IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yes, another Dypsis query

richnorm

Well, I have a "decipiens" that I grew from seed that has that regular leaflet thing that yours has. It is different to my other decipiens from the same seed batch. Have wondered the same thing myself.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

In the past year, I've decided there is 3 or 4 forms of decipeins. As to whether ther they will be different species.. who knows?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I agree that it looks like the 'thin leaf' D. decipiens.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks for the replies. I should have added that this came in with a batch of Dypsis ambositrae seed. Anyone know if they are known to grow alongside each other?

They're both from the high plateau. Not sure if they grow right along side each other though. D. ambositrae does look like that in the leaves, but the lack of a prominent red petiole on the newest leaf and the look of the stems says Dypsis decipiens to me.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Do you recall if it "split" in two like a D. decipiens, or did it sucker like D. baronii and onilahensis? I have never seen a DD split so completely at such a young age.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Thanks for the replies. I should have added that this came in with a batch of Dypsis ambositrae seed. Anyone know if they are known to grow alongside each other?

Rich,

Saw them both in habitat( which was really cool!), but never saw them both "side by side" close. A hill or two away, maybe a few clicks drive, but basically close. Hope this helps.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the further input guys. I can't confirm how it split but would expect it was like a decipiens or ambositrae as both stems are tillering. Just wondered if it could be a hybrid given the very few species present in the collection area. I know natural hybrids are extremely rare but it is hard to place as decipiens and certainly is not what we are all growing as ambo. It split at a very early stage.

Do you recall if it "split" in two like a D. decipiens, or did it sucker like D. baronii and onilahensis? I have never seen a DD split so completely at such a young age.

My D decipiens can and have split very young. Interestingly they came from the same seed batch that had the one plant like the first pic in it. As Bill said, maybe a few different varieties going around.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I have a couple of small ones that split at that size. I've seen some at Jungle Music that split in 2 gallon pots.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 2 weeks later...

Does this look like a form of decipiens? It's another plant from a batch of ambo seed which looks (and feels) a little different. The typical form is in the background. These are 3 y/o from seed.

cheers

Richard

post-264-019590700 1304836855_thumb.jpg

It looks more along the lines of a standard decipeins...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It looks more along the lines of a standard decipeins...

Thanks Bill. It has some of the ambo colour and the leaflets are softer than decipiens but harder than the typical ambo. Seems too fast for decipiens in our climate too and really doesn't look like other decipiens that I have grown.

Here's another couple from a batch of ambo that maybe have some decipiens in them. Those bricks are about 10 inches long which lends scale to those bifid leaves.

post-264-074573200 1305107814_thumb.jpg

The one on the left in post 15 is not heteromorpha. I took a few photos today. I can see decipiens and ambo in this one. What do you think guys?

post-264-046562300 1305607567_thumb.jpg

Leaf detail. Wider leaflet spacing than ambo and without the twist. Thicker leaflets but not as tough as decipiens. Keel/channel junction is abrupt like decipiens rather than ambo.

post-264-007762500 1305608036_thumb.jpg