IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Monsters

Daryl

A few of my young monsters.

post-1300-079372800 1306784604_thumb.jpg

Pigafetta

post-1300-008094800 1306784676_thumb.jpg

Dypsis prestoniana

post-1300-082366900 1306784716_thumb.jpg

Metroxylon amicarum

post-1300-074336900 1306784753_thumb.jpg

Mauritia flexuosa

post-1300-087983500 1306784785_thumb.jpg

Tahina

post-1300-018862400 1306784810_thumb.jpg

A couple of Attalea cohune I still need to plant

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's a shot of my Lemurophoenix, it's really starting to look nice.

post-1300-034496100 1306786016_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Nice Tim! And did you ever plant out that Caesalpinia peltophoroides? Can't wait to get by your place one day.

San Fernando Valley, California

Very nice selection Tim, Lemurophoenix is my favorite :drool: it is looking great.

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Yep.... my Lemurophoenix is officially dead!!! The cold snap did it, I think....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

:( Was it in the ground Ari ??

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c

Peter, still in pots here although I have given some as gifts to others who have planted.

Bruce, thanks man, the Lemur is growing nicely. The new leaf is spectacular.

Ari, you must not be talking to it enough. Is Scott helping out?

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Tim, how big was the Lemur when you planted it, I have four of them and I am a bit scared to plant any out because I lost one a few years ago to borers and they are impossible to replace. :unsure:

Bruce

:( Was it in the ground Ari ??

Yes, Bruce... it was doing well until the dry season hits!! I thought it was protected enough under canopy. I guess not....

Tim,

Probably not enough talking... but life has been pretty hectic lately. And Yes, I have my helper back....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yep.... my Lemurophoenix is officially dead!!! The cold snap did it, I think....

:( Bummer Ari...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Get it in the ground Tim! I was talking with Rob Bobson(president Tropical Flowering Tree Society and nursery owner) in Florida yesterday. I sent him several hundred seeds, almost all of which germinated, and he sold them all. Fabulous tree. Now you need to get a Cassia bakeriana :-)

San Fernando Valley, California

Bruce, mine were in 2 gallon post when I planted out. The one in the pic was planted in the summer of '08 and I just planted another one about 3 months ago in a different location.

Not real fast, but steady. Back in 2008 we were still coning back and forth so any palms I acquired on our trips here I had to plant regardless of size. Have been really lucky even

with stuff in 4" liners. The only palms I've lost from borers were both Actinorhytis.

Ok Peter, I'll plant one of them in the next couple of days. I was thinking of making one a bonsai as well. Looks like it would be spectacular as a miniature.

Ari, you have 'cold snaps' in Darwin? I thought you only had wet and dry to worry about.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Ari, sorry to hear of the demise of your Lemur. They are cold hardy in Brisbane. Dryness is their biggest enemy.

Palms are the king of trees

Brod

Brisbane, Australia

28 latitude, sub tropical

summer average 21c min - 29c max

winter average 10c min - 21c max

extremes at my place 5c - 42c

1100 average rainfall

I am also interested in the phrase "cold snap" under the heading "Darwin", this is surely dry (season) Aussie humour?

Growing palms in the warm temperate zone at 35°S latitude. Not much frost (or heat either), but plenty of wind and rain. Ave temp about 15.5°C (60°F), Rainfall about 1400mm (55 inches).

Well... April was typical wet season month.... max 35 and min 25 with 80% humidity. May was max 32 and min 10 (debatable because I think we were on single digit the other night) with 20% humidity. So, it is a cold snap for us. Usually we don't get this cold & dry till June. This is the coldest May in record. For those ultra tropical plants, it is a huge change in the space of a few days. If it is more gradual, it would've been fine. Another one that I might loose is the unknown Heterospathe. And yes.... they are all getting watered.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

• 3 weeks later...

post-512-049614100 1304749243_thumb.jpg

Mauritia flexousa

post-512-082858000 1304749269_thumb.jpg

Raphia... supposed to be finifera but I think it is australis?

post-512-092557300 1304749308_thumb.jpg

Corypha umbraculifera

Ari, I found a photo of your C.umbraculifera...

This was two and a half years ago...that's pretty impressive growth!

post-42-031356700 1308658601_thumb.jpg

post-42-004569800 1308658983_thumb.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Wow... I know it was fast.... but I never realise it was that fast. Now that you showed the photos... I am even happier :). Thanks Daryl.

p.s. your palm opened the spear and another one is coming too. Hopefully it will be ok (touch wood)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wow Ari - I can't believe it's the same palm!

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

• 2 years later...

The originator of the thread wrote: OK, time for everyone to post photos of their monsters...palms that are either already huge, or palms that one day WILL be huge...

and of course you couldn't help yourselves could you, laugh.gif

I'll put us back on track, Wal--here's my, "one day, she will be a monster" palm... any guesses? biggrin.gif

Is that a pictures of "Sport" (Harvey Keitel's character) from the movie "Taxi Driver"?

• 10 months later...