me down so i raised my prices!!

I am a grower, so i only sell to whom i want to sell to. But my main concern is to fill up my Mule palm grove.

My two cents.

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

It is true that Mule palms are hard to come by. I also think that if this were live, I'd have to hold Tank back from the reporter! Calm down, Mr. Tank. People can sell their property for whatever price they can get away with. People can give their opinions on what other people do. Some people find deals, and some people argue about how they didn't get ripped off...

Mark you have some great looking palms and great prices.

Let me add to this thread. I am a Mule palm grower and i have THOUSANDS of them that i have produced myself.

Those prices are fantastic! Let's compare to my prices.

3 gallon =$40

7 gallon =$70

15 gallon=$100

Everybody has their own reasons for selling as a whole or selling individual. Give Erik a break, these are great prices and i am getting sick and tired of everybody trying to steal stock and blaming it on the economy.

I was at one time the cheapest as far as per foot of wood,,, but i got fed up w/ people still trying to beat me down so i raised my prices!!

I am a grower, so i only sell to whom i want to sell to. But my main concern is to fill up my Mule palm grove.

My two cents.

Mark

Looks very pricey for wholesale to me. I paid $30 for a 3 gallon from mike evans in st pete(not wholesale). Mike has terrific prices though, better than most. MB palms was also selling 3 gallons at $30 (retail) last year. I can sympathize with those trying to make a living, but I am glad I bought mine and my Jubutiagrus from tim hopper last year at better prices. I am also surprised that such a fast growing palm brings such a premium for size. My 3 gallon has taken off like a rocket in just 9 months since planting, its put out 7 fronds and the stem has thickened 4x. I expect that 3 gallon size will get to 15 gallon size in about a year. Usually the fast growing palms dont carry such a size premium. I guess its what the market will bear.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Looks very pricey for wholesale to me. I paid $30 for a 3 gallon from mike evans in st pete(not wholesale). Mike has terrific prices though, better than most. MB palms was also selling 3 gallons at $30 (retail) last year. I can sympathize with those trying to make a living, but I am glad I bought mine and my Jubutiagrus from tim hopper last year at better prices. I am also surprised that such a fast growing palm brings such a premium for size. My 3 gallon has taken off like a rocket in just 9 months since planting, its put out 7 fronds and the stem has thickened 4x. I expect that 3 gallon size will get to 15 gallon size in about a year. Usually the fast growing palms don't carry such a size premium. I guess its what the market will bear.

Wow,

Then if his retail is $30 then his wholesale will be around $15, right? Having created this hybrid in the past, I can't see the point of going through the trouble of "creating" a verified hybrid for retail sale if that is the price going forward. Check out Tim Hoppers Jubutiagrus thread if you are unaware of the steps. It is generally a bit of a pain in the ass to create a clean hybrid of any kind. I don't know Mike but I'm wondering if he has a wholesale price for this plant.

I guess folks have every right to state an opinion on an open board no matter how inconsiderate or pointless their comments are, and I have every right to express my opinion on their opinion.

There is a level of common courtesy that I BELIEVE should be adhered to. This is an open forum and folks dip into disrespect all the time, intentionally or unintentionally but generally most folks try an avoid this. Obviously its up to the individual members as to whether they feel the same.

There is a difference in a snark and calling someones credibility into question.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I would want a Jubea X Butia over a Syagrus X Butia! That's what you guys should be selling... :lol:

Looks very pricey for wholesale to me. I paid $30 for a 3 gallon from mike evans in st pete(not wholesale). Mike has terrific prices though, better than most. MB palms was also selling 3 gallons at $30 (retail) last year. I can sympathize with those trying to make a living, but I am glad I bought mine and my Jubutiagrus from tim hopper last year at better prices. I am also surprised that such a fast growing palm brings such a premium for size. My 3 gallon has taken off like a rocket in just 9 months since planting, its put out 7 fronds and the stem has thickened 4x. I expect that 3 gallon size will get to 15 gallon size in about a year. Usually the fast growing palms dont carry such a size premium. I guess its what the market will bear.

That is amazing growth. I believe Tim Hopper was selling Jubutyagrus for $48.00 a liner each and $88.00 for his 1 gallons. I have 6 of them and they are doing well. His listing is still up on ebay.

So from 3 gallon to 15 gallon in one year. Guess you know why there are hardly any 3 gallons on the market as people hold on to them to triple there value in a year.

I would want a Jubea X Butia over a Syagrus X Butia! That's what you guys should be selling... :lol:

Working on it. We have received Jubaea, parajubaea and syagrus schizophylla pollen this year.

Working on it. We have received Jubaea, parajubaea and syagrus schizophylla pollen this year.

Excellent, good luck with your pollination.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Very cool--You are onto something lucrative(make something no one has and EVERYONE will want one!). Maybe when you are down the road, a bit, would you possibly sell me some liners? I'll buy in bulk...

As far as I am aware no one becomes rich selling palms. Unless your wealthy to begin with. I will post photos next month of the progress.

The first round on the Butia X Parajubaea not so good as most aborted. Second round getting ready to start next week.

First round on the butia x syagrus schizophylla still holding strong.

Butia x Jubaea starts next month.

Jubaea x butia requires a Jubaea mother, and the mothers genes will be more dominant.

Tom Blank

Jubaea x butia requires a Jubaea mother, and the mothers genes will be more dominant.

I am aware of that. Which makes me wonder. I have seen the Butia X jubaea and Jubaea x Butia. You would think the Jubaea x Butia would be a much harder cross to do and more expensive. But the pricing does not seem to reflect that.

That is amazing growth. I believe Tim Hopper was selling Jubutyagrus for $48.00 a liner each and $88.00 for his 1 gallons. I have 6 of them and they are doing well. His listing is still up on ebay.

So from 3 gallon to 15 gallon in one year. Guess you know why there are hardly any 3 gallons on the market as people hold on to them to triple there value in a year.

I got a great deal from tim on 3 jubutiagrus((jubaea x butia)xbutia)x syagrus) liners, but I would also say they are worth $48 each. These are decended from Jubaea x butia as opposed to the somewhat more common butia x jubaea mother. I would say either cross would be well worth the price as they are both rare. They are beautiful palms with a different look than a mule. My little strap leaf liners I bought last fall have put out 3-4 pinnate fronds already. I have 2 in the ground and one in a ten gallon that will be in the ground shortly. These palms have a stunning satin(non waxy) green frond color, different than any of my other palms.

Tom Blank

I got a great deal from tim on 3 jubutiagrus((jubaea x butia)xbutia)x syagrus) liners, but I would also say they are worth $48 each. These are decended from Jubaea x butia as opposed to the somewhat more common butia x jubaea mother. I would say either cross would be well worth the price as they are both rare. They are beautiful palms with a different look than a mule. My little strap leaf liners I bought last fall have put out 3-4 pinnate fronds already. I have 2 in the ground and one in a ten gallon that will be in the ground shortly. These palms have a stunning satin(non waxy) green frond color, different than any of my other palms.

They are definite winners. I am still curious to know as I have heard conflicting reports on the Butia x Jubaea putting of good seed. Is this the case? Or is this palm actuall being back pollinated with the Butia and putting off seed.

They are definite winners. I am still curious to know as I have heard conflicting reports on the Butia x Jubaea putting of good seed. Is this the case? Or is this palm actuall being back pollinated with the Butia and putting off seed.

I dont know that one for sure. I heard that Patrick shaffers jubutiagrus were (butia x jubaea)x syagrus. Tim Hoppers are ((jubaea x butia)xbutia)x syagrus). Question is, does % jubaea blood mean as much as mothers genetic line which tends to strongly control genetics also. From what I have seen Jubaea x butia looks notably more "jubaea like" than butia x jubaea.

Tom Blank

I usally don't comment to people about pricing in regards to selling the XButiagrus but i just got to this time!! People who don't know how to hybridize are allways wondering why the Mule palm is so expensive. Well, viable seeds don't just fall off the trees, you have to do ALOT OF WORK TO GET F1 XButiagrus seeds!!!!! I hate it when people are ignorant yet still run their gator!!! Tom, if you had a clue as to all the work it takes to produce a single Mule palm you would appreciate the fact that MB palms and Mike Evans are selling them so cheap! $30 bucks is not retail,, they're trying to make a dollar to keep their place going and that is cool w/ me. I have produced thousands of hybrids myself and i am a grower, not a nurseryman, so i only sell to whom i want to when i want to.

His (Erik)prices are deffinatly wholesale,, but i guess you are no different than the vultures out there trying to score from someone who is down and trying to make a buck in this bad economy. Get a clue before you post saying his prices are pricey!! Know what you are talking about before putting it in print!

Again, it is ALOT of work to produce the XButiagrus and other hybrids, so if you can find a great deal, then so be it.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!